• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rifts Adventure IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Terra nods. "Good point. We did swap radio codes to be able to get a hold of one another, so why don't we try to give him a call using the Badger's communications system? Eric, if you would be so kind, would you patch us through to Hagan, and see if we can't get in touch with him? Lets see if he's done with his resupply run for his missiles from his hidden cache."

For the last few moments, a sneer has slowly made its way onto her lips; the kind of smile that people show when most outcomes of a debate suit them just fine. Magic-wielders always disregard the things that hundreds of brains came up with - those tech-possessed men and women, in turn, don't quite understand what true magic can accomplish. That's why she's put her bets on both sides, ever since she got the choice; can't do too poorly with the best of both worlds. Enough to kill a dragon on her own? Likely not, or only very slowly. They've fought one, and killed it, but only as a team. On her own she would've run, and she hasn't forgotten that quite yet. Dragons are frightening, even the young ones. They're feared for a reason, after all. But there's no need to mention that, no point in fueling their pride even further. Pride killed that dragon, just like it has killed millions of soldiers over the years. Leave it for the others, and perhaps for the slayer - it takes a certain arrogance to fight in the battles like he does.

And it takes some wisdom to take a step back and recognize your own ignorance; how much have they truly learnt in two fights, against different kinds of mechanoids at that? Better ask the man who has spent more time dealing with them than those assembled here, see if he knows a thing or two. "Sounds like a plan. Worst case, he at least knows how to get their attention."

Working the controls of the radio, Eric is able to quickly send out a signal. It takes several long moments before you get any response, but eventually you do get a return signal. "Hagan here. Sorry. I got delayed. Ran into another Mechanoid patrol and had to deal with them. Are you guys still waiting on me? Keep this band open, and I'll home in on you. I shouldn't be more than an hour."

True enough, just under an hour later and Eric calls out, "I got Hagan's mecha on the radar. He's on his way, ETA ten minutes." When he finally comes walking up in his giant mecha, you can see spots on its armor where it has been recently patched and repaired. It powers down and Hagan climbs out, and he walks over and offers up his hand to the party. "Good to see you again. Even better to see the extra help that you were able to pull in. I just hope that we have enough to pull this off."

"So! What can I do to make this happen?"

Gradicus immediately brightened upon seeing Lonovich return. The cunning human had survived a Mechanoid patrol, this time apparently without anyone's help and Gradicus was glad to hear it. He took the warrior's offered hand and clapped him on the shoulder. "Welcome back! To see you hale and hearty brings pleasure to my eye, friend! Would you teach us of our foes? These robots with the brains of flesh-creatures inside of them? Ah, but first!"

Gradicus did his best to introduce Hagan Lonovich to everyone assembled starting with Elder Brazamal who was responsible for beginning their team's adventures from the very beginning. He provided everyone's name and occupation who had shared it. For a second time, Gradicus did not think to offer his own to the newcomers, including the Glitter Boy pilot or the young dragon prince. This was not done out of haughtiness, but instead out of slave-bred humility. There were times that Gradicus thought his own name was so small as not to be worthy of raising and this was such a time. It was not self-pity, but the a habit formed from years of living the sad life of an invisible, inconsequential slave. Sometimes, it simply did not occur to the True Atlantean that anyone would be interested in him or his name. This was such a time.

"Warrior Lonovich, how do these relentless Mechanoids think? What are their strengths and weaknesses? We know so little of them." Gradicus put one hand on his hip. "The less surprises we have from them, the less casualties we suffer while we kill these ruthless fiends." He said the last with a vicious snarl. That these Mechanoids slew innocent, unarmed people made the spirit of the young gladiator rise with thoughts of great and natural violence, like the kind a lion would bring upon a fool threatening his pride. He thought of the blasted bodies of the poor victims in Wangler's Knob and a line from the human bard, William Shakespeare, turned darkly through his mind.

"All hell shall stir for this." - Henry V

Before Hagan arrives, Eric makes a quick check in the Badger's supply cache, and comes up with a portable throat mic translator for Zephiron. He offers it to the dragon, and says, "Here ya go. This should work for you, to be able to speak and understand English until you have the chance to learn it for yourself. It just sticks right on to your scales, so it should also be ok when you shapeshift. Give it a try."
Rykon Rykon

Once Hagan does arrive, and is introduced to the new arrivals, he gives the big Atlantean a wide smile in greeting, which turns into a frown as the question of the Mechanoids comes up. "Just because they are fanatical killers doesn't mean that they are stupid. They are cunning, and quick to respond to threats. The Thin Men and Runt robots are less responsive, but they do coordinate with one another well, and what one sees and hears, they all know. If you want to try an ambush, that might work once, but after that, I don't know. I hazard a guess that they would be fast to change tactics and not fall for that again."

