• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Terra nods. "I understand, Lord Brazamal. I already am getting more than I could hope for, so I can't complain. Thank you anyways." Ah, well. I'll just have to make do.

Shaona, Technowizard

As Blake mentions his mechanical skills, the technowizard raises her hand. "I'd say the same about myself, though I take a slightly different approach than most. Counting whatever you all might have picked up as well, technical issues shouldn't be a problem."

The conversation quickly turns towards exorbitant amounts of credits and the first few requests by her soon-to-be allies. Shaona herself takes her time to ponder the options; after all, enough money can open quite a few doors that usually stay locked. However, there is nothing that really comes into mind, and thus she slowly shakes her head. "No special requests from me, I think. My equipment might not be as fancy as some of yours" - her eyes unconciously muster the knight's armor - "but it'll do the trick just fine. I'd appreciate it if parts of the money would come in form of gems, though - the more of them I have to work with, the more likely it is that I can do something specific."

Another pause as she grabs her drinking glass and takes a thoughtful sip. "Speaking of my craft - I'll likely spend the remaining time here in the library if there's nothing else to do - the more I know, the better. If some of you feel like sharing a few magical trickeries or doing a bit of sparring to get into shape, I'd be up for that."

Kimberly Finn

Silanon Silanon
Kimberly nods as she considers the points made by the...adventurer or whatever the woman was. The armor she wore is like nothing the Altarain had ever detected, at least based on its rough shape. "Yes, there are risks," she agrees. "Together, we stand a fair chance of meeting those risks if we're careful. If you wish to make plans for the possibility of capture, by all means. I, for one, will perish in battle if needs must. But much better to focus instead on achieving the goal rather than what might go wrong."

Dano Dano
At Trent's observation, and implicit offer, Kimberly smiles faintly. "From what I can tell of those at this table, subtlety may be in short supply. Someone familiar with it is just what we need. I'm pleased Lord Brazamal thought to include you."

Dannigan Dannigan
The sudden movement of the tall Atlantean isn't unexpected. The Mystic Knight turns her head in his direction before replacing the pince nez mirrorshades atop her nose. "No. The Knights of the White Rose are mostly human. My mother and I were the only ones of our kind among them. Now, it's just me."

DraconianWarrior DraconianWarrior
The cyborg's cautious plan drew a slight frown from the Knight and she shook her head once. "By all means, make what plans you will for yourselves. For my part, no rescue will be needed of me, for I will not allow myself to be taken alive. And should any of you be captured, I will do my best to free you or die in the attempt. I live by a Code and what I've said is my bond. Do as you will."

Sherwood Sherwood
Lord Brazamal's offer is a generous one indeed. Kimberly considers the dragon's offer and then listens as the others at the table begin to plan how to spend their money. "I need nothing material but what I bring with me," she says at last. "That said, I'm cautious about us using a Shifter to reach Atlantis. For several reasons. We have no sure way back. Even if the Shifter is willing to open a rift for a return, we'll have no way to contact him which means we'll have to schedule a pickup...and that runs the risk of us missing it if it's too soon, or having to hole up and avoid detection if it's too far off. To say nothing of the risk of ending up in another dimension or off-course entirely."

"A better plan is to locate one of the Slaver vessels used by Atlantis. The North American coastline is routinely subject to their visits. If we find one, we may save people from slavery, end a threat, and procure transportation across the ocean all at once. A single barge should be large enough to accommodate all of us, and even what vehicles we choose to bring, for its cargo hold is designed to haul quantities of species of all sizes."

"Our timing will have to be excellent, however. The ship cannot be piloted without the slaver inside. If we have the means among us to magically or psionically compel its behavior, we could order it to take us back to Atlantis. Failing that, killing it will activate a return protocol. The barges are set to return to Atlantis automatically upon death of the pilot. Full control of the craft will likely be impossible without one of us being a slaver, but if we can take its Eye Staff and if a volunteer is willing to bond with it, we should be able to exert limited command influence over the ship's operations. Enough to load all of us and whatever we wish to bring. We may even have enough control to land the ship where we wish in Atlantis and then use it to return to North America when we're done."

