• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

River's Campaign

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
The guard guided them through the doorway into a well-lit, cozy home. He offered them a seat on the couch around a small coffee table, this room being to the right of the hallway they'd just walked through. "I sure hope you don't doubt my honesty, it would make my proposition pretty darn useless" The guard raised his eyebrows, looking directly into Gaelen's eyes. "So," he continued, "I really need some help, but I can't tell you what it is unless you accept. I'll admit, it's going to be very dangerous, but I'd give anything for your aid. All my money? I don't really know what you're interested in, but you can have whatever you want. Heck, I'd even give you my soul" He paused, giving them a moment to register what he'd said, looking up at the pair hopefully.

“A healthy amount of skepticism has kept me alive so far” Gaelen pointed out, choosing to stand by the couch instead after they’d followed the man into his home. It was warm, cozy. The sort of place you wanted to come back to every night, not go around risking your neck for pointless tasks. If that alone hadn’t been enough to prove how dire this situation was, then the Guard’s desperate offer of payment certainly would have.

Sharing a curious look with Therion beside him, Gaelen took a moment to consider the man’s words before meeting his eyes again “Well, there’s no real profit in ‘souls’ in my particular line of business, so you can keep that one to yourself” he responded, regarding the man carefully. “And I reckon your sweetheart out there might not be to thrilled with you offering that out so readily” he could see now why she was so worried.

“I can’t really make promises in the name of the rest of the group, but what I can do is assure you I won’t share any details unless they agree to the same terms you’ve offered me” Swats might be swayed by the offer of payment, Andryn had some personal connection to the matter, and Orryna and Therion seemed to be the sort to do the right thing just because it was right, but that didn’t mean any of them were willing to die over this. “I speak only for myself when I say I accept, but I’ll need to know exactly what I’m getting myself into here. Then perhaps we can discuss payment” An elf had to eat after all “How about we start somewhere simple. Your name perhaps?”

RushingRiver RushingRiver Thanny Thanny Experienced Optimist Experienced Optimist

With her parting words Therion gave her some of his own, “Consider it done.” Shortly after, the guard came about and Therion kept his mouth shut and let Gaelen do the talking. They were brought into a nice enough home and offered a seat on a couch next to a coffee table.

Therion took a seat and listened to what the guard had to… ”Wait...WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?!?!” He thought as he listened. The Guard had just offered his soul as potential payment...that would not do. Therion rested his elbows on his knees, interlocked his fingers and rested his head against his hands after he exchanged a look with Gaelen. Therion was angry. He was glad that Gaelen had discounted the offer of the soul but Therion was still angry. As Gaelen had asked his question, Therion spoke in his normal calm and gentle voice, “I am sorry Gaelen but before we get to that.” He raised his head and looked the Guard dead in the eyes before continuing, “Are...you...stupid? Are you that stupid that you would throw your life away? It’s clear that you’re desperate but do you not care about that woman's feeling so much that you would throw your life away?” His voice as he spoke was not his normal calm and gentle tone he normally used. Insted it sounded streaned, as if it was trying to hold back something. “If you’re going to have me even consider helping you then you have to promise me that you will not even try to make a deal like exchanging your soul or life for something that you can not see through to the end and that you will not put yourself in any unnecessary danger again. I don’t doubt your trustworthiness but I do doubt your intelligence.” This time it was clear that it was anger he spoke with, no strain on his voice and he was practically shouting. He took a deep breath to steady himself before saying something else. The final thing he said was not with his anger but with his worry for the Guard’s well-being as well as...pain?, “There are people that care for you, don’t throw them away.”

Roll
Persuasion to convince the Guard

14 + 3 = 17

Last edited:
- Swats-at-Light-a-Lot -

Swats eyed the nearby tree with a passion unbridled. That tail . . . it's so . . . bushy and seemed exceptionally soft. She wondered if . . . no, tacking on another animal's tail to her person, even as a glorious item of luscious tail fur, was not as grand as figuring out this mystery, plus as tantalising as running her hand through that velvety fur sounded, her own fur was quite soft as it was, likely softer! Yes, that helped her excitement die down.

The woman from before slipped further down the street after discussing things with the cleric, and the three men stepped inside one of the nearby buildings. She sadly could not hear any of the conversation, but she did indeed keep an eye out for anything out of the norm, turning her head back and forth and even to look behind her in the street to see if there was anyone who was out of the ordinary, anyone who did not seem like they belonged.