He pauses as he thinks. "The real threat is the possibility that they will open that Rift to their home dimension and call in reinforcements. I think that is what they are trying to do with the construction; build something to control the Rift and make it open to the location of their choice. That must be taken out, either by destroying it directly or by hitting the fortress itself and blowing it up to keep these mechanical monsters from fulfilling their plans."

Gradicus mentally drank up this knowledge as surely as if he were downing cold brews in some lust-filled tavern. "Are they magic-users too to create their own means to travel through a Rift? Or do they use technology alone? If it is technological in nature, might we attack its power source and destroy both it and the bridge they attempt to fashion?"

"How is it possible to tell the robots like the Thin Men and Runts from the Mechanoids themselves?"

Hagan lets out a bitter laugh. "Because the Thin Men and Runts are the only ones that look humanoid themselves, in some mock parody of their hated enemy. The rest of the Mechanoids, be it the Brains or their Brutes or Runners, they are all clearly not people, even from a distance. They all have some kind of odd shape to them that betrays their true, living nature compared to the robots of the Thin Men and Runts. I have never seen any of their 'higher' caste forms, they must leave those inside the base."

He then scratches at his chin, thinking. "Something else you'll need to know about these things. Apparently, all the organic Mechanoids are powerful psychics, capable of mental manipulation of their foes if you are not careful. Exactly what they can do is unknown to me, but I'm not gifted in that realm at all. Hell, my ex-wife would call me brain dead if you were to ask her! Ha ha ha!"

As you are discussing this with Hagan, Eric suddenly pokes his head up from inside the Badger and yells, "Hey! I got two airborne targets coming our way! Speed one twenty miles per hour, altitude five hundred feet! Distance of five miles! Coming down from the north, not the same direction as the Mechanoid fortress."

While it may not be the Mechanoids, the prudent thing to do is prepare for an attack, just in case. The various Battle Controllers have their Automations spread out to avoid getting hit by a strafing attack, and the heavy infantrymen lock and load up on their man-portable rocket launchers and rail guns, and the five Cyber Knights stand ready, energy rifles in hand, leaving the mages in the APCs still recovering their spent PPE. Lord Brazamal looks unconcerned as he turns his attention to the group, wondering what actions you will perform.

What do you do?

With a shake of hr shoulder, Daisy brings the Boom gun up to ready. Making sure its default ammo was loaded up. Would handle flyers well.

"Let's see what we be gotten here." She said. Using her systems to hone in on the targets and see what they were.

Systems in use. Sherwood Sherwood

Optical Systems: Full optical systems, including laser targeting, telescopic, passive nightvision (light amplification), thermal-imaging, infrared, ultraviolet, and polarization.

Radar: Can identify and track up to 72 targets simultaneously at a range of 40 miles (64 km).

Targeting Computer: Assists in tracking and identification of enemy targets. Ten mile range (16 km).

Terra will make her way closer to her Automations, just in case this turns out to be a threat, but she won't climb up on any of them at the moment. If she needs to, she can have her Battlelord scoop her up to be able to go into a fight. She calls out, "I'm going to try to give these guys a call on the radio, see if they feel like talking." Turning on her short range radio, she hits an open frequency and sends out, "Unknown aircraft at coordinates [insert numbers here]. Please identify yourselves and state your intentions."

Combat Attributes
Perception +2 (more when fighting Vampires)
Initiative +2 (+6 when using sword)
Critical Strike on Natural 18 or higher.
Strike +13 (+16 with one sword, +17 with two. +4 with "Dragonfire" Flamethrower, K-4 Laser Pulse Rifle, M-160 Ion Rifle, and Stun Gun. +2 with NG-SE9 Laser Pistol).
Parry +11 (+12 with Tattoo-Magic shield) (+14 with swords)
Dodge +11
Roll +6 (Automatic Roll and Breakfall from Zanji)
Save vs. Magic +7
Horror Factor Saving Throws (+4 to save from Undead Slayer)
Horror Factor 13 (Awe. 12 from Atlantean, +1 from Heritage)
Attacks per Round: 6 (+1 additional attack per melee round when fighting supernatural evil from Undead Slayer; +1 additional attack from Weapon Mastery - Sword when using swords)

