• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Uleanar had landed on the back now, listening and greeting the others.

"My name is Uleanar. I guess I have a lot to learn since we had to start running right when I hatched. I don't even know why aside from bad people coming to get us..." He frowns a little at that, not really sure what all to say beyond that. Just taking in the names and introductions where he could. His mind still adjusting and processing to finally being free of the egg. He makes face at the eating people comment.

"I don't like the idea of eating sapient creatures."
Terra gives off a laugh. "Glad to meet you Uleanar. Personally, I'm glad you don't like the idea of eating people; keeps me off of the menu." She looks over at the dragon with a smile. "If you can let me, I am willing to be a good teacher to you, sharing some of my magic knowledge and help educate you about the perils of the land we are in right now."

Uleanar nods some to Terra as his tail swishes about in curiosity. "I suppose I could have some help learning more. This is all so strange to me with having to run. This world seems a bit perilous, I guess..." He looks around and behind some to where that ariship had been giving chase for a time. He looks back and tilts his head a little. "Is all of the world like this?"

Terra lets out a sigh. How to explain the ways of the world in a short time? So much to say. "Sadly, much of the lands around us are hostile, but there are many places of peace and goodness, too. It just requires you to look around you to see the best in people, but be on your guard to protect yourself from those with evil intent."

For nearly a day, the assembled bunch of adventurers and freed slaves make their way towards the coast where the River Walker is waiting for you. As you travel, Garran offers up his thanks for risking yourselves like this to come and help him and his companions get away from the grip of the Splurgoth. Mellar lets out a sigh as she says, "I keep on telling you, the future is not set. There are still many possible outcomes that we face, and freedom is only one of them. If we are not careful, a more unpleasant fate will await us."

Ragnar lets out a snort. "Girl, you need to relax. These here folks faced down a bunch of nasties out there without hardly blinking an eye. With our own resolve in getting out of here to add to it, we shall surely succeed!" He then pulls out a small flask from inside his coat and takes a swig and smacks his lips in appreciation. "We are home free!"

Mellar doesn't say anything, but her expression speaks volumes.

Combat Attributes
Perception +2 (more when fighting Vampires)
Initiative +2 (+6 when using sword)
Strike +12 (+15 with one sword, +16 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Parry +11 (+12 with Tattoo-Magic shield) (+14 with swords)
Dodge +11
Roll +6 (Automatic Roll and Breakfall from Zanji)
Save vs. Magic +7
Horror Factor Saving Throws (+4 to save from Undead Slayer)
Horror Factor 13 (Awe. 12 from Atlantean, +1 from Heritage)
Attacks per Round: 5 (+1 additional attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 additional attack from Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
TW Force Cannon - 1D6x10+10. Range: 2,000 feet.
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs three attacks.
M-160 Ion Rifle - 1D6x10 M.D. Range: 2,000 feet.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.
NG-SE9 laser pistol - 3D4+3 M.D. Range: 1,000 feet.
Silver-plated gladius - 2d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.
SIlver-plated knife - 1d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.

Gradicus grinned at Terra's explanations to Uleanar's questions; who besides another dragon might have a better companion than a True Atlantean of Clan Draco? "Uleanar, Terra's words are true. While the dangers of this world are many, there are equally as many wonders and beautiful places and things if one takes the time to look and appreciate them. This island, Atlantis, used to be one such place. Misfortune and disaster stole this land away from us, but perhaps one day it will be ours again." He took a deep breath of the island air and savored it.

Stretching his powerful limbs, the young gladiator smiled grimly as he kept a wary eye and ear. His voice lowered. "If there is one lesson this world, Earth, will teach you, it is that if you want something, you must strive, perhaps fight and kill, for it. I recommend you be proficient in combat in order to defend yourself and those you might have a responsibility to protect. There are many evils that would take what is yours, but there is also great satisfaction in laying them low."

* * *​

Gradicus returned Garran's gratitude with welcome.

Gradicus's black hair shook in the wind as he listened to the conversation between Ragnar and Mellar. He took a moment near a clear stream to fill his canteen with Atlantean water. He glanced doubtfully at Ragnar. "You count your treasure before it is earned, my haughty dwarf. Mellar speaks wisdom. Complacency kills. Especially here on Atlantis." He glanced eastward and to memories that would both bless and haunt him forever. "I shall not let my guard down until we are on the great continent to our west," the name had escaped him for the moment, "and we are back at Elder Brazamal's table."

