• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Ramius lets out a bark of laughter. "I did it more to save my skin than anything else, but I'll let the bards sing it in a more noble way. Perhaps we will keep this ship, and give her a good name. Something along the lines of Freedom's Promise or something like that. If it were not for this ship, we would still be looking for a way home."

Terra smiles wide at that. "I like it. And yes, when I tell this tale over at the local bar, I will make sure to give you the most noble of motivations, my good Captain! I guarantee that your name will be spoken in high regard wherever I go."

While you speak with Ramius, Habbattar pulls out his chalk from a pouch and goes over to an open spot in the room and begins to sketch out a casting circle. Both Shaona and Terra would recognize this as not a pentagram of some kind of demon summoning, but more a Celtic circle used to focus the mind and keep wayward thoughts under control.

But as he is doing this, the usually quiet Mellar suddenly looks like she is going into a seizure! Ragnar leaps to her side and grabs her arms, trying to keep her from injuring herself. "Quickly! Help me restrain her! I have seen this before from Mellar. She is in the midst of a powerful vision. If we can keep her safe, the vision will pass and she will recover."

As you watch, her eyes snap open, but her eyes stare off into the distance, not focusing on anyone in the room. Mellar then begins to speak! "Beware! Beware! A Swarm is coming! One of great hatred and evil! A devourer of worlds that travels through space has planted its seed here! The Swarm must be stopped before it is too late for all life on this world! It is coming! And we are approaching the heart of the Swarm here on Earth! It must be stopped!"

Mellar suddenly goes limp, her eyes finally closing as her breath comes in deep, ragged gasps.

Gradicus tried to help Ragnar restrain Mellar immediately, but as he did, something in his mind roared as he processes the details of her great vision. Hatred and evil traveling through space to eradicate life on this world of Earth! If that was not the warning of supernatural evil, then what is?!

When Mellar begins to convulse, Terra leaps to her side and tries her best to restrain the thrashing woman and lowers her to the ground so she won't fall and hurt herself. Then, the seer begins to speak, and Terra can hardly believe her ears of what she is hearing. A Swarm? Some kind of devourer of worlds coming here? And we are approaching it? What can this be?

Once the shuddering woman stops seizing, she carefully lets go. "Someone, get some water for her. Ragnar, you said you've seen this before? Will Mellar remember what she's said, and what it means?"

The burly dwarf kneels down next to Mellar's shoulders and cradles her head. "Aye, lass. I've seen her in these trances before. Never have I seen it hit her so suddenly or be so powerful. This bodes ill for us." He gently brushes her hair out of her face as he looks down at her, his concern showing in his face. "Sometimes, she will remember what she has said, other times not." He then looks up at the two Atlantians, "I have heard her speak of the Swarm before. It haunts her nightmares, but it has always seemed to be a distant threat, never one to be able to harm us. This, though, sounds like it is an immanent threat to not just us, but the whole world. We will have to wait and see if Mellar will be able to remember her words and hopefully be able to put some detail to it."

Gradicus pulled out his water-filled canteen and readied one of his magical healing tattoos. Having a background in the lore of magic, the Tattooed Undead Slayer was sure there were times when a person's powers, having demanded something of their caster, required time and rest to recover. This had been the case for Mellar in the past, so why not now?

"Aye, wise dwarf. Might healing magic help her at all?" Gradicus examined Mellar to see if his power might help her recover from hers. He was ready to try, even if it turned out to be a waste of potential psychic energy, it would be worth the effort.

Terra slowly stands up, then says, "You know more of these visions than we do. What can we do to help her recover?"

Ragnar shrugs. "I don't know if magic healing will help. It certainly couldn't hurt! Might be able to allow her to recover faster."

