News & Updates Regarding Omegaverse/ABO

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are here, this means you have clicked on the alert to find out more about the rule update specifically for Omegaverse/ABO. We have officially forbidden this genre from RpNation;

The Omegaverse/ABO genre is sexually explicit. If you wish to use the non-sexual social dynamics you can use alternative terms to express that. Some options include social hierarchy, dominance hierarchy, and caste system.

This decision wasn't made hastily and we want to be clear that we are forbidding this genre because at its core and focus it is an erotic genre. We know there are those who are interested in the social dynamics of this genre, but the problem is that we cannot clearly determine between someone using the term sexually or non-sexually.

If you have any suggestions for what a non-sexual Omegaverse term could be let us know. Create your own new genre! We want to work with you to keep our users and site safe!

EDIT: You are more than welcome to continue using terms such as alpha, beta, omega as those are social/caste/dominance hierarchy terms and not exclusive to Omegaverse.

Last edited:
You learn something every day, I had no idea what it was until this thread. Good on RpN staff though, I hope no one gives y'all a hard time about it ❤ it makes sense since the site already has a rule against erotic content

I looked it up and...

My Eyes Burn GIF by Heute-Show

MY EYES!​

im chill with this and also fun fact guys theirs a writer trying to copyright this genre and theres a lawsuit on it
OMG I have watched some YTbers covering that mess. She's trying to claim het ABO as her thing and the lawyer not knowing the difference between a genre and a universe used in fanfiction and multiverse... how I wish to read those court records.

I forgot omegaverse existed but at the back of my mind it's always been associated with the weird furry stuff

Btw, why is everyone acting like Omegaverse is the most unholy thing they've ever seen? If thirteen year me heard of it, yes I would be shock like you all, but that's tame to me now. It's actually quite sad how I think it's tame when to a non-roleplaying and average roleplaying person, it's bizarre at least and has horrifying implications.

I don't meam to unempathize with you, I understand. It just doesn't have the same kick or maybe I'm just chronically online.

I'm surprised it wasn't banned sooner if I'm being honest but fair/ good job, as someone who has stumbled upon fanfictions with the Omegaverse/ A/B/O in it and has had issues with the memories of that since that day, good.

Yeah, it's some weird 'oul stuff.
Well done on the lot of ye for banning it! :closed eyes open smile:

hooo boy i am also very glad to see it banned finally !

Btw, why is everyone acting like Omegaverse is the most unholy thing they've ever seen? If thirteen year me heard of it, yes I would be shock like you all, but that's tame to me now. It's actually quite sad how I think it's tame when to a non-roleplaying and average roleplaying person, it's bizarre at least and has horrifying implications.

I don't meam to unempathize with you, I understand. It just doesn't have the same kick or maybe I'm just chronically online.
i can definitely understand this pov, but this is definitely a chronically online take. a lot of folks just haven't been in the corners of the internet that talk blatantly about kink and sexual fictional tropes, and i'm glad rpn is helping prevent those moments where people see/read stuff without warning that they didn't want to know about. especially because there's so many minors on here. when i was younger i saw waaaay too much stuff that wasn't labeled or had warnings, and i wish my online spheres had those warnings put in place like rpn does !

I really respect rpn for creating a safe environment, it's extremely important to a lot of roleplayers! ESPECIALLY underage ones who don't yet understand how damaging it is to be exposed to those kinds of things. I really can't explain how badly that exposure messed me up as a kid, and how horrible it affects you in the long run. It changes things. And at first you believe you're mature and can handle it, but looking back it really just screws with you in so many ways.

I am so thankful that this place is so warm and safe! Thank you guys for keeping an eye out for everybody. ^^

I really respect rpn for creating a safe environment, it's extremely important to a lot of roleplayers! ESPECIALLY underage ones who don't yet understand how damaging it is to be exposed to those kinds of things. I really can't explain how badly that exposure messed me up as a kid, and how horrible it affects you in the long run. It changes things. And at first you believe you're mature and can handle it, but looking back it really just screws with you in so many ways.

I am so thankful that this place is so warm and safe! Thank you guys for keeping an eye out for everybody. ^^
Oh my goodness, yes. I agree with you SO much. I’ve been horrified, deeply disturbed and downright traumatized by some of the stuff I’ve seen online in what I thought were safer spaces even as an adult. I can’t imagine how it would affect those who are underage. ):

This is why I adore this site and also why it’s my favorite. It’s truly the online community I feel most safe in and I’m so glad the younger ones get to have it, too. We love and appreciate you, RPN staff💕✨

I'm surprised it wasn't banned sooner if I'm being honest but fair/ good job, as someone who has stumbled upon fanfictions with the Omegaverse/ A/B/O in it and has had issues with the memories of that since that day, good.

Some of those who roleplayed this wanted just the social aspects, but when the term is for a sexual genre you can imagine the chaos trying to determine if someone was asking for fluff or smut. It's why we've come up with some alternative terms and yeeted/banned usage of the sexual terms.

Some of those who roleplayed this wanted just the social aspects, but when the term is for a sexual genre you can imagine the chaos trying to determine if someone was asking for fluff or smut. It's why we've come up with some alternative terms and yeeted/banned usage of the sexual terms.

This. Absolutely this.

