• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
As the ship closes in on the shore, Terra prepares herself for possible action by strapping on her lightweight armor but, more importantly, making sure that her Automations are unstrapped and ready to move. With that done, she climbs up onto the controller's seat between the shoulder blades of Baby and waits. As the River Walker comes to a stop and the front ramp lowers, she has her magic mecha rise and begin to walk off the ship, Baby in the lead and Junior following along behind. Using the Automation's ability to See the Invisible, she has the two look around to make sure that there are no hidden creatures hiding in the area.

Shaona, technowizard

Too early. It does not take magic or psionic powers to read the wizard's mind right now - both tiredness and doubts can be seen on her face as she finally appears on the deck. She's learnt what Terra was able to share in what little time they had. Her armor suit is once more bursting with energy, and her own reseverves will be plenty enough as soon as the wind blows away the drowsiness; and yet, she feels almost as unprepared as when they stood against the dragon. The unknown awaits with its shady claws and teeth, only waiting for the group to get close enough to the shore - not that it matters. These moments will always come too early, before one can be properly prepared - the alternative is being too late, and that's simply not an acceptable option.

She drums her fingers on the small boat's railing, staring into the darkness ahead; only once surveying the crew for what might be her last farewell. She's mostly silent, caught in her own thoughts, right until the ramp is set into motion. "Guess that's it. If someone wants to stay back, now's the time." For a second, she seems to hesitate herself. But with Terra, the first one leads the venture, and it's easy to follow behind her machines. "Fricking hell." There's no time to think of better last words, you gotta go before your fear catches up and presses you back into your seat. It's not that far until she has sand underneath her boots; Atlantean sand, though it doesn't feel any different. Not for her, at least. For others - certainly. "Here we are - take your time." A quick glance around - the best options the dragon had, and yet perhaps not enough. One hand rests on her amulet, just in case; her eyes follow the automaton's example and search for reasons to activate it.

Last edited:
Blake, Cyborg

when the ship starts to slow down i put down my grease rag and step out of my trailer. "well i guess we are finally here" i say to no on in particular. i then set about preparing my road hammer for travel. tieing things down locking them up so that nothing shifts or makes to much sound when im driving, then i get up into the cab of the large truck and wait for people to unload and get out of the way before slowly driving my truck off of the cargo ship and onto the beach, glad that this is an all terrain vehicle as the tires hit the sand and keep there treading.

Last edited:

1542916825975.png

Trent Lockhart
Smuggler

As Kimberly joined him at the railing, Trent looked out across the water and released a heavy sigh. He thought she would have been more sensible than the others but then she had taken off. They were all fortunate that the Cyber Knights and Glitter Boy were not hostile as it could have cost them dearly in their actual mission. Kimberly's appreciation was a sign that she was at least willing to listen, and then she confirmed it with her lips, "...I would listen to any advice you have to offer." Trent had to shake off the feeling of frustration with the group, in the end they had done something helpful, which netted no real gain towards the mission they were on. Moving forward it would be interesting to see if the others shared her sentiments and willingness to listen. "Thank you Kimberly... I hope to help keep us all alive, but cannot force anyone to do or say anything they simply do not want to. I can offer advice of how I have operated on similar missions, but ultimately the group will do what they feel is necessary..." He flashed her a half smile, knowing full well she could not see the friendly gesture.

At this point it was hard to conceptualize that any of them would be considered the 'leader' but it may just as well of been Gradicus, since the others seemed to follow him. The rub that Trent had with the Atlantian warrior would not be so quickly swept under the rug and the two would have to make amends if they were to work together moving forward. It was something that Trent had become good at doing, convincing others they would benefit more so by working together. The only difference in this case was that Trent wouldn't have to pretend as the two really were on the same mission...

