• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
When asked of what news that the three have, they trade a troubled look. Finally, William looks at Gradicus and says, "War is coming, between the Coalition and the nations of the Magic Zone. Free Quebec and their army is doing their best to remain neutral, but the rest of the lands around are joining in on one side or the other. That is why there are no troops out here; they have all been pulled back to join the rest of the army to crush the Magic Zone. We have answered the call and are on our way south to do what we can against the black tide of ignorance represented by the rulers of Chi Town."

You can tell by watching them that the married couple is not in total agreement about this, but you don't know why. Sarah in her Glitter Boy armor is unreadable.

1542159343869.png

Trent Lockhart
Smuggler

Trent watched as the Glitter Boy moved closer and closer to the village. Suddenly, he saw Gradicus flying above the GB and appeared to be trying to talk to it. After a moment or two he saw the pair head off towards the village together. Not sure what exactly was going on he maintained visual as they met up with the two Cyber Knights, who appeared to be speaking to Blake's drones. This was getting to be quite confusing as no one had said a single word on coms during this whole confrontation. Trent was starting to wonder if anyone had their coms on or if they had all forgotten...

It was moments later when he heard the familiar voice of Terra in his ear asking about the status of the ship. "Everything is fine on board, we did not come under any fire..." he thought the answer was obvious and his tone might have come off a bit snarky as he was still a bit peeved that everyone who was able to 'fly off' had done so without any logical considerations. This was going to make for a very interesting mission to Atlantis, if they ever actually managed to get there...

Jumping out of the belly of Betty, Trent walked over to where captain Ramius was standing, "Captain, I know this was not part of our agreement, and I apologize, but can you pull the River Walker up to the dock so the other members of the team can return quickly so we can continue our journey? " he asked, knowing that any real delays would end up costing them more. The lack of consideration of the team and knowing they were under a verbal contract with Lord Brazamal and still decided to take on side 'adventures' was irritating. Trent wasn't use to having to wait on others, and the fact that the others were 'wasting' his time (and Lord Brazamal's) made it more annoying than anything.

"The demons are dead... everyone needs to rondevoux with the River Walker at the dock so we can continue on our way... quickly." the words were much more stern and did have a sense of urgency to them, hoping the others would come to their senses and stay focused on the assignment they were supposed to be on...

Terra places her hand over the one ear with the radio receiver on it, listening to Trent and his report. "Copy that. We will make our way over to the dock to get back on the ship. We are just talking with the others that were fighting the demons. Just give us a minute."

She looks up at the three adventurers in front of her. "That was one of our team members on the ship. Seems that we are needed back on board to complete our trip." She makes sure not to give out any details of their job for Brazamal. Raising her voice a bit to be heard, she calls out, "Gradicus! Shaona! We need to get back on the River Walker. Seems that Capt Ramius is anxious to be on the way."

Combat Attributes
Perception +1 (more when fighting Vampires)
Initiative +1 (+5 when using sword)
Strike +11 (+14 with one sword, +15 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Parry +11 (+12 with Tattoo-Magic shield) (+14 with swords)
Dodge +11
Roll +6 (Automatic Roll and Breakfall from Zanji)
Save vs. Magic +7
Horror Factor Saving Throws (+4 to save from Undead Slayer)
Horror Factor 13 (Awe. 12 from Atlantean, +1 from Heritage)
Attacks per Round: 5 (+1 attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 4 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 4 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs three attacks.
M-160 Ion Rifle - 1D6x10 M.D. Range: 2,000 feet.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.
NG-SE9 - 3D4+3 M.D. Range: 1,000 feet.
Silver-plated gladius - 2d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.
SIlver-plated knife - 1d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus +4 S.D.C.

"War" by Edwin Starr

Partial lyrics:
"War. What is it good for?"

When asked of what news that the three have, they trade a troubled look. Finally, William looks at Gradicus and says, "War is coming...."

War. It was a word Gradicus knew, but a life he had never led. That word carried great weight with him. The Atlanteans' eternal conflict against vampires. Lord Yamaguchi's seemingly endless struggle against oni and evil spirits. These were wars and wars were hell.