"Or is there another plan someone wishes to propose?

iXZGT62.jpg

STATUS Location: Lord Brazamal's manor, dining room
Active Effects: None

Terra nods. "I think that hiring a Shifter to join our ranks would be better; we wouldn't have to worry about keeping control of a Slaver as we cross the Demon Sea. Besides, we have several large vehicles that wouldn't be able to be carried that way. It would take a large transport, either a flying one or a ocean-going vessel, to get them there. Using that transportation fund to bring someone capable of speeding things along and bypassing hundreds of miles of rough terrain makes better sense to me."

Blake
Cyborg
i nod when terra mentions hiring a shifter to join us "yes i must agree that does seem like a good option, after all, I don't know of many kinds of transport that could carry my equipment, plus this would also give us a quick escape route if something goes wrong, and it would allow us to return as soon as we find the newly freed slaves"

Time passes, and soon the dinner party will be coming to an end. Lord Brazamal makes sure that all of you have each other's contact information so you can communicate between each other and make plans, and for those looking to get the special Altarian armor talisman will have to come back tomorrow afternoon and pick them up from Olsen. During this time, the elder dragon will be spending his time preparing to link Terra with her second Automation, a ritual spell that will take a few hours to finally cast.

Depending on your method of transport, Trent can get in touch with a few people that he's dealt with before and begin the negotiations for either a boat or a spellcaster that can open a transport Rift to get you there (and hopefully back) in one piece.

Blake
Cyborg​
Since the dinner party seems to have come to an end i walk over to Olsen "My Dear Olsen I was wondering if you have any Psionic ability, and if so I was wondering if you could possibly teach me a thing or to so that i may increase my knowledge and ability of the Psionic arts"

Olsen nods. "I am fortunate enough to know a few mental powers, but I hazard a guess that there will not be enough time to do more than the most basic of instruction for you before you need to leave. I can start you on the path, though."

Blake
Cyborg​
I nod "thank you dear Olsen i appreiciate you doing this for my, and the basics are all im really hopeing to learn, and if at all possible could you teach me methods of training on my own so i may train in my spare time?"

Shaona, technowizard

The end of the dinner seems to herald the end of today's discussions - while the exact way of travel is about as open as before, the rescue attempt itself is not in question. "Trent - I'd say see if you can find us a shifter who's actually capable of getting us back as well - even if things don't work out as intended. I don't mind hijacking a vessel, but the sea's rough there from what I've heard. Gotta at least consider the other options before we jump in blindly."

The prospect of shared knowledge certainly catches Shaona's attention as well - as Blake approaches the elder man, the technowizard is quick to join both of them in their discussion. "I've got my own share of experiences, so I'd be happy to spend some time later as well, Blake. Maybe once we hit the road - never hurts to get another perspective." She turns her head towards Olsen himself. "Time's limited, unfortunately, but if there's a magical trick or two you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be happy to listen as well. You never know when that little bit of knowledge might safe the day."

She looks around, eyeing the books. "Apart from that: You think Brazamal would mind if I stayed the night instead of returning tomorrow? I've got my own little collection of books, but it's nothing about Atlantis and the like - also, it's probably still snowing."

Terra slides over to be next to Shaona and Olsen, and nods in agreement. "I have a limited spell library, but what I have I'm willing to share. Shaona, perhaps as we travel, we can exchange spell knowledge?"

Olsen chuckles. "I am sure that Brazamal won't object to a guest for overnight, or, perhaps the three of you, so I can begin to show you a good healing spell that may come in handy for your journey. Depending on the time, I may have something else for you to learn. Just make sure you stay in the west wing. We have sentries on duty throughout the manor and I wouldn't want you to be injured by accident."

At this point, both Terra and Shaona can add the level 5 spell of Heal Wounds to your spell list, and Blake can begin the process of disciplining his mind to be able to learn one or two new powers once you level up.

Brazamal makes sure to wish all of you a good evening, and once more thanks you all for accepting the job. He then retires to his personal rooms for the night.

Trent Lockhart
Smuggler

Standing in the back corner of the room, Trent watches and listens to all that has transpired. If he had been any lesser of a man he would have taken the 10 million travel credits and ghosted the party. But Lord Brazamal was a respectable and connected individual, it would be hard to 'hide' from him to say the least. Having Brazamal as a friend was more beneficial to staying alive than as an enemy. While some of those in the room wanted to hire a Shifter to provide a magical trip to Atlantis, Trent had other ideas.

