Revamping an Old Character

BittyBobcat

Llama hand
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I switched accounts a while back (locked myself out of the other one because I couldn't force myself to dive back into all those alerts, and then I left for a while again without making a new account, and here I am now finally having made a new account), but this is an old character I used here:

Name: Daxter Wicken

Nickname: Dax

Ability: He can control soundwaves, essentially being able to change the direction of, amplify, and silence them. Though, to do so, he has to have soundwaves to manipulate in the first place. Usually, stronger soundwaves are harder to manipulate, and he needs space to amplify smaller ones to make a strong enough wave to actually cause any damage. For example, snapping and clapping aren’t extremely loud sounds, so they need about six to seven feet to amplify into something that can move objects that are 100-ish pounds (cough cough, humans, cough cough). It works better with voices, but there’s one problem with that. He’s mute.

Appearance: (I don’t have a picture, really sorry) Daxter is pretty short for his age, about 5’1. He has dark brown eyes, with a slight orange-ish tone. He has jet black hair cut into a short, messy clump on top of his head. He’s pretty pale from sneaking around at night, and usually not getting much sun. He is very boney and thin. Usually he is fine with wearing whatever, most often found wearing a plain navy blue hoodie and jeans.

Personality: Dax is pretty skittish, jumping at the slightest of noises. He has a tendency to bolt when in danger. He is scared of most new things, especially people. He’s more of the lay low type, who prefers to stay quiet and not get noticed (not much of a problem for him). He’s almost always nervous, biting his nails and lip when it gets especially bad. He has a hard time communicating since he’s mute, and has to use his powers to manipulate sound (usually the sound of a snap) into slightly more word-like sounds. This takes a lot of focus, and he’s embarrassed by how strange it sounds. Despite this, if you manage to get him to trust you (which is a long and hard endeavor), he will be surprisingly open, and fiercely loyal. Making jokes, being emotional support, even fighting alongside them if the need should arise (even if he might be useless in said fight).

History: Daxter has had an, unsurprisingly, eventful life. When he was born, the radiation, aside from giving him his powers, also managed to mutilate his vocal cords so badly that he couldn’t make a sound. Later, they found hat the mutation also made it harder for him to breathe whenever his vocal cords tensed up, which was whenever he got nervous, which was a lot. At best, he would have to sit down for an hour or so, and, at worst, he would start choking. His family, being poor and living in a wartorn world, couldn’t support someone that couldn’t pull their weight, but also couldn’t bear to kill him.
It was then that they realized he was empowered, due to the strange silences that would fall across the house, or the ear-piercingly loud crickets at night. So, they began discussing turning him in. At this point, Dax was about six, and he heard this. Fearing the strange facility that everyone spoke of, he ran. He lived the next eleven years on the streets, constantly running, stealing, and keeping his powers as secret as he could manage. He was prey to many bullies on the streets, but, miraculously, he survived, and kept his freedom. Until now, that is. He was caught a few days ago, and quickly shipped to the facility. This is his first day.

Its from Dont call this love, which is one of the rps that I loved before it died. The basis of it was: facility = bad government people trying to make weapons from powered people who keep appearing cause radiation (and the powered were heavily hated and supposed to be reported if discovered). Anyway, I want to revamp him to fit him into an almost marvel-esque universe. The main thing I need to change is how he got his powers (and put some details into his backstory that I had been planning) but the problem with that is I can't figure it out.

Here's some ideas I had:

1. I could try a radiation incident, but that feels like a bit of a cop out because so many superheroes use radiation for their power excuse that it gets tiring.

2. Another one I'm thinking of is maybe a blessing from a god, but that feels like it would make his characterization a bit wonky because I'd have to inject some sort of sound god and worshipping of that god and why that god also messed up his vocal chords to make him mute. I'm also not exactly comfortable writing people who reverently worship a god because I feel like I'll do something bad that will end up being really rude and ignorant since I don't really have a religion. I'd also have to choose which god, which means a lot of sifting through mythologies, which is fun, but then more danger of portraying worship wrong. Or I could use a made up god that has never existed in mythology before, but that stands the chance of resembling other gods and leads up back to square "I really want to portray this right but I am way to anxious to trust myself not to mess it up"

3. Being born with it could work, but, again, cop out.

4. Being exposed to something weird. Like an alien plant or rare element. Again, cop out.

5. Randomly chosen from some stranger that had it, needed to pass it down, and chose a random baby. This is the one that interests me most. It sets up some nice drama with "that superhero lost their powers!" and "huh, this kid has that superhero's powers" and "are you a secret love child?" But, at the same time, I'd have to frame said drama effectively. I want there to be a reason for the superhero to give up their old power and stuff. Alternatively, I could make superpowered stranger just an incognito guy that never revealed his powers to anyone, but that makes me kinda just fade them into the background, which is annoying. This also hits the "well where did the FIRST one get their powers from" and then we're back to square one, except it's slightly more lenient.

Anyway, which one should I use? Anyone have better suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back