Gradicus listened to William's words and sighed grimly. "What else are Cyber-Knights to do in such times but try to bring about as much good as you can? May the three of you make it through together, safe and sound." Whatever Atlantis held for Elder Brazamal's group, at least it wasn't war.

She looks up at the three adventurers in front of her. "That was one of our team members on the ship. Seems that we are needed back on board to complete our trip." She makes sure not to give out any details of their job for Brazamal. Raising her voice a bit to be heard, she calls out, "Gradicus! Shaona! We need to get back on the River Walker. Seems that Capt Ramius is anxious to be on the way."

Gradicus tapped the radio on his helmet and glanced at Terra doubtfully. "Capt. Raimus or Trent?" He was certain he had heard the same impatient transmission she had. "I do not follow him. Were we in such a hurry to leave," he turned and looked at the vessel as it came in to dock, "then why bother docking?" Gradicus addressed their good-hearted company and indicated the town. He took on a tone that explained things without the barbs of insults. "Apologies. We have some in our company who found the idea of fighting demons to aid nigh-defenseless humans to be a complete waste of time." Chorís timí, he reminded himself. He gave a happy smile toward the sight of the surviving villagers. "I disagreed."

"Have a care near the waters. Bandits on boats and Titan power armors rove the sky belonging to the River Serpents; at least they did before we slew their attacking dragon. Are there any dangers in the direction we are headed? With a trio like yours, I doubt there are any demons haunting your trail!"

Atlantean by Chuck Walton.jpg
Image credit: Atlantean by Chuck Walton)
STATUS Location: In the demon-attacked village.
Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (264/264) Self-P.P.E. (125/220). Power Matrix (0/20 P.P.E. remaining). Blazing Comet (M.D.C.: 20/20. Time: 58/60 min.). Flaming Shield (Time: 60/60 min). Talisman (92/100 M.D. 1/3 daily uses remaining).

Last edited:
William offers up a friendly smile. "Thank you for the heads-up about the river bandits. We were not planning on going up that directing, but perhaps a detour is in order? We might take us some time in getting a ship to go hunting them, but we are not in any hurry." When asked about what lies up ahead, he scratches at his stubble on his chin. "We did not come down by the waterways, but I do know that you are going to be sailing into waters controlled by the navy of Free Quebec, so you shouldn't have any trouble from the Coalition or other pirates on the rivers and lakes."

Sarah nods in agreement with the Cyber Knight. "Yeah. They are pretty hard on pirates that they come across, doing their best to keep the waterways safe. So long as the Splurgoth are not making any waves, it should be smooth travels for you. Speaking of travels, where are you heading out for?"

Combat Attributes
Strike +11 (+14 with one sword, +15 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7
Attacks per Round: 5 (+1 attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 4 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 4 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures)
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs three attacks.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.

"The Damp Barachan Nights" by Composer Knut Avenstroup Haugen for the Age of Conan Original Video Game Soundtrack

"Would I at liberty to speak of it, I would indeed share our destination with you. Alas, I am honorbound." Gradicus emphasized this last word with a serious expression and tone of heartfelt resolve. No one, not the Coalition States, nor demons, nor even the Splugorth could wrest that information from him. Though if he could share it, he would among fellow demon-slayers and heroes such as these. Honor and integrity dictated otherwise and from this, the Atlantean could not be moved (not that the present company was attempting to sway him).

He turned to Shaona, Terra, Kimberly, and Blake's drones. He wanted to be mindful of their wishes, too. "Have you anything to ask of these heroes before we cast off?"

Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (264/264) Self-P.P.E. (125/220). Power Matrix (0/20 P.P.E. remaining). Blazing Comet (M.D.C.: 20/20. Time: 58/60 min.). Flaming Shield (Time: 60/60 min). Talisman (92/100 M.D. 1/3 daily uses remaining).

Terra shakes her head. "Nothing that comes to mind. I just want to wish safe travels to the three of you. Its a shame that we don't have you with us on our trip, but we are going a different direction than you, and I think that you will do more good where you are going. Sounds like it is time for us to move on."

She looks over at Shaona and Gradicus. "Is there anything else we need here? If not, we should get back to the River Walker."