Magic scared him, not the existence of magic, but what it could do to someone. He had seen a lot of things in his days as a smuggler. Once he had been haggling for a new weapon when out of the corner of his eye he saw some dancing lights as it quickly turned into a fierce ray of frost as the human that had been in a confrontation with the wizard was frozen solid. One of the wizard's associates used his massive hammer to shatter the human. Another time, while waiting in a bar for his contact to show, he witnessed a drunken mage turn one of the female servers into a dog when she refused to bring him another drink. Magic was far too dangerous for his liking. Besides, a nice calm cruise would be just what he and Foss needed after their last job.

He walked over to where Brazamal was standing and slipped him a piece of paper with a list of items that he would require on such a mission:

1) Robot tarp to cover the badger
2) HUD glasses (with built in coms)
3) Robot floating camera
4) Sleep Safe "Sensor Sentry"
5) Light Executive MDC Business Suit Coat (grey)
6) Executive MDC Slacks (grey)
7) Armored Executive MDC trench coat

"I will require the items on this list in order to acquire what you need sir..." Trent whispered in Brazamal's ear, not fully trusting the lot mulling about behind him in the room...yet. "...I will be in touch with my contacts this evening and have transportation secured to Atlantis by dawn...". With that, he turns and heads towards the door, subtly motions for Foss and walks out the front door, heading to the Badger. Climbing into the massive machine, Trent starts the powerful engine and picks up his phone, "Charlie... yeah... I'm looking for something big..." after a minute of silence and head nodding, "... let's meet up at the normal place in about an hour... yeah... see you then." After hanging up the phone he punched a few buttons into the nav system and clicked his belt into place ready to go...

Brazamal takes a quick look at the list given to him by Trent, then folds the paper up and hands it over to Olsen. "Of course. Olsen will take care of everything for you, and have your goods ready by this time tomorrow."

When Trent motions to the door, Eric nods and falls into step behind him. Once outside, he finally lets out a low whistle. "Man oh man! That is one hell of a chunk of change that the old guy is ready to dish out! Twenty mil for all of us, plus the travel fund? Damn! He must really want those four out in one piece. Now, you know that I've always got your back, but are you absolutely sure we want to take on this job? Back in the day, I heard some stuff about the critters on that island, and none of it was good. Dragons, monsters, and demons? Not something I want to run into."

At the appointed time, Trent and Eric pull up in the Badger to the previously arranged meeting spot. Charlie can be seen standing under a streetlight, cigar clenched in his teeth, with two of his assistants shifting about in the dark. Charlie motions for his buddies to hang back, and he walks out to meet you.

"Trent! Eric! The two of you are looking good." He spends a few minutes in polite conversation, until finally at some unspoken signal, it was time to talk business. "So, you called me and said that you are looking for something big. How big? Do you need to have some firepower on it, or are you making other arrangements for that?"

Trent Lockhart
Smuggler

As the Badger roars down the darkened streets Trent pulls up to where Charlie was lurking, the glow of the cigar like a tracer dot from a distant sniper. Hopping out of the metal beast he approaches cautiously as Charlie's 'friends' sink back into the shadows. Charlie was far from a friend, but he liked money... almost as much as he did. The small talk went on for a minute or two, just to get the formalities out of the way. When Charlie asked about their needs Trent replied simply, "What we need is a large, non-identifiable, cargo vessel that can make the journey to..." he almost did not want to say it out loud, but he knew if he didn't provide Charlie with all of the details then they wouldn't get exactly what they needed, "... Atlantis..." Trent waited for Charlie to pick his jaw up off the ground before he continued, "...This will not be a purchase, more of a 'rental'. The vessel will come back in one piece, but we should have some defenses in the event we encounter some 'friends' at sea..." Pausing for a moment he looked at Charlie, trying to gauge his reaction. Atlantis was not for the faint of heart, and honestly, Trent wasn't excited about going because of the risk. The payout potential was huge, but staying alive was worth more than all of the credits Lord Brazamal could throw at him.
"We need it tomorrow... I know you have more contacts, so finding what we need isn't going to be an issue... it's ensuring that the crew is only what is necessary and that we can be assured they would remain silent about the entire endeavor..." Now came the fun part, the price, "... How much am I looking at for this one?" Not wanting to give up how much they had to cover travel, he knew that Charlie would throw out a decent price, but there was always room for negotiations...