As the River Walker slowed, Trent emerged from his bunk in the belly of Betty. Knowing they would be to shore soon, he couldn't sleep as the anticipation built. The mission was finally about to commence and their only hope of success was for the group of vastly different personalities was for everyone to come together for the common goal of rescuing the slaves. The sandy groan of the vessel coming to a stop was interrupted by the ringing of the ramp dropping onto the shore. It was time. Trent jumped back into the driver's seat and punched a few buttons as Betty's engines roared to life. The headlights shown bright in the night sky, "Foss, take care of those tie-downs so we can get moving!" The low rumble of Betty's engines sparked Trent's excitement. He jumped out of his seat and over to the door, "I've got plenty of room inside and out for anyone who would rather ride than walk..." He was hoping that once off the ship the team could talk about their plan of action before moving too far from the beach...

Eric moves quickly about the Betty, helping the ship's crew undo the heavy chains and cables that have the Badger safely secured in place. Soon, the APC is free and ready to move. Once that is done, the former soldier jumps back into the Betty with a nod to Trent. "All set to roll, boss. Do you want me to drive, or take the turret?"

Terra's searching about for invisible creatures shows that there is nothing to be seen. It would appear that there is nothing waiting for you as everyone unloads from the River Walker. The night is quiet and peaceful right now.

What does the rest of the party wish to do? Purr Purr Epiphany Epiphany

Shaona, technowizard

The sound of tires on the sand, the roar of the badger as it jumps to life - if someone watches the arrival, he might expect more than a handful of travellers. For now, there will be plenty of room for everyone - on the way back, hopefully less so. "Just a moment, Trent." He offers a ride - she won't decline. No point in taking her own bike, at least for now. The smuggler - this is where things should become easier. His choice of transport got them here, his choice of vehicle will bring them even further. As long as there aren't complications, that is - and there's never been an challenge without those. Once more, Shaona stares at the darkness around her - nothing of note can be seen for now, and Terra seems not too alarmed, either. Thus, the technowizard turns away, towards Blake and his truck as it arrives on the beach. "Everything alright back there, or is my lady causing trouble?" Once more, she uses the comms rather than to shout - doesn't seem right to make even more noise, alway surprising how loud usual vehicles can be. Lady refers to her motorcycle - stored away just yesterday, safely secured by the cyborg himself. Good thing he brought the trailer.

It takes a few minutes to get everything unloaded off the ship and onto the beach, but there is no sign of any trouble for you as you do so. Soon enough, both Blake's Road Hammer and Trent's Badger pull up onto solid land behind Terra's pair of Earth Thunderer Automations. Capt. Ramius comes to the edge of the ramp just above the waterline and looks out at the group. "Just remember, I'll be waiting here for seven days. Any longer than that, and you might have to swim back to the east coast of North America. All of you have your radios with the recognition codes in order to be able to reach us on the River Walker, so if we are not right at the shoreline, call us and we should be in the area waiting for you out to sea. Good luck, and good hunting."

Looking at the info given to you by Brazamal, there is a rendezvous point at the base of the mountains that cross the isle where you should be able to find your four escapees. You have passwords to give to them to be able to show that you are the ones sent by the elder dragon back in New Lazlo, so that won't be a problem. From where you are, it will take you approximately one day of travel, depending on what terrain you encounter. Luckily for you, both the Road Hammer and the Badger have good off-road ability, and with the help of Terra's Automations, you should be able to clear most obstructions you come across well enough.

Kimberly Finn

Departing the River Walker is little effort for the Mystic Knight; her arms and armor are all she needs, along with a backpack holding bedding, some provisions and basic survival supplies. She has no vehicles, no machines, no boxes to transport, only a duffel with the rest of her gear that she loads aboard the Badger.

As the cyborg states the obvious, Kimberly steps foot onto Atlantean soil and stands there a moment. It's good to be off the ship and onto firm soil once more. What's more, this is her homeland, where generations of her predecessors were born, lived and died. It's also the most dangerous place in the world. Time enough for that, though. As the party pulls itself together, Kimberly allows herself a minute longer to simply dwell in the reality of being somewhere she'd never thought to go.

And wonder if this is where her mother and father vanished to.

"Thank you, Captain Ramius," she replies to the River Walker's commanding officer. "We'll be in touch."

