Idea Reinhardt's Thingy of Stuffs

this looks like it blongs to creativity or something. have you considered moving it?

Last edited by a moderator:
[*]

latest

Come on, let's face it. FF has a pretty good amount of interesting info which can be used to create wonderfully twisted plots and magnificent works of collaborative art. It already has an established beastiary, which eases the mobs and monster-stuff. The classes and other stuff will also help in character visualization, and the setting (which varies pretty much every FF game) could very much suffice to be used as reference for locations, etc. The espers/summons, magic, etc. also helps out with fleshing the world since those can be easily altered and modified to fit the theme.

Now, what's the problem? I feel like making one FF-based RP, but I am currently at a loss. I have a vague amount of ideas, but I don't have enough details and a set path to compile and mix them into an RP of tolerable quality, let alone make an interesting pitch to grab people in. GMing is another matter, but I think and hope I can do that with average efficiency and prowess. Yes, I am still asking for help here, lol. People who can work as world-builders, mechanic-creators, organizers, etc. Even a Co-GM, if possible. 

gray-divider.png

So, what has been established so far:

• LOL, nothing. It is a final fantasy-based RP, if that counts.

I see final fantasy, which definitely peaks my interest, so I'm more than willing to aid you on your project (I have systems, plots, world-builds, etc. because I daydream FF too much). I can pretty much do any of the roles you've listed, and I can offer my services to Co-GMing, if you feel like you need more than just a GM for the roleplay. @Reinhardt

I'm unsure if I'm skilled or experienced enough at it to help, but I do really enjoy worldbuilding (or thinking up locations, at least), and as a huge Final Fantasy fan I'd love to maybe try to be of some help! If not, that's completely alright as well; I'd still be interested in joining as a regular member as well. ^^

Nice to see that it's getting interest. Wait, what the hell am I saying? This is Final Fantasy we're talking about, it's bound to have some interest in the least.

Anyways, I'll be updating the initial FF-thingy post, and start the discussion later.

Alright. Here we go. @Ultraman @Solaire_

Before we even start to tackle matters such as the mechanics, locations, organizations, etc., let us discuss about the most important aspect of an FF-based RP - the plot. It is, obviously, the very core of the RP (and pretty much ever other RP out there, as far as I'm concerned) so it must meet the following criteria, in order for the RP to have a chance in coexisting with the so many other RPs that may or may not be far better than what it may offer:

• It must be appealing, both to FF fans and non-FF fans. Capturing the interest of potential players is an important objective for us here.
  • It must not leave the classic FF feel. We're making a FF-based RP here, after all.
  • It must not be dull. If we do get players, we must make sure they stay as long as possible. The story is most likely the one that'll keep them interested, and in turn, continue to participate.

Now that those things have been pointed out, let us begin the discussion. Let me start it off for you.

As far as we know, Final Fantasy has always used the "magic vs tech/magitech" trope, along with the nonsensical shenanigans about super important crystals. Yes, using those will make things easier for us, as we can just throw ideas and concepts based on those two things, but wouldn't it be much better to create an entirely new approach? And that is where I'm drawing a blank. I'm having difficulties coming up with a plot that as the FF feel without the crystal/magic vs tech approach. If you have any brilliant and bizarre ideas on that, please don't hesitate to spit 'em all out.

So all I can do right now it spitball once concept that do use FF's classic approach. Here it goes.

Magic Vs Tech (with Crystal stuff) - The world name has always been kept in order by technology. Various high-end and highly-complex key machinations keeps the world in balance and prosperity, making the waters flow vigorously, keeping the air fresh and cycling through the world, as well as the plant and beast life grow abundantly and harmoniously. Not only that, but it grants a very organized system of economy and social order. Almost everyone is kept healthy through the help of these machines, and it also gives them various purposes and roles in society that they can and must take upon.

However, on one specific day, a number of colossal crystals emerged from beneath the earth, causing wreckage and disturbing the order of the world. These crystals radiated a powerful, mystical and mysterious energy that morphed the plants and the beasts in various aspects, such as their appearance, their behavior, and even their capabilities. And as if that was not enough, the people were also affected by such energies, that strange abilities began to manifest on each one of them. Of course, this has caused panic, confusion, and chaos all around the world.

Thus, in order to prevent further casualties and damages, the authoritative organization/s took action and launched a number of large-scale evacuation and relocation that took almost a year to finish. The people, plants, and beasts who were unaffected by the crystals' energy were placed in a city, where they are to live their lives with the guidance of the technologies that survived, just like before. Those that have been affected, however, were quarantined to different city, where they are to be examined and studied for the sake of the world. Not only that, the crystals were also subjected to rigorous research in order to know their purpose and the reason of their sudden emergence. 

Several years have passed, and the situation has only gotten worse. Resources are slowly running out, and the studies on both the affected lifeforms and the crystals bore very little results. And as if fate has turned sour for the world, the smaller-scale crystals have emerged near the area of the colossal crystals, and are radiating a different form of energy, one that is not only harming and corrupting all life around it, but also disabling the machines from functioning near their locations.