The sounds of the cleric rose into the night even through the walls and thatched (?) roof, allowing Swats to hear him. She stiffened in horror at first, wondering what had befallen the group, then relaxed. It seemed that he was merely trying to make a point, so she continued her duties of keeping watch.

Final roll for Perception for spotting bad guys: 7 + 3 = 10 (Absolutely normal.)

The guard cleared his throat, clearly trying to hold back tears. "Our... our daughter disappeared four years ago. I would throw my life away any day just to know that she's safe! Do you know how hard it is? One day, out of the blue, just gone! Disappeared without a trace! That's why I joined the police a couple months ago, thought it would help me find her. My wife wants me to give up. She says there's no way we'll ever get her back after so long." The guard realized he was shouting, and sunk himself into the couch, lowering his voice. "When I saw you guys, you seemed different. You seemed to genuinely care about your actions. When I make promises, I intend to keep them. Promising to not put myself in danger for my child is not one I can keep, and if you're not going to help me, you might as well leave." He clenched his jaw and waited expectantly, silently assuming they were going to leave, as all others had before.

With his attention set on the guard, Gaelen almost didn’t notice Therion’s gentle words at his side asking for a chance to interject. He was glad he did though, because what started as a soft interruption escalated into a strained reprimand, and then a furious reproach so quickly that even Gaelen was left at a loss for words, and he wasn’t even the one being spoken to. It was surprising how easily the young cleric’s temper could flare when it came to this subject. It wasn’t anger though, not really, that didn’t sit right with what little he’d learned of Therion, perhaps more along the lines of frustration, but there was definitely more fire behind him than his gentle exterior might suggest at first glance.

“Therion” he called softly, after he’d found his words again, willing the other to settle down, or at least keep his voice lower. The last thing they needed was attention. It was the guard that spoke next though, catching Gaelen’s attention and all at once explaining so many of the man’s actions.

After a pause to allow what the man said to sink in, Gaelen spoke again. “I’m sorry, about your daughter I mean” he told the man “I get it; being willing to give anything you have to bring someone you’ve lost. Wishing it was you and not them. Certainly easier to be the one lost than to be the one left behind to mourn them. It’s selfish, but not stupid” The elf paused for a moment, running his hand uneasily over the nape of his neck as he considered the new information. “My decision hasn’t changed. I’m willing to help, or try anyways. But I hope you understand as well, a lot can happen in four years. There’s no guarantees here”

Last edited:
RushingRiver RushingRiver Thanny Thanny Experienced Optimist Experienced Optimist

That explains why he offered his soul. Therion now knew why he made that offer. “That just made it worse.” He thought as he rested his chin on his hands. As Gaelen spoke, Therion considered his next words very carefully. With his words chosen, he lowered his hand and spoke in an extremely respectful tone, “I apologise for calling you stupid since your reason is sound and I respect that and your resolve.” He bowed as he spoke. With that said he raised and continued, “Consider me a part of this too. But now that we know why, that means that you can’t throw your life away for anything unnecessary. Your Daughter WILL need you after this is over as we don’t know who the Mother is and we will not be able to look after her if you die.” He spoke with resolution to show he didn’t want to see an innocent be in harm's way or left alone. “A child should never be without a parent.” The last thing Therion said had something in it that even Therion didn’t know, was it regret?

Scouring her mind for any useful information and coming up woefully short, the half elf tries to mask her discontent, eventually giving the tiefling a wry smile, though it feels insufficient. She’s shoddy at these sorts of things the best of times, and this evening has tested her patience far more than she’d care to admit. So Orryna’s grateful when Andryn lets the matter rest and moves on to more pressing concerns. As for Thrag, if he has any grievances with her behaviour, he hasn't made them known. Hopefully that was a good sign, though time would tell soon enough.

Drawing the canteen from her belt, the paladin takes a gulp of stale water and grunts in acknowledgement. None of them seemed especially promising at first glance, at least from what she could make of it. Then again, this sort of crime-solving wasn’t typically her sort of thing- the woman usually preferred to handle clear cut ordeals. Thugs attacking some travelling merchants? Hunt ‘em down and see that they compensate the poor blokes. But some mystery arson with no discernible reasoning? With so little to go on, she frankly hadn’t a clue whether they’d get to the bottom of things. “From what you’ve told us, it’s the man and woman duo which sound sketchy. If your former employer was the sort to keep to themselves, it sounds like they must’ve had some history or arrangement tying them together.”