To the rest of the group, Kimberly says, "I have the sense that we'll be driving through a lot of forested terrain, leading up to foothills and mountains. No roads to speak of so it will be slow going. We'll also want to avoid detection. Atlantis is big but they may have flights overhead could notice vehicles on the move so if any of you know anything about camouflage, it would be wise. Otherwise, let's make good time and pray our luck holds."

With a tilt of her head, the Atlarian Mystic Knight says "Shall we go, my companions?" Assuming Trent is receptive, Kimberly is perfectly content to ride in the Badger.

iXZGT62.jpg

Status
Active Effects: None
MDC:

Head/Helmet: 60
Arms: 42 each
Legs: 66 each
Main Body: 100
PPE: / 112
ISP: / 140

Last edited:

Combat Attributes
Perception +1 (more when fighting Vampires)
Initiative +1 (+5 when using sword)
Strike +11 (+14 with one sword, +15 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Parry +11 (+12 with Tattoo-Magic shield) (+14 with swords)
Dodge +11
Roll +6 (Automatic Roll and Breakfall from Zanji)
Save vs. Magic +7
Horror Factor Saving Throws (+4 to save from Undead Slayer)
Horror Factor 13 (Awe. 12 from Atlantean, +1 from Heritage)
Attacks per Round: 5 (+1 attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 4 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 4 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs three attacks.
M-160 Ion Rifle - 1D6x10 M.D. Range: 2,000 feet.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.
NG-SE9 - 3D4+3 M.D. Range: 1,000 feet.
Silver-plated gladius - 2d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.
SIlver-plated knife - 1d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus +4 S.D.C.

"Black Cat" by Janet Jackson (some of Gradicus's concern for Trent)

Partial lyrics:
Don't understand
Why you insist
On ways of living such a dangerous life
Time after time you stay away
And I just know that you're telling me lies

(Chorus)
Black cat nine lives
Short days long nights
Livin' on the edge
Not afraid to die
Heart beat real strong
But not for long
Better watch your step
Or you're gonna die

--EARLIER ON THE RIVER WALKER--​

Gradicus thought of the demons. Brodkil, they were called. He remembered the human corpses and thought of Trent.

The young Atlantean had seen a great deal in his 40 years, but nothing compared to so many adventuring Atlanteans who lived century after century. Humans, however, continued to be an enigma to him. No two seemed the same. This was especially true of people like Trent. Soon, they would embark with the others upon the very island that had wrought great changes in Gradicus and forever altered his destiny. Upon the sands of the arena, he had seen teamwork literally make the difference glory and defeat, life and death. Gradicus felt if he did not mend fences with Trent, someone in their team might ultimately pay the price for it. For him, it did not matter whom - one death in their team was too much as far as he was concerned.

If this journey were to end in success, some of the shadows between he and Trent required dispelling. Best to do that now. Besides, thought Gradicus, he had an apology to give.

Having spoken with Captain Ramius, Gradicus traded some of his credits for a bottle of hard alcohol, hoping Trent were the type to make use of it. He had yet to meet a scoundrel that did not favor drink, but there was a first time for everything.

After yet another heavy morning workout on the deck of the River Walker, he meditated and used some of his personal energy to replenish the two empty TW-magazines for his new cannon. One could never have enough ammunition, after all. He then switched the scope on his Ion Rifle to his TW Force Cannon and sighted it to his satisfaction.

Once finished with this, Gradicus strolled to Trent's Badger. With the sun illuminating his many tattoos, he tapped the bottle on its hull three times and called. "Trent! Open the hatch! I would have words!"

--ON THE SHORES OF ATLANTIS--​

Gradicus politely declined both Blake and Trent's offers to ride inside their vehicles. As a long-time gladiator in Atlantis's Arena of Champions, Gradicus had seen his share of creatures, machines, and cosmic horrors that could make short work of either vehicle. He did not want to be caught inside should they come across such dangers.

