• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

DawnsEarlyLight

SHORT DISCLAIMER FOR THE SITE ADMINS: This thread is based on the same principle as its #forumgames counterpart, except this version is intended not as a contest per se, but rather as a way for multiple users to exchange RP plot ideas and decide together on which one (or more if possible) we want to do. Having said that, if the two threads are too similar and one of them must go, then I would prefer to keep this thread up and discard the #forumgames version. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

The 80's, 90's, and early 2000's had some of the most badass movies, TV shows, video games, comic books, etc. of all time, hands-down…

But they also had their fair share of bottom-feeders, ranging from campy fast food for the brain to outright abominations that should never have been allowed to see the light of day.

We may look back and laugh (or cringe) at these bottom-feeders now, but recently I got to thinking, could they actually be remade into RPs worthy of RPNation?

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the RETRO RECYCLE BIN CHALLENGE! Take any bottom-feeder fandom from the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's (or more than one such fandom, if desired) and retweak it into an awesome RP storyline!

This will also double as a great way to give your newly recycled RP ideas some publicity. If there’s enough interest, I’ll throw up a poll and start an OOC thread for the winner!

All RPNation rules apply, obviously.

Any bottom-feeder fandom (campy, silly, stupid, just plain BAD, so-bad-it's-good, etc.) from the 80's, 90's, or early 2000's is fair game.

That said, when I say "bottom-feeders", I mean ACTUAL bottom-feeders. As such, the following types of fandoms do not count:
  • Fan-favorites that just happened to not do well with critics.
  • Critically acclaimed fandoms that just happened to not do so well at the box office.
  • Fandoms specifically designed to make fun of bottom-feeders (e.g. MST3K or Elvira).
  • Parodies intentionally poking fun at a particular fandom/genre/etc.
Original RP storylines loosely based on your chosen fandom(s) are acceptable.

Strict adherence to the canon of the original fandom(s) is not required.
Some hint of the original fandom(s) should still be there, however minor, but feel free to give it as much of an overhaul as you like; that's what this challenge is for!

Since this is an actual interest check and not a contest, there will be no judging per se, but feel free to make full use of this opportunity to turn retro trash into creative RP ideas and share them with the rest of us!

ORIGINAL FANDOM(S)
(Include fandom names and links to canon info for comparison.)

WHY THIS FANDOM?
(Why did you choose this fandom?)

RP TITLE
(What would your RP storyline be called?)

RP STORYLINE
(Describe your RP plot in more detail.)

CHANGES
(Describe what you changed (or would change) relative to the original fandom(s) and why.)

OTHER NOTES
(Are there any other details you would like to share?)

ORIGINAL FANDOM(S)
Tattoo Assassins

WHY THIS FANDOM?
This is, without a doubt, the most shamelessly TERRIBLE Mortal Kombat ripoff of all time: so much so that it never even got an official release. With its paper-thin storyline, character designs ranging from generic to laughably bad, disgustingly crude humor* in some parts, and overall lack of cohesive rhyme or reason, it’s not hard to see why this stinker was left to more or less fade into obscurity.
And yet I can’t deny that the basic concept of magic tattoos coming to life does have a certain creative potential to it. And so this, ladies and gentlemen, is my attempt to give this one glimmering nugget of potential the effort it deserves.

*Every single character (and I do mean EVERY character) has a fart/diarrhea-based attack and fatality for no real reason other than POOPOO HUMOR LULZ. There’s also a universal “fatality” that doesn‘t actually kill the opponent but instead makes all of their clothes magically disappear, leaving the victim shrieking and trembling as they try desperately to cover themselves up.

RP TITLE
The Ink of Aidoneus

RP STORYLINE

Centuries ago, a medieval alchemist calling himself Aidoneus (“the Unseen One”) received an unlikely gift from a meteor that landed outside his home. The meteor was made up entirely of a precious life-giving mineral from the farthest reaches of space, which Aidoneus believed to hold the secret to immortality. Determined to protect the meteor’s secrets from rival alchemists and bloodthirsty inquisitors, Aidoneus took to breaking it down into smaller pieces to hide in empty bottles of writing ink. One such bottle, however, turned out not to be so empty after all, and out climbed a small blob-like creature made entirely of ink. Ecstatic at his discovery, Aidoneus fed the creature even more ink and experimented further with the other pieces of the meteor. With the slightest thought, he could command whole armies of the ink creatures to assume whatever shape he wished, easily hiding them from his enemies.

