• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
As you talk, you settle in around the campfire at the edge of the village, and the jungle around you seems to close in with the darkness. It is getting quite late, and the need for sleep is building up in most of you. Knowing that there is a large nest of vampires nearby, a set of watches is to be expected, but this time, there is no hostile forces approaching that disturb your rest.

By the time morning comes around, everyone is feeling much refreshed, with your PPE and PE restored to full once more.

Several of the ladies of the village come over with plates of food for you, moving with practiced caution around Eron as to not spook him. (Not being of Aztec origin myself, I can only guess as to what the daily staples of breakfast would be, but whatever it is, it fills the belly and helps to get you ready for the day.)

You are now faced with the question of just when and how are you going to make your attempt to clear out the pyramid?

As you talk, you settle in around the campfire at the edge of the village, and the jungle around you seems to close in with the darkness. It is getting quite late, and the need for sleep is building up in most of you. Knowing that there is a large nest of vampires nearby, a set of watches is to be expected, but this time, there is no hostile forces approaching that disturb your rest.

By the time morning comes around, everyone is feeling much refreshed, with your PPE and PE restored to full once more.

Several of the ladies of the village come over with plates of food for you, moving with practiced caution around Eron as to not spook him. (Not being of Aztec origin myself, I can only guess as to what the daily staples of breakfast would be, but whatever it is, it fills the belly and helps to get you ready for the day.)

You are now faced with the question of just when and how are you going to make your attempt to clear out the pyramid?
Guinea Pigs. They ate guinea pigs. Breakfast of champions right there.

Earlier, for nothing, even sleep, is as important as stopping him... Mirgris Mirgris

"He is a demon, Salnesh by name. A greater demon at that, the largest threat. The darkest darkness, with magic and all. To describe him is like... describing the wind. Sometimes a breeze you barely notice, sometimes a storm that can't be stopped. He shifts, changes. Could tell you everything I know, and he'd still be totally different, in the end. Only his scheming, and the evilness remain. He' s tough, real tough, doesn't matter which form, or which weapon. Was rat-like, once, special circumstances. Still couldn't cut through that skin, I tried."

He presents the sword in his hand with pride.

"This'll do better. Should do better, I hope. Can't quite tell, didn't stab him with it yet. But Sir Cooley gave it to me for that very reason, so stab him I will, or die trying, I guess. We all should. Not die, of course, and not with the same sword. Maybe think over night what could be done... If thinking is what technos do, these days. Maybe not only think, but do as well. If thinking alone could kill him, I'd be done by now. Don't worry about vamps, and the other nuisances. The former will sleep, the latter won't matter, at least not compared to him. We got an Atlantean, a Glitter boy, a dragon. It'd be easy, if not for him. Ask, too, if there's questions - anything. And sleep, all heroes do, or most of them, at least. Need less of that, these days, myself, a little less every day, or at least that's what it feels like."

The Crazy stays for potential questions, then moves towards toasts, and food, and words. Eyes a curious meal from afar, and the cat food even more suspiciously - but does his best to keep away from the hosts, and out of trouble. As the assembled spread up, one by one, he takes a seat outside of the village, his gaze lingering where the pyramid awaits in the morning. And, at one point, hours later, dozes off. For as long as he rests, his face gives away hints that do not match his demeanor. Fear, and pain, and troubled dreams. Where they don't find his attention during the day, they come at night.

Now...

Until he startles up, grabbing the sword on his knees with force. It's a new day. It's the day. Or so he hopes. He glances around, in search for possible danger, sees the cats as potential harm. Far enough away to only hold his breath. Good. Or bad. It depends. They learned. His allies should be there, too. Somewhere. Some might have plans. He has his sword. He shoulders the latter to find the former.

Snowfall peers at Eron and thinks to himself. Snowfall has visited many a country, many a continent, and no small number of dimensions. Does the name Salnesh ring any bells in that 700+ year-old noggin of his?

Salnesh is a name that Snowfall has heard before. He is a particularly insidious demon, a cause of much mischief over the years due to his ability to shapeshift. It is suspected that he is the source of many wars that have been started over the centuries, due to his ability to pit two sides against each other. Salnesh is an MDC being, and is known to have a wide spell library under his belt.

Terra frowns. This Salnesh sounds like a real bit of bad news. She looks over at Eron and says, "Well, I don't know if I can speak for everyone, but if we have the chance, I'll happily help you cut this demon down. One less troublemaker out there can't be a bad thing. Assuming you want the help, that is."