Blake
Cyborg​
I look over at Olsen "while I appreciate the offer I would prefer to stay in the comforts of my vehicle, however, would it be all right if I were to park it on the property somewhere? I'm still not very familiar with the grounds and would appreciate it if you could show me where I may park my vehicle" I ask Olsen

Shaona, technowizard

Another opportunity presents itself as soon as Shaona talks to Olsen - turns out that the second Atlantean, Terra, knows a bit of the arcane as well. "Sure thing - might be able to show you a few useful tricks, and I'm always intereseted to see more. Pretty sure things work out differently for us, but the basic concepts and spells should be the same. Also, there should be plenty of time for us once we hit the road." There will be other things to do as well - after all, she just ordered an amulet to take a closer look at as well as the gem for the next pending project - but there's always enough time during travels.

For now, though, the library is available, and Olsen himself does not mind sharing, either. "Thanks, Olsen - since curing wounds is not quite my expertise, that'd certainly be a good start. And don't worry - as long as the coffee maker is nearby, I won't need to wander through the building too much."

Charlie pulls out a datapad and begins to tap the screen as you talk. "Hmmm. Atlantis, huh? That is quite an ambitious request. Let me see . . . Give me some numbers. How much cargo are we looking at? Something big enough to take that Badger? Ok, that narrows down the choices a bit, and so does the rush order. Lets see, I have a couple of options for you. The first is a light cargo hauler that usually works the Great Lakes called the River Walker, but the ship is large enough to handle the rougher waters of the Atlantic. It is currently up in Lake Superior, but it won't take long for them to come south, once I get the word out to them.

"The second is the Seabird, and is actually down in Florida right now, but by the time you get to a port deep enough for it, it will be able to move up the coast and pick you up. Just depends on which way you want to go. Now, when you crunch the numbers, River Walker will be faster, since it is just a relatively short trip through the Great Lakes, but that means her captain will probably want to charge you more. The Seabird will be cheaper, but you'll have to go overland to the coast. Up to you. Which route do you want to go with?"

Trent Lockhart
Smuggler
Thinking to himself, Trent weighs the options. He needed more information and needed to provide Charlie with more information before he could really make a decision. "We will have more than just the Badger..." he said with a slight hesitation in his voice, knowing that it might delay when the group would be able to proceed with their mission. "...We have a ‘good-sized’ truck with a trailer hauling two automations, a pair of hover bikes and several drones..." It wasn't a huge list of equipment, but the ship had to be large enough where they could conceal themselves within the vessel if the need arose. “The ship will need to be fast, be undetectable by radar, excessive in size that will accommodate the team, the equipment, any ‘additional resources’ and provide a smooth ‘ride’ to Atlantis.”

Looking at Charlie, Trent was a bit worried that the additional requests might push back the groups tight timeline. If he unable to deliver on his promise to Lord Brazamal, his participation of the team might be revoked. Trent had only not delivered on one occasion in his career (which resulted in being beaten to an inch of his life) and he was not about to have this be number two…

Tapping his screen some more, Charlie nods to himself. "That shouldn't be a problem for either ship, but if you want speed, you are looking at the River Walker. She is an armed hydrofoil transport, and her captain has made a name for himself as a smuggler on the Lakes, able to outrun the Coalition Navy on the water. She's a good ship, and her captain, a man named Marko Ramius, he has a solid head on his shoulders. I can make the call and get him up here in the morning. Now, lets talk cost. How are you planning on paying? Trade goods, straight credits, or a combination of both?"

Trent Lockhart
Smuggler

The River Walker... Trent was leaning that way to begin with. He knew it would not be cheap, but he felt he could bargain his teams way onto the massive ship. The only hesitation that he had was with the captain. Ramius was known among the smugglers ring as an 'efficient' smuggler, and now knowing that he was the captain of such a vessel as the River Walker meant he had quite a bit of wealth to back him. Trent was hesitant, although he hid it from his face as he stroked his well groomed beard, "The River Walker and Captain Ramius will be a great asset for this particular task."

Putting two fingers to his lips he was playing scenarios out in his head, "... we do not know how long we will be in Atlantis, given its 'unstable' nature. Will Captain Ramius be willing to hold position until we return?" Trent's mind switched gears. Price was probably going to be an issue.