He capped and returned his canteen to his pack and he drew Wintertime the wakizashi and admired it for the thousandth time. "Do any of you know of another band of refugees hereabouts? We encountered a cybernetic ogre, an aging sage of an elf named Renault, and a band of about a dozen before we found you. They claim to be escaped slaves and seemed to be telling the truth. We aided them and hope to help them off of Atlantis with you."

full

Image credit: Atlantean by Chuck Walton)
STATUS Location: In the Atlantean Wilds
Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (285/285) Self-P.P.E. (175/236). Power Matrix (20/30 P.P.E. remaining). Talisman (0/100 M.D. 2/3 daily uses remaining).

As they travel, Terra will keep her eyes open wide for any trace of the other survivors of the Splurgoth slave pens as she continues to chat with Uleanar. "From my best estimate, we are only a few hours of travel time away from the coast and our ride home, and those refugees can't have traveled too much farther. Everyone, lets try to find them."
And Terra doesn't see the ground they are walking on. :angrypuff:

Shaona, tw

The refugees - now that the group is rather close to its destination and to where Terra should have sent them earlier, she's tried to look for potential tracks. No signs of them thus far, however - perhaps a good thing, since that might simply mean that they didn't leave an obvious trail behind. "Nothing out there for now, but I'll keep my eyes open. Sky seems to be clear for the moment as well, as far as I can see through the canopy." With that, her radio goes silent once more - let others discuss philosophical approaches to what seems to be a safe return for now, she'll be prepared when things go downhill.

There is no ground, apparently.

When Gradicus asks about other escaped prisoners, Mellar looks sad. "The masters of the slave pens will sometimes allow some people to escape in order to give the hunters some big game to go after. Its not any fun if there is no challenge," she says with a bitter tone of voice. "It is likely that we will encounter some hostile forces that are out here, looking for them, either servants of the Splurgoth, or just some random monster that is attracted by the chance for some fresh meat."

As you travel, so far, there is no sign of any tracks of the other group of escaped prisoners, but you are also traveling along at forty some-odd miles per hour, and if there are any trace of their passage, you are missing it.

From inside the Betty, Eric and Trent let everyone know that they have detected six small aerial targets between you and the coast. Eric reports, "They look like some kind of sky cycles or lightweight flight capable powered armor. They may be some of these hunters that the lady is talking about. Should we try and go around, try and sneak past, or take them on? We still have several days before the River Walker is due to leave, so we are not in an immediate time crunch."

Slowing down her own pace a little, the technowizard scans the sky - the way back has been too quiet thus far, but it seems like that is about to change. At least if others agree with her assessment, shared via the radio after a moment of thought. "Assuming they know their stuff - which seems likely - I doubt it is easy to go around 'em; plus, even if we manage to avoid detection, the refugees might not be so lucky. Doesn't matter whether they were allowed to run off - they're free now, and I don't want that to change. Think we can do better than saving just five."

Of course, fighting them could just as well mean to rescue none if things go horribly wrong, but this entire endeavour has been a risk - might as well shoot for the stars while one's at it. "I'd say we split up, more or less - heavier vehicles try to sneak past while most of us engage them from another angle; give them a target and something to worry about, then catch up with the others when the coast is clear. Right now, we can pick how the fight unfolds; if we try to sneak and they manage to spot us, they get to choose when and where to strike."

(Sure, Sherwood!)

It had been quite some time since Gradicus had made use of his Tracking knowledge, but he loved the idea of using it on land that once belonged to his forefathers and foremothers. With open eyes, open mind, and perhaps a little prayer to the people in the past, he tried his best.

With his keen eye, Gradicus does manage to spot traces of the other escaped prisoners as you are heading towards the coast. A closer examination of the tracks shows you that they are fresh, made within the past few hours. At your speed, you should catch up to them in less than an hour, just before you hit the coast.

As you travel, you are getting closer to the airborne targets that you have spotted on the radar.

Blake, cyborg

i take note of the airborn targets and click on my coms "if they have any radar capabilities then they have most likely spoted us at this range we arnt exactly the smallest things on the island, we may have to fight them, i dont think they will just let us by. i believe that our best course of action would be to stop and prepare to fight, there is no way that we could outmanuver them in this forest"

Combat Attributes
Strike +12 (+15 with one sword, +16 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7
Attacks per Round: 5 (+1 additional attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 additional attack from Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs three attacks.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.