Shaona, TW

"Agreed, we better leave - don't lose yourself when the war begins. And good luck out there." The last words are directed at the three, not the worst parting words she's ever spoken. "Better prepare for a rant, y'all, be it from Trent or from the captain. Anyone here able to carry me over back to the ship? Not that I couldn't do it myself, but I'd rather refuel the batteries of this thing instead." The technowizard's hand knocks on a metal part of her armor, its magical reserves almost depleted.

Combat Attributes
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7

Damage by Weapon Type

"The Damp Barachan Nights" by Composer Knut Avenstroup Haugen for the Age of Conan Original Video Game Soundtrack

Gradicus adjusted his shield arm and the rail gun. He beckoned to Shaona; if they were careful, he could carry the green-haired techno-wizard back to the River Walker. "Allow me?" he offered his shield-arm to her.

The young Atlantean smiled gratefully to Sarah and the Cyber-Knights. "Fare you well! May you live to grow old with many grandchildren to follow in your brave and noble path! This world could certainly use more like you!"

With that, he waited for the others and stayed with them back to the River Walker. He glanced at each of the ladies with him. Terra, Kimberly, and Shaona were each beautiful and interesting in their own ways. Gradicus beamed a smile toward the sky. How things had changed for the better since he survived Atlantis!

Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (264/264) Self-P.P.E. (125/220). Power Matrix (0/20 P.P.E. remaining). Blazing Comet (M.D.C.: 20/20. Time: 55/60 min.). Flaming Shield (Time: 57/60 min). Talisman (92/100 M.D. 1/3 daily uses remaining).

Blake, Cyborg

"farewell and safe travels to you, i hope that your journey be a prosperous and safe one to you." i say to the cyber knights and glitterboy before i send my drones ahead to continue checking the canal for any further interruptions or obstacles.

As everyone makes the short flight back to the ship, you leave the Cyber Knights and the Glitter Boy suit in the town as they begin to help the locals with the clean up. Marko comes down from the pilot house to talk to the returning adventurers.

"Is everyone ok? Everyone back aboard? What happened over there?"

While this conversation is going on, Blake is sending his drones ahead to check four any trouble. You quickly see that the narrow canal is clear of any threats, giving the ship a easy run to the next one of the Great Lakes.

Terra does her best to reassure Capt Ramius that all is fine. "We ran into a trio of Brodkil demons that were running amok. We killed them, then we met a pair of Cyber Knights and a Glitter Boy that were putting some hurry on another bunch of the bad guys. They gave is some info about the territory ahead of us, saying that the Free Quebec navy does a good job in keeping bandits under control, so we shouldn't have too much trouble as we travel towards the ocean."

She then goes over to Gradicus. In their native Greek, she says, "I owe you an apology. You were right to go and stop the demons. If we had just gone past, I would have been beating myself up for not stopping and doing what we did. But in my defense, we do have a timetable that we have to stick to. If we get to our destination and the four are not there, we will have a very pissed of dragon to answer to."

Shaona, technowizard

Once more, it's just a short flight - this time, however, it's not on a piece of scrap. As the Atlantean sets her down, Shaona drops a courtsey - or rather, her own, ironic impression of one that makes quite clear how little she thinks about these kind of gestures. Her lips flash a smile, though, as she drops her own load of weaponry on the deck, ready for the taking. "Thanks for the ride, Gradicus. Good fighting, over there." There might have been more she'd wanted to add, but Terra seeks the slayer's attention - and thinking about the previous debate and given the fact that she talks in an unknown language, it's probably better to let them talk in private, for now. "And good shooting, Terra" is all she says before she goes to answer to the captain.

"What she said. None of us got wounded, so that's a plus. Couldn't save all of 'em, but you rarely can. Gave it a try, at least." A quick glance shows that the badger's weaponry still points towards the village - seems like that'd be the cause of the fleeing demon's death, hard to tell during the fighting. Perhaps, there is some common ground to be found, after all; the captain's welcome was better than expected, at least, given that the Glitter Boy could have buried his ship in the waters while most of the defenders were gone.