“Mind you, only way we’ll know for certain is if we can find and ask ‘em.”
the half-elf continues, pausing to approach one of the cracks in the door and scan for any foot traffic. Glancing back to the tiefling, Orryna bites her lip, uncertain how quite to proceed. “Pardon, ahh, I know this must be a lot for you, and I don’t mean to be rude or nothing. But I’ve just got to know- is this something you really want to get into? If this was planned, if someone did put a hit on your boss, well, they likely won’t take kindly to someone digging through their dirt. I don’t know this place, the folk, where this path leads… but it might put you in the crosshairs of some nasty people.” she warns Andryn, firm but not unkind.

The paladin wrestles internally for a few moments, debating whether what she’s thinking is really such a good idea. This whole business had fallen into her lap by pure coincidence- she owed nothing to any of these people. The closest semblance of a plan she’d had before tonight was milling in town to try and take on a couple quests and get some coin before continuing her pilgrimage. Visit some temples, try to get in Helm’s good graces, and pray Alba’s got it right that things’ll work themselves out- that’s what I’m going off of. Just really hope this doesn’t come back to bite me.

“If you really believe though that there’s something fishy going on ‘round here, and you don’t think you’ll be able to move on until you get this sorted out…. well, I can’t speak for the others, of course. But I’ll try and help ya find some answers, best as I can anyways.” Orryna offers, her expression one of resolve. “You don't have to decide now- for now, we'd ought to focus on the evidence we do have. You know someone who can translate Goblin, by chance? Though, we’d best wait for the others to return, hmm? Unless you’re real keen to get started, that is... wouldn't advise it myself- seems a bit risky, what with the guards maybe out hunting us an' all that... you got anything to say 'bout all this, Thrag?”

Rolls:

Perception (Checking the street outside for guards/townsfolk): 4+3 = 7

RushingRiver RushingRiver DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird pointmango pointmango

Last edited:
To his surprise, the pair seemed empathetic. They offered their apologies, which he accepted with a nod, and agreed to help him. He smiled and extended his hand for a shake. "I am overly grateful for your willingness to help me" he had seemed to have brushed off the anger and sadness from only a few moments ago, although it still lingered in his eyes. "Also," he added, "the mother is my wife, Kaelynn"

He got up and closed the blinds to the windows. "So. I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't talk here. Why don't you guys go home, or to your inn and chat with the others. I'll send a message about any further meetings." The guard stopped and grimaced. "Also, I don't think it was a coincidence what happened tonight. The whole, bar got burned down thing." he took a piece of paper and wrote down something. He shielded it with his body as he flipped it around for his guests to see. It read: Berley Bok was also found dead tonight. Odd that his bar would have accidentally burned down the same day, wouldn't you agree? He cleared his throat and tucked the paper into his pocket. "Seriously, you guys should head out, it's getting late"

*Cue the suspenseful music*

Orryna peers outside to see the beautiful trees. There didn't seem to be anything else. Just a bunch of trees, in fact, they were surrounded by trees.

Last edited:
Despite how grateful the guard seemed at their words, Gaelen hesitated for a moment to shake the offered hand. Galen was far from an honest elf, but he didn’t give out promises he didn’t intend to keep, so what exactly was he promising here? To return his daughter safe a sound? He couldn’t promise something he believed was likely impossible. Revenge then? Perhaps that wasn’t what the man was hoping for, but it was something Gaelen could offer. And a desire the elf could personally understand. With a nod, he shook the man’s hand.

“Will you be able to find us? We’re trying to avoid being all too obvious right now” Gaelen asked as the man closed the blinds. They weren’t guilty of anything, but escaping as they had likely didn’t look good on them when there were no other suspects around. Still, the wood elf didn’t have long to linger on that particular though, his attention instead on the words being shown to him and Therion. Careful not to let the surprise show on his face, in case they were being watched, Gaelen again gave a curt nod as he pulled his hood back over his head. “If we don’t hear from you in the next couple of days, we’ll come find you instead then” he offered. “And do be careful. Don’t make your wife mourn two losses”

After waiting to make sure Therion was coming with him, Gaelen slipped out back to the streets, keeping an eye out to make sure they weren’t being followed as they made their way back to their current hideout.

