• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Recovering a Broken Heart D&D 5e

Grimsvald

Elder Member
cathedral-of-the-deep-dark-souls-3-from-software_1600x960_marked.jpg

The plot is simple. You are a group of adventurers being payed to retrieve an item from the center of a haunted city. It is a ruby heart necklace that a king wants shattered and then returned to him. The catch? of course there is a catch. You must kill his daughter after you have shattered the item and before you have returned to him. Until that sword stroke needs to fall, try to enjoy cutting down waves of unique undead creatures and bonding with your team.

I needs each player to fill out a 5e character sheet. No unearthed arcana or unpublished materials. Your background BOND or FLAW must connect you to another player. When you make rolls you can just include them in your post with [ Roll Reason: Roll Number ] I don't care what system you use to roll it. Stats will be assigned using point buy or standard array.

IN CHARACTER THREAD

Last edited:
cathedral-of-the-deep-dark-souls-3-from-software_1600x960_marked.jpg

The plot is simple. You are a group of adventurers being payed to retrieve an item from the center of a haunted city. It is a ruby heart necklace that a king wants shattered and then returned to him. The catch? of course there is a catch. You must kill his daughter after you have shattered the item and before you have returned to him. Until that sword stroke needs to fall, try to enjoy cutting down waves of unique undead creatures and bonding with your team.

I needs each player to fill out a 5e character sheet. No unearthed arcana or unpublished materials. Your background BOND or FLAW must connect you to another player. When you make rolls you can just include them in your post with [ Roll Reason: Roll Number ] I don't care what system you use to roll it. Stats will be assigned using point buy or standard array.
Hello! I'm uh.... well I've played DND before but very losely and casually I've always very much wanted to participate in a more serious campaign but have never had the opportunity to. Do you think you would/could walk me through how it works and what I need to do? Just think of me as someone who knows literally nothing about DND. Would this be okay? If need be I can take a minor role that can be manipulated by the GM if need be to kind of... show me the ropes.

If you can get your hands on a Players Handbook it walks you through the character creation process pretty well. That is the most difficult part for a player in my experience. I can walk you through the steps in the order I find easiest to digest.

Choose a class that sounds most appealing to you and understand why it appeals to you.
Look forward to the Sub-Class or Archetype chosen for your class in the next 3 levels. (skip the details like HitPoints/skills/equipment for now)

Choose a background for your character. This will help shape your idea of your character as a person, where they came from and how they became this adventurer you play.
Take note of the Skills and items this gives you. Pick Personality, Ideals, Bonds, Flaws and so on.

Now choose a race that complements your idea of this character.
Racial lore or place of origin should complement your background.
Racial stats can complement your chosen class or future sub-class. Such as spell casting ability for the Eldritch Knight / Fighter Subclass is Intelligence so elves go well.

Use a D&D 5e Point Buy calculator to fill in your stats.
Keep in mind your classes primary stats! What type of armor do you wear and what are its requirements? Let the stat needed for your armor choose your melee. Strength or Dexterity based melee weapon? Do you cast magic? What stat do you cast with? Which stat creates your DC? Then look to what skills you want to use and fill in the secondary stats

Now go back to your class choice and fill in details.
Calculate Hit Points. Choose skills that dont overlap your background skills, Choose Equipment A.) or B.) that works best with your stats. Roll for a random trinket from the 100 item list

Choose a name.

If you can get your hands on a Players Handbook it walks you through the character creation process pretty well. That is the most difficult part for a player in my experience. I can walk you through the steps in the order I find easiest to digest.

Choose a class that sounds most appealing to you and understand why it appeals to you.
Look forward to the Sub-Class or Archetype chosen for your class in the next 3 levels. (skip the details like HitPoints/skills/equipment for now)

Choose a background for your character. This will help shape your idea of your character as a person, where they came from and how they became this adventurer you play.
Take note of the Skills and items this gives you. Pick Personality, Ideals, Bonds, Flaws and so on.