Her legs carry her to another place, though - back to the cyborg, where this mess began. "Good work with the drones, Blake. Might have passed them without your scouting, and they seriously needed a helping hand. Good shooting as well, on top of that." For a moment, she simply stays silent, trying to get a look at the screens. "Anything out there to worry about? Could use a break, at least for a while." Another moment of silence. "Any news from Eric and Trent? Certainly got some talking to do, there."

Last edited:

Combat Attributes
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7

Damage by Weapon Type

She then goes over to Gradicus. In their native Greek, she says, "I owe you an apology. You were right to go and stop the demons. If we had just gone past, I would have been beating myself up for not stopping and doing what we did. But in my defense, we do have a timetable that we have to stick to. If we get to our destination and the four are not there, we will have a very pissed of dragon to answer to."

Gradicus placed his hand upon his fellow Atlantean's shoulder and grinned. This was not Terra the Adventuress speaking to him, but Terra the Atlantean of Clan Draco Amicus!

In Greek, he replied tenderly and pointed back to the village. "Only 'beating yourself up?' Tell me truly, Terra. Watch those fathers, mothers, and children weep and suffer as they bury their dear ones and tell me with your heart if you would not wish for the very power to turn back time. If only we could have known sooner, perhaps more of them would still be drawing breath." He looked her in the eye and added. "At least the demons did not win."

"I say it again - if Elder Brazamal did not wish for us to help the defenseless against demons, he should have never invited a True Atlantean Undead Slayer upon this quest. And besides," he opened his hands as if in treaty, "the four we are after are hid in the Atlantis mountains outside the cities. If immediacy were indeed the case, why would we be spending hours sailing instead of dimensionally-traveling with fervor?"

"Nay, we do not have much time, I think. But we always have enough time to remain and enjoy who and what we are. And I choose to be a True Atlantean forever." He smiled warmly to her. He did not mean to heap guilt upon her, but instead to share the Atlantean love and goodness he was raised with. She had told him of her upbringing and it was not like his at all. He hoped one day he might take her to the Goroth Dimension where his clan lived and thrived. She might then see what it was like to live and breathe as their ancestors once did.

Still, Terra's path was her own, but so was Gradicus's. He chose to respect her ways.

* * *​

Her lips flash a smile, though, as she drops her own load of weaponry on the deck, ready for the taking. "Thanks for the ride, Gradicus. Good fighting, over there."

"And you, green-hair." He grinned and examined her hair for what must have been the thirtieth time. How did she do that? Was it natural? Was it painted? Atlanteans had their own methods of self-expression passed down millenia after millenia, but humans? Gradicus knew he had a lot to learn - about Shaona, about Foss, and about Trent.

"You did not shirk from the demons as you did the dragon. Perhaps there is a demon-hunter lurking in you?" he half-joked. Shaona was all right under fire.

Gradicus turned to Captain Raimus. "I speak only for myself, but I am ready to face the water once again!"

With that, he met up with Blake. Briefly, he wondered what it was like to be a cyborg. Atlanteans did not partake in cybernetics unless it was truly a last resort, for magic and cybertechnology in their truest forms, hardly ever mixed well. But perhaps Blake had lost parts of his body and, metal or meat, decided to have them back once again? Who knew? Blake, as far as Gradicus knew, was a human with mechanical parts - and a cordial one at that.

He carefully laid the rail gun he had fetched from the Brodkil at Blake's feet. "Perhaps you or your drones can make use of this, Blake?" Gradicus could not imagine anyone else wanting the oversized, heavy machine-gun except perhaps Eric Foss, and unlike Blake, Gradicus felt Foss had not earned the right to it. There was no insult or strong feelings in his decision; it was simply how he felt and no more.

Gradicus cast his eyes back at the village and hoped they would somehow fare better now that those willing to defend them were on their way to realms beyond.

Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (264/264) Self-P.P.E. (125/220). Power Matrix (0/20 P.P.E. remaining). Blazing Comet (M.D.C.: 20/20. Time: 55/60 min.). Flaming Shield (Time: 57/60 min). Talisman (92/100 M.D. 1/3 daily uses remaining).