Rolls:
Perception to make sure they’re not being followed
12 + 4 = 16

Swats, having kept an eye out and seeing her companions slip out into the open streets, let out a sigh that somewhat sounded like a purr when she realised no one was following them. She lifted herself over the lip of the roof she was on so that she could vault and slide down the shingled or thatched roof down to the ground close by (Acrobatics). For the most part everything went according to plan, but things went downhill when she hit a jutting shingle with her left arm, tearing at her clothing a good ways in two different locations and scathing her arm (damage) a little bit. Clicking her tongue in the end after an adequate landing, she started a Mending spell, allowing the clothing to mend itself together. Thank goodness that it was less than a standard foot in length, and doubly thank goodness that it did not rip up her arm even worse.

"So, how did it go?" she uttered to either Gaelen or Therion, helping by looking about for any other suspicious individuals as well (Perception). So far she had seen nothing of note, but she wondered if anybody else out there was keeping an eye on the house as well as themselves. "Swats heard shouting, but nothing easily listened to. Thick roofs, these. Might be handy to look into these to help Andryn out."

Acrobatics: 7+2 = 9
Perception: 11+3 = 14
1 damage for athletics check.
(Why can't I get good rolls?)

Last edited:

Berley Bok, the person that Andryn was looking for, was found dead tonight. This just became complicated. Therion didn’t know what they would do next but decided to discuss it with Gaelen and Swats on the way back. He decided to stand up and shake his hand alongside Gaelen and left without a word.

As Therion and Gaelen came out, Swats came down to meet them. When she asked her question Therion responded with, “It would be best to discuss it with the others as there is a condition to this...and it suddenly became a bit complicated.” He then asked Gaelen, “So, how do you want to handle that last piece of information? I know someone who would like to know but I don’t know if we should just blurt it out to them.” Concern about the persons well being clearly in his voice. As they walked, Therion kept his eyes and ears out for any unwanted attention.

Roll
Perception to spot guards

6 + 3 = 9

Gaelen found himself pleased as the Tabaxi joined up with them again, though curious of the mending spell that was going on even as she joined them. Swats didn’t seem overly concerned about it, so he paid no mind to it either, instead focusing on he question. “There’s a couple of things going on actually. Which may or may not be related to each other” he answered, keeping his words vague both due to his promise not to reveal any details unless the others agreed to help, and under the concern that someone might be watching them. “Not allowed to say much unless you agree to help. Not entirely sure what we’d be getting into exactly, but I do know we’d be paid for our efforts. Don’t know about you, but I could certainly use some gold”

Therions comment had Gaelen turning to him next, mulling over the suggestion for a bit before shaking his head. “It is what it is. Breaking the news to her gently won’t make it any less true or permanent” he reasoned “I do think she’s entitled to know regardless of whether she wants to help or not. If it makes you feel better, you can be the one to tell her. As long as you do so tonight”

There were no guards in sight as the trio headed down the road back to the abandoned house where the others were staying. Although, just a few minutes into their walk, Swats and Gaelen spot a small figure sprinting across the street and recognize the pointy ears of a goblin.

Back at the abandoned house... Orryna peers outside. The trees now loom over her, and all of a sudden, an acorn drops on her head. Take two damage.

Andryn scratches lightly at her brow, pondering over Orryna's words. She agreed that the pair were more likely suspects than that one halfling--but then again, maybe they weren't suspects at all. They might as well be unrelated to everything that's happened so far. "It would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. A yellow needle, at that." she admits, sighing. Sticking to that one bit of maybe-needless information wasn't going to help. Not that they had much information to begin with. A fire. A note written in Goblin. Berley's strange associates. Andryn just hoped that once Gaelen, Swats, and Therion returned, they'd have more to add to the list.

If they return, at least. She still put out a sliver of hope that they wouldn't turn tail and abandon, but then there was the possibility of guards looking around for them. They could very well be in a smaller, metal wagon right now.