Damage by Weapon Type
Summertime (Katana) - 1D4x10 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures) + 6D6 M.D. (socketed Acid crystal).
Wintertime (Wakizashi) - 3D6 M.D. + 4D6 M.D. + 5 M.D. (double damage versus supernatural evil creatures) + 6D6 M.D. (socketed Acid crystal).
Crystal Stun Mace - 2d6 S.D.C. + Stun when energized (10 P.P.E. for 2 minutes of use). Save at 16 or higher (14 for Mega-damage beings).
(In Bag of Holding) TW Force Cannon - 1D6x10+10 M.D.. Range: 2,000 feet. 5/5 shots per TK-Clip.
"Dragonfire" Flamethrower - 1D6x10 M.D. to everything within 100 feet. Enemies are -3 to Dodge. Can "sweep" 10 foot wide by 100 foot corridor; costs 3 attacks. 5/5 blasts per E-Clip.
K-4 Laser Pulse Rifle - 3D6+6 M.D. single shot, 1D6x10+6 M.D. three-round burst. Range: 3,000 feet. 30/30 rounds in E-Clip.
(In Bag of Holding) M-160 Ion Rifle - 1D6x10 M.D. Range: 2,000 feet. 15/30 shots remaining in E-clip.
Stun Gun (blaster) - Victims are dazed, -10 to strike, parry, and dodge for 2D4 melees. Save vs. Toxins negates.
(In Bag of Holding) NG-SE9 laser pistol - 3D4+3 M.D. Range: 1,000 feet.
Silver-plated gladius - 2d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.
SIlver-plated knife - 1d6 S.D.C. + P.S. bonus + 4 S.D.C.

Gradicus activated his Blazing Comet tattoo, rose into the air to get a line-of-sight view upon them, and used his multi-optics helm to zoom in on them if it were necessary. If he could not identify the airborne objects, he turned to his Triax "Identifier."

The "Identifier". Laser Holographic Portable Computer, Triax LHP-1000 (from Game Master Guide, page 184. Can ID general vehicles, robots, animals, D-Bees, insects, plants, and fruits [72% to 94% accuracy).

full

Image credit: Atlantean by Chuck Walton)
STATUS Location: Maine in the former United States.
Statblock: Self-M.D.C. (327/327) Self-P.P.E. (233/278). Power Matrix (50/50 P.P.E.) . P.P.E. Battery (100/100 P.P.E.). Talisman 1 of 2 (---/100 M.D. 3/3 daily uses remaining). Blazing Comet (Mach 5 for 5 hours. 100/100 M.D.). Smoochie (---/500 M.D. for 5 hours). Effects active: Blazing Comet.

With a shake of hr shoulder, Daisy brings the Boom gun up to ready. Making sure its default ammo was loaded up. Would handle flyers well.

"Let's see what we be gotten here." She said. Using her systems to hone in on the targets and see what they were.

Systems in use. Sherwood Sherwood

Optical Systems: Full optical systems, including laser targeting, telescopic, passive nightvision (light amplification), thermal-imaging, infrared, ultraviolet, and polarization.

Radar: Can identify and track up to 72 targets simultaneously at a range of 40 miles (64 km).

Targeting Computer: Assists in tracking and identification of enemy targets. Ten mile range (16 km).
Daisy turns her suit around and does her best to get a good visual and electronic look at the two aircraft. You immediately recognize them from your time in the Coalition military training schools to identify enemy targets as Sky Hawk Glitter Boy Transport Aircraft, used by the military forces of Free Quebec. It is a VTOL aircraft capable of carrying up to 10 of the famed Glitter Boy suits internally, designed to fly into a hot LZ to be able to pick up or drop off multiple powered suits at once. It is lightly armed, depending more on the firepower of the GB suits onboard it to protect it.
Gradicus activated his Blazing Comet tattoo, rose into the air to get a line-of-sight view upon them, and used his multi-optics helm to zoom in on them if it were necessary. If he could not identify the airborne objects, he turned to his Triax "Identifier."
Using your Identifier, Gradicus gets the same information about the two aircraft. They basically act in the same role as the old Huey helicopters back in the Viet Nam War or the Blackhawk helicopters from Desert Storm.

Terra's radio call is answered by a woman's voice. "Ground forces, this is Sky Hawk Flight Tango 34 on a training exercise, out of New Haven of Free Quebec. We have a message for a Terra Alvana from Capt. Crombie if she is there with you. The message is as follows: 'We were never here.' Do you copy?"

Terra lets out an exuberant fist pump, followed by an excited, "Yes!" Composing herself, she replies on the radio, "This is Terra Alvana, and you can let Capt. Crombie know that the message was received, Sky Hawk Flight. Just out of curiosity, what numbers of troops do you have to do some 'training' with? So we don't get in your way, of course." She cuts the radio, with a big friggin' grin on her face. "We got some help from New Haven! Lets see what goodies are in store for us!"