How the main characters will enter: Various un/fortunate events that will cause them to leave their locations and the safety of the cities. They, then, will be left at the mercy of nature where they will learn to survive, adapt, and possibly learn the truth behind the crystals. Characters do not need to be grouped at once, but they will be gathered at certain points in the story.

What the heck is this all about: Saving the world. Or just surviving till the end. The crystals will be something that triggers various key events such as boss fights, complex puzzles, etc.

Do give me feedback and suggestions on this, as my mind is having difficult focusing on one thing right now. Multi-tasking is a difficult thing to do, but there are times that it must be done. Like right now. And it sucks.

@Reinhardt I don't understand what you mean by appealing to non-FF fans. I think a final fantasy RP will likely encourage FF-fans to roleplay the scenario, since they're most familiar to the franchise. Do you mean people who like final fantasy, but aren't fans? Although, that's a weird way to put it.

The classic FF feel is something I do understand, but to an extent. Do you have particular FF games you're using as inspiration for the classic FF feel? When I think of Classic, I think of FF I - FF VI. Anything past 6, doesn't feel classic at all for me, except for maybe 9. Or when you state classic, do you mean the mechanics of final fantasy, such as jobs/classes; crystals; airships; etc?

I agree with your point on not being dull, but I disagree that story is the likely thing to keep people engaged, since I view this RP as a Fandom RP. People who like final fantasy will probably join just to RP in a FF-mechanic/lore universe, and then potentially stay for the lore/mechanics. If we go for the classic FF feel, there's more than just the story, there's also the side story for the characters, or in this case the Roleplayer's characters. Unless you count side stories as part of the main story.

Can you go into greater detail about the "magic vs. tech/magitech" trope, or give a link to its definition? I don't think the classics, 1 - 6, actually focused on the trope. I don't know any FF games that did the magic vs. tech/magitech plot, or maybe I don't remember the plots as well as I think I do. I do know there's a dream vs. reality thing, as well as the tension between the balance of dark and light.

I think I understand your plot, but I feel the trope nature vs. machine is more appropriate than magic vs. tech/magitech, or whatever that trope means. This is if we assume crystals are natural objects, which they are typically in a classic FF universe. I guess one concern of mine is that there's no antagonist that's a group of bads, or one person. The classic FF game typically contains a creature, or human who desires to change the world for either bad, or good reasons. Therefore, I recommend making an organization that focuses on utilizing the bad crystals for war, or an organization who believes the crystals' are a sign from gods, or something. Maybe the crystals influenced several people (Since you state the crystals change personality/behavior) to join up in hopes of changing the world by destroying the machines, and cleansing the inhabitants. This would give the crystals a way to express themselves in a way other inhabitants can understand. However, if you're focused on nature as the primary enemy, maybe add side plots that bring some of the inhabitants into the mix as minor antagonists. It's just difficult to relate with crystals, unless there's a form of communication for the inhabitants and crystals. Although, I may be entirely wrong in my assumptions, if you've a different idea for the plot, as the plot becomes vague when you write, "How the main characters will enter: Various unfortunate events that will cause them to leave their locations and the safety of the cities. They, then, will be left at the mercy of nature where they will learn to survive, adapt, and possibly learn the truth behind the crystals. Characters do not need to be grouped at once, but they will be gathered at certain points in the story." It's the reason why I assume nature's the main enemy.

I'm assuming you want roleplayers to create their own story that leads to them joining the group?

The plots I've in mind that I'm willing to share, but I must first know what setting/game/theme inspires the final fantasy universe you want to create? Judging by your plot I say it's a mix between FF 1 and FF 7, if my assumptions are correct.

I don't understand what you mean by appealing to non-FF fans. I think a final fantasy RP will likely encourage FF-fans to roleplay the scenario, since they're most familiar to the franchise. Do you mean people who like final fantasy, but aren't fans? Although, that's a weird way to put it.

What I was trying to say was that it would appeal to those who might not know about FF or simply prefer other games with some similarities to FF. That it would most likely catch the interest of people, whether they like FF or not. I'm not that ambitious to aim for a large-scale roleplay, but I at least want to let the other players to notice what it would be, should it push through.

The classic FF feel is something I do understand, but to an extent. Do you have particular FF games you're using as inspiration for the classic FF feel? When I think of Classic, I think of FF I - FF VI. Anything past 6, doesn't feel classic at all for me, except for maybe 9. Or when you state classic, do you mean the mechanics of final fantasy, such as jobs/classes; crystals; airships; etc?

Mechanics, pretty much. The classes, magic, crystals, and whatnot was what made FF itself. That, along with the turn based battle (which I most likely won't implement for certain reasons), and the grand -esque open-ish world that it provides. I mean, come on, wouldn't you like to at least ride a chocobo?