Combat Attributes
Perception +2 (more when fighting Vampires)
Initiative +2 (+6 when using sword)
Strike +13 (+16 with one sword, +17 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, K-4 Laser Pulse Rifle, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Parry +11 (+12 with Tattoo-Magic shield) (+14 with swords)
Dodge +11
Roll +6 (Automatic Roll and Breakfall from Zanji)
Save vs. Magic +7
Horror Factor Saving Throws (+4 to save from Undead Slayer)
Horror Factor 13 (Awe. 12 from Atlantean, +1 from Heritage)
Attacks per Round: 6 (+1 additional attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 additional attack from Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures) + 6D6 M.D. (socketed Electricity crystal).
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures) + 6D6 M.D. (socketed Electricity crystal).
Crystal Stun Mace - 2D6 S.D.C. + Stun when energized (10 P.P.E. for 2 minutes of use). Save at 16 or higher (14 for Mega-damage beings).
TW Force Cannon - 1D6x10+10. Range: 2,000 feet.
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs three attacks.
K-4 Laser Pulse Rifle - 3D6+6 single shot, 1D6x10+6 three-round burst. Range: 3,000 feet. 30/30 rounds in E-Clip.
M-160 Ion Rifle - 1D6x10 M.D. Range: 2,000 feet. 15/30 shots remaining in E-clip.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.
NG-SE9 laser pistol - 3D4+3 M.D. Range: 1,000 feet.
Silver-plated gladius - 2d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.
SIlver-plated knife - 1d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.

Gradicus was no stranger to pain, and being such, he enjoyed the option of taking away another's. Solemnly, he touched the tattoo with the "rose and thorny stem dripping blood" upon his person. For the next 4 minutes, he could perform the healing touch 3 times per minute for a total of 12. If more were needed, he could Energize that tattoo and double its duration to 8 minutes.

Gradicus focused on Mellar's spirit, mind, and body as he cast the spell upon her, granting her every healing touch it provided. Each time, he watched her closely, canteen in his free hand ready to hydrate her if she woke and needed it. Inside himself, he was glad to be a True Atlantean - to do good simply for the sake of goodness.

For what it's worth, each touch counts as two actions and heals 1d6 hit points and 3d6 S.D.C. or 1D6+3 M.D..

full

Image credit: Atlantean by Chuck Walton)
STATUS Location: Leaving Atlantis in victory!
Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (306/306) Self-P.P.E. (262/262). Power Matrix (40/40 P.P.E. remaining). P.P.E. Battery (100/100 P.P.E.). Talisman 1-3 (---/100 M.D. 0/3 daily uses remaining). Blazing Comet (Mach 4 for 4 hours. --/80 M.D.). Smoochie (---/500 M.D. for 4 hours).

Last edited:
The healing energies flow into the stunned woman, and she takes a deep breath as her eyes open and actually see what's in the room. Ragnar asks, "Are ye alright? You gave us quite a scare, darlin'."

Mellar takes another deep breath and sits up. "My head hurts, but I feel that the worst is past. Or rather, the worst is still ahead of us. I don't know what is about to happen, but I know it will be bad. Very bad."

Terra looks concerned. What could this new threat be? It doesn't sound like the Coalition, but instead it is something else. A Swarm that has a foothold on our world? "I don't suppose you remember any more about this threat before us, besides the fact that it will be bad?"

Mellar shakes her head. "No, but Sir Dru has already touched by a part of this evil. I wish I knew what it was. I can say that it is not the Splurgoth. This is something from beyond their control, and even they fear it."

Terra raises an eyebrow. "Something that even the Splurgoth fear? That alone is a scary thought. Do you know where this 'seed' has been planted? Anything at all that you can tell us."

Relieved that Mellar was conscious and well again (or at least, well-enough to speak) and also delighted that his healing magic had played a part, Gradicus listened to all that was being said. After Mellar's statement, Gradicus could help but slowly turn toward Sir Dru with a look that seemed to slowly and cautiously ask, "What do you know that we do not?"

That smile the Atlantean asked for - it was there for a while; first as a response to the slayer's words and then in sight of the upcoming ritual. Unfolding magic, after all, is always a sight to behold. It does not take long, however, to let it vanish behind a worried expression, as Shaona does her best to join Gradicus' attempts to heal with a stream of her own healing magic. Not that it should make much of a difference, though the gesture perhaps counts for something - it's the message that's the problem, not the seer's temporary condition.

"A swarm is what you said. From outer space. And something the Splurgoth fear." Her mind prevails over habits as she does not spit out right where they stand, but instead swallows down what tastes like trouble. "Some might call that unlikely, but I'm just returning from Atlantis; shouldn't be the one talking about likelihoods." There it is once more; that smile. Almost hidden, and yet present. "If Sir Dru touched it, it might be close; perhaps, we'll stumble across it in due time, and then we'll hopefully be able to recognize it for what it truly is. If not, acting on it might be a lost cause."

