Recruitment

The Dark. 

As Victor walked into the dank apartment he called home the hallway light flickered. Blood dripped from his hands which rested casually at his side, when he removed his trench coat and hung it on the Hook by the door one could see that none of the blood was coming from him. 

He sat in the lone chair which stood out in the empty room, the dull flickering glow of the television lit the room slightly while casting a glare over Victors dark black skin. The sun began to rise in the horizon casting a reddish glow in the sky. 

"Perhaps one more drink wouldn't hurt." He muttered to himself in a gravelly voice. Walking to the kitchen he opened the freezer pulling a cold bottle of liquor out and pouring a full 8oz glass of it. Leaving bloody smears on both the bottle and the glass. Downing the liquor as if it were water he staggered to his bathroom climbing in the shower to rinse his nights work away. It had been a busy night, A Lawer who made a point to take mutant victim claims, Half a dozen monolith guards, a crooked cop, and a certain brick throwing teenager. The kid just so happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong attitude towards mutants. Sure others would see him as a monster, it was an accurate title. Regardless he had to continue and destroy the hatred, it was his purpose. He stepped out of the shower onto his old stained bath rug, drying himself off with his only towel he quickly he strode to his bedroom. He fell into his bare mattress with a groan and  covered himself [COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)]with his comforter[/COLOR] from the sunlight peeking its way in.

(ok opening post up :)

(Yay!)

Rogue was patrolling high in the night skies, well... 'patrolling' was a strong word. Her focus was mostly taken up on the euphoric, free feeling of being able to soar with the wind whipping through her hair. With all the regulations and the anti-mutant policies taking hold of the world... it was hard for Rogue to go out and have a nice time flying. She used to do it to think all the time, it seemed, but these days that kind of regularity was dangerous. Unless she was on a mission, she only went out when it was dark and it'd be near impossible to see her. It was colder, which was a downside, but at least she had this.

Sometimes she'd find other mutants who needed help this way, although most times the a high-jacked monolith scanner did her job for her. The truth was it was too easy to find mutants in need of help these days. They were everywhere, being attacked, being taken, being put down in some cases when the camera's weren't turned on.

Rogue scowled at the thoughts interrupting her free time. She did a spin in the air to distract herself and let herself drop a few feet before she picked herself back up to soar a little higher. The higher she went the colder it was and she had to stop to zip up her jacket. It was then, as she tugged on the old, stubborn zipper that she noticed the march of boots around a building just yonder of where she was.

A determined frown tugged on her lips and she quietly lowered herself closer to the ground to get a better look. Yup, her suspicion had been right, it was the monolith group. Although... they weren't going in their usual fashion. In fact, the closer she lowered herself, these boys looked like they'd already seen a battle today. Blood was stained on their faces and the black uniforms they wore, and they were currently reloading.

Rogue hung back and watched which way they went in. It was silent and she was about to convince herself to go on in and make sure no one needed help when one of the men she'd seen outside came soaring out of a window. Rogue jumped shocked but darted forward on instinct to grab ahold of the fella. She caught him under his arms and his screaming stopped as he blinked at her wildly, twisting his head about to see her better.

"Hi suga, looked like yah mighta needed a lift," She said with a smirk, before she dropped him unceremoniously into a dumpster. She didn't like these guys more than the next mutant gal, but she sure wasn't going to let someone die in front of her either. With that taken care of, Rogue sped at top speeds towards the building and through the broken window to help whatever poor mutant was being attacked by the monolith.

It was pitch dark in the room, and she could just barely make people out from the light of the building next to this one. In fact, the mutant she'd in here to help had done most of the work himself. It wasn't pretty either. While she'd expected somebody strong, from the soldier going flying, she hadn't quite expected the mutant in front of her. She couldn't see much of his body, but his white, sharp teeth and the glowing red eyes rather caught the eye. Then again, Rogue was kind of used to that, and his eyes were no more alarming than Remy's had been....

Shaking that thought she turned and ram her fist into the stomach of a monolith soldier. He didn't put up much of a fight as he'd already been running away from the mutant, but she put him down before the mutant could. It certainly seemed he didn't waste his time putting them down, there was blood everywhere.

"Seems like yah might not be needin' mah help after all," Rogue hummed towards the figure, just so he knew she hadn't come here to threaten him. No one could be blamed for being rabbity when they were being attacked by soldiers, but Rogue wasn't looking to take a hit for it. She stayed hovering a good foot in the air, so she could dodge an attack swiftly and just to make it extra obvious she was a mutant, too. That usually helped if anyone needed calming.