Can you go into greater detail about the "magic vs. tech/magitech" trope, or give a link to its definition? I don't think the classics, 1 - 6, actually focused on the trope. I don't know any FF games that did the magic vs. tech/magitech plot, or maybe I don't remember the plots as well as I think I do. I do know there's a dream vs. reality thing, as well as the tension between the balance of dark and light.

FF6 actually started the magic v tech with the magitek weaponry and shit. It's a more specific version of science vs fantasy, but focused on strange contraptions (such as the airships warfare in FF4, the harnessing engines of FF5, magitek armor in FF6, Cocoon in FF13, magitek troops in FF15, etc.) Basically, magic is natural (I guess), and tech tries to overcome it by fusing tech with magic, thus magitech. The fight of evil vs good was not really a focus, since you can pretty much see most of the characters pursue their own goals first.

I think I understand your plot, but I feel the trope nature vs. machine is more appropriate than magic vs. tech/magitech, or whatever that trope means. This is if we assume crystals are natural objects, which they are typically in a classic FF universe. I guess one concern of mine is that there's no antagonist that's a group of bads, or one person. The classic FF game typically contains a creature, or human who desires to change the world for either bad, or good reasons. Therefore, I recommend making an organization that focuses on utilizing the bad crystals for war, or an organization who believes the crystals' are a sign from gods, or something. Maybe the crystals influenced several people (Since you state the crystals change personality/behavior) to join up in hopes of changing the world by destroying the machines, and cleansing the inhabitants. This would give the crystals a way to express themselves in a way other inhabitants can understand. However, if you're focused on nature as the primary enemy, maybe add side plots that bring some of the inhabitants into the mix as minor antagonists. It's just difficult to relate with crystals, unless there's a form of communication for the inhabitants and crystals. Although, I may be entirely wrong in my assumptions, if you've a different idea for the plot, as the plot becomes vague when you write, "How the main characters will enter: Various unfortunate events that will cause them to leave their locations and the safety of the cities. They, then, will be left at the mercy of nature where they will learn to survive, adapt, and possibly learn the truth behind the crystals. Characters do not need to be grouped at once, but they will be gathered at certain points in the story." It's the reason why I assume nature's the main enemy.

Interesting suggestions. I'll keep that in mind while I try to find what exactly I am looking for in the plot. Though I was thinking, you do have a point with nature vs tech, what if we do FFV-ish stuff? Like the crystals are not exactly natural, but are caused by some greater being or whatnot (Exdeath for example).

I'm assuming you want roleplayers to create their own story that leads to them joining the group?

You got me right there.

The plots I've in mind that I'm willing to share, but I must first know what setting/game/theme inspires the final fantasy universe you want to create? Judging by your plot I say it's a mix between FF 1 and FF 7, if my assumptions are correct.

Well, I'm not actually looking for a specific FF verse to base upon. I, instead, want to create an entirely new "game" (in its sense, I guess) based on the previous incarnations of FF. So, were basically trying to come up with FF16 here, lol.

@Reinhardt For Statement 1: I find it difficult to appeal to non FF-fans, since they likely won't know the classes, bestiary, FF mechanics, etc; unless you can fit everything into the interest check. I guess, to me, when pitching the FF idea, it'll work like any fandom RP, where you need to be somewhat familiar with the mechanics in order to have any interest. I'm not saying it won't appeal to non-FF fans, but it'll certainly be difficult, and I believe we should focus on FF-fans first over non-FF fans. That's the only reason why I made that point.

For Statement 2: Why won't you implement turn-based combat? How do you want the combat to work? Also, thank you for clarifying that FF classic means the mechanics of FF.

For Statement 3: I know there's magitech, I just don't remember a game being based around that trope entirely. I know there's some esper war, or something for FF 6. Is that what you were hinting at? But then again, it was more about fusing the tech with magic, rather than rejecting, or eliminating the other. I'm trying to contemplate the word choice, which I'm not good with as well considering I didn't broaden the balance trope. I'm not well versed in the games as of late, due to playing them in my childhood. When I said dark and light, I meant there's some balance issue, sorry for not clarifying, not good vs. evil.

For Statement 4: Yeah, take your time. Once I know the specifics you'd want in a plot, I can offer some suggestions that'll hold those particulars. You can make the crystals generated by another power, if that's what you think will add some way to convey a message. Although, you're free to have the crystals act to their own accord without explaining themselves, but a lack of explanation will surely leave the roleplayers confused, which could potentially lead to an unsatisfactory ending.

For Statement 5: That works, but if there's no interaction, what's the point of a group RP? Unless, you want us to write a short story (History), before the group RP begins?

For Statement 6:  I only assumed FF 1 and FF7, because the setting is High tech, which could be FF7, 8, 13, etc. I don't really know ones past 7 that well. I also said FF 1, because FF 1 focuses on the crystals as antagonists in the game.  You don't need to use prior games, but I guess can I know the general Setting, Technology, Governments, Economy, and Culture for the RP? You can be vague too, or post links/phrases/tropes, so I know what you're referring to for FF 16.

