• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

River's Campaign

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Swats-at-Light-a-Lot

The Tabaxi, feeling impulsed to look at Gaelen when he mentioned the note given to him by the guard, looked on with her tail flickering and hands restless and wringing each other by the wrist. Her green eyes shone out from beyond her hood.

"Don't keep Swats waiting, please. Where is secret meeting place, and when? Swats is interested in learning more about what Swats was set up for, and has no lack of interest in getting back at the one who really did it." She glanced to the rest of the party members, as if analysing them, before continuing. "Agreed. Best for rest to lie in wait and be there if things go south. Not everybody needs to go, and if surrounded Swats is at great disadvantage. Though Gaelen received the letter. He's expecting Gaelen, not the cleric who helped in the last minute. Er, no offense, Therion," she ended, adding a slight bow. "If someone else approaches him, he might get spooked. Swats might get spooked in the same situation."

Last edited:
"The paper says 61 Coaterie" Gaelen read out loud, passing the paper on so other in the room could read it and remember it. He made a face at the Tabaxi's suggestion, never one to be thrilled about walking into a potential trap, but Swats did have a good point. If he were expecting to meet with someone secretly, he'd surely back away right there. The rogue took a moment to glance around the room at the rag tag little group that had formed there, deciding whether he could trust them to pull his butt out of the fire if things did indeed go wrong. With his mind made up, and knowing they had no time to waste, he nodded and stood.

"Alright, Swats makes an unfortunate good point. I'll go then" he accepted, taking the other slip of paper, the one with Goblin written onto it, and handed it over to Andryn. "If this is a trap, and things do go wrong, don't want this stuck in a cell with me" Perhaps not his brightest idea; keeping the paper might have served as a guarantee that they would want to keep him safe, but he'd made the decision to trust this lot. Hopefully he wouldn't live to regret it. "Times running out though, we need to move now. Whoever's coming, stay on your toes, anyone who's not can stay here and lay low for the time being"

Andryn lightly kicks off some crumbled wood from what had once been the house's fireplace, sitting once pieces had been cleared off. "You're all free to stay here for as long as you want, though I'd have to refuse the offer of repairs, Therion. Maybe one day, but we've got more important matters at the moment." she says, offering a small smile to the cleric. Internally, however, Andryn had the feeling that said day wouldn't ever come. All of them were, after all, still strangers to one another. A collaborative escape from a wagon may have changed that, but only slightly. They were probably going to part ways once this was all over.

Or, worst case scenario, they were all going to end up sharing a prison cell.

When Gaelen hands her the unintelligible note, Andryn raises an eyebrow in a mixture of both surprise and confusion. The elf's following explanation quashes the confusion, although the slight surprise still remains. She'd expected Gaelen to hold on to the paper, but it seemed she was wrong. "Well, then, who's going? Swats? Orryna? Therion? Thrag?" she inquires, pocketing the note. "I'll probably be laying low this time around--these series of events need some pondering over...though, Gaelen, can I take a look at that note the guard gave you?"

“If you’re looking to avoid detection or need to make a quick getaway, I ought to stay as well.” the paladin suggests, gesturing to the chainmail by way of explanation. Truthfully, she had no desire to be seen in public after their earlier antics, but the reasoning remained sound- she’d be more likely to blow their cover than be of much assistance. Here, if nothing else, they could keep watch over their temporary abode and tackle any intruders at an advantage. “Perhaps we can take stock of our situation, figure out where to go from here.” the woman proposes, giving a weak smile to Andryn and the rest of this motley group. From what Orryna could make of it, this lot were little more than unfortunate bystanders caught up in someone else’s mess. To help them come out of this dilemma unscathed was the least she could do.

Her frame shifts slightly, turning to look to those departing for the rendezvous. Carefully eyeing the Tabaxi and Elf, Orryna's brow furrows slightly, better able to assess the two of them now they are no longer in such cramped quarters. “We’ll be expecting your return- take care not to draw undue attention. If you’re not back in a few hours, we’ll assume things went south.” she addresses them sternly, dark irises scrutinizing the pair in the dim light. “If either of you double-cross us to save your own hides… best make sure you do it proper, lest your head ends up atop a spike.”