Instead, he preferred to ride atop whatever vehicle was taking point, be it two-legged or multi-wheeled. His newly-earned TW Force Cannon with scope at the ready, he kept a sharp eye out. Using his training to detect ambushes, he manipulated the controls on his multi-optics helm, scanning using magnification while switching back and forth from normal vision to infrared at regular intervals.

"Aye!" he replied to Kimberly. "'Tis a fine day to do the impossible!"

Gradicus hid his grim thoughts of return under this mask of eagerness, for the vile demons and nightmares of his bloody past were not so easily dispelled, especially when walking once again upon the very hells which spawned them.

Atlantean by Chuck Walton.jpg
Image credit: Atlantean by Chuck Walton)
STATUS Location: On the Shores of Atlantis
Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (264/264) Self-P.P.E. (220/220). Power Matrix (20/20 P.P.E. remaining). Talisman (---/100 M.D. 3/3 daily uses remaining).

Last edited:
Blake, Cyborg

as i here shona over the comms i respond. "shes doing just fine, dont you worry." i say as i pull to a stop on the beach to meet with the group. when i get out and plant my cybernetic feet on the sandy beach i fill with a bit joy "we whve stepped on the mythical land of atlantis, the place founded by those who were have god and half man, the place once thought to have been lost to the ocean by us for forever... it has returned but now it houses a sinister species that seeks to rule this world" i say to the group i then look at kimberly as she speaks. "i dont know much about camouflage but i can keep my vehicle quiet at least if we dont try to push it to hard"

1543316776873.png

Trent Lockhart
Smuggler

Trent spent most of his time on the River Walker either at the railing looking out over the water or sitting in his favorite chair with some whiskey. The others seemed to be doing their own thing for the most part and there was no need to interrupt them. The only member of the team that he still couldn't figure out was Gradicus. He seemed so bull-headed in his ways that he does not take into consideration the consequences to himself or the team he has been tasked with working with before rushing into a situation. Trent could never follow someone like that and the more he sat and thought about it, the more he was convinced that the two were destined to clash. Lord Brazamal must have known this would happen and there had to be some reason he put the two on the same team, but the reasoning was certainly unclear at this point in time.

It was mid-day when the knock on the hull and all too familiar voice called out to him. Gradicus. What the hell did he want? The statement he made, 'I would have words' who says that? It almost seemed like Gradicus wanted to start a fight. Finishing his drink, Trent stood and set the glass down on the counter and made his way to the door. As he opened it, the sunlight made him instantly put up a hand to block it out as he squinted and tried to look at the Atlantian a bit hesitantly not knowing if he needed to defend himself from the mass of a man standing before him. "You would have words?" The words from his lips were questioning the intent of Gradicus, but he continued, "...what kind of words would you have?" the whiskey had made him a bit bolder than he should have been, "... and what if I don't have any to give?" Trent stood in the door frame, as if he were guarding some sacred treasure on the inside. Maybe it was whiskey, maybe it was his favorite chair. Either way it did not matter as he just cared about keeping his possessions to himself and only needing to share with the group as need arose.

Once Foss has removed the cables holding Betty in place the massive machine lurches forward like a wild animal from a cage. Trent only moved her forward 10ft, but it was enough to put her into the middle of the deck as he waited for Foss to jump in. Looking around he watched as one by one the others refused a ride, until he heard Shaona react to his offer for a ride. Stepping out of the Badger he walked up to Captain Ramius while Shaona boarded Betty. "Captain, you have my thanks for getting us here safely and mostly without issue..." pulling out the map that Brazamal had given them he opens it so the Captain can show them where exactly they had landed. Once their location is confirmed his gaze turned from friendly to serious as his volume lowered to the point no one more than a foot away could hear them, "... just remember... this ship does not leave without at least me and Foss... whatever the cost... it will be paid..." and with those words, he shook the Ramius' hand firmly as he looked him in the eye and then turned and headed back to board Betty once more.

