• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Terra is more than a bit surprised. A minotaur Cyber Knight? I have heard of many different kinds of DBees being allowed into the order, but not one of those before! She says over the radio, "If you have found a Cyber Knight, then we have truly been lucky in our escape! Not only did we rescue the four beings that Lord Brazamal has sent us for, but we have over a hundred civilians free from a life of slavery or worse, and now a Cyber Knight! I have good news, too. It seems that the people freed that have come up here are all in relatively good shape, and only in need of some food to fill their bellies and a bath to clean their bodies up. Other than that, there are no serious injuries on there people that I can see."

OOC How much time has gone by since we have taken the Slaver Raider?

The process of getting everyone up and out of the cells below decks and getting them fed and clean takes about an hour. From the time that the fighting had started at the Splurgoth base, it has been a total of three hours for the recovery of your PPE and the slow self-repair of the two Automations. By this time, the damage done to them is fixed, and the Starfire Pulse cannon is recharged. Before long, the duration of the mystic tattoo that summoned Smoochie will end. Is there anything that Gradicus wants it to do before your summoned Anti-Monster fades away?

Outside the ship, the waters of the North Atlantic are getting choppy, forcing the Slaver Raider slow down from its rapid retreat from the coast of Atlantis. But even at this speed, it is still faster than the trip there, so you will be back to the coast of North America in just over a day.

What is everyone doing during this time?
Purr Purr Psychie Psychie Vaneheart Vaneheart Silanon Silanon

Sir Drutarak

Relieved to find that everything is well in order and that everyone appears to be in decent health and in good hands, Drutarak takes some time to assess his own injuries, repair any damage to his equipment, and look for his missing weapons and his hovercycle. While searching, he considers a few things. I don't feel like we are out of this quite yet. This seems too easy. The Splugorth could be tracking the ship from Atlantis. We may end up having a fight on our hands once we arrive.

His thoughts turned to the townsfolk of Wangler's Knob. They will have the worst time of it. The Splugorth and their minions will surely seek reprisal against these poor folks, to make an example of them, and if not, they are still going to have to rebuild their lives once they get back, and reunite with those that got away. They will be vulnerable for some time. Maybe it would be best to move them to another location ? But what sort of life is that, to abandon ones home, hide from evil, and be on the run? Perhaps it is the story of most in the eastern wastes? The powerful evil versus the powerless good. Yet another reminder why we cyber-knights exist. He grinned momentarily. Master Kodara would chastise you for all this. He always said that you don't have the mind for philosophy.

He thought of his newfound allies. These are some interesting, heroic, and varied folks, but what do I truly know of them? Their quest was to rescue people from Atlantis? That cyborg was pink. I should speak with them more. I know so little of Atlantis, and it would be worthwhile to know more about our enemy.

After a while, the minotaur cyberknight found a porthole window and looked out it. Strange days. I have never seen the sea before. It is beautiful. So much water. I have heard that it is poisoned with salt. Never been on a ship either. A little over a decade ago, I would never have believed any of this. I would have laughed in my own face and called me mad. Yet here I am. On a ship on another world. He found himself lost in thought as he stared.

Last edited:

Combat Attributes
Perception +2 (more when fighting Vampires)
Initiative +2 (+6 when using sword)
Strike +13 (+16 with one sword, +17 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Parry +11 (+12 with Tattoo-Magic shield) (+14 with swords)
Dodge +11
Roll +6 (Automatic Roll and Breakfall from Zanji)
Save vs. Magic +7
Horror Factor Saving Throws (+4 to save from Undead Slayer)
Horror Factor 13 (Awe. 12 from Atlantean, +1 from Heritage)
Attacks per Round: 6 (+1 additional attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 additional attack from Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
TW Force Cannon - 1D6x10+10. Range: 2,000 feet.
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs three attacks.
M-160 Ion Rifle - 1D6x10 M.D. (15/30 shots remaining in E-clip). Range: 2,000 feet.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.
NG-SE9 laser pistol - 3D4+3 M.D. Range: 1,000 feet.
Silver-plated gladius - 2d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.
SIlver-plated knife - 1d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.

Gradicus spent his time with the refugees (getting his canteens back if they were done with them). He listened to their stories, if they were willing to share them, and learned as much about the Splugorth raids and about Maine as possible.

If it cheered the captured folk, he also shared his own tales with them, including showing off the trophy of the slaver's head. With Smoochie beside him, he sang and performed whatever antics necessary to raise their spirits and remind them they were going home. Home!

Gradicus also took the time to congratulate and thank each person in his group for pulling off the nigh-impossible.