"Is this something I really want to get into?" she repeats the question, wondering about it herself. "Truth be told, I don't think my boss even knows my name--and I definitely wasn't hired for the purpose of investigating tavern fires--but..." she pauses. But what? What exactly was it that was telling her to get to the bottom of this? The tiefling stood up, sighing. "Honestly, I don't know. I suppose it's the fact that I don't have much left in my life, save for this ramshackle house. Might as well see where this'll take me." she admits, shrugging. What she said was a half-truth, or rather the lesser half of a truth. Mainly, she wanted to find out simply because she knew her curiosity wouldn't let her sleep with an unanswered question. Andryn realizes, with surprise, how aimless her current goals and decisions were, if simple curiosity was all it took to move.

"As for gathering more evidence--I believe you're right in saying that we ought to wait for the others. We don't have much to go on from at the moment, and whatever they come back with might be important," she says, approaching the house entrance and opening the door. "You suppose they should be returning by now?" she asks curiously as she peeks her head outside, looking at the direction of the town proper to see if any familiar figures were approaching (Perception, wish me luck).

Andryn leans against the fireplace and tilts her head at Orryna, "And what about you? Are you sure you want to get into this? I mean, what you said in regards to running the risk of angering nasty people can apply just as much to you as it does for me."

Rolls:
Perception to see Gaelen, Swats, and/or Therion: 4 + 3 = 7 (whyyyyyyy)

clarinetti clarinetti RushingRiver RushingRiver

Even as he was discussing their plans on divulging information, a hint of movement caught Gaelen's eye. If Therion had any complaints on his reasoning, he'd have to wait to voice them later, because the elf immediately broke off to give chase after the figure.

Perhaps it would have been wise to consider whether it was a good idea to go sprinting after a goblin through a town they were potentially wanted in, and without considering the other two members in their current group, but Gaelen tended to be an act now and figure out the details later sort of person. All he knew was there was there was a goblin in town, a sketchy situation already, and they had a note written in goblin back at their hideout that they had no way of reading. Perhaps this could be a solution to that particular problem, and maybe even offer answers to their other questions as well.

Rolls:
Acrobatics to chase goblin
7 + 5 = 12

- Swats-at-Light-a-Lot -

The Tabaxi glanced between the two with curiosity dancing in her eyes, but neither seemed to budge until she agreed to enter their vow. In the end, though, Gaelen seemed accepting, but that only defeated the interest in entering this secrecy. What was a moment of excitement without a little risk?

"This is fine," she responded, nodding her head in concord and looking toward Therion. She also caught a glimpse of something stumpy with pointy ears in the background, but discredited it. "If you both are in agreement, Swats will agree as w- . . . where'd Gaelen go?"

Indeed, where did he go, as he was nowhere close by. In fact, from the sounds of footfalls before her, that was him running off into the gloom of night, heading after a . . . GOBLIN! So that was the pointy-eared stump from earlier. She looked at Therion for but a moment before breaking off as well, whispering within earshot of Therion, "Come with Swats!" before dashing off.

The goblin could not be getting very far. This seemed like a small island, and with a small city, though she had not travelled through the entirety of it yet. Perhaps there was a sewer system beneath it that housed the creatures, or maybe the goblins were from a cave system nearby. If memory served her well, goblins adored caves and other stinking holes. She would fit in, not because she had a love for goblins or stinking holes or caves, but because she had a certain spell that made it easy for infiltration: Disguise Self. She could not use it yet -- what good would it be if the goblin spotted Gaelen and another goblin chasing after him? -- but it could be handy later.

She kept her distance from Gaelen, a little winded because she was not very athletic, but her eyes fixated on the goblin in case he made a swerve left or right through a different alley. If she can make heads or tails of the city, she could spring a trap with the spell Grease, but that too would have to wait. Today was certainly interesting, she thought to herself.

Upon feeling an unexpected pang at the crown of her head, Orryna eyes pivot above, attention solely focussed on the branches arching over the house. After staring intently for a long moment, her gaze shifts to the woods surrounding their temporary shelter, sending a withering glare to the flora before shuffling back inside, holding her glaive a bit tighter than before.