A pause as others raise their questions; Terra's asks for a response. "Visions rarely give many details, if I'm not mistaken; magic far from precision work. Even a glimpse at the exact location might let us dig through half the continent without finding anything at all. Between the few of us, I doubt we know enough to make much of it; plus, we're likely not in a position to act either. If it's as big of a threat as she suggests" - her hand finds Mellar's shoulder as she speaks those words - "we'd need more than a shipment of villagers and a blurry dream." A dragon's knowledge, perhaps, though he's busy with war. And forces, strong enough to fight an unknown threat, just when the major powers are about to clash; or already did, you never know.

She pauses, then her eyes find the minotaur as well. "Any one place you passed that felt particularly swarmy? Some kind of nests, or tracks, or something? Anything that felt like it's not from here?" Another pause, she seeks Habbattar. "If not, this might be the right moment to finish that circle. Eight hours till we reach Wangler's Knob, and that swarm might have been on our Sir's heels when he got there. If there are answers out there, we need them beforehand; just in case we're lucky enough to find the swarm without even trying."

Sir Drutarak

The minotaur considered the story that Terra told him. "Wow! That is quite a tale! A dragon? I have never met one, but I have heard of them. They are supposedly massive! Was Lord Brazamal?" He frowned at the mention of the possibility of war between Federation of Magic and the Coalition States. "War is a hell of a thing. A destroyer of lives, a destroyer of worlds.
It should be avoided at all costs. Only the dead have seen the end of it. I have no wish to partake in a war on either side. Part of what allows a cyber-knight to do what they do
is staying apolitical. We can operate on the fringes of the war and help those that truly need it: those that are trying to escape or are collateral damage. The innocents are often forgotten
when states go to war."
His faced remained calm and neutral, but inwardly he thought The Coalition States are ruled by evil, but the Federation of Magic isn't exactly innocent here either. Their methodologies and the beings they sometimes employ are reprehensible.

Later, Sir Drutarak changes into his lighter combat armor, leaving his heavier armor and his other belongings in a corner compartment that he found for his own use. He had been wearing his heavy Titan plate for so long, that it felt awkward taking it off. Whew, I stink. I should bathe. Does this ship even have a bath big enough? Might come down to a bucket of seawater and a bar of soap.

When he was summoned by Marko, he wasted no time in heading to the galley. He was surprised to find that Marko was a Grackle-Tooth. Having never seen one before, he marveled at his size, and idly wondered if he or Marko were the stranger of the beings in the room from the viewpoint of others.

Sir Drutarak eventually spoke up in a deep voice "I do not want to intrude upon your quest, but I would ultimately like to return the refugees to their home in Wangler's Knob. Since we lack proper intelligence on the lay of the land, I feel that it would be best if we perhaps scout it out first and possibly see where the other members of the village have fled to. If the village is deemed safe enough, we can bring the refugees to shore. In the meantime, they can remain a little longer on the ship if need be. I know this request might delay your own timelines, and I do apologize, but I have a duty to protect these people and get them to safety. I would also like to reunite them with their families that may have escaped the Splugorth. I see few other options for them other than somewhere else in Maine, as taking this many people further inland would be difficult for all parties involved."

He frowned as he continued. "In my experience, the east coast of the Americas is not like the Midwest. I have been through some of the ruins of the once great coastal cities. The coast was hit heavily during the Great War and is pocketed by dead zones, mutants, marauders, monsters, CS excursion and survey teams, bandits, killer robots, and other terrors and uninhabitable areas. Much of the habitable land is already claimed by petty warlords, bandit kings, sorcerer lords, Madhaven, the Iroquois League, and the Shemarrian Nation. There would be nowhere safe for these people to go on along the coast that hasn't already been claimed or ransacked."

"The lands known as Maine are a notable exception, a pocket of paradise in a sea of chaos. Perhaps it had little tactical value during The War and was hit lightly?" He shrugged. "I wish I could offer a better suggestion, but I do agree with Marko that Wangler's Knob right now is potentially the safest landing area." I do wish I knew what state it was in. "If this course of action is not acceptable, or you do not wish to be burdened further, then I can carry on the charge of these people on my own and leave you folks to your noble quest." He hoped they would aid him, but did not begrudge them if they would not. They have their own works to do. Not everyone is a Cyber-Knight.