Over the radio, the young Atlantean called. "I disagree, good Blake. Radar is an eye to the sky and is thwarted by the ground and trees and..." he paused to get the right term in his mind before speaking, "... nap of the Earth. If the enemies in the skies knew we were here, they would have acted upon it by now. Remember, they too have radios, and thanks to the Kittani, they likely know we are out here somewhere."

"I'd say we split up, more or less - heavier vehicles try to sneak past while most of us engage them from another angle; give them a target and something to worry about, then catch up with the others when the coast is clear. Right now, we can pick how the fight unfolds; if we try to sneak and they manage to spot us, they get to choose when and where to strike."

Gradicus pondered this and responded. "If we engage them now, they might call in that airship we saw. If that happens, any group we send out to fight them will be forced to flee. If they flee back towards our ship or towards our refugees, they will lead the wolves straight to their dinner. All will be lost."

"The Splugorth minions have much to gain by drawing us from our cover. I recommend we use this cover as long as we can and find the refugees. I recommend Shaona's plan, but done in a different manner - we take Shaona and myself on her metal horse* to find the other group of refugees. If we find them, then depending on our position, we either reunite with you or head straight for the River Walker. For if our aerial units do not spot us at all, we can reunite everyone and be away without further conflict." A memory passed through his mind. "There is only one certainty when in battle with the Splugorth - casualties. Most of ours could be the very people we are risking all to save."

"What say you all?"

* Gradicus "tells" me he could not think of the word "hovercycle" at the moment. =)

full

Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (285/285) Self-P.P.E. (175/236). Power Matrix (20/30 P.P.E. remaining). Talisman (0/100 M.D. 2/3 daily uses remaining).

Shaona, tw

"Don't intend to let anyone die - question is how we get that done, though. Think your plan might be better, doesn't involve anyone being the bait - we try to reach out for the refugees while not puttting the badger at stake by doing it. Haven't seen any signs of them thus far, but if you point me in the right direction, I'll be the first one to join 'em." A short pause as the terrain requires her attention for a moment, then her voice can be heard through the comms once more.

"Thus far, they only know Terra - wouldn't want to have the automatons too far away from the badger, though, and it's not like they have another way out. Could just send a drone, but they'd likely panic and shoot it down instead. No, think this might be the best we have - ideally, we'd meet without any trouble, and in the worst case both groups can hold their ground for a while." Another bump, another pause. "Objections, other than us leaving the badger behind? Can't keep the badger safe and help the refugees without that, I'd say. Think you can protect the vehicles, Terra? You still got Blake's drones, as well as the others. And a dragon - do you know how to fight, little one? Might be needed if you want to see giant factories and open fields."

Terra nods, then says, "Between me, Baby and Junior, we will be able to hold our own against a few of the flyers, but just to warn you, my Automations don't have a very strong ranged attack capability. I have the Starfire Pulse Cannon on Baby, and Junior can cast a ranged attack spell six times before it is out of mystical energy. If I can work with Eric and Trent using the Betty's weapons, and Blake pulls out his drones, we should be able to keep them off of us for a while."

As you are moving out, from inside the Badger, Eric calls out in a worried voice, "Hey! Those fliers just turned and are all booking it towards the coast! I hope that they haven't spotted the ship waiting for us." Almost as if on cue, your radio's crackle to life using the prearranged band that you set up with Capt. Ramius.

"We've been spotted by a patrol boat, and are taking some fire. We're hitting them back, but we may have to withdraw for a bit and come back for you if this gets too much worse. I promise that we will not abandon you here, but it may be a few days longer than we had originally thought it would be. Do you copy?"

Terra lets out a stream of unladylike words before she hits her radio to talk among the team. "Those fliers are probably heading to the River Walker right now. We may be stuck here for a while unless we can come up with a plan. Hey Ragnar? Thanks for jinxing us. You just had to say that we were home free, didn't you?" She pushes her Automations to move as fast as they can, still hoping that they would be able to get to the coast and make a difference in time, but fearing that they would be too late.

blake, cyborg

i hit my radio to brodcast to the team and the River Walker "has anyone seen any sign of the refugees we sent towards the River Walker? we will be better equiped to handle things if we have more minds and hands on our side"

Uleanar had been caught up in his own thoughts, frowning some at the idea of the dangers of this world. He knew he had means to defend himself but then this chatter came of their means of escape being in danger. He was glad for what he was born to know though, to give him his chance in this world.