For Statement 1: I find it difficult to appeal to non FF-fans, since they likely won't know the classes, bestiary, FF mechanics, etc; unless you can fit everything into the interest check. I guess, to me, when pitching the FF idea, it'll work like any fandom RP, where you need to be somewhat familiar with the mechanics in order to have any interest. I'm not saying it won't appeal to non-FF fans, but it'll certainly be difficult, and I believe we should focus on FF-fans first over non-FF fans. That's the only reason why I made that point.

I understand what you're trying to convey, and it is truly a good point. Focusing on making the concept appeal to FF fans first, rather than making it appeal to everyone is far easier and better, since there is a slight guarantee for interest. That means the effort won't get wasted, and may even bear fruit. So, it is decided that whatever we work upon here shall be focusing first on appealing to FF fans.

For Statement 2: Why won't you implement turn-based combat? How do you want the combat to work? Also, thank you for clarifying that FF classic means the mechanics of FF.

Well, for one, I will have to create a system that will utilize turns, and since that is already included, classic FF stats will also be taken upon. I'd be replicating and modifying the system of various FF games to convert it into a forum text-based system. I could do that, but I have too much on my hands right now that it if I do create one, it would most likely be done through an extremely long process with breaks here and there. But of course, if I would receive assistance in that aspect, it would make things much easier to do.

For Statement 3: I know there's magitech, I just don't remember a game being based around that trope entirely. I know there's some esper war, or something for FF 6. Is that what you were hinting at? But then again, it was more about fusing the tech with magic, rather than rejecting, or eliminating the other. I'm trying to contemplate the word choice, which I'm not good with as well considering I didn't broaden the balance trope. I'm not well versed in the games as of late, due to playing them in my childhood. When I said dark and light, I meant there's some balance issue, sorry for not clarifying, not good vs. evil.

I wasn't saying that it was the focus of the game, rather that it was present in most games, and was considered as a certain arc/chapter that made it work. I was thinking we could at least use the same thing, along with the crystal nonsense, as bases for the plot. 

For Statement 4: Yeah, take your time. Once I know the specifics you'd want in a plot, I can offer some suggestions that'll hold those particulars. You can make the crystals generated by another power, if that's what you think will add some way to convey a message. Although, you're free to have the crystals act to their own accord without explaining themselves, but a lack of explanation will surely leave the roleplayers confused, which could potentially lead to an unsatisfactory ending.

Will do. Hopefully, the next base concept I'd produce would suffice.

For Statement 5: That works, but if there's no interaction, what's the point of a group RP? Unless, you want us to write a short story (History), before the group RP begins?

As far as I remember, most FF games tend to be open world-ish. That's what I'm trying to mimic. I want to give the players a little bit of freedom instead of forcing the plot into them. Since some players prefer to do some sort of solo arcs, it would be better is the characters are separated at the start. Not only would it help develop the characters, but it would also allow greater world-building. It's still a group RP since technically they are all playing in the same world, just at different places. Of course, I do not intend to have them separated at all times. The characters will be grouped up when necessary, and whether they stay with the group or not after grouped events is up to them.

For Statement 6:  I only assumed FF 1 and FF7, because the setting is High tech, which could be FF7, 8, 13, etc. I don't really know ones past 7 that well. I also said FF 1, because FF 1 focuses on the crystals as antagonists in the game.  You don't need to use prior games, but I guess can I know the general Setting, Technology, Governments, Economy, and Culture for the RP? You can be vague too, or post links/phrases/tropes, so I know what you're referring to for FF 16.

FF16 is not a thing yet. What I was saying is I plan to create an entire new world/game using the previous games as reference materials. I'll post some base concepts later.

For Statement 2: I already have a rough idea of a turn system for final fantasy. Just let me know when you want to work on it, and I'll list some concepts. Although, I'd expect combat to be a later focus, as we're still working on the plot.

For Statement 3: Yeah, we can use magitech objects in the roleplay. I misunderstood what you meant by the trope, but now I understand, thank you.

For Statement 4: We can still use your prior base concept, but as I said, we would need more information on the world, as well as some form of tangible connection. Otherwise, the crystals and the monsters they change will seem like an Aliens/Zombie RP, where people fight just to survive, as they don't know why the Aliens/Zombies are attacking them. (Note: When I say aliens, I mean the ones that can't communicate). There's nothing wrong with a Zombie RP, but FF games typically have a message. So if you figure out a way for people to understand the crystals' motives, or whoever's behind the crystals, that will surely help to make the plot feel more final fantasy-esque.