"I'd be a fool to reject any help I can get. He ist the worst - not just one troublemaker amongst many others. Those other things you talked about, and showed" - he points towards Snowfall, who provided the footage - "they should be stopped, better sooner than later. But they don't really matter, in the grand scheme. They are tools. He is the craftsman, trying to forge a world. And an ugly world that would be, I reckon. So he must be stopped. Doesn't matter how, doesn't matter who. Success is what counts. Maybe this sword here lands the final blow. Maybe yours. It makes no difference, as long as someone ends his scheming for good. Simple as that."

A shrug. "And yet not that simple. Tried it before, with other good men. Didn't end well, not at all. Can't fault anyone for not risking his life. I understand. But I also understand him, somewhat. Maybe you do, too, at least enough to fight him. Others don't. And that's alright. He's dangerous. Those who can't stand against him are better off not knowing. You all know now, even if you might not understand. Can't offer much to those who don't. All I have is a sword, and a horse, and the pouch." He grabs the latter tightly.

"And a purpose. Always good to have that. If the deed can be done, then any evil can be purged. I'd owe everyone who helped more than I'll ever have to offer. If it can't be done - well, that'd be bad. Real bad." The thought of that alone seems to let him falter. There might be greater evil in the world, but not for the man called Eron. "We have Terra Alvana, now, from Atlantis. And those three, too." He points where the Automatons found their place. "Maybe more than that, too. But I won't ask for it. Can't. I fought him - can't ask the same of anyone. It's too much of a danger. Changes people, too. Even me. Once one understands him, the world is never the same again."

"Prologue" from Big Trouble in Little China for the original motion picture soundtrack, composed by John Carpenter.

Fully rejuvenated from their rest, Snowfall felt terrific! The previous day had seen some serious accomplishments. Scouting out the corrupted temple was both satisfying and fur-raising. Snowfall had spent the morning creating detailed diagrams with his pens and notebook for the others to see. He wasn't quite done with them when Eron spoke of a great evil that at first, Snowfall just could not place if he had heard the name.

"Salnesh... Salnesh..." Snowfall, now in the human form of himself in his mid-30s, paced back and forth, his red and brown robes swishing in the grass while he absently touched his chin in thought. He racked his brain. He muttered to himself in Japanese saying things even Japanese-speakers would have a hard time understanding, but that's the way it goes when you have ancient spirits in your good graces. They'll help, but don't pay too much attention to their mumbling.

Salnesh is a name that Snowfall has heard before. He is a particularly insidious demon, a cause of much mischief over the years due to his ability to shapeshift. It is suspected that he is the source of many wars that have been started over the centuries, due to his ability to pit two sides against each other. Salnesh is an MDC being, and is known to have a wide spell library under his belt.

This continued for some time until, finally, a great exclamation burst from deep within him.

"Ohhh! Salnesh! Saaalneesh! Jeez-Louise!!" Suddenly seeming much older than his form implied, Snowfall turned to Eron and bowed at the waist. It was a display of gratitude. "Fella, you may be Crazy, but in this matter, you have proven yourself more sane than the rest of us! Hey! Miss Terra!" Snowfall turned toward his Atlantean friend with words of dire warning and a tone to match. "Eron's demon is no figment of his M.O.M.-induced imaginings! Salnesh... is real! He's a shapeshifter! Deceitful and evil with centuries of experience! He may be even older than me! He survived the Great Cataclysm too somehow. Listen - using his shapeshifting, guile, and sorcery, Salnesh has started wars between great empires back then - he will do the same now! We must be very careful!

"Salnesh is tough like your great golems with a knowledge of black magic that's even greater! If Salnesh is helping the Vampire Intelligence..." Snowfall shuddered and mused, "... then their evil in this realm could be limitless if left unchecked! Eron!" Snowfall stared seriously. "Boy, am I glad we had the good fortune to run into you!"

"Eron's demon is no figment of his M.O.M.-induced imaginings!
The implications of these words... as if he'd waste his life to hunt a phantom of his mind! The Crazy pouts, but it doesn't last for long. The messenger gets it - and that's all that really counts. So Eron nods vigorously. "What he said."

"Boy, am I glad we had the good fortune to run into you!"
"Likewise. Few know about him, but it seems you know lots. That's good, always good. See, we do as well. People don't understand, mostly. There are insane people that claim that they have 'seen the light' or 'found the truth', and then they're run over by a tractor because they didn't. And then there's us. Crazies. Not the same. The studs give it away, don't they? Sometimes, it's difficult to believe. See, there was Wern. Introduced me to the gang. Claimed to be powered by the sun, like one of those solar-powered things. Seemed bonkers, and I'd just woken up from the process. But then I saw him fight at night; and he really didn't do much fighting at all. Just squatted down in a corner, like someone had pulled the plug. It was true, you know... his strength was gone. We debated lots, after that. Whether cats or dogs were the problem. Or something else. We figured it out years later, mostly. Cats for me. Both for him. But it was just a part of a hidden truth. He was closer to get there, but the cats got him first, and it'll take decades for me to understand. He is at the core of the problem, but there's more to it. There's always more. And we all know. Us crazies, I mean. See different parts of the hidden truth. And more of it, the more we see. So don't disregard the words of a man with studs for nothing but a fantasy. If we say we've seen the light, we mean it."

