• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Japan - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Sherwood Sherwood
No problem. I've had plenty of new players to the system before.

A few things to go over. First, this is a good aligned game, so no evil characters. Second, there are two different kinds of characters that are being allowed, one side is from the magic-heavy Empire of Japan, and the second group is more tech oriented from the Republic of Japan. The two groups are being pulled together to make a demon hunting team to aid the two nations in forming an alliance. If you are going to join, you will need to be from one of these two groups.
I just wanted to tell you - I thought this was an awesome description and summary of your game, Bud! =)

Welcome Steve Freeling Steve Freeling !

I notice you're a fan of Chik-Fil-A (O.K., more than a fan!). I really like Chik-Fil-A! Talk about great service and excellent food!

I'm glad you're here! I play Snowfall the Kitsune in our game here. Sherwood and I are old buddies who have played Palladium games for no short amount of time. Everyone in our game here is a buddy of mine and I genuinely enjoy coming to RP Nation to play our games together!
(Copying a little from the welcome I gave Kikimura last night.)
Rifts Japan takes place in a magic-ridden post-apocalyptic Earth where Japan has two factions - one is a magical, spiritual people who live under the traditions and laws of Nippon's feudal days (all pre-Meiji Restoration era) serving the Emperor and Shogun. They are called the New Empire. The other is called the Republic of Japan. The republic is made up of the city of Hiroshima and its people who were catapulted through time before the apocalypse (The Coming of the Rifts, Rifts being the game name). They are a tech-oriented people with cyborgs, mecha, and many average citizens who own and use cybernetics.

We are playing inside the city of Hiroshima. Steve, I don't think there is anyone on all of RP Nation who is as enthusiastic about teaching Rifts games as ol' Sherwood. In Rifts, the entire world has been struck by a cosmic cataclysm that has changed Earth forever into a realm of sci-fi and magical wonders. Psionic abilities? Check! Monsters who would prey on humankind that must be stopped? Check. Wacky band of Players who enjoy each others' company while sharing the fun any way we can? Triple-check! =)

I believe this is Sherwood's first Japan-based Rifts game here on RP Nation. I have run Rifts Japan many times and have had an interest in martial arts and Asian folklore for some time. As such, sometimes Sherwood (or other Players) ask me to pitch in information or advice here and there and I'm happy to do it. Hope you have a good time with us, friend!

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Just so Steve Freeling Steve Freeling and Kikimura Kikimura know, I had to pick up a few extra hours at work so I'm a little behind on work on your characters. I should have some time to make progress in the afternoon tomorrow though. Haven't forgotten about you guys.

Steve Freeling Steve Freeling and Kikimura Kikimura almost done with your characters. Just need to finish up a last few details. Have you guys read what has been posted in the IC thread? I have a few things to go over with the two of you guys, and I was just checking.

Steve Freeling Steve Freeling and Kikimura Kikimura almost done with your characters. Just need to finish up a last few details. Have you guys read what has been posted in the IC thread? I have a few things to go over with the two of you guys, and I was just checking.
I haven't had much of a chance yet, but I'll give a once-over when I get off from work at 5PM.

A few quick definitions for our new players.

There is two different kinds of damage/armor in this game. First is normal hit point/SDC level of stuff. SDC stands for Structural Damage Capacity, and it comprises most of the normal stuff around us; tables, chairs, drywall, cars and trucks, things like that. People are in this category of damage, too. Low level firearms like a typical sub-machine gun or a baseball bat do SDC damage.

Next we have MDC, or Mega Damage Capacity. MDC is a whole different animal, with one MDC equal to one hundred SDC. Generally, if a item/person/thing that is SDC in nature gets hit by even a low MDC attack, it is a smoking wreck with a huge percentage of its points wiped out in a single hit. In comparison, the typical SDC weapon does nothing to an MDC being or structure, even if the damage done by a machine gun spray is in the hundreds of SDC points of damage.

MDC beings and armor are everywhere in Rifts. Psychie and Dannigan are both playing MDC beings, where SDC weapons will not affect them at all. D. Rex's and GunMan2's cyborgs are also MDC, so they can literally walk through a hail of gunfire that is SDC and not be harmed at all.

Now, lets discuss how combat works in this system.

Everyone has a set number of attacks, ranging anywhere from 2 or 3 actions to upwards of 7 or 8, with some monsters having even more than that. Everyone gets to use one action at a time, with some special actions using up more than one attack/action per use, such as a Called Shot at a specific location or a Power Punch/Haymaker, both of which use two actions per attack. We start with a d20 roll for Initiative, adding in any bonuses that your sheet may have on it. This gives us this:

22 - Bob
18 - Charlie
15 - Don
10 - Will
6 - Alex

As combat progresses, I mark down who's up and what action they are on like this:

22 - Bob [2]
18 - Charlie <====
15 - Don
10 - Will
6 - Alex

In tis example, Bob used up two actions on his first attack, and now it's Charlie's turn. I record everyone's number of actions on the list, but it is up to you to help keep track of the number of actions you have left.

What can use up an attack action, you ask? Making a standard attack, of course, even if it involves firing a burst from a rail gun or a salvo of multiple missiles at once. Also, dodging will usually use up an action, making it very easy to burn through your bank of available attacks by both shooting and dodging at the same time.

How does combat work? You roll a d20 to hit. If it is a natural 1-4, that attack automatically misses for some reason, even if you have bonuses to hit, be it you were off target, you forgot to take the safety off, or some other reason that I can make up. The roll of a natural 1 is a fumble, and something bad happens. Maybe a weapon jammed and it will take another action to clear it, or you dropped your sword. A 5-19 is a normal hit, with a natural 20 being a Critical Strike. Crits in this game do double damage for most weapons, and there are some combat training that gives an expanded Critical Strike range, such as a 18-20. If you have a bonus to strike, that is added to your d20 roll to see if you hit, but only the natural 20 (or 18-20) is the critical strike.

At this point, you will be hit unless you do something about it. You can try to Parry the attack, taking the hit on your own sword or shield and possibly negate the damage. Obviously you cannot parry a bullet with a sword, but if you have a shield of some sort, you can try to have the damage go there instead of on your main body's armor. In order to do a Parry, the defender rolls a d20, adding in their own Parry bonuses to see if their roll beats the attacker's to-hit roll. If successful, the Parry wins and depending on the situation, you may take your damage on the shield or, in the case of a hand to hand attack, you may take no damage at all.

Your second option is to Dodge. This works like the Parry, where you roll a d20 plus your bonuses to try and evade the attack. The rub here is that a Dodge uses up one of your attack actions. There are a few martial art styles that give a Automatic Dodge that doesn't use an action, but they are rare.

I'll have more in a little bit, but right now I need to pack up my computer and get to work. I'll post as things are slow, adding to this quick lesson as I can.

Kikimura Kikimura They are tall, very healthy, and have arcane features. Here is one! =)

Atlantean by Chuck Walton.jpg
(Image credit: The fantastic and professional Mr. Chuck Walton)

It's almost like a cross between Gundam Unicorn and ED-209 in the best way possible.
I had to look up Gundam Unicorn, but ED-209? Iconic like RoboCop! Who could forget that whacked-out series of metal monstrosities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back