"Alright let's roll out!" Trent took the controls and Betty carefully rolled down the ramp to the sandy shore. The others were gathered not far ahead as he pulled up close and hopped out taking the map that Lord Brazamal had provided them. He opened it up and held it in the center of the group so all could see. "Okay.... we are here..." he points to a spot on the map that Ramius had confirmed, "... we need to locate the slaves and in order to do so, we should use the radio codes Lord Brazamal had provided to see if any are in range and if so, what their current status is..." He looks at each of them to see if anyone has any better ideas, specifically to the Atlantians, "... any information you have that could help us succeed, now that we are here, would be extremely helpful..."

Last edited:
Shaona, tw

"Good to hear, Blake - and yeah, you're right, quite a thing to be here. Never cared too much for those kind of stories, they're just old myths, after all; but it's funny to stand in a place that really shouldn't exist. Y'know, not just some slightly changed landscape with a bit of magic; an entire new place, ruled by bloody demons. Makes you wonder how the entire mess looks from the other side." There's always another side, Blake's enthusiasm alone proves that. It's not just a death trap, after all. The technowizard glances over to Terra and Gradicus, perhaps wondering if it could do any harm to ask for more insight. Before she can come to a conclusion, however, others are ready to ask the important questions.

Camouflage? Not for an entire badger. Plans? Hard to make any without knowing too much about the island itself. "Can't do much for the vehicles, I'm afraid - they're big and noisy, they'll be noticed at some point. I'd put my money on speed, not on sneakiness. I know, hard to say when we're looking at muddy paths through the vegetation. If it helps, my bike is hard to spot at night and runs without any sound. Barely enough space for a passenger, though - enough to scout ahead if there's need, at least, as long as the terrain is somewhat drivable." Shaona takes a closer look at the map, trying to see what kind of area lies ahead. Wilderness, as far as she knows - and mountains, somewhere in the distance. "If we're lucky, they'll still be in one place, right? Anyone familiar with the meeting point?" She eyes those who might have some form of insight, though she hopes that noone knows. Bad hiding spot if some random travellers recognize it. "Either way, think we'd better get moving soon. Finding the four is one thing; getting out of here if someone noticed where exactly we landed is another."

With Blake in his truck, Terra operating her two Automations, and everyone else catching a ride in the Betty, the group begins to move out. The top speed of the Automations is just forty miles per hour, but they are not holding you back too much as the terrain is uncleared and quite wild. In fact, there are times that Terra's two mecha are needed to use their powerful hands to move debris out of the way to allow the large Badger to get through. At the pace you are setting, it will take about a day to a day and a half to get to the rendezvous point, assuming that nothing happens to slow you down.

Several times as you travel, the radar in the Betty can pick up airborne targets, apparently patrolling the area, or possibly searching for something. These targets do not come anywhere near you, so there is little cause for alarm . . . yet.

You are now several hours into your trip. For those keeping watch on your journey, please give me a Perception roll.

Kimberly Finn

Gradicus' seeming good cheer puts a smile on the Mystic Knight's face. Venturing to Atlantis was indeed a task most considered impossible. The prospect of returning home with a tale like this brightens that smile momentarily, before she remembers the people around her and resumes her usual stoic demeanor.

"Quiet will help," Kimberly says to Blake. "Perhaps even a tarp or covering that matches the color of the trees. I would be surprised if we can actually hide a caravan such as this from direct observation but we could reduce our risk if we at least blend in a little." For her part, the Mystic Knight reaches into her duffel and produces a brown cloak which she promptly girds about her throat to conceal the glossy shine of her white and gold armor.

Trent's words with the Captain do not go unnoticed, though to his credit it would take someone with her hearing to notice them. But then, she could listen a whisper from 150 feet away and double that for the low conversation Trent had with the other man. For her part, Kimberly makes no reaction and says nothing about it. Trent's sense of self-preservation was strong...and if he had other priorities than she did, they were his priorities and no business of hers. He hadn't sworn the oaths to the Code she had, after all.

When the smuggler gathers everyone around to look at the map, Kimberly simply listens to the conversation and points her face towards the paper Trent is holding. Wishing, not for the first time, she could see.