For Statement 5: I understand the open world thing, but final fantasy typically follows a party that sticks together most of the time despite maybe separating for a short while due to plot reasons. And even then, most FF games don't follow the solo journeys of the separated party members. I don't mind soloing, but I feel like it takes away the party/group aspect of final fantasy, which could potentially deter FF fans. I suggest at least pairing up people, if you want them to do separate arcs in the group roleplay. Also, we may not even have that many members to warrant everyone being all around the world. Actually, how many members do you want in the group RP? Like a softcap?

For Statement 6: Yeah, I misworded myself. I meant what do you hope your plot/world becomes like? You don't need to be specific, and you can have give general information on Setting, Technology, Governments, Economy, and Culture.

@Reinhardt

Sorry it took so long, I had to take care of a lot of IRL stuff.

For Statement 2: I already have a rough idea of a turn system for final fantasy. Just let me know when you want to work on it, and I'll list some concepts. Although, I'd expect combat to be a later focus, as we're still working on the plot.

I think it'd be better if we talk about the mechanics first, then the plot. Since, as you've said, players will tend to stick with a familiar-esque system, then commit for the plot. 

For Statement 4: We can still use your prior base concept, but as I said, we would need more information on the world, as well as some form of tangible connection. Otherwise, the crystals and the monsters they change will seem like an Aliens/Zombie RP, where people fight just to survive, as they don't know why the Aliens/Zombies are attacking them. (Note: When I say aliens, I mean the ones that can't communicate). There's nothing wrong with a Zombie RP, but FF games typically have a message. So if you figure out a way for people to understand the crystals' motives, or whoever's behind the crystals, that will surely help to make the plot feel more final fantasy-esque.

Using antagonists to portray the motives of the crystals would be somewhat difficult to do, since they are almost seen by everyone as "extremely terrible things not to be approached". However, some ideas do come up in my thoughts, specifically antagonists who would manipulate the mysterious crystals for their own gains. These crystals, as obvious as it may seem or not, already has something/someone pulling their strings, but I find it easier not to spoil the surprise to potential players.

For Statement 6: Yeah, I misworded myself. I meant what do you hope your plot/world becomes like? You don't need to be specific, and you can have give general information on Setting, Technology, Governments, Economy, and Culture.

I want it to feel like SnK, that when you go beyond the cities, you are basically sentencing yourself to death.

I have rather vague concepts and ideas, but to show something, the tech would be somewhat steampunky, but still advanced.

Cities would be handled by some kind of council.

Economy is stable, but still poor due to the lack of resources. Scavengers would be prominent in most areas, and pricing would be very high inside cities. Poverty would be prominent as well.

As for culture, I still have no idea.

For Statement 1: Alright, what mechanics do you want to focus on?

For Statement 2: If Crystals are not approachable at all, how would an antagonist manipulate a crystal? When I meant tangible connection, I mean the antagonists view the crystals differently than the characters. As well as the crystal's function, and why they recently appeared. If there's a reason for that, it may work too, but it shouldn't be a plot device that takes a while to be set in motion. I feel like a few characters should know the purpose of the crystal, like NPCs, but they're secretive about the issue. Then again, it's your plot, so feel free to keep it as it is.

For Statement 3: Yeah I got an EP, CSR, and SnK feel from cities with protection against the harsh living conditions outside.

For tech - Steampunk, so technology is based around steam? Or do you mean cybernetics? Or do you mean magitech?

For Cities - Do you mean all cities are run by the same council, or are there different ways to lead cities?

For Economy - Is there a divide between the rich and the poor?

@Reinhardt

I don't want to derail the discussion too much. I probably will so apologies.

When designing your game mechanics I would include the crystals within them, and not something unrelated. Presumably since its FF you'll have stats for each character, some of which will be physical, and typically others will be magical. Perhaps make the 'magical' stats linked to various crystals and as they spend more time outside the crystals can effectively mutate them in much the same way radiation does. You mentioned early on that the crystals changed people, gave them skills etc. This could provide an interesting magic system for your game. It would also give the crystals a tangible link to the story/characters until you want to make the antagonists you hinted at more obvious.

One last thing, I wouldn't encourage too much division too early since too much open world without enough structure will descend into a mess. Perhaps you could have small groups, maybe two or three from each city; small enough for individual growth, but large enough for interaction. These groups could merge, fight, or have members split and form new groups as the story grows.

Suffice to say I'm interested, but I'm not going to be much help fleshing out combat mechanics since I've never done it before.

@Tedronai For statement 1: Crystals are a must in any FF RP. I doubt Reinhardt won't include them. When you ask for an interesting magical system, what do you mean? I think it'll be like the game, where white mages know white magic, or healers know white magic.

For Statement 2: I agree with you on that point. Hopefully, there will be a system that encourages people to stick together, otherwise the RP will be too split out. Although, FF embodies open-world, an RP cannot sustain itself, unless there's like 100+, or maybe 1000+ roleplayers. Or if people can just transport to locations, or something. Then, maybe open world can work. I'm thinking of like GW2 waypoints.