We've tried to be patient and reach out and see who is trying to do what, but it's just not worth it. 99 percent of the time it's just ERP that people admit to when we talk to them.

I was only vaguely aware of ABO as a genre. No thank you for making me aware of the specifics, but yes thank you for the rabbit hole you've allowed me to dive down on that author trying to copyright it. That's incredible.

but yes thank you for the rabbit hole you've allowed me to dive down on that author trying to copyright it. That's incredible.
Right? It's better than any TLC reality RV show out there.

Fable Fable I'm imagining all those judges and lawyers having to read wolf p*rn right now and it's the greatest thing ever. I need a prestige TV drama about it right now.

Not sure if it’s been suggested but “pack dynamics” might be a good substitute for those interested in the social dynamics. As I don’t think people really associate it with a caste system or the other alternatives.

As (right or wrong) most people think of it as being representative of wolf or other animal pack structure. The platonic ABO fics I read do tend to have pack dynamics listed as a tag to separate it from the kinky stuff.

For those who are maybe curious about what the non smut version looks like it’s basically what if people lived in “pack” social structures and had a non gender binary society. It’s really kinda sweet, kids are called puppies and there is a lot nesting in cuddle piles with your siblings. It would drive the introvert in me nuts but it can be really wholesome to read about.

Waiting for the realization that "Pack dynamics" is not a thing, was never a thing, and should never have graced the 1s and 0s of the digital mold. Much less most of the minds.

Waiting for the realization that "Pack dynamics" is not a thing, was never a thing, and should never have graced the 1s and 0s of the digital mold. Much less most of the minds.
To be fair though- why does it matter? I mean vampires aren’t a thing, but people write about them? Same with crazy unrealistic scenarios, but they happen on the internet anyway? I’m not a fan personally but to each their own right?

I’m confused on what you mean by that.

Um yes they are? Or are you seriously trying to say canids don’t live in packs?

Wolf packs do indeed have strict hierarchies it’s just usually built around a parental unit, as proper wolf packs are just large families. Which is honestly what most pack dynamic fic are about anyway. So they do mimic “real” pack dynamics as closely as human beings can.

Now if you are talking about the toxic alpha trope that’s also fairly realistic as well. Both in wolves and people. In wolves hyper aggression is the result of poor socialization and an inability to handle anxiety.

tbf you could make that argument for the toxic behavior of men as well. The ones that showcase the most overt aggressive tendencies are also poorly socialized and do not know how to handle their emotions.

So taking aside the kink elements it’s actually a fairly clever allegory for gender roles and social conditioning.

(Sorry I have spent perhaps too long thinking about pack dynamics as it relates to werewolf packs which are fairly similar to the kink less version of what ABO represents)

Not sure if it’s been suggested but “pack dynamics” might be a good substitute for those interested in the social dynamics. As I don’t think people really associate it with a caste system or the other alternatives.

As (right or wrong) most people think of it as being representative of wolf or other animal pack structure. The platonic ABO fics I read do tend to have pack dynamics listed as a tag to separate it from the kinky stuff.

For those who are maybe curious about what the non smut version looks like it’s basically what if people lived in “pack” social structures and had a non gender binary society. It’s really kinda sweet, kids are called puppies and there is a lot nesting in cuddle piles with your siblings. It would drive the introvert in me nuts but it can be really wholesome to read about.
It was considered, but that infers things akin to wolves or werewolves and not all ABO has that sort of element, which is why we went instead with dominance hierarchy. It's more encompassing for different species.

SarkicFade SarkicFade M u n e M u n e

You guys are more than welcome to move this topic to a PM. This thread is to focus on the announcement. :3

Fable Fable my only issue with dominance hierarchy is that kind of reinforces the more well sexualized elements of the genre. The caste system is a little better it just doesn’t really fit the connotation most people have with the genre. As it seems more like well IRL caste systems which are not at all what ABO is about.

From my own experience the more platonic version of ABO isn’t really about social hierarchy or a caste system. It very much touched on secondary genders and familial dynamics (which tend to be called pack dynamics as a genre convention).

But if you would prefer to get away from a species marker then I would suggest “secondary gender” it is a bit similar to social hierarchy in that it isn’t a perfect compromise but it at least fits with what people who write the genre might be more familiar with

(or at least that is the trend I see in fics).

Fable Fable my only issue with dominance hierarchy is that kind of reinforces the more well sexualized elements of the genre. The caste system is a little better it just doesn’t really fit the connotation most people have with the genre. As it seems more like well IRL caste systems which are not at all what ABO is about.

From my own experience the more platonic version of ABO isn’t really about social hierarchy or a caste system. It very much touched on secondary genders and familial dynamics (which tend to be called pack dynamics as a genre convention).

But if you would prefer to get away from a species marker then I would suggest “secondary gender” it is a bit similar to social hierarchy in that it isn’t a perfect compromise but it at least fits with what people who write the genre might be more familiar with

(or at least that is the trend I see in fics).
Dominance hierarchy is actually used to describe social structure in animal behavior; from humans to chickens and so on. :3 As someone not really into the ABO stuff and only what I can glean from research (and reading a some of a 101 master's in gender studies thesis just because it existed), Secondary sex or secondary gender comes across way more confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back