Shaona's offer to scout, particularly at night, is welcome and Kimberly clasps the other woman on the shoulder in appreciation.

Once the crew is underway, the Mystic Knight resumes riding in the Badger with Trent and anyone else choosing the vehicle interior. It shuts her off from the world but it also gives her an opportunity to get to know the men and women she'll be fighting with. Kimberly makes a point of asking anyone basic questions about their background, while volunteering a few stories and anecdotes about her own travels and upbringing as a sheltered, almost monastic knight raised somewhere on America's East Coast in the midst of monsters.

iXZGT62.jpg

Status
Active Effects: None
MDC:

Head/Helmet: 60
Arms: 42 each
Legs: 66 each
Main Body: 100
PPE: / 112
ISP: / 140

Combat Attributes
Strike +11 (+14 with one sword, +15 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7
Attacks per Round: 5 (+1 attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 4 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 4 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs three attacks.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.

"Prime Mover" by Rush (my favorite band!!)

Partial lyrics:
Basic elemental
Instinct to survive
Stirs the higher passions
Thrill to be alive

Alternating currents
In a tidewater surge
Rational resistance
To an unwise urge
Anything can happen

From the point of conception
To the moment of truth
At the point of surrender
To the burden of proof

From the point of ignition
To the final drive
The point of the journey
Is not to arrive
Anything can happen

Standing firmly outside, his many wondrous tattoos glowing faintly in the sunlight, Gradicus made no move to enter Trent's domain. This was Trent's room and while he stayed in it, it was respectfully his castle. The young gladiator could not help but give his very warrior-like grin when Trent answered. Perhaps it was because Trent had enough interest to share words; perhaps it was the faint scent of whiskey. Either way, Gradicus wore an amused, if grateful, grin. He was grateful Trent had answered the door at all after how Gradicus had acted earlier.

"You would have words?" The words from his lips were questioning the intent of Gradicus, but he continued, "...what kind of words would you have?" the whiskey had made him a bit bolder than he should have been, "... and what if I don't have any to give?"

"Well then, I suppose I shall have to do all of the talking," he replied with a friendly smirk.

The young gladiator took a deep breath. His smile faded, replaced by a serious look of remorse. Gradicus felt he was in the wrong and he made no attempt whatsoever to disguise it or any of his feelings. "I do not come to battle with you, human, for I deserve your every harsh word. I have come instead to apologize.

"I shouted at you as though you were Atlantean. I failed to take your humanity into account and thought you craven for wishing to flee and not helping fellow humans in need. Then I became angered when you used your silver tongue to try and sway our team and were successful with my fellow Atlantean. I treated you wrongly - you were undeserving of my hasty judgment." He looked Trent right in his eyes. "Being human, I did not realize you might not even have a people of your own.

"But my people? We live to fight evil! Especially the basest, oldest, and most powerful, like demons! All across the Megaverse, my people have traveled the very stars for millenia - almost every Atlantean a bastion of goodness and refuge against all evil! And I am Atlantean!

He clenched his fist. "Trent, I am an Undead Slayer - like Cyber-Knights, we must answer such calls. Preferably with strategy and intelligence in mind, but even alone with recklessness should the gravest extreme come to pass - like the village. And the village? It was the worst-case scenario for a newly-made group of strangers like ours.

Gradicus regarded Trent with a touch of sadness. "In my naivety, I forget that some races and species are not more or less united in cause as Atlanteans are. Even in disagreement, I would like for you and I to at least understand each other. Atlantis awaits, and I would see us all return together. And so I take back my harsh words and ask your forgiveness." Gradicus held up the fine bottle of spirits he had procured and offered it freely to Trent.

"How do you feel?"

--On the Shores of Atlantis--

"... we need to locate the slaves and in order to do so, we should use the radio codes Lord Brazamal had provided to see if any are in range and if so, what their current status is..." He looks at each of them to see if anyone has any better ideas, specifically to the Atlantians, "... any information you have that could help us succeed, now that we are here, would be extremely helpful..."

