• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
From the description from Shaona, the suits of powered armor with the snake tails are most likely the Kittani Serpent Powered Armor. It is pretty tough, quick, and fairly well armed. Also, the four humanoid suits of armor are probably Kittani Manling Powered Armor. The Kittani are very loyal troops to the Splurgoth, and you will have a hard time in being able to peacefully negotiate with them.

Good to know! Is our team a match for such a force or should we withdraw?

The Manling Powered Armor is not as big of a threat as the Serpent ones. As it stands now, you are facing a tough fight and will be outnumbered.

But, consider the woman at sword-point. She may be one of the four you are looking for, and if so, she could be a good ally in a battle, not to mention that the others are probably nearby.

from the mention of her clothes being made from plants the first thought that came into my head was millennial tree armor, most likely leaf armor but possibly bark. is shoana close enough to hear what they are saying?

I'm pretty sure that I'm not close enough (yet) - and I think I'd prefer to wait until we actually have some kind of plan what to do.

Just out of curiosity - would be possible to aim a blinding flash in such a way that it hits the four soldiers, but not the woman? Think it only has an area in its description, so probably not, right?

Again, Silanon, I find myself on your wavelength. It's pretty tough to start a fight when Action #1 of the bad guy is slit their captive's throat... I think a plan is in order too. Let's take them not on their terms or even neutral terms, but our own, if possible.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not close enough (yet) - and I think I'd prefer to wait until we actually have some kind of plan what to do.

Just out of curiosity - would be possible to aim a blinding flash in such a way that it hits the four soldiers, but not the woman? Think it only has an area in its description, so probably not, right?
Sorry it has taken me a while to reply. To answer the question, the armored suits are most likely going to be immune to the effect of the Blinding Flash spell, with the shielded helmets that they have. It is a fairly standard feature of most powered armor.

That's certainly helpful information - would've been a shame to waste an action like that. Thanks!

My apologies for a short and sweet post, but I put in all the brain I had tonight! =)

Taking a five hour energy to stay awake in school after a late night of studying when i have ADHD doesn't seem to have been a good idea.

and i have a question about that blinding flash spell.

you say it wouldn't affect the people inside the power armor because of their optics. am i to assume then that the spell is cast in one location and then radiates from that spot? sorry I'm not very good with magic (its one of the reasons that i prefer to use machines in rifts)

and i also have a few other questions that i have been thinking about recently

i know that most characters don't have MDC (or SDC) by location, this has gotten me thinking recently. if you don't have your health distributed throughout your body that means that your entire body shares in a single health. so your pinky finger can take as much damage as you chest or arm. this confuses me and makes me wonder. do attacks that would normally be fatal in real life (aka shot through your eye into your brain, or slitting someone's throat, etc...) attacks that that may not have high damage naturally but would logically be worst.

for example (I'm going to use MDC for simplicity's sake) if i were to take a dagger (normally a low damage weapon) and stab someone in the arm they most likely won't die, but if i were to stab them in the heart with the same dagger, or slit their throat then it should have be a more fatal attack even if i don't roll a high damage. what would happen? would they live and just continue to fight? or would it kill them like logic says it should?

this is why i like cyborgs and machines. they have MDC by location.

Warning: Don't know anything for certain, this is just what I have in mind right now. Someone will probably correct me if I'm writing bullshit.

As far as I'm aware, people die in this system if you slit their throat open (unless there's a very good reason for it - vampires should survive it, I think?). However, whenever you make an attack and roll damage, you don't automatically hit the throat because you're aiming for it - the target moves to avoid your blade etc, which is represented by the dice roll. Low damage then means that you didn't hit precisely where you wanted - perhaps, you simply cut the skin a little since he dodged away in time. That's the logic behind it, I'd say, they live on to fight.

On the flip-side: If it's certain that you'd stab your dagger right through the heart of the target, maybe because he's unconscious or can't avoid it for some other reason, Sherwood would likely not ask for an attack roll - you only tend to roll things when the outcome is not clear from the beginning.

About the different zones:
so your pinky finger can take as much damage as you chest or arm
That's not how I would interpret things. The armor as a whole has its own strong and weak spots - the number assigned to it (like "35 mdc") gives a general idea how well it protects. With every hit, it's effectiveness is lowered. For example, a low damage roll might just be a dent that won't cause you much trouble, while a high roll might stand for a severe hit that will make it more likely to die later on (probably a bad example: take a modern kevlar vest. If it's hit by a bullet, it will most likely prevent any harm. However, the material gets damaged in the process of it - if you hit a kevlar vest twice on the same spot, the second projectile will almost certainly penetrate it).

Random thought: Critical hits are usually a system that accounts for hits that do more damage than they usually should. So if you land a critical hit and roll high enough damage to kill your target, then a possible interpretation is that you hit right through his eye. If your damageroll was not high enough, then you certainly hit him somewhere else.