With positive reports from those that went ashore, Ramius turns to get word from Blake and his drones. With the all clear, Ramius gives the order for the River Walker to continue through the canal and onto the next lake. He tells his passengers, "We will be heading into territory controlled by Free Quebec. We should not have any trouble from them, but it is possible that we do run into one of their patrol boats. If we do, don't start a fight with them. Their ships are more than a match for us. Am I absolutely clear on that?"

During the next few hours, your ship moves through the quiet waters of Lake Ontario. Off in the distance, those on deck can see a trio of large, pre-rift U.S. Navy destroyers slowly patrolling the lake. One of the ships maneuvers to be a few hundred yards away, and you can see that the River Walker is being closely looked over by several men with large binoculars.

After what seems to be a very long time being scrutinized by the destroyer, the large ship lets you pull away without being stopped or harassed in any way. In the pilot house, Ramius can be seen waving at the other ship as the River Walker continues on her path towards the ocean.

Terra watches the three ships as they go by, hoping that they will have no issues with them. The River Walker may be quick, but she can't outrun a cannon shell, and those destroyers have some pretty big guns on them.

Once they are past the warships, she allows herself to relax a bit. I will feel so much more confident on dry land, where I can use Baby and Junior the way I was trained to, especially now that the bond between me and Junior is complete. Terra walks across the deck to where her Automatons are secured, and she gives the magic mecha a once over, admiring the craftsmanship that had gone into their construction. It takes much more magic than she will ever be able to wield to bring them together and link them to an operator. Truly amazing.

Giving Baby an affectionate pat on the leg, she sits down to examine the weapon she snagged from the fallen demon.

Blake, Cyborg

I look over my shoulder when shoana enters the trailer then return my gaze to the monitors "so far there is nothing it appears that the nation of Free Quebec does a pretty good job of keeping its water ways clear, and of that i am glad that means that i can return my drones to the ship and perform what ever maintenance possible to keep them in tip top shape and ready for whatever may come next." i say to the techno wizard

i nod to Gradicus as he enters the shop and lays the rail gun down on the floor "thank you i will make sure to that it does not go to waist, and please dont be shy if you need any of your equipment maintained" i look at both the techno wizard and the atlantean, "either of you, my shop is always open to you"

i then send a signal for the drones to return to the ship so that i can maintenance them and add to their ammo supplies, after confirming that they are on their way back i go about salvaging the ammo from the rail gun and checking to see if it is usable for my own guns. as well as checking to see if the gun itself can possibly be modified to be made into a turret for the badger or my trailer or truck.

Shaona, technowizard

The battleships on the horizon, watching as the River Walker continues its journey - for once, the encounter with someone else does not end in a bloodshed. Shaona is not the kind to complain about that - instead, she takes the opportunity to eye the destroyers from the distance; they look imposing enough as they glide through the water, no need to see them fire their weaponry. With one hand at the railing, she allows her eyes to wander further, first backwards to where they began their trip - with the upcoming war, memories return at any given opportunity. Her armor, her knife, almost everything else - joint efforts with others, many of them still out there, likely to fight for their beliefs. Such are the laws of science - few things can be accomplished on your own, and thus many work together where one would fail. Reminds her of life in general - it's the same with this group here, really. Some already embraced that - Blake for example; the cyborg seems always ready to help. Others will get there in due time, as soon as the common goal is within reach. Shaona's head turns towards the bow, staring at the horizon. Somewhere there, the Splurgoth wait - somehow, Gradicus' words come into mind. Good thing they're demons, not dragons.

A moment later, she turns away - she's probably wasted enough time with pointless thoughts already. There are things to do, after all. Her eyes search the deck for one particular person, and it does not take long to find her. Close to her war maschines, perhaps as to be expected; she knows little about the ways of a controller. At least, she does not seem too busy - eyeing her loot from the previous fight. Slowly, the wizard strolls towards Terra, getting a better look at the automatons; impressive work, that much is clear, both of them clearly masterpieces. "Got a moment or two?" She sits down on the deck, cross-legged, before even waiting for a response. She asked for this earlier, after all. "Meant to talk to you, and things are quiet for the moment. No dragons - no villages." A simple word produces a small flame in her hand, it takes more concentration than one might expect. No focus used, after all. "You know, magic. You asked to share a few tricks, earlier. Thought this would be a good time for that."