Gradicus nodded and spoke just loud enough to be heard. "Aye! I recommend monitoring all radio traffic while using the codes immediately. Keep your vehicles spread about 30 feet apart. Move with silence or in 'low gear' as the human saying goes. Stick to tree cover and expect creatures watching from the skies."

"Our most perceptive should lead the way. Shaona and Kimberly? Would you be willing to take point on Shaona's cycle? Shaona's sight and magical talents coupled with Kimberly's acute hearing would work best without the engines of our convoy interfering. What say you all?"

Gradicus continued to use his talents, his training, and his multi-optics helm to best use. He scanned the skies and listened as best as his ears could over the radio. He turned on his motion detector, too. For Atlantis, even outside the Arena of Champions, was a realm full of surprises.

STATUS Location: On the Shores of Atlantis
Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (264/264) Self-P.P.E. (220/220). Power Matrix (20/20 P.P.E. remaining). Talisman (---/100 M.D. 3/3 daily uses remaining).

Blake, Cyborg

I watch Kimberly curiously as she seemingly looks at the map 'i thought she was blind' i think to myself. i then turn my attention over to Gradicus and nod to his advice, "ok this is your land and your familiar with it i say we go ahead and do it" i then turn to shoana and Kimberly "do you want me to unload lady for you?" i ask referring to the motorcycle in my trailer.

Shaona, tw

Earlier
"That'd be good, Blake - guess she's needed earlier than I thought, sorry for the inconvenience. Could have driven her down the ramp right away, after all." Snatching the map without a warning, she makes sure to look at every detail; she'll be able to recall the drawing later on. "Alrighty, I'll try to find a decent path - you tell me if I get off course completely. You're coming, Kimberly?"

Now
Turns out that the notion of a decent path is relative - in this case, it's mostly the least bad path that she's trying to take, with less success than she hoped. Several times, only Terra's machines can make sure that the small convoy can continue its journey. Whenever the terrain allows her to "speed" ahead, Shaona attempts to stay somewhat nearby while seeing as many things as possible; trusting that the blind warrior right behind her will pick up whatever she might miss herself. There is no sound to disturb her senses - as long as the darkgreen and black patterned bike is far enough ahead for its noise to stand out against the badger's approach, the technowizard makes sure to let her energies flow into the engines, quietening the sounds it causes.

During the ride, she does attempt to make some conversation - mostly details that she picks up along the way, different kinds of flora and fauna that catch her curiosity; yeah, they're here to save people from certain death, and biology is not her field of expertise; but this is still likely the only time she'll ever be here in Atlantis. Gotta make sure to see what you can until something shows up and attempts to eat them.

Last edited:
Blake, cyborg

i nod to Shaona and then unload the bike, i then close my trailer back up and approach the group proposing the a lineup that put the quick and mobile bike in the front and the automatons as our vanguard and rear guard, and put mine and trents vehicles in the middle. after we have discussed everything i head to my roadhammer and enter the driver seat ready to go. as we start moving i call trent over the comms "do you want to manage the radio or should i do it? we should have someone who is always on stand by just in case they try and reach out, plus we should probably send a encrypted message to them at least every half hour and see if they reply"

As Blake is discussing the idea of using an encrypted radio message, Eric brings up a point. "We can encrypt a message five ways to Sunday on our end, but unless the refugees we're going to pick up have the exact same encryption keys that we do, they won't be able to read our message; all they would be able to do is know that someone sent a signal out on a channel that was pre-arranged to be used for us to contact them. I would suggest that any signals we send out should be kept short; less than ten seconds long. That will help to keep us from getting our position triangulated, since we have to assume that they have the same level of radio detection ability that we do. Then, whatever message we do send is right to the point, something along the lines of we are here and on our way to the rendezvous point, then we stop and see if they hopefully reply. Don't give out any coordinates or anything that can be used by the Splurgoths to track us or them down."