Keeping just enough of the original mineral for himself, Aidoneus lived on for centuries, eventually buying an ink factory in the 1980’s for the sole purpose of creating more mineral-imbued ink…

Until, in a seemingly minor slip-up, the mineral found its way into the ink supply of an unsuspecting tattoo parlor.

Upon realizing the oversight, Aidoneus burned with rage at the sight of the garish designs painted with HIS INK onto the bodies of the tattoo parlor’s clients. Those ignorant fools don’t realize the power they keep carelessly embedded in their skin: power that was always meant for him and him alone!

Summoning his ink-creatures to his side, Aidoneus ordered them to find the thieves and take back what was rightfully his, at any cost, regardless of who or what stands in his way.

CHANGES
Got rid of all the pointlessly disgusting shlock of the original, and blended Koldan and Mullah Abba together to create a villain with more personality and motives than just random-jackass-with-tattoo-needles-for-fingers-who-wants-to-take-over-the-world. Also gave the story some potential for a horror-ish element by setting up Aidoneus to start hunting down the poor unsuspecting saps who got tattooed with his ink.

OTHER NOTES
I just wrote this whole entry in a couple of hours, late at night, just to serve as a basic template for this challenge. Maybe if I find the time, I might polish this idea even further and make an interest check out of it, but for now I’ll just leave it at this.

ORIGINAL FANDOM(S)
Sultry Teenage Super Foxes

WHY THIS FANDOM?
These comics did have a few nuggets of miserably wasted potential, with its elemental powers for the heroes and interesting blend of sci-fi and fantasy for the villains. Having said that, the sexist overtones and obnoxiously vapid heroines really sucked out whatever enjoyment I might’ve gotten out of the aforementioned good bits. The heroines are only interested in using their incredible elemental powers to try to pick up guys (they themselves say as much multiple times in the first issue alone), and do I even need to discuss the sheer stupidity of using top-secret scientific equipment on yourself just to try to impress the male pilots at the local Air Force base? So long story short, I feel the need to try to fix this sexist stinker.

RP TITLE
Daughters of Earth

RP STORYLINE

It all started at a military research outpost deep in the forests of Arizona, with a series of top-secret matter transmutation experiments collectively known as the Zosimos project. As the project demonstrated greater and greater success throughout its development, the end results began to have worsening impacts on the surrounding environment. Unbeknownst to the researchers on the project, this greatly angered the nature spirits who inhabited the forest, until finally they decided to seek revenge.

But their vengeance did not quite go as planned. The nature spirits combined their magic into a powerful storm, just as the prototype of the Zosimos Beam was being tested. The forces of science and magic clashed violently with each other, destroying much of the outpost, but also accidentally bestowing the power of the elements of nature onto four college girls who just happened to be hiking nearby.

With their new powers over earth, air, fire, and water, these girls stand at a crossroads between the worlds of man and nature. Now they truly are Daughters of Earth.

And with an intergalactic war threatening to catch Earth in the crossfire, it seems Earth may call its Daughters to action sooner than they realize.

CHANGES
All the sexist overtones were cut out, the girls actually serve more of a purpose than just trying to impress guys, and the origin of the girls’ powers (see my earlier mini-rant) was changed to a freak accident resulting from a combination of magical and scientific forces. A subtle environmental message was added in, while also putting more focus on the intergalactic threat to Earth for RP purposes so that it’s not too Captain Planet-y.

OTHER NOTES
Special thanks to Linkara for having the only comprehensive online summary of the plot that I could cite for this entry!

Last edited:
I'd say Ultraviolet falls into this category, though I'm not certain this type of thread really works as an Interest Check. Good luck with it either way!

I'd say Ultraviolet falls into this category, though I'm not certain this type of thread really works as an Interest Check. Good luck with it either way!
The idea is not to name bottom feeders per se, but rather to try to make something better out of it. I put together two examples in the “A Few Ideas of My Own” spoiler if you’d like to see what I mean.

The idea is not to name bottom feeders per se, but rather to try to make something better out of it. I put together two examples in the “A Few Ideas of My Own” spoiler if you’d like to see what I mean.
Typically, Interest Checks would be for a specific RP idea you have that you're trying to recruit people for. Since you're inviting others to create and decide the setting, I'd say this probably would be more of an RP Discussion thread.

But like I said- good luck with it either way~

Typically, Interest Checks would be for a specific RP idea you have that you're trying to recruit people for. Since you're inviting others to create and decide the setting, I'd say this probably would be more of an RP Discussion thread.

But like I said- good luck with it either way~
Ahh, I see. Thank you for clarifying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back