Now choose a race that complements your idea of this character.
Racial lore or place of origin should complement your background.
Racial stats can complement your chosen class or future sub-class. Such as spell casting ability for the Eldritch Knight / Fighter Subclass is Intelligence so elves go well.

Use a D&D 5e Point Buy calculator to fill in your stats.
Keep in mind your classes primary stats! What type of armor do you wear and what are its requirements? Let the stat needed for your armor choose your melee. Strength or Dexterity based melee weapon? Do you cast magic? What stat do you cast with? Which stat creates your DC? Then look to what skills you want to use and fill in the secondary stats

Now go back to your class choice and fill in details.
Calculate Hit Points. Choose skills that dont overlap your background skills, Choose Equipment A.) or B.) that works best with your stats. Roll for a random trinket from the 100 item list

Choose a name.
Do you think you could help me via PM?

I found a site but I have a bunch of questions and have an idea of the character I'd like... the stats I've generated seem alright but I don't quite know what they all do, etc. Mind helping me? I can send you a screenshot of what I'm working with.

Make sure you fill in your Background, bonds, flaws, personality and so on. Also check out. Mordenkenin’s Guide for interesting Sub Races of Teifling.

I dont have the book in front of me, but usually there is a stat adjustment and it changes that free cantrip. So the +2 charisma and +1 to some other stat replaces the original racial stat bonus. Then your free cantrip spell may change. I also recommend adjusting your demon look according to the demon you subraced with.

I dont have the book in front of me, but usually there is a stat adjustment and it changes that free cantrip. So the +2 charisma and +1 to some other stat replaces the original racial stat bonus. Then your free cantrip spell may change. I also recommend adjusting your demon look according to the demon you subraced with.
Oof... I just realized Dispater seems to be Unearthed Arcana but it's the best compliment to a Tiefling rogue Subrace I could find... what should I do in that case?

I also took a look at my CS and I have +2 to intelligence, charisma, and Dex although I'm not sure why?

RN I have Thaumaturgy and Hellish Resistance so it doesn't actually look like I need to adjust any cantrips but my base stats are a bit confusing.

Does everyone typically draw their characters? Grimsvald Grimsvald

I looked it up. You get +1 Dex, +2Charisma and you keep that cantrip.

Dispater seems to be portrayed with short black horns, pale purple or dard grey skin and some times hooves. Feel free to take on any or all these features.

I looked it up. You get +1 Dex, +2Charisma and you keep that cantrip.

Dispater seems to be portrayed with short black horns, pale purple or dard grey skin and some times hooves. Feel free to take on any or all these features.
Alright well before I've chosen a subspecies of Tiefling I still have +2 to all three of those stats. I can link you to the generator I used so you can get a closer look - but should I just ignore that and replace my +2 on intelligence with +0 and then alter the Dex and Charisma to match what you said just now or would it be in addition to what I already have?

Dispater was written in Unearthed Arcana, but it was refined and published in Mordenkeinen’s book. Your racial bonus should only be to Dex and Char.

You dont need to draw your character, a lot of people don’t, but keep their appearance in mind for descriptions.

Remove all your racial bonuses and jist give yourself the bonus Dex and Charisma from the subrace. If the website doesnt allow you to do that just write it down to remember it.

Remove all your racial bonuses and jist give yourself the bonus Dex and Charisma from the subrace. If the website doesnt allow you to do that just write it down to remember it.
I think I'll need specific help with my CS. It looks like there are discrepencies across the board and I don't want to give myself an unfair advantage accidentally. Like I said just treat me as someone who's never played DND before. I have common sense so I can figure some things for myself but the details are what I have an issue with. Because that comes with time and practice playing the game

Post up your background, choices for personality, bonds, flaws, ideals and your randomly rolled trinket. The rest of your background can be revealed in character while we play.

Sure.

Ideals -

•Independence. I am a free spirit--no one tells me what to do.
•Creativity. I never run the same con twice.
•People. I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.
•Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.
•Might. If I become strong, I can take what I want--what I deserve.