For Statement 3: I have an OOC combat mechanic in development, but I'm unsure what Reinhardt wants in an OOC combat system. My combat system involves the utilize of minus, zero, and plus dice with a dice pool. It's like FATE, but it's modified to fit the various classes for final fantasy, I also have a skill system, which uses dice, but dice don't affect the success rate of the skills. Skills are always successful, except for skills that require luck such as stat inflictions.

For Statement 1: Alright, what mechanics do you want to focus on?

Let's start with stats, since that will most likely be a core part of the system. Usually, FF games have the following stats:

• Attack - Physical strength, basis for damage on physical skills and regular attacks
  • Magic - Magical strength, basis for damage on spells
  • Defense - Physical fortitude, basis for physical damage reduction
  • Resist/Mind - Magical resistance, basis for magic damage reduction

Now, seeing that these will most likely involve numbers, presumably double to triple digits, handling and making sure they don't utterly destroy the purpose of RP-ing will be quite difficult. After all, people tend to compare one's stats to another, thus, fueling competition, which does not usually end well.

For Statement 2: If Crystals are not approachable at all, how would an antagonist manipulate a crystal? When I meant tangible connection, I mean the antagonists view the crystals differently than the characters. As well as the crystal's function, and why they recently appeared. If there's a reason for that, it may work too, but it shouldn't be a plot device that takes a while to be set in motion. I feel like a few characters should know the purpose of the crystal, like NPCs, but they're secretive about the issue. Then again, it's your plot, so feel free to keep it as it is.

It may not seem obvious, but of course there will be those characters. The ones who know a lot of stuff, but don't and most likely won't reveal the information unless a certain requirement is fulfilled. NPCs are the easiest to utilize in handling this matter, but I am ready to listen to proposals such as player-controlled antagonists (since a lot of people here enjoy villainy). The main reason that the characters are left outside the cities is to make them encounter something related to the crystals, which would hopefully fuel the player's interest and drive them to discover what is the truth behind them.

For tech - Steampunk, so technology is based around steam? Or do you mean cybernetics? Or do you mean magitech?

For Cities - Do you mean all cities are run by the same council, or are there different ways to lead cities?

For Economy - Is there a divide between the rich and the poor?

Tech - Magitech won't appear early on, but I plan to have them there. The tech is not necessarily based on steam, rather the appearance and complexity of steampunk tech is what I'm trying to implant on the world's tech. You know those heavily convoluted mechanisms involving a bunch of wires, pulleys, levers, etc.

Cities - Yes. The cities are run by the same council. However, this is not entirely set in stone and I'm still trying to think of a better approach on government. Since high monarchs (kings/queens, emperors, etc.) seem to be rather out of place with the current atmosphere of the world, semi-high tech with magic stuff. Yes, FFXV does a pretty decent job with kings and emperors but I think some kind of senate-esque government would work better here.

Economy - Since the SnK-ish feel is already there, I was thinking of using a bit more of the concepts from it. The rich and the poor would be separated through layers within the cities, whereas the rich are in the most secure locations, whilst the poor are in lesser safe locations. The environment on the communities will also vary based on the inhabitants (the rich will most likely have better communities compared to the rest).

When designing your game mechanics I would include the crystals within them, and not something unrelated. Presumably since its FF you'll have stats for each character, some of which will be physical, and typically others will be magical. Perhaps make the 'magical' stats linked to various crystals and as they spend more time outside the crystals can effectively mutate them in much the same way radiation does. You mentioned early on that the crystals changed people, gave them skills etc. This could provide an interesting magic system for your game. It would also give the crystals a tangible link to the story/characters until you want to make the antagonists you hinted at more obvious.

Hmm. Interesting idea. The proximity of a crystal affects the character's developed ability (AKA magic), as well as radiation-like side effects. It might add depth, but at the same time, it might add complexity in an already complex concept. I'll keep this in mind and try to see how it would work in various situations such as combat, explorations, etc.

One last thing, I wouldn't encourage too much division too early since too much open world without enough structure will descend into a mess. Perhaps you could have small groups, maybe two or three from each city; small enough for individual growth, but large enough for interaction. These groups could merge, fight, or have members split and form new groups as the story grows.

Good point. It'd be easier that way.

Suffice to say I'm interested, but I'm not going to be much help fleshing out combat mechanics since I've never done it before.

Don't worry about that. I am not that well-versed in terms of forum-RP mechanics, since most RPs I've done use very little to no mechanics in them. Just think of the regular FF RPG and imagine it in a text-based forum RP, and hopefully that would generate some ideas. If you play mobas, mmos, and various strategy games they would help too.

For statement 1: Crystals are a must in any FF RP. I doubt Reinhardt won't include them. When you ask for an interesting magical system, what do you mean? I think it'll be like the game, where white mages know white magic, or healers know white magic.