"I know flight and other things, I think.They're all vague bits of knowledge my parents imbued me with before leaving me to hatch," He admits as he regards those present. "Should I be going to help? Or am I needed here?"

As you are in the middle of talking with Capt. Ramius on the River Walker, all contact is lost. At your current speed, it will take you about a half hour before you get to the rendezvous point with the ship. Long before you actually get there, you can see a plume of dark smoke coming up from up ahead. By the time you arrive, you can see that the ship you were planning on taking is now a battered hulk, slowly sinking in the surf. A handful of the ship's crew managed to escape from the stricken vessel, and are standing on the beach looking out at the disaster happening before them.

Looking about, you manage to spot the other refugees making their way out of the treeline, staring hopelessly at the burning ship. At the moment, there is now a total of fifteen people on the beach besides yourselves.

The cyber-ogre comes up to Terra with a scowl on his face. "I guess this means we're not leaving anytime soon, aren't we? Now you are in the same fix we are: trapped on this monster ridden continent with no way to get home."

Garran lets out a troubled grunt. "I was worried about this happening. I tried not to get my hopes up, but I just couldn't help it." He looks at the bunch of you and says, "I am sorry you were dragged into this. If it were not for us, you wouldn't be trapped here with us."

Ragnar gives out a series of angry curse words, then he turns and says, "We are not dead, so don't try and kick some dirt over my bones yet. We will just have to find another way out of here. With all of us working together, we should be able to pull off some kind of escape plan, right? We were a tough bunch of fighters before our rescue party showed up, and it is clear that they know their way around in a fight, too. We can do this. We will do this. I won't accept anything less than success."

Habbattar laughs. "You were always an optimistic one, I must give that to you. Garran, you know our options probably better than any of us. Where can we find some kind of transport able to take us all off of Atlantis?"

The Overlord is quiet for a time as he thinks. Finally, he replies, "We have the option of trying to get either sea transport or go by air. Either one will be a difficult affair to pull off. There are a few different places where we might be able to secure a ride, but none of them will be easy." He pulls out a datapad and punches up a map of the area. Putting his finger on the coastline, he says, "There is a military base here. It is the base of operation of several coastal warships and patrol boats, quite possibly the same base that the ship that was responsible for sinking our ride. There are several hundred people at this base at any one time, and even though it can service up to six ships at a once, it is rare to have more than one or two in the dock at any one time. While there are many soldiers there, they are often sloppy with their guard duties. After all, who would dare to attack them? That arrogance can be used to our own benefit if you so choose."

"The other nearby option is here," his finger taps the mountains to the south. "This is a small gargoyle city up in the peaks of the mountains. It is very difficult to get there by ground, so there are always airships of various types there to transport visitors to and from the city. The gargoyles are all fierce fighters, so getting to a airship large enough to carry all of us will be difficult."

Garran next moves the map to the east of your current position. "There is one last place we can try to go to get away. There is a hidden pyramid here, a secret retreat used by the most privileged of the Splurgoth as a vacation suite and hunting lodge. The danger here is, if there is a transport, it will be because someone very powerful is there, along with a host of servants and bodyguards to keep the privacy of their vacation secure. It is not in any way certain to have a ship there. I suppose that it would also be possible for us to try and use the pyramid to teleport out, but in order to do that, we would have to get into it and capture the control center. Not an easy thing to do, but if successful, we can use it to jump to another pyramid or possibly a nexus point instantly, saving us much travel time."

blake, cyborg

i climb out of my road hammer and walk over watch intensely as garran describes and lists our options "it sounds like the easiest way out would be the military base, the gargoyles would be to hard to reach and put up to much of a fight. the pyramid while offering teleportation holds even more risk as it may hold an extremely powerful splugoth, the military base seems like it would be the easiest form of escape, if we could catch them by suprise and take a ship quickly then we should have no problem getting out of their range if they only have one ship, if they have multipul then we can always destroy the other before we leave" i then look up at the crew that survived "is captain ramius still with us?"

When Blake asks about Ramius, a couple of the crew point over towards the shore. When you look, you see the Grackle-Tooth sitting on the beach at the waterline looking out at the water. His head is hanging dejectedly as he idly makes circles in the sand next to him with one of his claws.

The dragon alone could not have prevented the disaster - the others had no chance to get there in time. "You would've been the first one to be too late, little one - and they didn't know a dragon was coming." When the contact was lost, she'd failed to give him a proper response - too many words to be shared during the chaos as they'd tried to close the gap in time.