Intimidation:
20+5 = 25

RushingRiver RushingRiver Thanny Thanny Experienced Optimist Experienced Optimist DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird clarinetti clarinetti pointmango pointmango

As Therion got in he heard what Andryn, the Tiefling, said in response to his offer. He just nodded, placed his backpack and gear in a corner and leaned against the wall as he listened to Gaelen. When he heard what Swats had said he just smiled and said, “None taken.” with a slight giggle. He did think that if he was going to go with them to the meeting place then he shouldn’t be trying to sneak around.

“I’ll go with you, but please don’t expect me to sneak around. This Chainmail of mine isn’t what you would call quite.” Said Therion, raising his arms to allow his mail to jingle to emphasise his point. “I will be with you. That way, if things do ‘go south’ then I can assist you a lot better.” Nodding towards Gaelen as he spoke. With his intentions made clear he had another question, “Now I must apologise for this next question but might I ask who is Orryna and who is Thrag? I ask because everyone seems to know who everyone else is and I have been able to guess who Andryn, Swats and Gaelen are by listening to what everyone says to who but that’s it I’m afraid.” Nodding his head towards each of the people that he recognised as he said their names.

Getting ready to leave, Gaelen paused when the paladin's attention was turned to him and Swats, eyeing Orryna carefully as she leveled her threat at them. Somehow, he didn't doubt the conviction in her words, nor did he really have any difficulty imagining just how efficiently make sure their heads did, indeed, end atop a spike. The elf swallowed, and readjusted his cloak around him, as if to tuck himself into the relative safety of his cowl. "Don't you worry. I always do my double crossings proper" he responded with a wry smile, though still took a half step away from the paladin.

"Ok. So Therion is with me, Swats is following unseen. The rest of you are staying here to figure out our next step" Seemed like a solid enough plan, at least about as solid as his usual plans were. Which is to say, about as flimsy as a house of cards in a windy day, but at least he wasn't relying only on himself for once. "If all goes well, we shouldn't take too long to get back" He took a moment to hand the gurad's note to Andryn as well, before leading the way out of the house.

Finding the address in question wouldn't be too hard, Gaelen had seen the street when he fist arrived in town. Now it was just a matter of getting there without running into any other guards on the way.

Rolls:
Perception to notice and avoid any guards on the way to 61 Coaterie
(Except for the guard we're trying to meet, of course):
18 + 4 = 22

- Swats-at-Light-a-Lot -

Swats glanced down at the paper, committing it to memory before passing it on by muttering it three times. At least the information was not much in the case that she had to walk inside a police-governed Zone of Truth, but it did leave much to be desired. A simple address, and apparently in the middle of a block. Easy to get trapped, hard to escape -- hopefully the location had alleys into which to scoot if this was indeed a trap, but the paladin Orryna's comment and subsequent glare made Swats swallow whatever collected saliva she had and stop her hand-wringing.

While she was not a double-crosser, she did have plans that, if everything did indeed become horrid, she would have a clean escape route. These were not friends nor clanmates nor fellows. They were people that might have been a greater threat to her safety than remaining with her family business back in Chult, and Orryna definitely made her panic internally.

"Swats will go," she said, not daring to tack on the additional comment of "But only out of interest in the situation." The paladin scared her duly, and she had no desire to be on her bad side. Having guards that would imprison her is one thing. Having a headhunter following her around, possibly from place to place, is another. "Let's head off. The sooner we can scout the scene, the better."

Glancing at Therion who was confused as to who was who, she said, "Walk with Swats" and continued out the door. "Orryna is the dark-haired scary one, and Thrag is the one with an infatuation with poultry, the half-orc . . . or full-orc. Swats is unsure, but Thrag looks more human or elf than orc. Also . . . Swats thanks Therion for the assistance earlier. So grateful. Prison is not Swats' favourite place, not that Swats has ever been in a cell." She looked up toward him, managing a cat-like smile. "Now, Swats should break off. Watch for a shadow on the rooves. That's where Swats likes to be best."

