[As We Knew It] Questions and Answers

Dusky

Succubus

Q&A

Welcome! If there's anything you're confused about, feel free to ask about it here! I'm always happy to clarify.

Questions about....

• None yet.

I can't exactly tell where the technology in this story is. Are the guns we're talking about muskets/flintlocks?

What kind of transportation is there? Is it mostly horseback, magic driven, or something else?

What is about the limits that the magic in this world can reach, if it isn't just parlor tricks?

Tugboats said:
I can't exactly tell where the technology in this story is. Are the guns we're talking about muskets/flintlocks?
The interesting thing about this world is that the technology is very mixed. On one hand the best technology out there would be on par with real-world technology probably around the time of trench warfare. No atomic bombs or anything, but plenty of effective guns, i.e. rifles, machine guns, grenade launchers, most of what you can think of. On the other hand, in most rural areas there would be almost no technology to speak of. Not even AC, certainly not sub-machine guns. One of the challenges that Findal will be experiencing is the attempt to rapidly modernize. Factories will be going up, and Findalians have to learn to deal with and use the new fancies. That's an important part of Rustcrust Army and Facts of Life's storylines.

Tugboats said:
What kind of transportation is there? Is it mostly horseback, magic driven, or something else?
Again, it's exceedingly mixed. Most people in Findal would travel by horse; however, the government does have an airship or two, primarily for mail delivery. With the mobilization of Findal throught this story, that's going to be changing. In Zaik, of course, you'd have any number of typical technological transportation, like automobiles and cable cars and airships and the like. However, most of this is public transportation.

As for magic, it isn't particularly difficult to learn a teleport spell that can cover short distances and take you to a pre-set location. Anyone with a grain of latent magical ability in them could learn it should they choose. I think the strongest mage could probably handle twenty miles of distance, but still would need to have a destination calibrated to the spell.

Tugboats said:
What is about the limits that the magic in this world can reach, if it isn't just parlor tricks?
Basic rules of magic are much the same as you might expect. You cannot return the dead, you cannot create true love, and you cannot manipulate time. Those aside, magical miracles shouldn't be expected. A powerful mage might be able to move things around if they're nearby. They might be able to even use basic elemental and light-dark and electricity based magic in combat. But they can't move a hill, they can't create a circle of fire, they couldn't move a pond of water, they couldn't blow a person down, and they couldn't fill a room with light or make it completely dark, nor could they summon a bolt of lightning. And most mage's limits would be below that, too. The typical mage in this world would be something of a witch doctor, with a few useful skills that aren't anything to necessarily drop your jaw over.

Users who are viewing this thread