Terra and Shaona, he felt, were creative and brave, especially given their extremely dangerous circumstances and hellish fate had they failed. Gradicus had meant every word he had said back at Elder Brazamal's mansion. He hoped his group be back there soon.

He spent the last two hours in deep meditation and playing with dear Smoochie, there on the bow of the new ship, the wind blowing through his hair and the salt water breeze on his skin.

When, at last, he dismissed Smoochie (with one last grateful peck on her cheek, of course!), he sat with the moon above him and relaxed.

Gradicus wondered during his meditation. Did his tattooed monsters have souls? What happened to them once it was his turn to die? He knew not.

But the young True Atlantean did know that their love for him was real. Real enough for him to feel it, just like his love for them - as real as the magnificent, magical tattoos all over his body.

Souls or no souls, that was good enough for him!

full

Image credit: Atlantean by Chuck Walton)
STATUS Location: Leaving Atlantis in victory!
Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (306/306) Self-P.P.E. (25/262). Power Matrix (20/40 P.P.E. remaining). Talisman (0/100 M.D. 0/3 daily uses remaining). Blazing Comet (Mach 4 for 4 hours. 1/80 M.D.). Smoochie (460/500 M.D. for 4 hours).

Shaona, tw

The silence around her was far from perfect - the sounds of the ocean, the ship's steady heartbeat, voices spread by the wind around her. And yet, it was still calmer than during any of the last few days; and for once, Shaona didn't object. The hectic hunt towards the ship, the tiring journey before; her body felt the exhaustion, and it certainly didn't mind a break. And just like the others, as far as she knew, the technowizard seized the offered chance. A few shared words, a joke or two, then she'd made her way back to where she could watch the waves, as well as the sky behind them. Partially wondering if they'd make an attempt to still stop the ship along its journey; they had slowed down, after all. Partially wondering what they had left behind, apart from fires and ash; few reached Atlantis and returned victorious. And, lastly, considering what was in her back, ahead of all of them. They'd been away for days by now, and things quickly changed within this world. A possible war between mages and coalition, many friends near the possible frontlines. Few of them likely to back out, most of them eager to fight for their cause. Not that she was too worried, that was the job of old, grumpy men; but it certainly made her ask what they had truly gained with all their prowess and expertise. Of course, just walking down the stairs would've quickly answered the question - dozens of lifes saved, experts amongst them, some powerful enough to make a difference. And yet, perhaps more had been needed, for whatever the future held.

She spit out. Enough of those thoughts. They'd made it out alive. Here she was, still breathing, after dragons, gargoyles and slavers had had their chance to stop her. Not too shabby for someone like her. Not too bad for a spell-slinging technician. Tech and magic had brought her to this point, and thus those were the things she put her focus on now. Sitting there, rechecking her gear; not much damage done through her shields, little to do in that regard. The magic, though: Depleted. Just a matter of time, however. Sitting there, staring at the ocean, she switched between different states of mind. Sometimes seemingly meditating, as her hands absently cleaned blood and dirt from her armor. Sometimes present, but motionless, as she murmured words to redirect the flow of magic through her body into the batteries of the suit; making sure that, if there was trouble incoming, its reservoirs would be full enough to protect her. Sometimes day-dreaming, because those moments are needed as well.

No hectic activities, for once; a deep breath, before the journey's end would come. Time would tell how things would continue; perhaps war already, perhaps something else. The dragon had chosen a capable group - if things went well, they were about to return.

Last edited:
Now with everyone up on the crew deck, you are able to trade information back and forth about who you are, and how everyone got to be where they are now.

It is during this time that the tale of Sir Dru is told, of how he was standing his ground in front of two Splurgoth Slavers and a full score of the Altarians to try and give the civilians of Wangler's Knob time to retreat. Most were able to flee and hide, but the group here on the ship were all rounded up and hauled along to a horrible fate - up until Gradicus dropped below decks and found them! At this point, the townspeople have no idea what kind of condition their homes are in, and are all very anxious to find out if they even have homes to go to.

Sir Dru finds out that the hero's on the ship were sent to Atlantis on a rescue mission, funded by a elder dragon, to bring back four escaped prisoners, including a high placed minion of the very Splurgoth that had captured you! The fine crew of sailors on the ship that brought them here had their original vessel shot out from under them, but thanks to a crazy plan, these madmen were able to steal this ship and use it to get back to North America. Truly a bunch of resourceful individuals!