I haven't established a magic system yet, but if we do get to make classes seem appropriate in a world full of tech, it'll be very much similar to the game. Otherwise, skills and magic would be character-based, meaning some characters may be able to cast white & black magic, whilst others may be able to cast white & blue.

For Statement 2: I agree with you on that point. Hopefully, there will be a system that encourages people to stick together, otherwise the RP will be too split out. Although, FF embodies open-world, an RP cannot sustain itself, unless there's like 100+, or maybe 1000+ roleplayers. Or if people can just transport to locations, or something. Then, maybe open world can work. I'm thinking of like GW2 waypoints.

Another interesting idea. Waypoints that make travelling easier and almost instant. Maybe this would be a trait of the crystals. I'm still unsure as to what the crystals would really be other than plot-devices that have caused people to gain the ability to cast magic.

For Statement 3: I have an OOC combat mechanic in development, but I'm unsure what Reinhardt wants in an OOC combat system. My combat system involves the utilize of minus, zero, and plus dice with a dice pool. It's like FATE, but it's modified to fit the various classes for final fantasy, I also have a skill system, which uses dice, but dice don't affect the success rate of the skills. Skills are always successful, except for skills that require luck such as stat inflictions.

Dice, huh. It's not really that reliable since you can't always monitor and control players, thus making room for fabricated rolls and whatnot. But it's the only thing that keeps systems viable, so I guess it's fine. I don't have anything against dice, rather it's the possibility of players re-rolling constantly to get the results they want, which is basically godmodding/cheating.

If you can show this mechanic, I'd have an idea of what would be preferable for this concept. Otherwise, all I can say is that there would be skills and stats.

For Statement 1: Do you want stats to hold a numerical value, or a descriptive value? I have a system in the works that contains all the typical stats of an FF game. The one's you listed I already have incorporated into my system, except I call Attack = Strength, Magic = Magic, Defense = Physique, and Mind = Spirit.

For numbers to work, I wouldn't recommend going past three digits. The bigger the number, the more math necessary, which can deter people, unless your goal is to make a number-crunching FF RP. I don't mind stats as a system of determining character values, but I would rather stats supplement IC descriptions more than numbers. Example: 2 points in Attack = You do 2 more damage. I'd rather it be 2 points in Attack = More finesse with your weapon.

I understand the necessity of numbers for Hit points and Mana points as well as damage, but I'd rather the RP focus less on damage systems. Hopefully, we can come up with a simplified system that fits your requirements, as I read that you assume people are inclined to cheat. Maybe a roll room would remedy the situation? Otherwise, I would just accept roleplayers who care more about the story than winning in everything.

For Statement 2: When you say NPC, do you mean a GM controlled character? If characters are searching for a truth, there's a way to connect a multitude of people. Maybe a group of researchers encourages individuals to join their cause in exploring the crystals? Otherwise, I guess let's stick with splitting into groups of 2, or 3.

For Statement 3: So FF 6 styled steampunk for tech? You may need to list all the required details, because levers/pulleys can fit into anything, and wires seems more cyberpunk. I think you mean pipes instead of wires? It's difficult to put a word to technology, unless there's fundamentals established for the technology. Semi high-tech can mean a lot of things, and unfortunately I don't know the exact genre for the word.

I'm fine with different governments, or a primary senate government that rules everything. However, it'll drastically change the way characters interact within the world. I'm assuming that unless characters have some form of political, or economical power, they're considered extremely poor. It may also be difficult to ascertain classes such as white mage, black mage, dragoon, and dark knight, etc; if there's no lore to back those occupations. How do poor people learn magic? Etc.?

Separating the rich and poor makes sense, but hopefully there's some way to connect the rich and poor. Maybe a ritual, or ceremony that requires everyone to be present?

For Statement 4: I guess to resolve the magic issue, we can say magic was never present until the appearance of crystals. The sudden appearance gave new magical abilities? Or maybe magic got even more powerful with the advent of crystals? Either way, there should be some lore to magic.

For Statement 6: Combat mechanics don't need to be the exact FF mechanics, although the mechanics can borrow off FF jargon. The goal of a OOC combat system is to prevent players from dodging, defending, countering, healing, etc. every attack. A stress system, or a method of measuring one's fatigue after performing certain feats can be beneficial, and aid overseeing fairness. Although, I'm fine with having no system at all to decide combat. It's just I don't want combat to take 20+ posts, because everyone wants to win.

For Statement 7: Classes based around the world are fine, but that'll add extra work. It's easier to just have blue mage, red mage, white mage, and black mage classes. Just search list of FF classes, and choose from there, or maybe utilize those FF classes, but give them different names to suit your world. I guess you can also do a Bravely Default system, where a person knows up to two skillsets, but I don't think it'll make much sense IC.

For Statement 8: Now that I've read that, I'll assume crystals allow people to utilize magic. Waypoints, or instant travel are necessary at least in my opinion, if you want to do a full world RP. Otherwise, I would limit RP to a City-state, or have everyone go to one location within a few posts. Timeskips can work too, but that's assuming everyone arrives at the same time.