The technowizard spits out as she watches how the vessel slowly sinks, mustering the remains of a once proud ship. Engines that'll roar no more; guns, silenced til the end of time. And, most importantly, their means of escape - gone. When Shaona speaks, her voice is relatively calm, despite her words. "Knew what we signed up for, Garran - and bloody hell, they'll wish they'd just allowed us to get away. You say we take the easiest option, Blake - they'd still outnumber us tenfold at least, though. If you ask me, we visit the pyramid - if it's not occupied, we'll be able to surprise them just as well. And if it is - so be it. Ragnar's right, we've got what it takes. Might be a tougher fight than anywhere else, but it'll surely send a message. Of those three places, it's the only one that actually matters - no Splurgoth cares about a few dozen gargoyles, or a company of expendable mercs. Hit 'em where they actually spend time, though - and things change. If it means that even one of them reconsiders the next hunting trip - that'd still mean that a group like yours might survive just a while longer, perhaps long enough to find a way out." She looks at the ogre as she speaks those last words.

"Better than just escaping, I'd say, and the other options aren't much better. If we storm the base and get a boat, the airships will be able to hunt us - escape by air, and they'll have a much harder time following us, at least. That'd mean to fight the gargoyles, though - you know better what it takes to kill 'em, I've mostly fought humanoid morons thus far." Another load of spittle hits the sand they're standing on. "Someone just told me that there are always casualties when you fight the Splurgoth - he's been right already, and I doubt things will change. Best we can do is to make them pay for it. You hear me, Captain? You won't be able to get that pile of scrap out of here - but you still have a crew. They need you, now. We need you. Noone knows the coastal defenses better than you do. If you think one way to get away is better, we need to know." Her eyes search for her companions amongst those assembled - someone's gotta be good with words, right? Good at giving comfort, perhaps - because even she knows that responsibility alone won't make a broken man stand up.

Last edited:

Combat Attributes
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7

Damage by Weapon Type

Gradicus grinned at Shaona's words for there was the spark of truth and hope in them. The young gladiator could not help but reminisce towards his time as a slave, a gladiator, a refugee, and now a free man. Going through this again brought no fear to him - he had beaten the odds once, he could do so again. But how many, he wondered, could he and his group bring along to freedom and relative safety to the continent of America?

With slow, casual steps, Gradicus approached Captain Raimus (though shipless, he felt the title was no less deserved). "Captain Raimus," he stared across to where he last saw the River Walker, "I am glad you are not one to go down with your ship. Should the reasonable opportunity come to enact some vengeance for the death of your seafaring lady, I will be the first to point it out to you." It was all the comfort he could give him, for he had given his last bottle of spirits to Trent.

* * *​

"it sounds like the easiest way out would be the military base..."
(ellipsis mine)

"If you ask me, we visit the pyramid - if it's not occupied, we'll be able to surprise them just as well. And if it is - so be it. Ragnar's right, we've got what it takes."

This made the young Atlantean cross his burly arms and rub his chin in thought. He thought aloud, sharing his mind for anyone who had interest. "Each situation has its own charm and sense of success, but which is safest for the refugees and is weakest against our fighting force? Storming a naval base of several hundred, however arrogant, strongly invites the idea of enemy pursuit. No ship I know can outpace a flight of power armors or an airship.

"The gargoyles are a supernatural threat as opposed to a technological one; they will have their own surprises, but what do we know of them? Perhaps if our group is well-equipped to fight gargoyles, then why not? If instead we are ill-equipped, then our choice is clear to steer away.

"The idea of a secret retreat and Atlantean pyramid for Splugorth favorites invites all kinds of possibilities. I imagine such a place would not have the numbers of either of the first two options, but the opposing force will likely be a great deal better prepared. There is also the matter of the favorites - what if it is something powerful? Many of us here might not survive. Finally, if an Atlantean pyramid is the only way out, I would bet that only a handful of us know how to operate one, and even then, odd are not high of success. What if the only destinations the pyramid provides are into Splugorth-held strongholds? What will we have fought for then?"

Gradicus spread his arms wide, welcoming a fruitful debate. It would decide their very fates. "Come! Many of us are new to one another! Let us learn a little and be ever the sharper for it. Then we can prepare our path with confidence."

full

Users who are viewing this thread

Back