Experiences Replies- In Notes or Onsite?

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This may be a bit of an odd discussion but I'm just curious is all. Where do you guys write or plan your replies to RPs. Do you write them in docs or notes, then format them? Or do you them directly onsite. For me, since I usually do RPs on texting apps, I tend to write in notes. This is so I can circumvent the 2000 character limit. Write my whole reply out fully, and then send it. That way things don't get seperated and get sent all at once. Plus, for me it's less distracting to write in my notes as it keeps me focused, and not worried about checking other notifications, and so forth. Just focus on the writing. Though, on this site there doesn't seem to any sort of limit on how much you can write, so I can write as long as I want without worrying. But still, for me, I like to make sure I keep all my replies safe somewhere, in case I exit the site or like check something else so my reply is safe . And I'm wondering am I the only one who does this? Or are there other RPers out there that also type in Docs or notes then copy paste?

I always write my posts out in Word or OpenOffice and save regularly. It's the sensible thing to do if you don't want a forum to accidentally destroy your typing. Auto save features are notoriously unreliable. Also you can keep an offline record of your rp in case the forum you're on goes down.

Yep I keep archives of my entire role play on google docs. In case the site goes down we can keep going without losing anything.

also if anyone ever asks for writing samples I show them the doc sense I don’t use threads. So it’s the only way I can show my writing style.

Usually on the site. I hope the autosave feature doesn't fail because it's gotten better in one of the updates.
But sometimes if I'm writing reply on my phone and for some reason site is not accessible (bad signal for example) I'm using a notes app in phone to write reply there first.
For some rp I keep a copy on google docs.

I keep copies of my PM roleplays on Google Docs in case the site ever went down for some reason.

When it comes to actively writing my replies, I use Microsoft Word. Basic grammar and spellcheck are included which is nice for helping me edit and proofread my posts. I also just find writing on Word to be easier/more enjoyable somehow. Probably just because of habit haha, but it puts me into even more of a writing mood when using it. Plus I prefer flipping back and forth between apps on my laptop rather than having to scroll up and down constantly to read what I'm replying to.

Initially I was writing my posts onsite but I find using Word just... works better for me somehow. Maybe because I don't get as distracted, idk exactly.

I've recently started to do this. Normally I wouldn't care a whole lot, but I've been making some drastic changes to my writing style over the past year or so. I used to do a few paragraphs at most for any given post, but lately I've found myself satisfied with anywhere from 700-1,000 words, so obviously I don't want to put all that wieght on the shoulders of RpN's draft system (though it hasn't failed me yet, I've heard stories). So whenever I need to post, I pull up RpNation on one side (reading over the last post as I write) and a Google Doc on the other. Google Docs is good because often I need to leave or take breaks in the middle of my post, so I can then continue it on a different device if need be. :)

I usually plan out my posts in a notebook with a pencil and then I write the reply on RPN. If I feel like I really need to interrupt it a lot, I may post it on my private worshop. If I'm writing for anything off site, I'll use the word app or google docs.

i actually type out my reply in the private workshop 😅 it’s just a lot more convenient for me that way because then I have access to it from my phone, on my laptop, etc.
idk why but I’m not a big fan of writing replies on word doc or gdoc or one note so yea

I always just do it on site. I take the time to write out posts that are pretty good (in my opinion) but I'm to lazy to copy and paste them to a doc.

I write on Google Docs. I have one document for the current reply I'm typing up, as well as what my partner has written for me to reply to. The second document is used to archive posts within a thread so I can look back on them easily.

I usually add footnotes towards the end for anything notable that comes from any of the posts, so I don't forget about it later.

It depends on the post. Short and sweet usually goes up directly on-site. For a long/more involved post, or if I'm replying to more content from other people, I often have a separate document on my computer to flesh it out, and then it gets copy/pasted into my code on here and edited. I also sometimes save posts in my PW on here (or on my desktop) if I have to wait for something/someone before it can go up.

It depends but I tend to write my replies in various locations. Sometimes it's in the quick reply, Notepad, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, etc. Anything works for me as long as I can get my response down.

I usually write my WIP posts in PMs on other sites, but given that this place has a private workshop where others (excluding site staff) aren't allowed to nose in, I write them there.

I use google docs for serious roleplays, which usually have a longer post minimum. If it's just a laid back rp with not much riding on the post length, I just use the thread.

I use a minimalist writing app for the posting part and keep my apps in a prettier word processor since I like to keep tabs on my characters. I'm not really consistent though!

I'm terrified of just writing blind on-forum. I've done it once or twice but it's just been etched into my brain at this point to never trust auto-save.

Memorize it.

If it is 25 lines, I just use the look of disapproval app on mobile and rather than insert a emote I just slap the idea or any post I make in there. Since one particular device doesn't have a notepad-like document application pre-installed.

If it is 50 lines or more I write it on a document.

I don't use internet sources because I used to never really have access to the internet periodically. I still transfer notes by USB to different devices and computers.

If I don't have that, I physically write it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back