The Dark. 

the smell of gunpowder filled the room, the acrid smell soothed him. Enough so that even with his adrenaline pumping from the combat he still managed to NOT shoot the girl who flew through his window. "No I didn't." He responded to her statement. His creepy smile grew wider as he recognized her. "Hey ain't you one of those X-men? Yeah I recognize you, your the second X-man I've met." He coughed a bit as his jet black machete and shotgun dissolved in a black smoke. He stepped over one of the monolith soldiers body on his way to the kitchen. Taking out his single glass he poured himself more whiskey. "Want some?" He asked holding the bottle out to her...

Her face pinched as she looked over at what he was referring too. Most of these people were dead, he certainly hadn't made any effort to save them. She knew it was a different world now... but it reminded her of the people who she believed had gotten them to this point. People like her foster mother and Magneto.

A small smile slipped on her face as he recognized her. It wasn't hard, of course, she wore her X's proudly. She would never let them be forgotten, even if it did paint a target on her chest. They all deserved at least that much of her. "An' who was that?" She asked curiously, and wondered if her team had come across him before. She'd also be able to tell if he was lying about it, although she didn't think anyone was silly enough to lie about meeting an X-Men to an X-Men. 

"Ya'd have ta buy meh dinner first, sugah," She waved it off, but watched interested as his weapons seemed to dissolve, or teleported maybe, with the lights coming on lower. "Do yah know why they attacked yah?" Or if more were coming.

The Dark

Victor shrugged at her refusal then downed the whiskey. "His name was Logan but you guys called him wolverine...I was sent to kill him six years ago, didn't end well." He chuckled remembering how I'll prepared he and his men were, he had survived,but only barely. "He stabbed me right in the gut, luckily he missed the important stuff, wether he meant to or not...you'd probably know better than me." After he set the glass down his grin faded. "They're probably mad because I killed some of their buddies early this morning." He began to fill his glass up again. "What about you? I thought all the X-men were dead." He started drinking Again, glancing over his shoulder and wrinkling his nose as if he saw something he couldn't stand. 

She smirked as he explained it hadn't ended well.

"Ah wouldn' think so," Not for this guy here anyways. Logan... oh Logan, who supposedly could get up from anything. Wolverine? No, they called him Logan. He always saw himself as more closely linked to his codename, he struggled with it. With his powers, like she had, like she still did. Maybe that was why they'd grown so close. Besides that underneath the killer exterior and grumpy attitude, he was very protective and he seemed to have latched onto Rogue long before she'd proven herself as an X-Man and not part of the brotherhood. He'd saved her life when she'd been knocked out and fallen into a river. Logan jumped in and saved her, despite no one really trusting or wanting her there yet. Logan had saved her so many times after that, too.

Despite her instant instinct to categorize this man as a uncaring killer, maybe she needed to take a leaf from Logan's book and look past the cover. After all, Rogue had done horrible things before she joined the Xavier, and no one who saw Logan in action would peg him for having a good heart. Having something to fight for... something good, well it brought the good out in both of them. Even Logan, began to try and find other ways even if would resorted to killing if necessary. Or... had.

This man reminded her of him in a way. Maybe it was the forced devil may care attitude. It could not be forced, but Logan certainly had forced it. She knew she should give him a chance. Everyone at least deserved a chance at penance. 

"Obviously not," She added, bitterness tainting her voice. But she realized she shouldn't leave it like that, unfriendly. The X-Men deserved a good name and that weighed on her shoulders now. It didn't mean she didn't struggle with all this, when she was always on the ledge of feeling wholly lost. "I wasn' in Genosha when it happened." She finished and forced her clenched fists to be loose. Back to the point... "How'd yah end up fightin' them in the first place?"

The Dark.

Victor took a sip from his glass, though his eyes had no pupils it was obvious they were locked onto hers. "Damn shame that genosha incident happened..." he muttered losing a lot of the gravel in his voice. He wasn't sure if he should Let this X-man know the full details, she might not take too kindly to his Past occupation. But as he looked over his shoulder again and saw the ghost of Bio standing beside his oven, a charred hole in his forehead. He knew he had to let someone know, it had been years since he talked to someone.

"I used to fight for them, Monolith that is. It was a sub branch of paramilitary called night hawk. We Killed mutants Rouge, a lot of them. One day we met one who could mess with people's DNA, he killed my squad and turned me into a mutant just before I blew his brains out." He glanced quickly back to the stove but Bio was no where to be found. "When I turned into a mutant Night hawk turned on me. They got absorbed into monolith and began hunting me down. I've been killing them ever since." He turned back to rouge studying her reaction...