Catching Andryn’s voice echoing her eyes, dark eyes lock onto the tiefling. Listening carefully to the girl’s words, the half-elf is caught off guard by the bartender’s honesty- it’s not often you get such a blunt response from folks. She’s unsure whether to chide such openness or admire it. Either way, a twinge of pity wells up in the paladin’s chest- one could not help but be somewhat sympathetic to a wayward soul with nothing to anchor them… at least, that’s the sort of thing she could see her old mentor saying. If you wanted to cut to the chase, the solution was as simple as deciding what one wants in life, figuring out how to get there, and working to achieve that objective. But Orryna got the sense that this was not the sort of advice the tiefling was looking for right now, so she merely hums and grunts a short “Fair enough.” in acknowledgement, otherwise keeping her silence until Andryn finished speaking.

“…If things went smoothly, maybe. If problems arose, they may be a while yet.” the dark haired woman replies with a grimace, clearly none too pleased by this. She was confident that they had come to an understanding of sorts, and that the elf and tabaxi valued their lives enough that they would return to report their findings. If misfortune befell them, that would perhaps limit their means of gathering evidence to absolve them of the charges… but so long as they didn’t try to scapegoat them, it wouldn’t be such a great setback. If the bunch ended up vanishing, perhaps she could convince Andryn that the deviants had in fact played a part in the fire and bring this to the city guard. As for the young cleric, they were most likely an innocent bystander, one who unfortunately got wrapped up in the duo’s plans. A bit unsavoury, perhaps, but Orryna was convinced that of the lot who’d been taken into custody, those two were the most likely to have a criminal record. Better they end up behind bars than the rest of them.

Hopefully it didn’t come down to that.

“Does us no good to worry about that though- let’s give ‘em a bit more time, and see what happens.” the paladin states with a shrug before moving on to the young woman’s question. Andryn may be comfortable being so open with new acquaintances, but she personally does not share that same ease. There’s no reason to exposit her motives and aspirations to a near complete stranger. After all, going out making brazen declarations and promoting ones’ plans often does little to make such goals come true. Instead, a dry smirk pricks at her lips, a flash of teeth appearing as she eyes the bard. “As for your other point, well, let’s just say I’m good at dealing with unpleasant people. If it earns me some coin and good karma, all the better.”

Taking another gulp from the canteen, Orryna finds herself longing for something with a bit more bite and scowls. “Tell me if I’m prying or anything, but do you have any, err, acquaintances who might wish to do you harm? Not that I find it likely- can’t see why anyone would wish harm on either a barkeep or a musician for that matter.” she comments offhand, uncertain whether to continue talking or just leave the poor girl in peace.

Therion didn’t get too much time to ponder what he would do when Gaelen dashed off, Swats followed and said for him to follow Swats. “What in the...never mind. Just tell me along the way.” Said Therion as he followed Swats. As he ran with Swats, he now knew to keep his eyes out for Gaelen and whoever he was chasing.

Roll

Perception to spot Gaelen and whoever he is chasing

20 + 3 = 23

Upon seeing the figure, Gaelen sprints off at full speed, chasing the goblin through the dark alleys. The elf's hasty departure left Swats and Therion darting after him. The group were quite fast, and could easily catch up with the small humanoid, but the goblin knew these streets quite well, and he already had about a 20ft lead. It would take a bit more than a foot pursuit to take full custody of the situation. There was also one other problem. If both of Therion's partners continue running at full speed, he could fall far behind.

The goblin quickly cuts around the right corner and disappears. *Anyone without darkvision has a disadvantage on perception rolls, as the group are now without street lamps*

Andryn cannot see Gaelen, Swats or Therion.

- Swats-at-Light-a-Lot -

The Tabaxi was not that far behind Gaelen in the end, bobbing and weaving through the streets, and there was a short lead between her and her quarry. There was also the darkness about her, potentially concealing the goblin from the others. This made her quite valuable, and she smiled in acknowledgement of the situation. She was a Tabaxi, built for short stints of speed, and she had the ability to see in the dark, as the green sheen in her eyes dictated. Making use of Feline Agility and darkvision, she surged forward to catch up to the goblin's twenty-foot lead and attempted something: a grapple with her arm surging forward to snatch at his cloak and pull him to a stop. Such was not her specialty, but if it resulted in success this would save everyone quite the chase.