The Cyber Knight knows that there is about to be a major conflict in the world, with the Coalition States struggling to eliminate all magic from North America, and along with magic, the destruction of anything non-human! Standing up against this juggernaut of human technology is the Federation of Magic as they call upon the various powers that their magic users possess in an effort to maintain their existence. It is truly a war of extermination, and the High Counsel of Magic has put out the call to all that would stand and resist the Coalition to come to join them. Perhaps these intrepid souls would be willing to join with you in your efforts to stop the carnage you can see coming.

By now, all expended PPE and ISP has been recovered, and Terra's Automations are back to full health.

For the immediate future, Terra will be going through the refugees that they have rescued to make sure that everyone has enough food and water, and that they have a chance to get cleaned up and healed of any injuries that they may have. When she is sure that they are all taken care of, she will then go to learn more of this Minotaur Cyber Knight.

It takes a bit of getting used to, seeing this huge, hulking creature and know that he's been found worthy to go through the training of the Order. She shakes her head at the thought, as it is unworthy of her. "Sir Dru, what brought you the town you were at when the Slavers attacked?"

Vaneheart Vaneheart

Sir Drutarak

Having heard the story of his battle against the Splugorth raiders at Wangler's Knob, Sir Drutarak chuckled and said "I only did what any good knight would do in that situation. Lets not turn it into too grand of a tale." He winked and smiled. He was unused to acclaim. He spent some time among the villagers, attempting to help where he could, and bolster spirits when possible.

When asked the question by Terra, he attempted a friendly smile, and nodded. "My own quest is rather simple compared to your own. I had just finished up driving off some bloodthirsty bandits from the Ear-Tearers clan in the wilderness near the ruins of Old Pittsburg, when in a nearby hamlet, I heard tales of missing people and empty villages all along the east coast. I had also heard some rumors of a grand library hidden in the ruins of the old world, also on the east coast, perhaps in New York, or in a place called Maryland." The names felt strange on his tongue.

"For some time I have been hoping to locate any of the works of Lictalon, or perhaps even a Tome of Tanasmrian. Legends and stories on my world suggested that the ninth copy of the Tome of Tanasmrian had left the world via a rift." He shrugged. "I had hoped that place was here on Rifts Earth. Plus, I have a fondness for reading." He grinned. "In any regard, I put the mystery of the empty villages as a priority. Unfortunately my search was slow, and I was deterred from large areas due to a...specter of techno-magic from the old war..." He searched for the word for a moment. "Radiation. Yes, high levels of radiation and other invisible plagues like it kept me out of large swathes of the east as I traveled north, especially out of many major city ruins. These places must have been hit hard during the Great War by weapons of massive power. It reminded me of the Baalgor Wasteland on my world, a place ravaged by magical plagues and turned into a rocky desert wasteland in the aftermath of the magical rune-war between the dwarves and the elves."

He suddenly realized that he was getting off topic. "As I got north I did find villages that were completely abandoned, yet few signs pointing to the identity of the attackers or any threat that would drive the people off, and no real signs of conventional bandit activity or Coalition incursion that I could tell. I was beginning to suspect anything; vampires, sea pirates, the creatures from Madhaven? This concerned me, and I had heard in passing from a hunter out of the Iroquois League, and also from a fearsome warrior who called herself a Shemarrian, that the Horune and the Splugorth were known to be active in the area. I kept journeying north until I arrived in Wrangler's Knob. It wasn't long before the Splugorth revealed themselves. I believe they are the ones behind the empty villages and missing people, but I am still keeping my eyes open in case they are not." The world of Rifts Earth is full of surprises and mysteries.

Terra listens with fascination to the words coming from the large minotaur. "Sir Knight, you weave a gripping tale with your words. We, too, have had an exciting story to tell. We were enlisted by Lord Brazamal, an elder dragon from the city of Dweomer to come to Atlantis and rescue several people for him. I suspect that this has some bearing on the growing tensions between the Federation of Magic and the Coalition States. From the escalation of rhetoric from Emperor Proseck, I fear that war is inevitable."

Combat Attributes
Strike +13 (+16 with one sword, +17 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7
Attacks per Round: 6 (+1 additional attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 additional attack from Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs three attacks.
M-160 Ion Rifle - 1D6x10 M.D. (15/30 shots remaining in E-clip). Range: 2,000 feet.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.

Though he already missed dear Smoochie, Gradicus felt much better after his personal energy was restored. This was not his home realm of Tamaerus nor even his home plane; this was Earth and anything could happen at anytime. These and many things like it - Gradicus meditated on each moment he could remember since the battle on the River Walker against the dragon and its bandit cohorts. Most importantly, the young Atlantean did not want to get distracted from their goal of returning the Four Refugees to Elder Brazamal's domain and complete their mission. Just the idea that they had gotten this far thrilled him. From there, Gradicus wanted to see the rest of the refugees home to what was once the North American state of Maine. These people deserved safety and freedom and the opportunity to live their own lives without being under the yoke of any other creature that would enslave them.