(Just FYI the Bio dude is a hallucination rouge wouldn't see him :)

She nodded, her mouth pinching tightly. Rogue tried not to focus on it, because her whole family, mentors, her boyfriend, world, and identity, getting murdered in one day's time had been hard to get back up from. It was still hard to get up from some days, but they were the ones that kept her going even if they weren't here.

The way he said 'we killed mutants' it too reminded him of Logan. It was a fact, but she could almost make out the regret in his voice. From the empty bottle next to him she'd say it wasn't a new trait. Besides, she knew how it felt to suddenly need the other side, and to then see that you'd been twisted up and completely wrong the entire time. In her case, lied to, in his, who knew. She frowned as he finished his story, and it was weird... one hell of a twist, but in the end he was just like any of them. Being hunted down for who he was. 

"Not all of us get here tha easy way, sugah," She said comfortingly as she could. "I understand that personally," She nodded. Look at Logan, hell look at Remy... who was part of Sinister's massacre before he reformed and was an X-Men. That had shaken her, but she'd still loved the man. The point was, most folks didn't go out looking to be bad or evil, some did, but most just had things twisted or were in bad positions. What mattered was what they did when they realized where they'd gotten themselves. "Yah been dealin' with them chasin' yah all on yah're lonesome?"

The Dark.

Victor eyed rouge suspiciously for a few moments. Who the hell is this chick? He thought to himself. "Your a strange one..." he muttered to his glass. She had barely seemed to flinch upon hearing his history. He then let out a raspy laugh. "I didn't think any of us had it easy." He set his glass in the sink, and tossed the empty bottle in the trash. 

"And yeah all alone, i know how they think, how they plan, even how they hunt. They aren't ready to kill me." He chuckled a bit more before staggering to his recliner. 

"So what are the X-men doing now? They haven't been seen around lately and the world could really use some heroes." As if to prove a point the news spoke of another "mutant attack." The video recording was very clear that the poor kid was trying harder to run than to hurt anyone, unfortunately he didn't get far.

"it's everyday with this our people need better, better than this...better than I can give them."  His voice sounded agonized, like he wholeheartedly believed that he couldn't do much to help. 

"It's funny before all of this went down, All the hatred was hidden in the dark, now It's come to the light and people spent so long in the dark that they are blind to see just how hideous the world has become." 

He sighed Turning the television off and focusing his attention back on rouge. 

Last edited by a moderator:
"I just seen a lot of people like yah," She said with a shake of her head and finally decided it was safe to cross the room and take a seat in a rickety chair near him. Rogue huffed a sigh and she supposed that was true. No mutant had it very easy from this point of view. But Rogue remembered a time when that wasn't true. When the professor and them would go and find people who were just finding their powers and got to keep their innocence and that discovery was a good one. People like Kitty.

He got up and tidied up and Rogue watched his movements. Rogue rolled her eyes as he declared they couldn't kill him. That kind of thinking just got a person dead, in her opinion. He took his seat again and he clearly was able to feel that bottle he'd just chugged down. Her emerald eyes swept the ground and she wondered what the answer was to that. She kept insisting the X-Men weren't dead, didn't she? But the group she was with now weren't really operate like the X-Men. But they could if they wanted. Thankfully the television saved her from having to answer.

He must be drunk because he sounded a lot more emotional before and Rogue took the chance to lean in on her knees and settle him with a look. "All tha good was hidden, too, workin' from the shadows like tha X-Men," She told him, her voice filled with a gusto she usually lacked. "Tha world does need heroes, those who can, need to do somethang to give those who can' hope. Yah could be one of those people, yah know that? We need to fight back, but yah can' expect to make a real difference fightin' on yah're own 'gainst whoever yah stumble on."

the Dark.

Victor looked down at the ground, he knew she was right. Alone he could fight them but he couldn't make a difference they'd kill him eventually... he just couldn't decide if that was what he wanted or not.

"maybe your right, I'd imagine a team-up couldn't hurt." He slumped in his chair finally feeling the full effects of the whiskey. 

Slurring slightly he said. "Count me in, at the very least I can teach you guys how their codes and protocols work." Then he held his hand out to her, "but I want you to do me a favor. I know what your power is rouge there's a pretty big file about you in the Night hawk Mutant files...I haven't seen my real face in Six years. Please...Help me." He grimaced as he pleaded, asking for help clearly left a bad taste in his mouth. However he couldn't pass this opportunity up, it had been so long he had forgotten what he even looked like.  