The minotaur watched Ramius and Habbattar prepare the magic circle. While the form of the circle was familiar to him, it was quite unlike the dark magics he had seen back on Palladium. They clearly aren't trying to contact an Old One or channel dark powers. He remained cautions, yet still suddenly felt oddly aware of a particular spot on the center of his back momentarily, and made a point to lean against a bulkhead. When Mellar suddenly seized into a vision, he quickly cast aside his thoughts and rushed to her aid, his emergency medical training taking over. He eventually deferred to the others, as Gradicus especially seemed to have the situation well in hand. They all seems to have good hearts, and show good initiative.

He was startled and spooked by her revelations. She's a seer? A swarm? A swarm of what? The hairs on his arms stood on end, as various thoughts and images of possible threats raced through his mind. Was this a trick of the Old Ones? The Splugorth? Or something else? Perhaps I should make contact with other knights. Get the word to Lord Coake, another elder knight, or someone on the council of New Lazlo if possible.

When Mellar mentioned his name, he looked at a loss. Me? There's something I have contacted that even the Splugorth fear... But what could that be? But...what if...that's impossible. He was again reminded of the cursed profane mark on his back. Or is it? I have tried burning this mark off, and yet it comes back when the other sigils did not. Does Earth have its own Old Ones? Does Netosa have pull here? Could one of my tribesman be behind this? Or something else?

He looked as bewildered as the others, but sighed heavily in a resigned manner. "There's nothing that I can recall that I have encountered here on Earth that would drive fear into alien beings like the Splugorth that I am aware of. But back on my homeworld of Palladium..." He paused for a time, gathering his memories. He felt apprehension at what he was about to say, but decided to go through it anyway. It was in the past. "I have a bit of a tale to tell. If you'll be so kind to indulge me a moment."

He spoke calm and carefully. "On my world, I was born into the service of my tribe, the Kkairojan, deep below the wastes of Baalgor, in the forgotten caverns. I know not who originally made the caverns. Perhaps dwarves, perhaps kobolds. Like most minotaurs, I did not know why we lived that way, only that a great calamity drove us there, and that we should not allow ourselves to be discovered, or we would be destroyed by our enemies on the surface. Later, when I was inducted into the higher echelons of the tribe, I began to suspect that we were driven below the world due to our worship and service to the terrible beings called The Great Old Ones." He sighed again as his words brought back painful memories and regrets that he hoped to suppress. "Minotaurs...especially my people, have ties to the Old Ones. We can draw power from serving them. Perhaps we were even created by them. And while in my tribe, over a decade ago, I served them as a soldier of darkness and a harbringer of chaos, in the service to the dark witch-priests and necromancers that ruled our tribe. I was bred that way, raised that way, born that way." His face grew heavy with remorse. "My birthname was Kalak...Kalak Darksworn. A name I abandoned when I fled my tribe and came to Earth through a rift. I, like a few others, was descended from a great and powerful necromancer-king that once ruled a great city of minotaurs on the surface prior to the great calamity. I knew no other way of life, having lived exclusively in my tribe, and encountering few others, and even then, only on raids to the surface for livestock and prisoners. Even then, I had my doubts. Savagery and killing for the sake of it wasn't natural to me. I served, but not truly. Perhaps I was too afraid at the time. Or I was not smart enough to find a way. I am not gifted with a particularly keen intellect."

"That was our way of life. It wasn't until we were forcibly and unexpectedly uncovered by the Great Earthshaker that I discovered different. Once uncovered, we immediately clashed with a previously unknown minotaur tribe, the Adraodan, minotaurs who served The Light, who were there to stop us from escaping. We drove them off, but in doing so, I found that there was indeed another way of life. Minotaurs who followed a different path. A path I could take. It didn't have to be this way."
He realized that he was digressing.