And with that she broke off into the dead of night, finding the location and attempting to clamber up onto a low-hanging roof with a high jump. It took her longer than expected, and she had to find a better way up, which was sad considering she was a Tabaxi. She should know how to jump better. With that, she lay in wait as stealthily as she could at the time, hoping to be unnoticed.

Rolls:
Athletics = 9 - 1 = 8
Stealth = 8 + 5 = 13

The tiefling swallows a small lump on her throat as Swats, Gaelen, and Therion run off into the night. She'd been awkwardly quiet during the conversation between Orryna and the others, the half-elf's threat being so effective that it affected even the audience--that is, to say, what Andryn was. She wasn't too sure about what Therion felt about it, considering he wasn't one of the two people the threat was directed to--but she hoped it didn't scare the nice cleric off. All of them were already...not the most fine of people to be with, and Orryna's threat certainly didn't help with that. Although--perhaps it would prompt Gaelen and Swats to do the best they could.

Not that they probably weren't already doing that themselves. Andryn hoped they arrived at the rendezvous unscathed and undetected.

"Well, looks like it's just you and me now. And Thrag," she says to the paladin, stretching her arms and heading over to one of the areas provided with light by the rooftop holes. "Y'know, giving warnings is good and all--I mean we're all technically strangers to each other so I understand. But heads atop a pike? Overkill, I say," she shrugs, tone playful, though hopefully she didn't strike a nerve. Did she? Oh dear. Please no. Diverting her thoughts away from the small worry, Andryn takes out the two notes given by Gaelen and starts looking at them--a bit idly at first, before a thought came to her and she squinted at the pieces of paper hard.

"People seem fond of notes today..." she remarks, more to herself than anyone, though she eventually turns to Orryna. "This...firestarter we're looking for, do you think they're a spellcaster, or just the I-lit-a-match-then-kaboom kind of guy? They could even be one of those magic users who casts spells without words or movement. What do you think, based on what we know so far?"

Rolls:
Investigation check to compare the two papers to each other: 9 + 2 = 11

RushingRiver RushingRiver clarinetti clarinetti

RushingRiver RushingRiver Thanny Thanny Experienced Optimist Experienced Optimist DreamingBlackbird DreamingBlackbird clarinetti clarinetti pointmango pointmango

Therion was not too happy with how the Half-Elf spoke to Swats and Gaelen but understood why they did that. As they were about to head off Swats answered his question, The Half-Orc was Thrag and the Half-Elf was Orryna, “Thank you Swats. Now shall we be off?” he said to Swats in a gentle voice and then to both Swats and Gaelen in the same, trying to help them calm down. As they were walking, Therion made sure to keep an eye out for Guards as his two current companions were not exactly supposed to be there.

Roll
Perception to spot Guards.

19 + 3 = 22

The path through the dark streets and alleys was fairly clear, not a guard in sight. The roads were perhaps even peculiarly silent, with the occasional clopping of horses in the distance. In just under 20 minutes Gaelen had nearly reached his destination. A row of concrete apartments just ahead loomed over him; a blue sign attached to the street lamp read, Coaterie Dr. As he sneaks closer, he hears faint voices to his right. Across the drive (on the right), the numbers of the apartments read 58, 60...
Road ~> I
I ll58ll ll60ll llllllllll lllllll <~Apartments
----------------------------- I ---------faint voices--------- <~ Coaterie Dr.
I lllllllll lllllllll lllllllll lllllll <~ More apartments
l * <~Gaelen
(Really hope that makes sense. Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Thanny Thanny go ahead and copy the map onto your next post and add Swats and Therion in. If it doesn't make sense than I can make another map like the last.)

Andryn carefully examines the two papers in her hands. There are some similarities, they are both printed, as opposed to cursive, and the es, gs, hs, and as are pretty spot on. Still, Andryn could not tell if one hand had written both notes.