"... Would Captain Ramius charge us a flat rate or a daily rate for his services?" The flat rate would be the best option because he could most likely talk him down from the price that would be given, where the daily rate could be feast or faimon depending on how quickly (or not) they would be able to locate and return the slaves to the boat.

"Normally, Ramius charges per trip. Since you'll be asking him to stick around while you do . . . whatever it is that you are doing (I know better than to ask), he will probably want a daily charge. But, seeing as how you are such a good friend of mine, I can probably convince him to make an exception and just come up with a round trip charge. Depending on what you are hauling, you can also offer to provide some on ship protection in case of trouble. That will probably knock the price down a skoosh."

A few minutes go by, and finally Charlie looks up. "I can get you a round trip ticket with a one week wait time at the shore for a total of twelve million in credits or goods. Any longer of a wait will dive that price up, since he's going to be taking a risk just being in the area."

Blake, Cyborg

I walk over to Olsen "um excuse me Olsen, is there a place on the property where i may park my truck during my time here? i mean no offence but i would prefer to stay in the comforts of my vehicle" i look around the room of books "and would it be alright if i were to take a few of these books and study them in my vehicle? especially any about the technology of the place we are going to"

Olsen nods in understanding. "Of course." He gives directions on where you can pull you large rig up to, and waves with a hand towards the bookshelves. "Treat them with care, and I don't see Lord Brazamal having any complaints. In the meantime, Shaona, Terra, if you ladies would accompany me, I shall begin the lesson on the healing spell."

Gradicus the Red Edge
Atlantean Undead Slayer

@Dannigan
The sudden movement of the tall Atlantean isn't unexpected. The Mystic Knight turns her head in his direction before replacing the pince nez mirrorshades atop her nose. "No. The Knights of the White Rose are mostly human. My mother and I were the only ones of our kind among them. Now, it's just me."

Epiphany Epiphany

Gradicus continued to stare, not seeing Kimberly - not really - but someone else who resembled her from long ago with a whip in one hand and sword in the other. Still, his guard remained raised even if his hands were lowered. At word of Kimberly's mother, Gradicus spoke in a sympathetic, halting tone to Kimberly knowing quite well she could not read his facial features. Her origin displayed, he found it difficult to share words with her.

"May her lessons and your memories together bring you strength for the road ahead."

This was the first warrior woman of Altaran he had spoken thusly to; the gladiator in him had cautioned it, but the man in him ruled the warrior. This Kimberly was clearly different from her kind in Splynn. She spoke more often, appeared more open, and seemed to carry herself as a masterless woman. Gradicus could not believe that Elder Brazamal would have allowed her to be present had her heart been as diabolic as the Splugorth who so cruelly ruled so many of both their peoples. Further still, he reasoned, she could have kept this knowledge to herself but instead she chose to share it here in this .

Inside his youthful, troubled mind, long years of harsh and bloody memories battled back and forth with his loving Atlantean reasoning and upbringing. Finally, his Atlantean side proved the victor. You need not trust this Kimberly so early! It said. Instead, trust in Elder Brazamal! She is invited here by his design and for the cause of rescuing slaves!

Gradicus's blue eyes finally fluttered and he let out a deep sigh. He tried to relax. He failed. "Kimberly" he spoke with plain frustration, "my time on Atlantis has provided me strong reasons not to trust Altarans. Ally of Elder Brazamal or not, I promise you nothing save my treating of you as his guest, so as long as you remain worthy."

This was, he found, all he could offer her at this early stage in their relationship.

* * *​

Gradicus nodded respectfully and gratefully to Lord Brazamal. The busy dragon had offered them a great many things, chief of which was opportunity. "Gratitude, Elder Brazamal. You have been a fine and generous host this night, and done much for goodness and freedom. May you sleep restfully from your vast efforts."

To Olsen, he added, "Walker Olsen, I shall stay in the west wing. Should you need a hand with anything, do not fear to rouse me. I would show appreciation for this night's hospitality and unusual opportunities."

Gradicus perused the library, asking a servant for maps and any other useful information about Atlantis all the while remaining open for company should the others from the group approach (he could not yet call it a team). The tattooed Atlantean also watched and listened to the others, especially Terra and Kimberly, and learned what he could from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back