"My apologies. I haven't spoken about any of this in a long time. Not since before I became a Cyber-Knight. It is long in my past." He paused, swallowed, and continued. "The Old Ones...the Old Ones are to Gods and Alien Intelligences what Gods and Alien Intelligences are to humans." He recalled what Priestess Callaia had often said in the caverns of darkness. "The Old Ones are, the Old Ones were, and the Old Ones will be." He continued from rote memory, almost chant-like. "Xy: The Great Old One, Alvil: The Envy and Jealousy, Agu: The Life, Birth, and Rebirth, Erva: The Darkness and Death, Ya-ahk-met: The Power and Light, Tarm-kin-toe: The Hatred, Treachery, and Vengeance, Ya-blik: The Pestilence, Betrayal, and Pain, and..." He paused, before saying the last one. "Netosa: The Eternal Darkness."
He explained further. "These beings created perhaps everything everywhere, and it is the belief of minotaurs that they are the creators of all magic. Magic beyond comprehension. I have not read the Tristine Chronicles, but it is said that they cannot be destroyed, and were instead put to sleep and sealed away for all eternity with great and powerful magicks at the beginnings of recorded history, all except Xy, who vanished entirely. Though they sleep, they dream, and can influence and grant power to their followers. Power that corrupts. I have beheld that power, and it was not easy to cast aside. I have many scars, both mentally and physically from the ordeal, and have suffered greatly in my escape from them." He continued. "Their followers, my tribe included, and perhaps most of their human and minotaur followers, wish to awaken the Old Ones somehow, and unleash a new Age of Chaos across the megaverse. I will not let that happen."

"Supposedly this act is impossible, but I have it...on good authority that this is not entirely the case. Agents from my former tribe have been frantically searching for the works of the great elven wizard Lictalon. Legends say the mage found a way to weaken the magicks used to trap the Old Ones, and it is noted in the fabled Tome of Tanasmrian, and Tanasmrian's Notebook, particularly the ninth copy, but possibly in others. I believe that at least one copy has made it to Earth via the Rifts. I also believe that I am not the only one of my tribe to make it to Earth, and that perhaps they, or other followers of the Old Ones are also searching for these books. These works cannot fall into the wrong hands. I have made it my own personal quest to stop them if I can, and find the book so that I can prevent this great disaster. If found, I plan to take the tome to Lord Coake, or failing that, destroy it. I have faith that he will know what to do."

He paused to let his words sink in, before stating "I tell you this tale so that I can assure you from personal experience that is the only threat that I know I have touched that even the Splugorth might fear."

(O.O.C.: Rifts World Book 36: Sovietski has a great section on Dead Zones that is applicable to North America. Only took Palladium Books almost forty years to come up with it.)

The technowizard does not respond immediately to the cyber knight's words - instead, her eyes muster the sky outside, almost expecting giant clouds of winged creatures to hide the firmanent. Not yet; perhaps soon. "That's vague." Just like the vision, there's a severe lack of facts, with very little to fill the gaps.

"Let's say those Old Ones are the threat we're facing - what does the vision then really tell us? An incoming threat, devourer of worlds - we have that covered. From outer space, though; they should have been locked away in your homelands, not somewhere in the void of our universe, right? Who sealed them away, actually?" A turn towards the minotaur, before she continues to explain her thoughts. "The seed? Might be a metaphor for the book you spoke of, or a means to free them in general; the seed of their spreading power, so to speak. The swarm, though? Perhaps the Old Ones themselves, though numbers wouldn't add up to a swarm if you named all of them. Their followers, instead? An invasion of loyal minotaurs and other servants, following those who might already be here? Sounds far-fetched if you ask me, like most of the other things you mentioned. Besides, they'd step through portals, not arrive from space."

She pauses for a moment, before quietly adding: "Not saying that those Old Ones don't exist, or that they're not the threat; Just that things don't seem to add up. And it's not like we'd know where to find those books either - if those are even the things we're looking for. No point in searching them while something else devours our world in the meantime."

Her mind returns to the seer's words. "Can't think of much that would rival the Splurgoths' power, nothing I would have faced at least. Coalition, mages - Atlanteans and the like; threats to them, certainly, if we forget about politics between them, but nothing they'd have to fear. Hard to imagine a shivering demon, actually, now that I think about it. Makes me wonder if they know what we might be facing, though. Not that they'd tell us, or that they'd make decent allies; but if the Splurgoth and their servants know what exactly that swarm is, then those who try to fight them might have stumbled across those fears during their search for means to defeat them, and the knowledge might be out there, somewhere. After all, you need to know of something's existence to fear it, and such things tend to get recorded one way or another." A brief interruption as another thought reaches her mind. "Would the Splurgoth know about the Old Ones, and would they have had a chance to face them or their servants at some point in time?"