Gradicus grinned with appreciation both for Lonovich's wisdom and Free Quebec lending their forces to the fray. "The day grows brighter for us!"

Zephiron was still aggravated about being grossly underestimated. He had accepted the translator in silence and tried it on in both dragon and human forms. After that, however, the young one sought the peace of a brief nap, else his temper overcome his better judgment. He didn't want to lash out at these people, not with a dragon-friend present, but he certainly felt tempted. So, while the party of Atlanteans and their accomplices continued to plot their assault, Zephiron withdrew further into the depths of his brief slumber until they seemed ready to coordinate the details of the operation.

The two Sky Hawk transports slow and come to a stop before settling down vertically a short distance away. The side access doors open, and multiple Glitter Boy power armor suits begin to pile out, along with a few of the lighter Glitter Girl suits and a couple of the Glitter Boy Side Kick armor suits. While most of the armored suits stick close to the two transports, one of the powered suits walks over gives a little wave of greeting.

"I am Lieutenant Stan Miller. Officially, we are on a training exercise and are not here to aid any foreign power or get involved in anyone else's fight, but if we just happen to come under attack while in the field, we will defend ourselves. Under the table, however, we are here to help. I have twelve Glitter Boys as my main gun line, with support of four Glitter Girls and four Side Kicks for close in protection. We have little to no idea of what we are up against, though. Can someone fill us in on our objectives?"

Shaona, tw

She already raised her thumb towards the sky when the transports began to land - a simple gesture of appreciation for every little bit of help. Turns out they sent more than just 'a little', all the better in her mind - she moves to come his way, ever so slightly, so that it's not just dozens of people simply staring at his approach.

"Glad to have ya, Lieutenant - thanks for scheduling an 'exercise' on such short notice. Ain't ever gonna hear me say that Free Quebec didn't stand its ground when it mattered, be it official or not. I'm afraid this'll be far from a practise run, though." One hand pulls out a piece of scrap metal from her pockets, remains of one of the robots' outer hulls. "Part of a robot, created by the mechanoids; damn resilient, took us some time to get them down - and they will be a lot of 'em, plus more challenging threats. We've got some combat footage we can share, and Hagan Lonovich knows more than most." She points out the man amongst the others, as well as Gradicus if the slayer still has the camera footage at hand. "Still, we're mostly in the dark ourselves. They fortified themselves in a place nearby, and thus far attempted to clear the area of defenseless civilians and potential threats alike. From all we know, they consider all humanoid creatures as their foes, and do not waste time on communication before they open fire; our guess is that they intend to open a portal to their homeworld. That'd be a real bad day for mankind and Earth as a whole, so we reached out to trustworthy allies to stop them in time. That's about it, right?" She looks back to the others, asking for either confirmation or important details that she might have left out.

"We were about to discuss the best approach - now that we can safely rely on your firepower, that task should be a bit easier." A short pause. "Oh, name's Shaona, freelancer in service of Lord Bramazal." She points out the dragon, as it seems wrong not to - shouldn't hurt to let Free Quebec know that he cares about more than just the coalition. "You already made comtact with Terra Alvana, I'm part of the very same group; wasn't in New Haven myself, though." The last words, combined with another look backwards, can be read as the request for someone else, more qualified, to take over.

Terra steps up to greet the man in the Glitter Boy suit. "Welcome, Lieutenant. We are absolutely glad to have your team here with us. Lets gather your people around and we'll go over what we know about these Mechanoids with all of your team at once." She gathers up Hagan and grabs a tablet with the combat footage and the surveillance film that Hagan was able to get of the base before getting chased off earlier.

Going over everything that they have with the GB pilots, Terra makes sure that they are up to speed on the threat that they are up against.

After going over the dirty details of what they know of the Mechanoid forces, Terra gathers up the various Battle Controllers, Cyber Knights and Glitter Boys to begin planning their attack. She then looks to Lt. Miller and says, "From what we've encountered so far, those Tanks are a serious threat. If we can get your Glitter Boys in close enough to engage them, I am thinking you can take them out rapidly with a barrage of your Boom Guns, targeting one at a time. As that is going on under the cover of the Boom Guns, we move in with the Automations as fast as possible to get into melee range for the Earth Thunderer's and the Fire Drakes with their hand to hand attacks."

"Gradicus and Zephiron, you two are some of the few fliers we have in our group. I was hoping that you two would join with the Ice Drakes as they fly up to hit those six flying things, and help to swat them out of the sky. We can also have some of our wizards riding on the Ice Drakes to add their magic to the mix up there, to take down the enemy air units and give us air superiority. Once we own the air, focus on the ground troops until we control the battlefield."

