• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Rhand Triangle (Treasure Hunters Mysteriously Shipwrecked)

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Setting

The Rhand Islands were a (fictional) small group of islands halfway between Hawaii and Midway. They were settled by a man named Jonathan Rhand around the turn of the 20th century and opened up o a very limited basis to imigration and tourism in 1905.

Rhand set his territorial waters and later airspace boundary at 12 miles outside of the triangle formed by the exterior edges of his three islands. The greatest distance between islands is about 95 miles, so this was a point of contention.

Politically the islands were neutral, self-governed. The one requirement to work there was a knowledge of the English language. Business owners were required to have a translator present if they do not speak English themselves. Few have really heard of the islands as they closed off tourism in 1914, reopened in 1920, then vanished completely in 1938.

Rhand Triangle

182ft Ocean Survey Vessel, Treasure Hunter, Fully Equipped Steel Commercial Boat

Treasure hunters have long sought the Rhand Islands. Various governments have financed exploratory missions. Today the searches have pretty much come to an end. But every now and then someone catches a glimpse of what they think is land in the region people have searched repeatedly. And it is in those places that ships have been known to go missing. You were a member of the crew of such a ship, a treasure hunting vessel.

One instant it was sunny and calm. Then someone thought they saw a glitch on their sonar. The next instant the ship was caught in a storm. And the next it was the next morning and you woke up on the beach of a strange island - no clue which one - and the weather was once more tropical. There was no sign of the ship. (Up to you guys if you wake up together.)

You will be uninjured, save for perhaps some minor stuff. You will unarmed, save for perhaps a knife. (People don’t generally hit the weapons lockers for a storm.)

The Crew

If you check the specifications for the ship, there were 24 single berths and 8 cabins. That’s 32, assuming a full crew was present. Obviously cabins housed senior crew and technical personnel. Single berth for the rest.

All positions are open until taken. FCFS. However, you can only hold a position for a day before I open it to someone else. (I have had too many people “reserve” a spot and never create a character.)

Last edited:
This sounds like a lot of fun! I'd quite like to play the ship's security officer, who was bound to providing safety and is now both obsessed with the cause of the ship's crash and their collective amnesia while trying to keep the surviving crew safe still.

I'll be as interested in what characters did BEFORE they became treasure hunters and sea mappers. Prior naval experience, or marine cargo handlers, scuba divers, medics...

I have an idea for a former Gazprom surveyer. Dr. Dmitrii "Dima" Nikolaevich Aksyonov, who specializes in Petroleum Geology and deepwater drilling. He would pretty much be the eyes and ears since he'd have various tools like sonar.

Added a link to CS thread.

I am probably going to make an archaeologist, someone who has been searching for scraps of historical info about the Rhand Islands - if noone else does. I also have an idea for an oceanographer.

FYI, I like Dima as a concept. I will have a description of the glitch in the sonar based on his background later on. I am setting this RP in 2027 (near future). I keep up on research along these lines as a hobby.

Still waiting for at least one more person to post a CS. Then we can get started. Yes, if I Liked your CS it is approved.

I also added a few characters to my list. Mine are mostly younger characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back