Shaona turns towards the Atlanteans. "Your people would perhaps know about that; you've fought the demons, after all. So might others who dealt with them, or planned to deal with them at some point." Her eyes move back towards the magical drawings on the floor. "I'd say we can speculate quite a bit, about Old Ones, tomes and hidden seeds. But I doubt we'll find any certainty in this room alone. Maybe someone knows more than we do, then we're lucky" - her eyes on the chalk lines show whom she'd trust to know more, if anyone has a clue at all - "otherwise, we won't know enough about the threat before it hits us. In that case, the best we can do is get the villagers back home, and then continue the journey until more visions, books or a direct attack show us what to do."

A deep breath. "In short: Doubt we can do more than simply continue, and try to spot the swarm when it acually arrives."

Sir Drutarak

The minotaur laughed. "You're absolutely right Shaona. It's INCREDIBLY far-fetched. Completely and utterly improbable. I'm not particularly imaginative, but they are the only beings I can think of that would be powerful enough to give the Splugorth pause." He considered her other words. "I know not who actually sealed them away, but in human beliefs in the Old Kingdom, it was a great dragon, a great elven wizard, and I believe a titan who combined their magicks, with the aid of the Gods of Light, led by Thoth himself, who cast the great spell." He shrugged. "I know not if that is true, nor the details behind it. It happened over seventy-thousand years ago on my world, according to the timeline of the empire. I haven't read the Tristine Chronicles, which account for the Age of Chaos. As for the other things, are not The Rifts themselves a tear through time and space in which things could travel? Wouldn't necessarily have to come from the sky, the stars, or the sea themselves." He found it momentarily odd that he had a harder time imagining beasts coming from the stars or the ocean than from something as fantastic as a rift. "As I said, I don't know what else it could be. I don't know the Splugorth's relation to the Old Ones, other than they sound like a former servant. I have not faced any other horrors that I am aware of that would shake the Splugorth, nor do I know why else I would be tied to the vision. I have heard of the Xiticix, who are here on Earth in the Americas, yet far from Maine. I have not faced them, nor been touched by them in any way. They are sometimes considered a swarm. But they are not coming from space or a rift, and I have no idea if they would scare the Splugorth at all." He paused momentarily to consider. "I agree with you. Without more information, clues, or more ideas, we can do little but ask around while we continue our journey. Would perhaps someone from Wangler's Knob know anything? Would Lord Brazamal? Do we have any divining magicks of our own?"

Once it is clear that Mellar is no longer in any danger, Habbattar continues his work to make the casting circle. It takes only a few minutes for him to finish and step back to check his work. A few minor adjustments later, and he nods in satisfaction. "There. That's the best I can do under these circumstances. Gradicus? Terra? Shaona? I am ready to begin if you are."

Unless there is an objection, he steps into the circle and begins the ritual. "Please, step to the circle's edge and join hands. This ritual only takes a minute, so we should be able to get a response from Lord Brazamal quickly."

With the donation of some of your mystic energies made, those at the circle's edge can feel the sensation of a new presence in the room. You all then can hear the elder dragon's voice. "Habbattar, my old friend! It is good to hear from you! I trust that you are well? Have those that I told you of arrived to bring you back?"

"Yes, ancient one. We are away from Atlantis and are on our way to North America as we speak, with all four of us alive an unharmed. There are some issues that have come up, and we would like some assistance from you, if possible."

"Excellent news! I must tell you, I really needed to get some good news for once. Tell me what I can do for you."

First, the elf mage quickly gives a summary of the events of the sinking of your ship, and the acquisition of the Slaver Raider. "We need a safe passageway that will not get us shot immediately on sight. Do you know of a solution you can offer up?"

Brazamal rumbles deep in his throat. "I fear that until you get closer to Dweomer, I have little to offer you in the form of a safe passage. Once you are at the edge of the Magic Zone, then I can send word out that you are coming. I am sorry that I cannot do more."

Habbattar lets out a sigh. "I understand."