Another random thought: Different mdc locations don't really do anything different, they just give different resiliences for different parts of the object/person. For example, it makes a gigantic difference which part of the head you hit (you mentioned the eye as a weak point, for example), but your stats only show one value for the head as a whole. That's just a way to simplify things - noone wants to have a 50.000 words long list just so that he knows how much damage the "upper right eyebrow" can take in comparison to the "lower right eyebrow".

Silanon, I like the way you put that.

I have my own definition of Hit Points. In my early days of playing Dungeons and Dragons, even before Sherwood and I met, that Hit Points were considered a measure of how long a character could avoid death or destruction. Put basically, magic users were bookworms who could not fight their way out of a paper bag, and Fighters were trained on battefields in the arts of war and therefore could survive longer.

Hit points were not just the amount of punishment a body could take, but also a source of luck, you might say, showing just how much time a person had before their luck had run out.

Finally, some argued that Hit Points were a matter of willpower, citing real life stories of people living through encounters that should have killed them, but somehow they survived as if through sheer will (like the World War II fable of the loyal Gurkha soldier with a certainly-fatal chest wound. He was ordered not to die by his British officer. So great was his spirit and loyalty to his officer, that not only did the soldier survive, but he lived until a ripe old age).

Combat ability, toughness of body, fighting spirit, and pure dumb luck. That's my definition of Hit Points.

thank you silanon for your input, you to dann.

That's not how I would interpret things. The armor as a whole has its own strong and weak spots - the number assigned to it (like "35 mdc") gives a general idea how well it protects. With every hit, it's effectiveness is lowered. For example, a low damage roll might just be a dent that won't cause you much trouble, while a high roll might stand for a severe hit that will make it more likely to die later on (probably a bad example: take a modern kevlar vest. If it's hit by a bullet, it will most likely prevent any harm. However, the material gets damaged in the process of it - if you hit a kevlar vest twice on the same spot, the second projectile will almost certainly penetrate it).

i'm sorry if i confused you, but i wasn't meaning armor i was taking about hp. and my reason for saying that a pinky can take as much damage as a chest or arm is because when any of them are damaged they all draw from the same pool of hitpoints. for example if someone has a HP of 85 and i attack there hand with an axe dialling 10 damage there health would then be 75 and they would still have there hand and fingers, the exact same thing would happen if i attacked them in the chest as well. that may not have been the best example but my point is that it doesn't matter where i hit you if you have an overall hp instead of damage by location.

Critical hits are usually a system that accounts for hits that do more damage than they usually should. So if you land a critical hit and roll high enough damage to kill your target, then a possible interpretation is that you hit right through his eye. If your damage roll was not high enough, then you certainly hit him somewhere else.

i see what your getting at and i agree however i was thinking about a different kind of situation were you don't need to crit, you just need to hit where you aim.
for example lets say that i aim for someones eye with a sniper rifle and i roll a high enough strike to hit my target. the damage that the bullet may not be enough to completely deplete the targets Hp but a shot to the eye (and by extension the brain) is enough to kill the vast majority of creatures and people (exceptions do apply such as vampires or other creatures that have their own special rules)

Edit: as an adition to the statment directly above this one: you mentioned that the would determine if i hit them in the eye but the damage shouldnt have anyeffect on the location that i hit them, that is why we have to roll to see if we hit and why we take negatives when we make a called shot, your damage roll shouldnt effect if you hit them were you want if you rolled a good enough strike.

(edit continued) another thought that popped into my head is related to the Damage by location topic is an example that may help clear up what im talking about; look at it this way if i wanted to cut someones leg off by swinging an axe at it ( lets assume that there is no armor to stop it and that there is enough power behind the swing to go all the way through [in other words i rolled a high enough strike]) in order for me to succesfully take off their leg i would have to deplete their hp, however that would mean that they are dead, but people can survive haveing a limb cut off.

i am sure that there is something for all of this somewhere in rifts (after all it is rifts and they have pretty much everything) however i have been unable to find it although i will admit i haven't searched very hard or vary long.

Last edited:
DraconianWarrior DraconianWarrior Heya Draco! I think what you're getting into here is "GM approval." Here, have a short story!

If I recall correctly, I read that Kevin Seimbeida (creator of Rifts and head of Palladium Books) once described a conversation about Hit Points and S.D.C. concerning a player he had run into, I believe, at a convention. The player excitedly explained to Seimbeida that his character (one with high S.D.C.) had an intimidation tactic that had served him well in-game (and one, therefore, approved by his Game Master). And oh boy, wasn't this a cool thing to do in-game?