A shrug. "Had to be said, at some point. Before people begin to sing, and pet the cats. You did the right thing with the demon, back then. Stopping him is the rightest thing to do. I'll try. Terra helps, with her little friends. That's good, and a beginning." He points at Snowfall. "He answered the why better than I could have. So now the how remains, and the when, and the who."

"Hmmmph... " Daisy sniffed, "...cats are always causing problems." She grumbled idlely as the crazy finished his spiel.

( Sherwood Sherwood Would Daisy be able to detect this Salnesh through her super senses of psychic and supernatural? )

Sherwood Sherwood Would Daisy be able to detect this Salnesh through her super senses of psychic and supernatural? )
Right now, Daisy is still feeling the general level of evil coming from the direction of the pyramid. At first, you had all assumed that it was just the Vampire Intelligence that was giving off that psychic stench, but perhaps a part of this taint you are feeling is coming from Salnesh. Right now, you are just too far away and having trouble filtering out the emanations from the various Ley Lines to be able to tell.

The implications of these words... as if he'd waste his life to hunt a phantom of his mind! The Crazy pouts, but it doesn't last for long. The messenger gets it - and that's all that really counts. So Eron nods vigorously. "What he said."

Snowfall cringe was so great you could see his embarrassment go through his entire body. While providing facts, he had accidentally insulted Eron - some Crazies were still sensitive people! he reminded himself. Not all of them were... actually come to think of it, most that he had met were... oh heck with it! Crazies were insane people, but they were still people! Just be more careful next time!

"Yowch! I'm sorry, Eron! I really didn't mean to imply you had made Salnesh up! When you've been in the good-guy side of helping spiritual matters as long as I have, you see all kinds of mental problems!

"Remind me to tell you about the time I ran into the insane village of human people who thought they were Smurfs! I wish I were kidding! The whole village thought they were each three apples tall! And any other humans they saw? They ran in fear thinking it was Gargamel! Heck! They even thought I, in fox form, was Azreal until one finally pointed out, 'he's a white fox, not an orange cat! Stop yer running! Smurfity smurf smurf smurf!!'" That's a quote!" If anyone were looking at Snowfall now thinking he was about to suddenly grow M.O.M. implants, he just added, "I swear it's true!"

"Likewise. Few know about him, but it seems you know lots. That's good, always good.

"What I've shared is pretty much all I know. I haven't had direct contact with Salnesh as you have."

He points at Snowfall. "He answered the why better than I could have. So now the how remains, and the when, and the who."

Hearing this, Snowfall straightened, feeling a little better.

Terra plants her hands on her hips and says, "One way or another, we will take out the nasties in that pyramid, and that includes any and all demons we come across. The fact that this Salnesh is a shapeshifter is somewhat problematic. We'll have to find some way to make sure it doesn't try to slip out of the place by impersonating one of us. That would suck. But, I am thinking that between Daisy's sharp sniffer and our See Aura spells, we'll be able to identify the demon even if it is in some other form."

D. Rex D. Rex

Snowfall shook his head. "No way, Jose! See Aura has many counters and someone like Salnesh will know them. Don't make the mistake of
underestimating this guy! But as for Daisy's gifts," he looked with wonder towards his canine companion. "What do you think, Daisy?"

"I could make a blade, a great blade, one that would ensure that this demon actually stays down, as well as cutting through a great numbers of vampires in the way. Striking with the force of a dozen MDC rifles, wounds unable to be healed or regenerated, it would be something I am scared to bring into the world. Once I create it I become responsible for the lives it takes. However it would take time that it seems no one is willing to spend. So Instead perhaps I could modify some weapons to be more potent against the undead at a small energy cost. I've been toying with the idea of a rocket launcher that shoots holy fireballs and explosions to wipe out vampires and the like in one devastating blow.

Truly I must ask though what it is you guys would ask of me, other than my blade and pistol tommorow. I am so much more powerful as a force multiplier than a solider, but that does take time we seem not to have."