For everyone, one is a picture, and one is the original text. Use the text by quoting to change information:

1588645633690.png
Road ~> I
I ll58ll ll60ll llllllllll lllllll <~Apartments
----------------------------- I ---------faint voices--------- <~ Coaterie Dr.
I lllllllll lllllllll lllllllll lllSll <~ More apartments
l * <~Gaelen ^----Swats

- Swats-at-Light-a-Lot -

In return of the thank-you Therion provided, she merely smiled, happy to have assisted. Even on the rooftop, she felt rather glad about the situation, but the sound of hushed voices cut off whatever feelings she allowed to slip through the cracks.

The road ahead was quiet, almost eerily so, and she wondered what was happening. Hardly a visible person on the cobblestone street, and these skulking individuals, wherever they were, were whispering in the night? Interesting!

She let the cowl on her head slip backwards a little in an attempt to capture more information, her ears slipping out of the hood. With any luck she would be able to make heads-or-tails of the conversation within this distance, or at least be able to discern what language it was. She frowned at the thought that it could be in a different language than what she knew. Maybe she should have studied a different spell while she was back in her homeland, one which could comprehend languages.

Roll:
Perception check to listen in on the guards and/or Gaelen/Therion for additional information (ro-o-olling high, boys and girls!): 4 + 3 = 7

It’s only as the threat renders the building unusually still that the woman takes note of the looks of those around her. Some maintain their composure better than others, but even the rogue, who looks at first glance to be the hardest of the lot, shifts away in response. The Tabaxi appears especially perturbed by her words, slit-like pupils contracting whilst the tawny fur stiffening just so. Despite everything, the mouth curls as Orryna smirks at the pair, pleased that they’ve reached an unspoken understanding.

The silence is broken by the cleric, clearly trying to de-escalate the situation and have the trio get on their way. After holding her gaze on the ruffians a moment longer, the half-elf turns to assess the tanned, slightly diminutive human who speaks. He looked to be scarcely more than a boy, young enough that a hopeful glint still flickered in his eyes. She doesn’t know quite what to make of it, nor is given much time to dwell on it as the lot depart for their rendezvous, merely raising a brow upon catching Swat’s description. Dark haired and scary? Not quite what I’d had in mind, but I’ll take it, if that keeps us out of a cell and clear of daggers, the paladin muses.

Scanning the building before concluding they were still woefully exposed to any persistent threats, Orryna settles against the wall closest to Andryn, expression turning foul as she takes in the tiefling’s comments. Well, of course she’d have to be thorough, if not explicit, in her warning! These days, people make all sorts of spineless threats, so much so that any potential impact was immediately lost. If you’re going to do something, best to do it proper the first time around, none of that wishy washy nonsense. “Forgive me for saying this, Andryn, but you can’t coddle folks like ‘em. Takes one moment of weakness, then ey’ll gut you when it-.” the half-elf begins to retort, but shuts her mouth as she catches how the orc and tiefling look at her. I sound like 'im, talkin’ like that, she notes sourly with a sigh. “… I, appreciate your candour… in future, I’ll try to ease it up a bit.”

Trying to shove back her annoyance and focus on the questions presented, the paladin purses her lips. “Dunno. Just sounded like some bloke tossed a molotov- someone who owed a huge tab? Or who had a grudge against the owners… Maybe we’d have a clue if we could case the crime scene, but that’s not likely to happen.” the dark-haired figure admitted, thinking it over a moment longer. Such blatant arsons were not a common thing in this area, was it? “There are other things which elude me: whether this individual was acting alone or for someone else. Why they razed the place at all. Do you two have any ideas? Has this happened before?”

History (Checking if they've heard of any similar crimes/ attacks in the area): 6-1=5

Last edited:
Andryn had anticipated a retort from Orryna, yet the half-elf's words still surprised her. Reminded her, even, of how Alderich used to scold her--the old dwarf had a knack for using rough words himself. Whether it was from being a bartender or from being a dwarf, Andryn would never know. Orryna's expression didn't help matters. How could two wholly different people closely resemble each other through one small detail? Nevertheless, she understood what Orryna was trying to say. Andryn had encountered a diverse number of people--strangers, essentially--in her time as a bartender. It was easy to think that each of them could whip out a dagger and kill her within the second.

However, Andryn found it easier to smile and talk to these strangers, rather than expressing her distrust for them up front.