Combat Attributes
Dodge +11
Save vs. Magic +7

Damage by Weapon Type

"Silent Lucidity" by Queensryche (meditation music for Gradicus)

Gradicus watched the Free Quebec naval vessels perform their work. The True Atlantean stood on the bow of the River Walker, his arms crossed and his long black hair waving in the wind. He found himself admiring Free Quebec's military company while presenting himself freely to the binoculars of whatever sailors were watching them. He wondered how the River Serpent and his cronies would have stood against the might of these ships instead of the River Walker.

i look at both the techno wizard and the atlantean, "either of you, my shop is always open to you"

"Gratitude," Gradicus nodded to Blake. "For where would the warrior be without the weaponsmith?" He looked down at his newly-earned TW Force Cannon. "Perhaps you could see what cleaning and general maintenance this new magical weapon requires? Demons, after all, are not known for their care." If Blake agreed, Gradicus placed the triple-barrelled monster wherever Blake directed. Sure, the magical cannon was a techno-wizard device, but it was still required basic care to see that it worked well. If Blake did not feel comfortable cleaning it, Gradicus could do it. Blake, he felt, was still the better choice, magic weapon or no.

Once this situation was addressed, the young gladiator realized his own potential psychic energy was roughly half of its maximum. And so when time and opportunity, he placed himself in some place on deck where he was easily reachable and where the high sun could easily reach him. Mega-damage skin or no, Gradicus enjoyed having a good tan.

STATUS Location: On the River Walker in The Great Lakes
Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (264/264) Self-P.P.E. (125/220). Power Matrix (0/20 P.P.E. remaining). Talisman (---/100 M.D. 1/3 daily uses remaining).

Terra smiles at the Techno Wizard. "That sounds like a good idea." She finds a out of the way place to settle down and take a seat, crossing her legs under her as she sits. "Most of my magic is combat oriented, since I am Combat Magus Controller. We don't worry about much more than finding ways to use our magic to either harm our enemies and protect ourselves in the process."

Blake, cyborg

I nod at Gradicus when he asks me to clean the magic gun "ill see what i can do im not that good with magic items but ill definitely give it a shot" i then look at the monster of a gun and point to the work table next to the monitor "you can set it down there and ill get to work on it after i work on my drones" i then continue working on the railgun emptying the ammo and seeing if it is capable of being modified into a turret.

1542675465331.png

Trent Lockhart
Smuggler

Once more Trent noticed that no one bothered to listen as one by one the different members of the 'team' flew back to the boat, which had only been at most 50ft from the dock. He threw off his headset in frustration, "How the hell does Brazamal expect me to work with these people!?!" he shouted out loud to himself. They seemingly had the attention span of a squirrel and no sense of leadership. There must have been SOME reason that Brazamal picked this bunch but it was hard to understand at this point in time. Picking up the bottle of whisky, he pulled the stopper with his teeth and spat it into the small sink as he angrily tipped it back as the slow burn trickled down his throat. Trent slumped into his favorite chair and started questioning his own position on the team. Maybe he was the one out of place? The fact that all of them had gone... except for the tin can, but even he had drones in the air. They were too quick to act in a situation that could have gone the complete opposite direction and that is what upset him the most. Once they arrive in Atlantis, it is going to be a much different story. From the tales he had heard, the 'hunters' set gruesome traps for their 'pray' and if this group charges into every situation, they are bound to step right into one of those traps... The thought sickened him, as if he were responsible for the group and anything that happened to them was on him. Was it though? All he had done is secure transportation to and from Atlantis, so was it really his job to keep everyone alive? There was no way... especially Gradicus. That hot-headed kid was going to get himself into trouble one of these times and no mechanical bird tattoo was going to save him...