"You spoke of issues, hinting that there are more questions you have for me. What else is on your mind?"

This time, Habbattar tells of Mellar's vision. You can almost feel the waves of displeasure from the dragon-presence. Then Brazamal answers, "Mellar is not the only seer to have visions of some sort of Swarm, a Destroyer that threatens us all. Most are just vague impressions, but until now, I have not heard that this threat is already taking root in our world. I will make some inquiries on my end, but I do not know if I will be able to get more information that what you have in hand now. Mellar is one of the stronger seers that I know of, and if her visions are unclear, it is unlikely that anyone has better knowledge of this threat that she does."

Habbattar nods. "I suspected that would be your answer, but I had to ask." Looking to the others in the room, he says, "The time of this spell is finite, and will run out soon, but if you have questions, ask them now."

Before the ritual can begin, there are at least some questions that can quickly be answered. "Wangler's Knob maybe, but I'd say it's unlikely - unless the swarm is already there. Never heard of the place before, so I doubt they'd know more than the rest of the world. Brazamal, though; he might have answers, or at least the right contacts. Have had very few questions over the years that he couldn't answer within a few days. Then again, I never asked him about invading swarms. As for divine magic: Not my field, at all. The Bible might have told me that it's unusual to read a hundred pages while you let the tea brew, but that's about it; never found time to take its lessons to heart after that, and never found a preacher who tried to understand a thing. Maybe one day - but until then, no divine magic for me."

Other magic, though - always, whenever possible. Especially if it answers questions, just like the ritual is supposed to do. The magic flowing through her veins, united with the strength of those around her; it is a different, unfamiliar spell, and certainly a useful one. Perhaps one that might be worth spending some time on, at some point along the way - for now, though, learning has to take a back seat, as more important questions are asked.

The answers, however, are rather lackluster. Some help to return, but not just yet. Other vision, but none of them clearer. And more bad news, as the dragon indicates, demanding another question.
"You said 'good news for once' - the coalition? How are things right now, open conflict already?" There is certainly concern in her voice, with her worries reinforced by the dragon's words. "Haven't heard much about the world since we left, only what Habbattar told you about."

Brazamal replies to Shaona with, "There have been . . . incidents . . . with the Coalition, nothing on too large of a scale. Tensions are very high. There are those in the city that believe that conflict is inevitable, and wish us to make a preemptive strike, and counsel meetings are very contentious because of that. Not to mention that there are other mystics and seers in the city, all having visions of some unknown threat that comes from beyond the stars. It is like we are in a balloon being blown up too full. Sooner or later, something is going to make it burst."

Terra looks unhappy. "Lord Brazamal, if what Mellar is foreseeing is true, we may be a bit delayed in our return to Dweomer. We have come across a Cyber Knight that, according to Mellar, has already come across this evil, and we are approaching it ourselves. Is there any other instructions you can offer us, or words of advice?" She sounds hopeful, but realizes that from as far away from the city that they are, any comments made will most likely not be helpful.

Brazamal replies, "As I said, I can offer up little in the way of advice from here. Once you get back to the Magic Zone, then I can provide some more assistance to you."

Habbattar looks at the group and asks, "Does anyone else have a question to pose to Lord Brazamal? The time limit of the spell is rapidly approaching."

Sir Drutarak

Drutarak observes the ritual in silence. Initially, he thought to ask Lord Brazamal about his knowledge of the tomes, the Old Ones, or perhaps even the Tristine Chronicles, but decided against it. I am uncertain if I can trust him yet. They say on Palladium "Never deal with a dragon." I know not what his plans are, or where his true loyalties lie. To be fair, I don't even know if this actually pertains to the Old Ones at all. Could just be a coincidence. I should not prejudice myself against the evidence or jump to conclusions. What if the seer was wrong?

He spoke in a deep voice and asked "Lord Brazamal. I am Sir Drutarak, the cyber-knight that they spoke of. Thank you and your agents for rescuing me and these people. Please forgive me for my boldness, but in our charge are additional innocents and noncombatants rescued from the Splugorth. Women, children, the ill, the infirm, the elderly. I worry that many are not fit for a long travel across the wastes. Do you know of any place near the old state of Maine where they could find refuge, even for a short time? A safe house perhaps?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back