Sighing, she gives Orryna an apologetic look. "Conversely, I apologize for my candor." she says, pocketing the two notes Gaelen gave her and sitting on the floor by the fireplace. "It was made in jest--or rather it was spoken before thinking. I don't blame you for saying your threats the way you do. You're certainly not the only one." she tries for a smile, wondering why she didn't get the resemblance before. Then, clearing her throat, she continues, "And this firestarter of ours, well, they did see one moment of weakness and took that as an opportunity to gut the tavern, so to speak..."

She ponders over the half-elf's words, trying to remember if someone ever had beef with Berley. For all she knew, it could've been anyone. Maybe even someone from before she began working as a bartender. As for whether it was an individual or a group..."I do recall...two particular sets of suspects. My boss is an odd fellow--barely talks to anyone, really, but there's this couple...well I wouldn't really say they're a couple, more like a pair." she stops, realizing she was beginning to ramble, then sets her mind back on the track. "Anyway, it's this tall woman and short, stout man--kinda like a walking number 10 if you ask me. Occasionally they'd enter his room and talk real quiet, for hours on end. At least, according to his wife."

She ponders for a moment more before continuing. "There's also this young halfling that likes visiting the tavern and asking around for Berley, my boss. He's kind of annoying, really obnoxious. But it's a start. What do you think?"

(I'll roll History before I edit the post to add Andryn's response)

Rolls:
History (to see if she remembers anything or anyone that could've been the firestarter, or at least had beef with Berley): 19 + 2 = 21

RushingRiver RushingRiver clarinetti clarinetti

Last edited:
Thankful they had been able to move through the streets without much issue, Gaelen slowed his pace as they got nearer to their destination. They were almost there, but the sound of voices had caught his attention, causing the rogue to pause. He knew he and Therion were supposed to be coming here openly to meet with the guard, but that didn’t mean he was willing to walk the two of them straight into an ambush.

Motioning for Therion to follow suit, Gaelen moved forward and pressed himself against the walls of the building, before peering carefully around the corner into Coaterie Drive. The first thing he noticed were the numbers in the buildings across the way, proving they were mostly in the right place. The address in question should be in one of the buildings straight to his right. Unfortunately that was in the direction of the hushed voices that proved themselves to be a more pressing matter at the moment.

Focusing down the street, Gaelen tried to catch a glimpse of who the voices might belong to, perhaps catch a snippet of conversation. Thought it proved to be a difficult task.

Rolls:
Perception to gather info on the voices down the street
8 + 4 = 12

Last edited:
RushingRiver RushingRiver Thanny Thanny Experienced Optimist Experienced Optimist

As Therion and Gaelen grew closer to their destination, they didn’t encounter anything that troubled them. The only thing that they heard were some faint voices. That however was enough, as Therion noticed, for Gaelen to become warie. He didn’t blame Gaelen and noticed what he wanted Therion to do. He followed Gaelen’s lead, without a word, as he pressed against the wall. He let Gaelen do the peering as he knew that he would just stand out like a sore thumb. Instead he tried to listen in on the conversation to see if he knew who was talking and what they were talking about.

Roll
Perception to see if Therion recognises who is talking

2 + 3 = 5
Perception to see if Therion can hear what's being talked about
11 + 3 = 14

Orryna remembers an article in a newspaper about a house that burned down about a block away... Cause? Someone was lighting a candle and was startled by a spider. Andryn doesn't recall anyone that disliked Berley. He was generally friendly, a bit odd, and he also rarely talked to anybody. He usually hid in his locked room at the bar all night, went home to his wife in the morning. She occasionally saw some people -a tall woman and a shorter, rounder man- enter his room. She never overheard any of their conversations, but she found that they spoke quietly, sometimes even for hours. There was also a particular guest at the bar, a young halfling, always asking where ol' Berley was. Would make fun of him a whole lot, even throw drinks at him.

