Viewpoint Risk of dying vs "plotline immortality"

I mean, people are flawed. They’re not going to always act rationally and that can cost them their life sometimes prematurely.

It happens to people and animals from all walks of life and shouldn’t be delegated to only side-characters imo. Yeah your guy can be brave and that’s in their character but at a certain point common sense has to tap their shoulder and go “You will die, if you walk up to that beast and try to fight it.”

Very few people are so brave that when the instinctive urge to survive kicks in they just ignore it. When push comes to shove flight generally wins out over fight.

I mean, people are flawed. They’re not going to always act rationally and that can cost them their life sometimes prematurely.

It happens to people from all walks of life and shouldn’t be delegated to only side-characters imo. Yeah your guy can be brave and that’s in their character but at a certain point common sense has to tap their shoulder and go “You will die, if you walk up to that beast and try to fight it.”

Very few people are so brave that when the instinctive urge to survive kicks in they just ignore it. When push comes to shove flight generally wins out over fight.
Yessss! Also, my personal philosophy is that real bravery isn't fearlessness or rushing headlong into bravery, it's being terrified and doing the right thing/the difficult thing/the scary thing anyway, and that's a philosophy that tends to bleed into my characters pretty frequently.

Yessss! Also, my personal philosophy is that real bravery isn't fearlessness or rushing headlong into bravery, it's being terrified and doing the right thing/the difficult thing/the scary thing anyway, and that's a philosophy that tends to bleed into my characters pretty frequently.
Same, there’s a fine line between being brave, being stupid or being suicidally mad. Bravery has rationality in it, especially when it comes to fighting.

A brave person fights an enemy and lets their allies run because they’re either confident enough that they can win even if barely or they know they’re going to die and hope their sacrifice saves their allies.

A stupid person just attacks something and calls it “bravery” when in reality they’re oblivious to just how fucked they are. Those types usually die unless saved by some third party or sheerness of luck.

Being suicidally mad is self explanatory. You know you’re going to die unaided and without luck but you do it anyway. Sometimes if you put up a good enough fight however you don’t die and your enemy just flees because they start doubting if they’ll win once they see your persistence and rage. If they’re set on killing you though, you’re just fucked.

A Leopard can fight off a lion at times, but only because the Lion doesn’t want to put in the work. A Leopard would always choose fight as a last resort though and would flee (even during the fight itself) the moment it sees an opportunity.

Bravery doesn’t mean fight to the death. If anything, you’re fighting to survive just like your allies but the difference is you’re at a higher risk of dying (and you probably will die) if you choose to fight to the end over fighting long enough to get back up or run away.

Stuff like the above is why I make it clear which characters I have are brave and which are just irrational psychos.

I would choose a roleplay where characters can die solely up to my discretion and not anyone else though. The not suffering somehow surviving to be fully recovered is not something I like, example, characters fighting in a war but no one dies or is injured for that matter. Yeah, nope.

I suppose it also depends on the roleplay too. I aim for roleplays where the actions of characters lead to consequences and I have killed off my own characters whether a main or side character.

This might just be me: I prefer plotline immortality, but actions have consequences, and stupid actions have massive consequences. I prefer immortality with a grain of salt - sure, you survived, but how likely is it that you'll really, fully recover from it? It's almost two birds with one stone: basic rules are followed, AND stupid horror movie decisions are avoided. Your character won't die, but you can suffer debilitating injuries that harm your chances of success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back