Ahead of the small convoy, Shaona is weaving her cycle through the trees a distance in front of the rest of the group with Kimberly sitting behind her on the bike. While Shaona is concentrating on not hitting any trees and marking the best course for the much larger Badger to take as it comes along behind her, it leaves Kimberly able to focus her excellent hearing skills on listening for any signs of trouble. Thankfully for the Altarian, the Techno Wizard bike is much quieter than a conventional internal combustion engine-powered vehicle, so it doesn't impede her hearing perception ability.

What comes to her is two things: First, a hint of wood smoke. It is a very faint odor, but quite detectable. Second, you can hear a very faint sound of many voices talking. The sound must be getting carried on the wind for you to be able to hear it, and it is too faint to be able to identify any language or words being used, but you are sure you hear it.

Farther back in the line, Terra is able to spot a slightly overgrown but well used path leading in the general direction you are heading, with many humanoid footprints on it. At the same time, you also are getting a slight hint of smoke from up ahead. Your hearing is not good enough to detect any voices, however.

From his position in his truck, Blake also notices that there is a path that widens up in front of the convoy. Since you are inside your vehicle, you don't get the same whiff of smoke that the ladies have picked up on. Besides, you are a Full Conversion Borg, so it is questionable that you even have the ability to detect a smell, since you have no olfactory detectors.

In the Badger, Eric also can see the path widening up in front of you guys, but since he's buttoned up in the driver's seat of the Betty, he doesn't smell anything.

Dano Dano are you going to make a roll for Perception?

Terra has the Automation in the lead raise its hand to signal a stop as she works her radio in her headset. "Hold up, everyone. I think . . . yeah. I can smell something coming from up ahead. I think its wood smoke. Anyone else catch a whiff of it? Kimberly. Shaona. You guys are up on point. Is there anything up there?"

Shaona, technowizard

Trees, even more trees, different trees. The further the group makes its way into the wilderness, the more tedious the ride becomes; until at some point, the wizard falls silent, trusting her companion right behind her to watch out as she does little more than absently take whatever path seems like the best one to take. If you even want to call it a path at this point; she certainly doesn't envy Eric or Blake with their larger vehicles. Another tree, she turns to the left, finds an opening that should be wide enough for the Badger; no need to mark it, her trace should be visible enough. Once more, her thumb moves to gather more speed, only waiting for the next obstacle to appear in her sight; the radio interrupts her without warning. "Nothing, at least for me; just bloody trees. Maybe one of the engines?" Not likely, but what else could smell here?

Her thumb is slow to change its direction, but eventually, she slows down as asked. Enough to look back at Kimberly, at least; expecting the all-clear of the blind woman. Not this time. It stinks. Quite subtle, but still; how didn't she notice earlier? "Scratch that." Her cycle comes to a full stop rather abruptly, her lips open to formulate an apology; it's rare that her lady carries more than herself. She never speaks the words. Others speak. Or shout. Or something. Hard to tell, but there are voices. "Scratch that twice." Her response is little more than a mumbling. "Something's ahead of us. Someone. Can hear them." A pause. "No idea who, though. Want us to take a look?"

Terra replies on the radio, "Go investigate, but watch your ass. Any hint of trouble out there, back off and retreat. We will hold position here. If you do need some support, make sure you come back towards us so we can provide some fire support." I wonder if this is some kind of trap? Or am I just being paranoid? Or am I not being paranoid enough? "Blake? You may want to prep your drones."

DraconianWarrior DraconianWarrior

Combat Attributes
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7

Damage by Weapon Type

"Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple (first song that came to mind when I thought of smoke). =)

Gradicus let his sense of smell tell him what it could. What kind of campfire smoke was it? Did the smell of something cooking accompany it?

"Something's ahead of us. Someone. Can hear them." A pause. "No idea who, though. Want us to take a look?"

Gradicus agreed with Terra and added, "What is it your ears tell you, Shaona? I recommend you dismount. Move low. Use the trees. No noise. No smell of your bike's smoke. Give them no cause to imagine they are not alone." He listened to the wind. "Remember - if you can hear them, perhaps they can hear you too."

STATUS Location: On the Hunt across Atlantis

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back