Gaelen and Therion (and Swats, from atop the roof?) creep closer, listening in on the voices around the corner. They recognize the voice of the guard they're scheduled to meet, and a softer female voice. A woman stood beside him, holding his hand desperately trying to convince him of something. "Arlow you can't do this to me. I simply can't have it this way. Not knowing if you'll ever come back to me..." she says sorrowfully. The guard pulls her into a hug and whispers something in her ear. She backs away shaking her head sadly. "Please... I can't lose you too..." she walks away, heading straight towards Gaelen and Therion's direction.

RushingRiver RushingRiver Thanny Thanny Experienced Optimist Experienced Optimist

As Therion listened, he changed his position from pressing against the wall to leaning against it. Hearing what this woman said made him remember something, something that he knew would not be able to heal, the feeling of loss. The loss of a family member or even of a loved one It did not matter. He knew that he could empathise and console if the need arises but he hoped that time wouldn’t come. Those injuries wouldn’t heal properly without the proper support and even may never heal at all.

The time Therion had finished thinking, he caught himself starting to tear up. He wiped away the tears and whispered to Gaelen, “I’ll leave the talking to you. If I start, I might not restrain myself in time from berating him for whatever action he wishes to do that is making her worry that much.” Nothing was more important to Therion that family and he hated the very idea of family members being separated for no good reason or dying from easily preventable causes.

Gaelen's brow furrowed at the bit of conversation he caught. This was all escalating more than the elf would have expected. At first he'd thought they were just dealing with some petty rivalry, or someone seeking to hurt the tavern owner for whatever personal vendetta. People had done worse for less. But now there were goblins involved, guards sneaking about, and obvious fear in this woman's voice. What exactly where they getting themselves into?

He didn't have much chance to worry about the answer to that question just yet, his thoughts interrupted by Therion at his side. It was the most intense he'd seen the young cleric in the, admittedly short, time he'd known him, and he could tell at a glance it bothered him far beyond the personal issues this couple might be having. Perhaps there was more to the Therion's desire to help than just his good nature. "I'm sure theres a good explanation for all of this" He attempted to reassure the other, though a positive attitude wasn't exactly Gaelen's strong suit. "And if there isn't, you have my full permission to berate them until you've screamed some good sense into them, alright?"

With a pat on the shoulder, Gaelen turned back down the road to see the woman heading their way. He had to decide fast; He could just let her pass, it was clear she wasn't meant to be part of this furtive meeting and probably would be safer staying out of it. But then again, two people generally had more information than one, and if this was meant to be a trap, the guard would likely think twice of doing something stupid with a loved one in the fray.

With a deep breath and a smooth movement, Gaelen stepped out into the street, empty hands held up in a sign of peace as he walked towards the couple "And where exactly are people not going to be coming back from?" he asked "More importantly, why are people not coming back? I reckon theres more to this than someone trying to literally burn away their bar tab"

The woman stopped midstep and her expression changed slightly. Mixed emotions clouded her eyes, less depressed than before, but instead partially angry and a little bit intrigued. "Who are you and what business do you have outside my home at 10 o'clock at night?" She glared fiercely at the elf, though quickly wiped a single tear from her cheek. Behind her, the guard's eyes widened as he saw Gaelen emerge from the shadows. He casually slid his hands into his pockets, despite his obvious anxiety. He swallowed nervously and waited for Gaelen's response.

Therion heard what Gaelen said and was grateful. He took a deep breath and then heard Gaelen speak to the Lade. He listened to the Ladie’s question and composed himself before stepping out making the same peace gesture that Gaelen made. “I assure you Ma’am that we mean no harm to you.” Therion said, in a calm voice, as he made the same gesture of peace as he stepped out and stood next to Gaelen. “We are here because we have been invited here by the guard over there.” Making a gesture with one hand towards the guard. “I assure you, if we find what he suggests too dangerous for him then he will not be accompanying us. If we accept it that is.” He added as he returned his hands to the gesture of peace.