It went like this. During interrogations or attempts to intimidate other characters, the PC's character (a Juicer, I think?) would hold a .45 caliber handgun up against his head, pull the trigger, and survive the blast. Oooh! Isn't that cool? If that can't kill him, what chance have you got? Right, buddy?

The logic behind this? Well, the .45 caliber round did 4d6 S.D.C. damage. His character had over 50 S.D.C.. There was no way, even on a critical hit, that the gunshot would do over 50 S.D.C. damage! He'd survive every time! Brilliant, right?

WRONG sayeth Seimbeida! You put a .45 to your character's head and pull the trigger and your character dies right then and there! No saving throw, no nothing! Unless the character was Mega-damage in nature, a .45 bullet to the skull meant immediate death. I imagine Seimbeida had a few choice statements for the GM in charge of that game, too. (I forget where this is written, unfortunately. It's in one of Seimbeida's many works [I know that doesn't help, does it?], but if I come across it, I'll try to type the whole thing out here).

So, back to Sherwood's Atlantis Adventure here, if Blake, say, wants to take off the hand of an S.D.C. creature using an S.D.C. weapon capable of doing it (blade, large caliber firearm aimed at the wrist, etc.), the first thing you have to do is get GM approval. "Hey, Sherwood? Can my character do this?" At which point Sherwood says "yea" or "nay" and you go from there. If in combat, I imagine a Called Shot is in order, perhaps followed by a Saving Throw vs. Pain or the like. Logic and reason most certainly apply (in humor - you're going to need more than one of your .22 caliber bullets to blow off that hand, but only one of your .50 caliber rounds!).

That help, Draco?

Dear Dann

yes that was very helpful i thank you tremendously, that defiantly puts some sort of... (i want to say idea but i know thatch not the word. sorry) into my head.

as a matter of fact i thank all of you for all of the great insight, the main reason that i have been pursuing the topic is because i have made a character that is a great sniper that has a passive modifier of +22 to hit (which can be increased depending on which of his weapons he uses and if he has time to set up a good sniping position)

when i showed this to a friend of mine that i play with every Friday night and mentioned how i could kill a lot of characters with one shot straight to the brain (largly due to my main weapon also being a beast) (granted that i dont roll a nat 1 or 2 since those are automatic misses). after i mentioned that he said that i was wrong and that i have to completely deplete an targets Hp pr MDC before my shot to the brain could kill my target.

i'll attach a copy of my sniper if you guys want to take a look at him, Sherwood has already seen what he looked like before, he is still under construction so im sorry if im missing parts. (if anyone has a good weapon that they would recommend for a sniper i would appreciate it.)

Sniper

• Name: Code Name: Artemis (real name is highly secret)
    RCC: Cyborg human. full conversion
    OCC: Special Forces

LvL: 1
    EXP: 0

Credits: 12,000

Stats
    IQ: 20
    MA: 18
    ME: 21
    PS: 28
    PP: 25
    PE: ∞
    PB: 14
    PPE: none
    ISP: none
    Spd: 120

Stat bonuses:
    +13 to melee damage
    +3 to perception
    50% trust/intimidate
    +3 to save vs psionic attack
    +4 to save vs Insanity
    +5 to Strike, Parry and Dodge

OCC bonus's:
    + 2 on initiative,
    + 2 to roll with impact or fall,
    + 2 to pull punch.

HTH Bonuses:
    kick attack 1D8 damage,
    +2 to pull punch
    +2 to roll with punch, fall or impact.

Skill bonuses:
    +13 to strike (targeting, sniper, combat sniper, Sharpshooter)

Sherwood Sherwood (I have tagged Sherwood so many times, my phone knows it's him the moment I type "@S". Heh!) I would like my character to get in on that surprise round action. I'll post in game as soon as I can.

DraconianWarrior DraconianWarrior Heya Draco! Where can I find this Sniper OCC you're looking at? Would you give me a book and a page number?

its not an occ im actually useing the speccial forces occ from the mercenary book, i just built him to be the best sniper thjat i could (without scionics and magic)

edit: its on page 26

Good to know.

As for rifles, have you checked out the JA-12 from Juicer Uprising? If you don't mind using energy weapons (or heck, if you just want something to offset the ballistic arsenal you've got), you might like that one.

i am sorry to bring this old egg back but i couldnt help but notice
If you wish, you can now perform a surprise attack on one of the Kittani before we move into the normal melee round.
you said melee rounds.

you told me they werent called that. and becuase of that i am unable to do what me drone says and fir 6 bursts per round

Good to know.

As for rifles, have you checked out the JA-12 from Juicer Uprising? If you don't mind using energy weapons (or heck, if you just want something to offset the ballistic arsenal you've got), you might like that one.
thanks but if you actually take a look at my equipment tab youll notice i only have one balistic weapon (its my favorite so far)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back