"I think..." Daisy said, rubbing her nose, "...That we need to stop working around key lines. All I can tell is that the taint is strong and vast here. And here its so thick you could fog it like pea soup. With the jnterference of the ley lines it is all just a mush. There does come a point where all evil smells like is just evil. And when things overlap like this, and that stupid magic itches my nose, then it comes to the pointwhere it makes things hard to tell apart."

She looked over with renewed interest at the man claiming to be able to work miracles with weapons. "I got weapons. Lots of weapons. I got a shotgun, sawed off nice and short. What can you do with that? Ooh, I also got a handful of grenades, can you make them holy? I also got a lovely Boom Gun and love to see my baby do even more damage. I'm already in the process of converting ammunition to rounds of wood and whatever silver the village can scrounge up. Also! I got a variable frequently laser cannon! Energy can't do much normally... but maybe you can force multiply it to shoot out sun beams or something." She said with a grin.

she cleared her throat. "I have more of course. A big particle rifle, plasma ejector, jetpack, heavy reliable energy pistol. Glitterboys, and a host of mecha to take advantage of. You can use one if you like. I'll allow it."

She looked over with renewed interest at the man claiming to be able to work miracles with weapons. "I got weapons. Lots of weapons. I got a shotgun, sawed off nice and short. What can you do with that? Ooh, I also got a handful of grenades, can you make them holy? I also got a lovely Boom Gun and love to see my baby do even more damage. I'm already in the process of converting ammunition to rounds of wood and whatever silver the village can scrounge up. Also! I got a variable frequently laser cannon! Energy can't do much normally... but maybe you can force multiply it to shoot out sun beams or something." She said with a grin.

"Well the magnitude of the effect must be powered by a form of magical or psyonic energy, this would be a limiting factor, except that gems allow us to multiply the force of the magic or psyonic energy. So, I can do all of that, the big limiting factors are time, it takes a dozen hours for even the most simple projects, of which I do not have the assistants to cut that time down, and of course gemstones, I have a handful myself, and I'm sure your group has a few, so depending on resources available. I could do all of those but both resources are limited, so it really comes down to what you want, or need most?"

"Well the magnitude of the effect must be powered by a form of magical or psyonic energy, this would be a limiting factor, except that gems allow us to multiply the force of the magic or psyonic energy. So, I can do all of that, the big limiting factors are time, it takes a dozen hours for even the most simple projects, of which I do not have the assistants to cut that time down, and of course gemstones, I have a handful myself, and I'm sure your group has a few, so depending on resources available. I could do all of those but both resources are limited, so it really comes down to what you want, or need most?"
Daisy thought about it for a moment. "We got a big fight, and I want to make every shot a killing blow. Something for demons and vampires. If I can get my boom gun to disintegrate both, as well as making a bigger boom or hurting as many in one shot as possible, that would be nice. If we are facing down hordes, then if my slugs can pierce through dozens, or my flechettes can hit a wider area and still be as effective, both would help us with crowd control, especially with a weapon that can harm them reliably. Wood is plentiful here, but silver is scarce which will leave me limited on what I can do to demons. Basically, tinker, I want my rail gun to be louder than gods revolver and twice as shiny."

"I got a plasma torch, tools, mechs that can be scrapped, and a freighter load of cash to invest. All you could need. Could buy an emperors ransom in gems. And hire just as many assistants. I'm also psychic, for what that's worth." She said, adding the last but dDistastefuly . "I ain't got fancy magic or super natural stuffs about me. I'm an au naturale walking arsenal and you seem to be just what I need to keep up with dragons and spirits and atlanteans and crazies and other weirdos like that."

D. Rex D. Rex

"Excuuuse me!" Snowfall paused in his contemplation long enough to shout a fox-like bark to wolfy Daisy. "I am rather proud to be a weirdo, I'll have you know!"

Snowfall had mentioned the idea of wood and water-based range weapons to Dr. Curie, but he hadn't gotten far with that. Seeing the Techo-Wizard and Daisy chatting was enough to make Snowfall believe he had made the right choice when directing the doctor to the boom-loving Psi-Hound.

Plus he found it strange that Daisy, in her statement, had seemingly completely forgotten about her rune weapon. What could be more magical? Then he surmised that she probably thought of incredible axe as just another tool.

Snowfall then raised his finger in an "Aha!" moment. He produced his paramedic kit and his holistic medicine kit and, between the two of them, began to fashion earplugs for the rest of the party.