Roll
Persuasion to state their case

16 + 3 = 19

Her glare didn't falter as Therion stepped into the light of the streetlamps, "I see... You don't know him all that well if you haven't learned his name. And the referral to his job means you are probably here for something related to it. Which I would assume is the burning of Bok's Bar, as the elf mentioned fire." she remarked coldly. "So before I leave I have a few questions for you. What do you know about the fire? Why do you figure 'the guard over there' has something to offer you? And since you failed to reveal your identity the first time, I ask again. Who are you?" She pursed her lips together, as if trying to suppress a small smile, pleased with her attempt to sound intimidating. Or maybe that handsome cleric was making her jaw drop lmaoooo

Swats peeked over the edge of the roof, catching more of the conversation than before, but not quite able to see the two. She wondered what exactly was going on, and concluded that she and the others entered some sort of lover's spat, and not the typical squabble that enters between two that are romantically involved in human societies. Swats wondered if, should all the rest of the races have been Tabaxi like herself, if there would be a lot less divorces. Then again, there would be a lot less marriages, so the argument might have rounded itself out in the end. Fascinating.

Wait, she espied someone, a woman, potentially a human or an elf leaving the house near where the voices were coming from. Was she one of them? And oh no, Therion and Gaelen were visible, from what she was saying, but they seemed to have turned the tide to their favour! Wait, no, that was intimidation in her voice? Gah, so confusing, much more so than interesting. Still, she kept an eye out for new people able to be observed, just in case. From the looks of things, there was nothing wrong . . . yet. They had to be ready for anything, and so she kept her attention rapt to the periphery of what was happening, just in case.

Perception to look out for newcomers rather than concentrate on what was going on with the party: 18 + 3 = 21

Therion realised that he was being very rude by not introducing himself and bowed in apology, “I beg your pardon for my rude behaviour a moment ago. My name is Therion, Cleric of Diancecht.” He said in his gentle voice as he raised himself and gestured towards Gaelen, “My friend here is named Gaelen.” He then looked at the Young Lady and continued, “Now I do believe I can answer your other two questions. What we know about the fire is very little with the exception that we were there when it happened. And why we figure 'the guard over there' has something to offer us is that we don’t know, with the exception of information that will help shed light on the situation for us.”

Swats didn't see anything that concerned him... Or wait! Was that a squirrel scampering up that tree? She admired it's fluffy black tail. Anyhow, that was not quite what she was looking for.

Back on the ground, the lady acknowledged Therion's noble apology with a nod. "Very well" she said thoughtfully. "It seems as though I should be sorry as well for my inhospitable attitude." she fell into a low curtsy, replicating Therion's decency. As she regained her posture, she subtly leaned in closer and whispered softly to the pair, "I won't keep you from whatever you're doing, but please, if I may have one wish, don't let him do anything stupid" and with one last forlorn glance at the guard, she set off down the street. The guard sighed heavily as she departed out of earshot. "I'm sorry you witnessed that. She's..." He shook his head and ushered them inside. With a quick peek outside, he asked curiously, "Is this everybody? I figured they'd all come."

Gaelen opened his mouth to reply to the woman, ready to sidestep her questions altogether and press on for answers. Nothing against her really, he simply knew the value of not sharing any information you didn't absolutely have to, especially before he'd gotten some information out of either of these two first. After all, it was far easier to manipulate a game in your favor if you were holding all the cards. He didn't quite get the chance to say anything at all before Therion spoke up instead. Offering their names and promises Gaelen wasn't entirely sure they could keep. He might have been annoyed at the cleric's openness, if it didn't become immediately clear that the woman was swayed by his earnest words. So he let Therion speak, giving a light nod in agreement as he explained their situation.

Sure enough, the woman seemed to soften up. Not only letting them pass, but also asking a last request of them before she continued on her way. Gaelen wasn't sure if it was Therion's influence or a slight feeling of guilt at the back of his mind, but the elf couldn't help but nod again. "We'll see what we can do" He offered the woman, before returning his attention to the guard that had initially summoned them.

As she left, he followed the man as they were ushered indoors, trusting Swats to be keeping a steady, and one hundred percent focused, eye out for any trouble. "No, not everybody" Gaelen answered once they were safely inside "The others will be waiting to hear back from us. Figured it wasn't worth it to risk all our hides if it turned out this didn't end up being just a friendly chat" Not that he could actually promise the others would help. "So why exactly are we here?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back