"Daisy, we have a target rich environment for you to be able to pick your targets from. I would suggest you stay back and just hammer anything that moves and rack up as many kills as you can, focusing on the brutes and leaving the lighter Thin Men and Runts for the Automations.

"Lord Brazamal, I have seen elder dragons in action before, so I have some idea of what you are capable of. I hesitate to tell you what to do out there, since you know better what you can do."

"Hagan, you are the resident expert expert on these Mechanoids, and your mecha is an unknown to me. Just be careful out there. I would hate to lose you in this fight, since if it were not for you, we would have much less knowledge of the enemy that we have now."

Terra looks at everyone, and says, "I am not the one in command here, and I am hardly infallible. So if anyone has any better ideas to share with the group, please do so. I want to hear them."

Zephiron tried to paint a picture of the battle in his mind. With the limited air support on hand to this group he seemed satisfied with his own role.

"Once we have disposed of their flying gnats, I will reinforce whoever remains engaged in the fight. Sounds simple enough to me. Who's in charge of call outs and communications?" The young dragon glances to Eric, Shaona, then Terra. "I guess in doubt, I could just follow the big one." Zephiron gestured toward Gradicus with his head.

Hagan gives a satisfied nod. "Sounds like you have a good handle on things here, Terra. I just hope that we can get this done and face off against whatever is still inside the fortress without any issue. Having the help of the Glitter Boy gun line will certainly help, especially if they can hit those tanks and wipe them out."

Brazamal also nods. "I feel that we are as ready as we can be for this. Lets get it over with, before it is too late."

Gradicus did not like the sound of this. The plans were coordinated, but based upon some presumption instead of fact.

So what were the facts?

Gradicus shared his thoughts aloud. "Hear me, friends. We are not prepared just yet. Lonovich has said our foes possess psychic powers, that they can manipulate their enemies. What have we done to protect ourselves against this? What do we do if our Glitter Boys fire on us or our wizards cast against us?

"We might do well to draw them out of their hardened fortification and strike them at the edge of our range. Psychic abilities, at least as I understand them, lack the reach of Boom Guns and their like.

"Has anyone scouted their fortification? Gone looking for signs of these 'greater' Mechanoids Lonovich tells of? Great or small, we know not their numbers. We do not know how best to maneuver within the enemies' walls. What then for us when we enter?

Gradicus solemnly took a step forward. "If you have no scout, I volunteer to fly above and learn of these things. I but request someone cast a spell upon me to provide Invisibility that I may scout and tell undetected. I shall not dally but learn and tell all.

"What say you?"

"I can handle that I think, but I'd have to be carrying you for the invisibility to apply to you. My range is still limited, given limited time to practice." Zephiron stated, still proud of his mastery of magic for one his age.

Terra looks over at her fellow Atlantean and says, "Other than the video that Hagan has shot earlier, I can't say that anyone has scouted it out at all. Unfortunately, I lack any spell that could be able to hide you while you are out there in the field, so you'll have to rely upon your wits and your speed in order to get back in one piece. All I ask of you is just be careful. There are few enough of us left in the 'verse that losing even one of our number would be a major blow. The alternative that I could suggest is that I could use my spells to shrink myself to a mere six inches tall or turn invisible, or better yet, both. I can't fly as fast as you can, but I can make it work. I would just have to leave my kids behind, since they are not quite as stealthy as I can be."

Gradicus rubbed his chin stubble. "Given the number of wizards Elder Brazamal brought with him, I was hoping either Shaona or they might provide this meaningful obfuscation."

"My spells for that are more selfish in nature - could turn invisible and be one with the shadows, but that's only me, not someone else. So I'd say you try to get a look from afar, and I sneak in closer, on the ground. That'd leave Terra back with her automatons to lead the charge if help is needed; and give us some intel that we lack right now. Plus: If something goes wrong, I've got the tools to stay alive for a while - and I'm psychic, so I can shield myself against whatever suggestions they might have for me."

She spits out. "After that, I'm fine riding a dragon" - she looks at the more-than confident young dragon - "or my bike, or be wherever you need me. The more mobility I have, the better, I'm best at keeping others alive. Just by intuition, I'd leave Lord Bramazal out of the battle for as long as possible; there's always something unexpected out there, and in that case it's good to throw a well-rested elder dragon at it. Of course, you know best how to be most useful" - she nods at the lord - "but if we can take care of something, there is no need for you to waste your strength on it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back