Rogue nodded, and she'd have to send message out to the group to tell them she was bringing somebody new in. She smiled at him, and realized that if he knew that sort of thing, that he'd be more than a little help. If they could just get some sort of foothold against the Monolith group. It could be instrumental with the kind of numbers they had. Something could be really done.

A favor? Rogue nodded slowly but observed him carefully. Her green eyes filled with apprehension as he held his hand out. To shake on a deal? Her fingers curled just a bit, but this job of hesitation always came over her when touch was involved. Rogue's face twisted with indecision as he spoke bluntly and it tore at her. It wasn't that she didn't want to help him, and he seemed tortured enough over it. But it wasn't so easy for Rogue. If... if she didn't injure that person so badly that they recovered... Rogue could never undo it for herself. That person would add to the subconscious noise that sometimes overwhelmed her and she'd have a new set of memories and the like to deal with.

"Ah could easily kill yah," She said, her tone hard as she told him the facts bluntly. "Sides I'll gain yah're powers for a short time, yah're memories... not yah're face..." Unless his powers somehow worked into that, as Mystique's did. But she was more than hesitant and Rogue wasn't sure he even know what he was asking for. Even if she did understand that it... must be hard to feel human being thrown into such a sudden mutation and one so drastic.

The Dark.

"I know the dangers, I'm hoping that you can cancel my mutation long enough that I can see my own face in the mirror again." He shrugged "if you don't feel comfortable than that's fine I'll still work with you, if I die there's a black box in my mattress it has everything I know about Monolith from personnel to facilities to security and training protocols." 

He placed his hand on her forearm gently.

"I need this Rouge..." he said in a tone that didn't at all match his appearance. 

"I know it won't be easy on you or me, but we don't have it easy anyway remember?"  

She looked away, out the broken window and the draft she suddenly felt. What a request... and it might work.

He gave her the intel anyway and whatever files anyone had... no one besides the few she'd trusted with the X-Men knew that people's psyches haunted her. He was a decent person.

But this wasn't not easy, this was giving herself a new problem to deal with. But the desperate edge she could make out on his voice made her sigh. "Alraght."

"Yah've got a couple seconds for this ta work, yah hear?" She said firmly and stepped away from him to work her long glove off her right hand. "An' don' yah dare try hangin' on longer," Rogue said sternly, and glanced hesitantly once more. "I don' what yah on mah conscious," She muttered and looked around for the mirror he was talking about. Both metaphorically and literally in her case.

The Dark

He hesitated for just a moment but then nodded and stepped forward. He grabbed her hand interlocking his fingers with hers and immediately he felt as if his very being was being drained away. 

Wobbling for a bit he dropped to one knee   But he didn't let go, he could feel his cheeks returning, the blood vessels in his eyes pulled away, and his skin was beginning to return to its usual color. 

Moments before he passing out he let go and dropped His hands and knees "You weren't kidding.." he grasped while crawling slowly towards the bathroom

"How are you holding up?" He asked as he tried in vain to get back to his feet. His human state was different though no less intimidating. His hair was a dark blonde and short cut. His skin became a tan shade with several tattoos arching up his neck. Across his hands were Various Tribals. All in all he looked more like a thug than a soldier. 

Rogue's face pinched as she felt the tug of his life energy, as it fed into her. Nanoseconds later she was overcome by his memories... someone was standing by the stove. He flickered in and out, and she felt the dread that accompanied seeing him.... a bullet wound bleeding, a trickle of blood that horrified her... him.... Bio. He was just in front of her. She remembers killing him and just as she pulled the trigger he'd attacked her.... her team... His, his team... Victor's team. They turned on him... The fear she saw in everyone's eyes. She felt the self disgust, and... and he let go.

Victor gasped... No. Rogue gasped, she pulled herself together, thinking of herself as she tussled with the newest spread of memories, as she's begun to practice hundreds of times by now.

Rogue blinked as she got it under control and looked down to Victor, who looked completely human with his own mutated red eyes. Her teeth sharpened slightly but didn't extend fully like his and her skin had transformed into a dark coal grey, even if she kept most of her features.

He was crawling weak, and she walked over to him. She felt unsteady on her feet and was worried for a moment something had to do with his mutation. But from the light headed-ness she realized she'd gotten a little drunk.

"Come on, it won't last long, suger," She said, southern twang gone and his gravelly tone replacing it in her voice.

She leaned down and heaved him up under his armpits so he could be in front of the mirror. 

Users who are viewing this thread