For Statement 9: I understand dice as unreliable from your viewpoint. However, without dice, or some RNG, characters will typically act the same in their actions. Maybe always dodging attacks, or always attacking and counter-attacking instead of defending. Actually, I guess if we have strict recruitment procedures, it may nullify those issues. Can you show your skills and stats mechanic? I'm a little confused with what a skills/stat mechanic entails. Regarding my mechanics, I'll probably use a rolz room so individuals can see their rolls, and what not. It just comes down to trusting others for dice, and freeform combat. Although, that may be the case for skills/stats unless you'll have skill/stat checks, which seem boring, if the only way to advance is to have a certain skill/stat.

@Reinhardt

The only mechanic I can think of is to have resource pools, so everything's easily monitored, and no fabrications can occur.

How will NPCS/monsters be controlled without an RNG system? Do the GMs just control all mobs/NPCS? That's one benefit of a dice system in that the players can roll for the actions of mobs, and not have to wait for GM approval. @Reinhardt

As a simple solution, could it be that the crystals colour is linked to the mage colours? In that exposure to red crystals give abilities typical to a red mage, but with the radiation like symptoms. The side effects too could be colour specific, and we could even use FF status ailments (blind, poison, sleep etc) in some way.

Not having experienced dice combat RPs the thought of cheating crossed my mind (perhaps because I'm a devious bastard <_<). I'm sure there are ways of moderating or perhaps we just need to trust people.

I once tried to implement a combat system where the GM awarded/deducted points for quality of writing/ typos/grammatical errors etc and the person with the highest score won that round, best of three wins. That could replace or supplement dice and encourage quality posts instead "I rold a 6, I is teh winna" :P

@Tedronai For statement 1: I don't think that'll work, because a red mage knows lesser white/black magic; and a blue mage learns its skills from enemies. You can give the crystals' elements, but have them affect a spell-type such as water, fire, earth, etc. FF status conditions should be prevalent, although, they'll be temporary.

For statement 2: I use rolz to moderate people, since there's a time stamp, but yeah it boils down to trusting people. Honestly, I don't think people have the time to cheat in an RP, but if it's a big deal, I'm down to dropping dice. It's just freeform encourages people to act a bit more overpowered than they normally would be in the scenario.

For Statement 3: That could work, but then we'll need a grading rubric, which may cause RP to turn into a chore. And how about gauging physical/magical strengths and weaknesses? I welcome quality posts, but I don't want a simple farm boy to win against a dragoon due to the farm boy writing marginally better than the dragoon. That's why a stat/skill comparison is necessary, but an added element of strategy/RNG would allow for diversity in actions.

1. It was an idea, my experience of FF are mainly 7 and tactics. However each game has a fairly unique magic system so we could do quite a bit and still have a FF feel. Status effects could still be temporary, let us say for for sake of argument that we linked the spell fire and status sleep with a white crystal. If a character used fire 1 it would come with a side effect of causing sleep. This could be explained in story as the skill exhausts them, and mechanically it could be absolute or probability based. Depending on where you go with it fire 2 would either cause the status to last longer or have a higher probability. Either way this brings a strategic side to the use of magic and keeps the in game idea that these crystals are a curse, nit a boon.

2. I'm happy to listen on this as I have no experience to share. Ultimately if people don't like it they won't join so its just about making it enjoyable for those who do.

3. Again, just an idea. Yes there would have to be some stats otherwise it wouldn't be FF. The farm boy could potentially beat the knight, that's a staple of fantasy after all, but it would have to be believably done. Where I used it before was a very different scenario.

@Tedronai For Statement 1: Magic to cause side effects on one's own person sounds cool. You'll need to go into detail with that, since I've no idea how to create a combat system that encompasses different elements/status conditions, since I'm used to mages using fire, thunder, and blizzard spells, while geomancers/summoners can utilize all elements.

For Statement 2: I'm waiting on Reinhardt's combat system, before sharing my own, since I don't want to polish/edit my system until I'm sure of a mechanic we're using to decide/resolve combat.

For Statement 3: If the Dragoon had various weaknesses, maybe fatigue, drunk, etc; then it'll make sense. Otherwise, if the farm boy and dragoon were on equal grounds with nothing to change the outcome, such as a random heart attack, I honestly think the dragoon should win in physical combat. If it was a forging for ripe vegetables/fruits in an abandoned field, I think the farm boy should find more food than the dragoon. Therefore, different strengths/weaknesses.

1. I haven't got any particular ideas. I'm sure we can create a rough framework, enough that people know how it should work, but not so fixed that the players don't feel too restricted. I don't want to muddy the waters too much so lets get a general combat mechanic agreed before we dive into the specifics of the magic that fits into it. Which leads me too...

2. @Reinhardt, have you got anything you can share yet?

3. I agree. I feel we're kind of getting side-tracked here :P  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back