Terra laughs. "Being a weirdo is one of the great things in life. It helps to keep things interesting. Now, we have some decisions to make. We have a sizable amount of ass-kicking potential here, and a good way to sneak in the pyramid. The longer we wait, there is a chance that the enemy will be able to bolster their numbers even more. So, while I'm all for getting the best upgrades for our weapons that we can have, there is a real time limit here. As far as I'm concerned, we should be able to do some real damage to the Vampire Intelligence and the monsters in there in short order as it is. So long as we attack at dawn, we will have hours of time to do the job before the vampires in there are able to wake up and cause trouble."

She looks over at Eron. "I know you don't like the idea of the were-jaguars being in the middle of all this, but they can be a real help taking the pyramid back from the fang gang. It could hopefully distract the monsters in there and let us take out the main enemies, including your demon Sanlesh."

Snowfall hopped in surprise and with the best of intentions, quickly corrected Terra. "Yikes! No, no! It's Salllnesh, Miss Terra! Salnesh! Not Sanlesh! You gotta be careful never get a demon's name wrong! They love it when that happens! Ever try to banish a bad guy only to find out you got "Fred" instead of "Freud?" Ooh, it's just as bad as getting a dragon's name wrong, or a nature spirit, or worse! Your mother-in-law's! Yeeks! Try living that one down!"

Snowfall shivered then aimed a finger skyward. "My point is - even a single letter off and you're on the trail of somebody totally different! Boy, I wish we were after Sanlesh. That's a last name used in the Middle-east." Snowfall grinned. He liked sharing his vast wealth of mystical knowledge, especially with somebody who would really learn from it - like Miss Terra!

A nod. Names are important. His name in particular. "Salnesh it is, right. Took long enough to find out. Might make a difference, might not. We better don't find out, I reckon."

But it's actually the whole cat-thing that mostly got his attention. Bad idea, that, real bad. The Crazy shrugs. "Cats could be a real help, you said, Terra. Can be a real burden too. Always worrisome to have an 'ally' stick a knife in your back. Or a claw. Or teeth. You get the idea."

Just when it seems like that's all there is to say, he elaborates further. "Seen cats, ever before? Of course, they're everywhere, after all.They're not like dogs. Ask you Glitterboy lady. Cats are selfish, and do their own thing. Plus, there's the whole style mess. Long story. Old story, too. Stole their style, back then. They didn't show yet, but they know. Probably waiting for the right time to strike, use me first. Sounds cat-like. They're all in it... they'd deny it, of course, so no point asking. Doesn't matter."

"Point is: We don't mash well. Not at all. Put us in a pyramid together, and only one side makes it out alive. Even without him, or all the vamps. Maybe that's fine. If he's stopped, the rest doesn't matter, does it? But if not - that'd be a shame. Know him well by now, at least better than most. Better than this pack of cats."

Another long pause. A stare as stern as he'll ever get while not speaking about him. He even speaks slower to make sure everyone understands clearly. "You want them in this, make sure they stay away. Let them draw out the demons into the forest, or something. They'll interfere anyway, it's their way of 'helping'. But at least then you tried, and that's all I can ask for. I say we leave them out of this, let them have their pyramid afterwards if you really want. Fine by me. But if you want them in this - it'd be better if our paths never cross. You think they're allies, where they're really not. That's alright, you haven't seen their treachery yet. But it means you wouldn't stop them in time. So at least make sure they stay out of my sight. It's better, believe me. Still not good, but a little better."

Terra silently wonders what his problem with cats is. Aren't they just cute little balls of fluff? But that was neither here nor there. She looks over at Eron once more and says, "Very well. We can ask Jorge's people to cause as much of a distraction up top as they can, then the rest of us make our way into the lower chamber where those Maggots and the Vampire Intelligence lie. Then we use all of our powers to lay them low and rid the world of their evil."

She looks over at the Doc, and asks him, "How much time do you need to do some of your work? I don't want to delay any more than we have to, but every bit of an advantage would help."

Zephiron poked at claw at the translator by his ear, trying to adjust the settings. He looked to Terra and Eron to give a brief shrug, deciding that trying to follow some of the conversations was a headache his brief life experience just hadn't prepared him for yet.

The hatchling assumed his humanoid child form and stayed next to Daisy as she spoke with the mystical weaponsmith. War, weapons, combat, all of these things his young mind could comprehend and respect. "Not to seem at odds with you all the time, but our foxy friend is right. You've boasted to me about your arsenal before. Surely that runic weapon is at least close to this old Halberd for killing critters." He settled the bottom spike of Cutting Squall into the ground and leaned on it as he spoke. "While not everyone here has the magic to deal with these man-squitos, I can at least generate some sunlight and glue a few of em to the ground... nice and still like while they wait to get shot... or staked. As for silver though... think the mech-nugget house thing can find what you're looking for? Possibly even -have- what you might need?" D. Rex D. Rex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back