Roll:
Perception: 4+3 = 7
Grapple [my strength check (-1 modifier) versus the goblin's strength check (??? modifier) to drop the goblin's speed to 0]: 11 - 1 = 10

Last edited:

As they ran after the figure, no one told Therion who they were after but he did see the figure duck into a dark alley. “Oh great, nice, wonderful. I have no idea why we are chasing this person and now they are hiding in a dark alley. By Diancecht, I hope I’m not going to end up hunting down an innocent bystander.” Thought Therion. As he entered the dark alley, he squinted his eyes, looking for whoever this person was and then if he could find them catch them.

Roll

Perception roll to find the hidden person disadvantage

Roll 1 : 13 + 3 = 16 Not used
Roll 2 : 7 + 3 = 10 Used

Running was something Gaelen was used to. It was unfortunately often that a friendly smile and a million offered platitudes were not actually enough to make people forget they’d just been scammed out of their gold, so sprinting down city streets was hardly taxing on the elf. It was, however, keeping track of the goblin, that proved a challenge. Just as it seemed he was gaining on it, a sharp turn broke his line of vision and the goblin suddenly slipped from sight.

Gaelen cursed under his breath, vaguely aware that Swats and Therion had joined him in the chase as well, but far more focused on the task at hand. The lack of light didn’t bother him as he looked around for any signs of where it might have gone, he was used to traversing woods at night with only broken bits of moonlight to guide him, but it was clear this goblin knew the streets, and where to hide, far better than the rest of them.

Rolls:
(Somehow not awful) Perception
16 + 4 = 20

The tiefling takes in Orryna's words, nodding and giving a lopsided smile. "Fair enough," she echoes as a response, playfulness back in her eyes. Coin was an easy and simple reason, and Andryn couldn't blame Orryna for wanting some. Everyone did, these days, Andryn included.

She watches the half-elf take a swig, noticing the scowl on Orryna's face. Shaking her head, Andryn smiles, "No, not to worry, you're not prying," she answers, contemplating the question. The smile on her face drops for a moment before returning just as quickly. "I guess it's safe to say that I've no acquaintances, save for the drunk ones I end up kicking out of the tavern. Then again, they don't remember me enough to wish to do me harm." she answers with a grin, leaving her position at the fireplace and beginning to pace around the room.

The pacing continues for about a few more minutes or so, Andryn casting occasional glances at the door and taking out the two notes once in a while. "Ya think we should have come with them?" the tiefling soon asks, "Or, I dunno, at least done something other than stay in this house and contemplate?"

She approaches the door, pushing it open and taking one step out.

clarinetti clarinetti

Andryn barely finishes getting the words out of her mouth as Orryna heaves her belongings over her shoulder and barges towards the tiefling. “Too late to regret that now- is what it is. But let’s put it this way.” She stops, glancing down to the barkeep with a solemn expression. “Say they got in the thick of it, or turned tail- does us no good to twiddle our thumbs here. And if someone does show up, looks worse to be hiding out in a ghost house than if we’re seen in town, right?” the half elf continues, brow raised as the cogs of the mind struggle to turn. It had been what, at least four hours since the incident at Bok’s? Guards would still be on alert, but besides the few who’d led them to the wagon, she doubt any of them got a good luck at ‘em. If nothing else, it probably would arouse less suspicion to move about in pairs.

Fuck it- she’d never been much good at sitting on her ass when something was afoot. They’d spent enough time waiting to see the outcome of a half-baked gamble. And if there was going to be trouble, the half-elf wanted a hot meal and a stein of ale to warm her insides and numb the pain.

“You know this town, yeah? How ‘bout we find ourselves a tavern, grab a drink, listen in on what gossip might be going ‘round? Folks talk, might be someone’s saw something we missed. If anyone asks, we tell the truth- we were there, taken aside for questioning, and then were let go. What do you say?” she proposes with a wily grin. Throwing a glance once more to the ruined interior, her brow furrows for a second before shaking her head gruffly. “If you want to leave some sign or message or whatever, telling ‘em what we’re doing, that’s your call. Else, would you care to guide us to a decent establishment?”

The young bard's words linger in the back of her mind: of her former employer and the drunken patrons whom she spent her nights serving- it sounded almost lonely, in a curious way. Orryna tucks the information away for the time being and says nothing more, offering what she hopes to be an encouraging smile.

Performance (Trying to be a nice/comforting person): 5+3 = 8

DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird

Users who are viewing this thread

Back