Standing, he set the whiskey bottle down and picked up his HUD shades that were lying against the windshield. Sticking them in his pocket he turned and opened the hatch on Betty's side as he exited. Looking on deck he could see the lot returning with some heavy weaponry and grins to boot. Walking over, Trent retrieved his coat that had fallen from Kimberly's shoulders as she left the boat. Brushing off the light snow that had accumulated on it, he swung it around and placed his arms back into the sleeves. The executive trench coat was heavy enough to provide a warming feeling almost immediately. Everyone seemed preoccupied so Trent turned and found himself at the railing of the River Walker next to the massive from tire of Betty...

Kimberly Finn

Kimberly watches the Free Quebec ship sail by, or at least seems to. It's close enough for her to perceive at least.

The longer she spends on the water, the more disoriented she gets. The Mystic Knight remembers her 'father' telling her stories of sailing, mostly myths and legends, and how the ocean stretches into the horizon so that one end looks much like another. But the sailors at least had the stars and moon at night to guide them, and the sun to determine east from west. In some respects, she's able to determine those directions from the warmth of sunlight alone but otherwise the ship sails through an endless void of nothing. With a quarter of a mile perceptual range, she's long since past the point of having any idea of how to return to where she came from. Kimberly's fate is entirely in the hands of this crew and these fellow warriors. Her training has prepared her for this moment but it's an aspect of this journey she'd never previously considered.

Without looking, she can hear the wizards trading spells, hear the cyborg and the Atlantean converse. And nearby, Kimberly knows Trent leans against the railing. The pitch of his exhalations, the shape of his back speak to frustration. Not surprising, given his recommendations earlier and how unilaterally they were ignored. Seeing him clad once more in his coat, Kimberly shifts away from her spot to join him.

"Thank you again for the coat," she says softly. "And for these accommodations. Most of us seem to be warriors. While such skills are a necessity in this world, and especially on this mission, they are not all-encompassing skills." With a diplomatic 'look' at Trent, Kimberly leans against the same rail he chose. "Yours may prove to be the most difficult role on this mission. You have valuable experience yet that experience has led you to an observation, a solution that the majority dismiss. I'm told it's not uncommon for colleagues to disagree. This is the first time I've ever worked with those outside of the Mystic Knights so I can only repeat that shared wisdom. What I want you to know is that I would listen to any advice you have to offer. I must follow the Code I've sworn to, Trent, but I would not do so blindly. Your warnings and caution may save us great pain...or at least prepare us for it. I hope we can count on you to share those warnings and cautions. Just as I hope you know you can count on us, on myself, once we reach Atlantis."

iXZGT62.jpg

Status
Active Effects: None
MDC:

Head/Helmet: 60
Arms: 42 each
Legs: 66 each
Main Body: 100
PPE: / 112
ISP: / 140

Shaona, technowizard

"Sounds like the spectrum we'll need in Atlantis - got a few of those to share. Protection, mostly - gotta make sure that you don't die from an electric shock during your work, for example. A bit of cloaking, a bit of utility; always tried to catch a bit of everything, makes you les predictable. Also, you learn a ton of things by accident that way." Some mages focus on war alone; few try to make a lasting impact, and technowizards are among those. At least Shaona herself - there are others she's worked with who thought more in lines with the controller next to her. "From those that don't kill people or shield yourself - anything useful you'd want to share?"

During the next several days, the River Walker makes her way through the Lakes until you are now in the open ocean. Life onboard settles into a quiet routine as everyone is preparing for the next stop at the shores of Atlantis. Thanks to Blake's work on the engines, the River Walker is making excellent time, and Capt. Ramius expects that you will arrive almost fifteen full hours before he had originally planned.

As you travel, you can tell that the crew is getting more and more on edge the closer you get to your destination. Not really surprising, considering where you are going.

It is in the middle of the night with you dozing fitfully when you are awakened by the sensation of the ship's engines begin to throttle back. Soon after that, those that are deeper sleepers are visited by a member of the crew, telling you that you are less than an hour out from your landing point, and you should make whatever prep work that you need to before arriving.

At about two a.m., Ramius slows the ship down even more, and as you look out towards the bow, you can see a dark mass in the starlight that is Atlantis. The small cargo ship eases forward until the bow is nearly at the shore before you can feel the lurch of the ship running aground and the ramp on the nose drops to release you onto the beach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back