• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Righteous Fiends

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
I'm seeking five players to take on the roles of warrior-priests to an enigmatic cult, serving their god and working to protect their people from destruction by their enemies.
The system is easy enough to learn, a dice-pool system that's easy to use but has mechanical depth if you want to engage with it.
No prior experience with this game or dice games required. All skill levels welcome.
One post a week is ideal, once a month is acceptable.
No set post length - just post what you feel is necessary to move things along.

===============================
For over ten generations, you have fought for your freedom.

Confined to the tip of a barren peninsula, under constant siege, you have struggled to survive and grow. Your enemy view you as monsters, your neighbours as devils from their vision of hell. Your children must be raised as warriors, your lives spent in conflict.

All this for your faith. The essence of your struggle, the strength in your hearts, the thing which makes you righteous. All this for the blessing upon you, and the responsibility which accompanies it; to protect the mortals beneath you and spread the word of Vasnok.

You are of the Twilight Caste, the Savaan; those closest to God. Her power flows in your veins and you are honoured to hear the words of Her devas. You are warrior-priests and guardians of a solemn lineage, earned in trial and light.

In ancient times, She birthed you. In times of chaos and persecution, She guarded you with wings of night. In these troubled, embattled days, She prepares to take the mantle of Destroyer, and wipe this wicked world clean. Vasnok: The Living God, who struck down the architects of the world for their cruel tyranny and jealous anger, and in turn was cursed to live on the blood of her children.

Now you have been chosen, Her stalwart paladins and sanguine scholars, to undertake a special task in Her name that might change the destiny of your people and end the deicidal ambitions of your enemies.

Vasnok needs you; slip into your Living Armour, take up your khopesh, and bring the freedom of endless night to this ungrateful world.

==============
In terms of roles to fill, I'm looking for three players to be ordinary Savaan, one player to be the group's Surgeon, and one to be a Shade of the Divine - a kind of holy assassin/spy type.
Learn cool martial arts! Wear biotech power armour! Fight monsters worse than the vampires you worship!

GENESIS

Long ago when the world was young, the gods filled it with life in abundance, and looked upon it from outside, and were pleased.
The mortals looked back across the void, and longed to know the gods, and built a moonlight bridge they could cross to enter the world.
Thus the gods walked among mortals, primal and serene.

But the mind of a god is alien, immortal and impossible. Cruel in their sport, destructive in their excess. Tyrannical in ambition, and selfish in thought.
The mortals began to regret what they had done, but how can one bring war against a god?

In this time of wonder and terror, the gods made Vasnok, Who Births Wonders. A Living God, Divinity in Flesh, loving and fecund. She and Her progeny loved and were loved by mortalkind, and spread throughout the world. The gods, unchanging and infertile, grew jealous but could not strike Her down.
And so they cursed Her and Her children. Where once they brought life, now they could multiply only through death. Where once they were immortal, now they needed the blood of mortals to live. Even the sun was made to hate them, and burn them in its light.

The gods, disgusted with the world they had made, returned across the moonlight bridge and destroyed it behind them. Many mortals now feared Vasnok, and so She, Her children, and Her faithful fled to the dark corners of the world.

EXODUS

To preserve Her flock, Vasnok slept and transformed. In this time, the adherents of the gods hunted Her people to the brink of annihilation, hoping to win back the gods' favour, for they had forgotten the gods had not loved them as Vasnok did.
She awoke as That Which Hunts The Unrighteous On Umbral Wings, and protected Their flock in secret. They hunted the wicked in their beds and traveled between hidden shrines to join Their people together. In time, They found a homeland far from the other kingdoms and lead Their faithful there. For time, all was well.

TRIBULATION

Now Vasnok sleeps again. Their children and priesthood defend the faithful, and defend Their sleeping form, even as fanatics from a neighbouring land seek their destruction and foreigners call them blasphemers, monsters.
Vasnok will rise again when the time is right, and He will be called Destroyer, That Which Scours Clean The World-Canvas.

The Night Caste, The Children of God
Holiest of holies, the living children of Vasnok. Saints of the Sacred Blood, who are of the night and masters of flesh. Unseen by all, voices heard only by the Savaan. They tend to Vasnok's sleeping form and guide our people through the struggle.

The Twilight Caste, the Savaan.
Mortal families blessed by the Sacred Blood.
Priests and warriors, scholars and doctors.

Most Savaan are raised in comfort, but taught always of their duty to the rest of the flock. They are taught history and scripture, fine arts and complex crafts, and the secrets of the flesh. As they come of age, they learn the tools of war and power of fear. When they are adults, the Children present them with a gift, a birthright - their Armour. A living suit of peerless and beautiful form that bonds with the wearer. These Savaan are the Twilight Guard.

Some, however, are born with a fragment of Vasnok's sacred power. They can know a body merely by laying their hands upon it. They can sculpt flesh with a touch and with focus. Thus they are taught the holy mysteries and deepest truths of the flesh, charged with the care of their kinfolk and upkeep of their panoplies. These are the Twilight Surgeons.

The Day Caste, the Ker Viteur
The ordinary faithful. Mortals like any others in the world, but who know the truth of the scriptures.
Builders, craftspeople, and labourers, the Ker Viteur live and work in comfort protected by the Savaan. They work the farms and clean the temples, build homes and entertain the Savaan who are wearied by their duty. They are forbidden to take up arms and spared unnecessary, onerous teachings such as literacy. They serve, and are served, kept safe in Her embrace from the evils of the fallen world.

The Chattel
Do not be fooled by their human appearance. These creatures are no more than beasts, sustenance for the Children and grist for the war machine. The Savaan are few in number, and so they use the screaming hordes of the Chattel as shock troops to overwhelm the enemy. They harvest their flesh to build weapons and warbeasts. One day there will be no more need for the Chattel, but for now they are a necessary grotesquerie.

I am entertained by this concept, what will be the general aesthetic feel? It appears quite middle-eastern, which quite frankly isn't my utmost favourite aesthetic. Will individuals born of the false faith, reborn of the proper one, or so to speak, be viable ideas?

When it comes to character concepts beyond that, surgeon, shard, or otherwise, I can do either. All seem interesting enough.

My experience with dice-systems on the internet isn't expansive, might need some aid.

Aesthetically I picture them as a weird fusion, a kind of Egyptian-Baroque. I am quite curious how it read as Middle Eastern!

A doubting apostate returned to the fold would be viable, but the player characters in this are the product of long-term magical genetic manipulation, so just a convert wouldn't quite be enough. Perhaps the child of an apostate and a heathen...

That said, the direct enemies of the Cult are militant anti-theists. So heathens from other neighbouring nations would be those of false faiths.

Aesthetically I picture them as a weird fusion, a kind of Egyptian-Baroque. I am quite curious how it read as Middle Eastern!

A doubting apostate returned to the fold would be viable, but the player characters in this are the product of long-term magical genetic manipulation, so just a convert wouldn't quite be enough. Perhaps the child of an apostate and a heathen...

That said, the direct enemies of the Cult are militant anti-theists. So heathens from other neighbouring nations would be those of false faiths.

I see. I misremembered a khopesh as a scimitar.

Then it still works out, my interest remains.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back