He wanted to see how his group (for he still could not bring himself to use the word "team" just yet) was doing. And so, he put the rest of his own thoughts aside and visited whomever was not too busy to visit. Gradicus made a point of seeing Captain Raimus. It was, after all, his vessel that was lost and no matter what he sailed now, Gradicus thought that a creature like Captain Raimus had reason to miss the sunken ship. If the Grackle Tooth needed nothing, Gradicus made his own way and searched for his group.

When he finally came upon his group, he stood to one side, grinning, listening to Terra and Sir Dru while watching Shaona, content to just watch and listen to each person. There was also a part of him that was relieved that they were not fighting at the moment. When it came to violence, even successful gladiators had their limits!

full

Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (306/306) Self-P.P.E. (262/262). Power Matrix (40/40 P.P.E. remaining). Talisman (---/100 M.D. 0/3 daily uses remaining). Blazing Comet (Mach 4 for 4 hours. --/80 M.D.). Smoochie (---/500 M.D. for 4 hours).

Your time at sea is uneventful, giving everyone a chance to recover from the struggle to escape from Atlantis. It is during this quiet time that Marko asks for the various adventurers to come up to the galley so he can talk to you.

The burly Grackle-Tooth is sitting there, chomping on his cigar as everyone shows up. You can see that there is a map of the coast of North America laid out on the table, and Marko is glaring at it. Looking up as everyone shuffles in, he says, "Ah, hello, my friends! I have a few things to discuss with you, in order to get you back to the American coast safely. On our way out, we took the waterways that led through the Great Lakes, and I had originally planned on returning through the same passage. However, now that the River Walker is gone and we are in this ship, that may not be such a good idea."

He taps the map in front of him with a claw. "The Coalition claims rights to the Lakes, and maintains a strong presence with their ships and air force over the whole area. If we were to try to go through that passage now, we would be attacked on sight as a Splurgoth Slaver ship. Until I can get this ship either customized enough to show that we're not one of those bastards or sell the ship for a different ride, it is just too dangerous to go that way."

"I would suggest an alternate drop-off point of here," his finger taps the map once more. "This is where the town of Wangler's Knob is. Or, at least was. We won't know if it is still there until we arrive. It will require you to do more overland travel, but the bunch you have going to Dweomer, you can get there in your Badger no sweat. Then you can collect your reward from the guy that sent you. I think it would be best, but you may have another preferred site to unload. What do you want to do?"

Shaona, tw

During the recent hours of rest, Shaona has been quieter than usual - more in thought, perhaps, and more focused on her magical tinkering than the trip to Atlantis has allowed. Even now, she does not respond immediately, instead cocking her head as she eyes the map on the table.

"Don't like the further delay, personally - the closer we get, the more I'm wondering how much farther things have spiraled out of control since we left. Doubt the coalition waits for our return to get things rolling, and I know enough who'd rather strike first than to let them do their thing." A shrug follows. "Not like we have much of a choice, though - don't want ya to lose a second ship within days, do we? Also allows us to get a few of our passengers back to safety - if there's anything left to return to, that is."

A moment of silence follows as she seemingly waits for the others' thoughts - before they can take the opportunity, however, more thoughts leave her lips. "Haven't been in this particular area before; others have, though." Her eyes find the minotaur amongst them; he's been there when the Splurgoth arrived, after all. "Any other places of relevance that'd make a better destination? For all we know, there might only be ruins left, and those don't offer much in terms of protection and comfort. Yeah, most managed to flee if I listened to the right people, but that might also mean that they gathered elsewhere if there's a safer spot nearby."

She scans the map for nearby villages, or spots that might naturally offer protection.

Combat Attributes
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7

Damage by Weapon Type

Gradicus did not know the lay of the American waterways any more than he knew whatever was left of the Great Wall of China. He had spent time in Canada where he had met his first Anti-Monster, the Coalition, and the Shemarrian Warriors, but that would not help them here. He felt the more options the group had, the better. But what were they? Gradicus spoke up. "If it can be done safely, the refugees of Wangler's Knob should return home. Perhaps we can spend a short time and use some of our talents to help them rebuild and recover. If I had a family and community and we were left with nothing but burned and blasted, I would certainly want it.

"As for returning to Elder Brazamal's mansion, what other choices have we? Is it possible to contact Olsen or Elder Brazamal to suggest a route?" Gradicus performed isometric curls with his forearm while he stood and brooded. In the Arena of Champions, one always sought for opportunities. Especially since in there, very few options and resources were given, so you had to make your own. One had to be creative or tough or lucky or all three to live otherwise.

Still, he spared a thought toward Shaona. He did not know the human half as well as he liked, but to see her this way did not hearten him. "Have a grin, green-hair," he said. "I wish this mission's completion as much as the rest of us," he waved his hand toward the others in the group. "But at least there are likely no Splugorth waiting for us on these coastlines. We shall see this through and laugh and smile on it later!"

full

Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (306/306) Self-P.P.E. (262/262). Power Matrix (40/40 P.P.E. remaining). Talisman (---/100 M.D. 0/3 daily uses remaining). Blazing Comet (Mach 4 for 4 hours. --/80 M.D.). Smoochie (---/500 M.D. for 4 hours).

Terra scratches at her chin, deep in thought. "Perhaps there is a way to contact the dragon. After all, there has to have been some sort of communication between Brazamal and the four we rescued, right? It might be possible to call them on the radio, either from this ship, or from the Badger's comms set."

OOC Sherwood, do we have any contact codes or radio frequencies to be able to get in touch with Braz or Olsen? Especially with Terra's experience in the Dweomer military?

Combat Attributes
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7

Damage by Weapon Type

Gradicus beamed at Terra for hers was a sharp mind. "Fine idea, Terra, and sound! We could also ask the four refugees Elder Brazamal sent us for! They would likely know something."

full

It does not take long to get Garran, Habbattar, Mellar and Ragnar into the galley with you. When you pose the question of just how they were able to communicate with Brazamal, Habbattar raises up his hand to indicate it was him.

"I know a spell that allows communication with an individual at very long ranges. It does require a significant amount of energy, and a personal connection of some sort with the person you wish to contact. The few times I have cast it, I was able to tap into the energies of a pyramid, otherwise I do not have enough strength by myself to cast it. But we can forgo that need if the other spellcasters are willing to donate some of their own energy to assist me with it." He nods over at Shaona, Terra and even Gradicus, indicating that they are all capable of lending their PPE to the effort.

"If we all work together on it, I believe that we can have the spell cast without siphoning off all of the PPE from any of us, probably only taking a quarter of your total energy. After all, a spellcaster that is unable to cast is a very vulnerable individual. Are you willing to aid me in this?"

Terra nods. "Of course I will help. The more that work together, the easier it is on all of us. When would you be ready to begin the spell?"

Gradicus brightens at the sight of the four refugees, for they like him knew firsthand the hell that Atlantis had become under the rule of the Splugorth. The young Atlantean put his fist into his palm as a sign of eager readiness. "Aye! Let it be so!"

I forgot to add in that Terra does have various radio recognition codes from her time with the military of Dweomer. At this range, you would need a very powerful signal to get there. This ship should have a strong enough signal, but unless its encoded somehow, half the east coast will be able to hear your message.

Terra nods. "Of course I will help. The more that work together, the easier it is on all of us. When would you be ready to begin the spell?"
Gradicus brightens at the sight of the four refugees, for they like him knew firsthand the hell that Atlantis had become under the rule of the Splugorth. The young Atlantean put his fist into his palm as a sign of eager readiness. "Aye! Let it be so!"
The elf nods in satisfaction. "Thank you both. I would like to set up a casting circle, to help focus my thoughts. All it takes is a bit of chalk and a few minutes of time. I can be ready to start the spell in, say, fifteen minutes."

Gradicus gave a thumbs-up. "Let us use that time wisely, then. What questions should we ask? Perhaps Elder Brazamal can provide us another route, or perhaps another means to getting to his manor safely? And what of the refugees we found with this vessel?" Gradicus addressed Grackle Tooth Raimus. "How long until we could be at Wangler's Knob, good captain?"

Ramius says, "If the weather holds like it is, roughly eight hours. These heavy waves keeps our top speed down, but this tub is still pretty fast."

"Eight hours," Gradicus mused and grinned. "And have you a name for this tub? In your hands, I think her future has more than rivers ahead."

Ramius chuckles at that. "I don't know if I want to name this ship just yet. If I were to sell it, I could split the coin with the crew and we could all retire in luxury for the rest of our lives. I could keep it, though. With a few modifications, this would be one of the fastest ships on the waters, able to outrun just about anything out there." His eyes sparkle at the thought. "Still thinking about it."

That got a hearty laugh out of Gradicus. "Hah! I would say you have earned the right to think all you like! Besides, you helped pull of what is considered impossible by many - even on Atlantis!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back