•Live and Let Live. Meddling in the affairs of others only causes trouble.

Personality Traits -

•I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace.
•I've been isolated for so long that I rarely speak, preferring gestures and the occasional
grunt.

•Sarcasm and insults are my weapons of choice.
•I always have plan for what to do when things go wrong.
•The first thing I do in a new place is note the locations of everything valuable--or where such things could be hidden.
•I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
•I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer.
•I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
•I love a good insult, even one directed at me

•The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it.

Flaws -

•I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
•I am suspicious of strangers and suspect the worst of them

•I'm convinced that no one could ever fool me in the way I fool others.
•I can't resist swindling people who are more powerful than me.

•When I see something valuable, I can't think about anything but how to steal it.
•When faced with a choice between money and my friends, I usually choose the money.
•I have a 'tell' that reveals when I'm lying(lip biting)
•I have trouble trusting in my allies
•I'm quick to assume that someone is trying to cheat me

Bonds -

•I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my parents died.
•I will become the greatest thief that ever lived.

•Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
•I owe my guild a great debt for forging me into the person I am today
•I'm still seeking the enlightenment I pursued in my seclusion, and it still eludes me
•My isolation gave me great insight into a great evil that only I can destroy
•I'm loyal to my captain first, everything else second
•Someone saved my life on the battlefield. To this day, I will never leave a friend behind

•I owe everything to my mentor--a horrible person who's probably rotting in jail somewhere.

Trinket Roll (d100: 45)

Table 6: A tiny fairy in a jar that tells awful jokes.

Background: Charlatan

Charlatan

I expect there to be a fair amount of contradictions but I feel that's more natural for a chaotic neutral. Grimsvald Grimsvald

Last edited:
Sure.

Ideals -

•Independence. I am a free spirit--no one tells me what to do.
•Creativity. I never run the same con twice.
•People. I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.
•Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.
•Might. If I become strong, I can take what I want--what I deserve.
•Live and Let Live. Meddling in the affairs of others only causes trouble.

Personality Traits -

•I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace.
•I've been isolated for so long that I rarely speak, preferring gestures and the occasional
grunt.
•Sarcasm and insults are my weapons of choice.
•I always have plan for what to do when things go wrong.
•The first thing I do in a new place is note the locations of everything valuable--or where such things could be hidden.
•I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
•I feel tremendous empathy for all who suffer.
•I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.
•I love a good insult, even one directed at me
•The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it.

Flaws -

•I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
•I am suspicious of strangers and suspect the worst of them
•I'm convinced that no one could ever fool me in the way I fool others.
•I can't resist swindling people who are more powerful than me.
•When I see something valuable, I can't think about anything but how to steal it.
•When faced with a choice between money and my friends, I usually choose the money.
•I have a 'tell' that reveals when I'm lying(lip biting)
•I have trouble trusting in my allies
•I'm quick to assume that someone is trying to cheat me

Bonds -

•I owe me life to the priest who took me in when my parents died.
•I will become the greatest thief that ever lived.
•Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
•I owe my guild a great debt for forging me into the person I am today
•I'm still seeking the enlightenment I pursued in my seclusion, and it still eludes me
•My isolation gave me great insight into a great evil that only I can destroy
•I'm loyal to my captain first, everything else second
•Someone saved my life on the battlefield. To this day, I will never leave a friend behind
•I owe everything to my mentor--a horrible person who's probably rotting in jail somewhere.

Trinket Roll (d100: 45)

Table 6: A tiny fairy in a jar that tells awful jokes.

Background: Charlatan

Charlatan

I expect there to be a fair amount of contradictions but I feel that's more natural for a chaotic neutral. Grimsvald Grimsvald

You just need to pick one from each catagory. You can pick two if youd like, but more than that from each section might be too much.

Grimsvald Grimsvald I want to have an urban favored terrain for my ranger but it's not accessible. Would Underdark be an equivalent terrain for this setting?

I am running 3 campaigns at once. People post pretty slow so it isn’t hard for me to keep up with. This is mostly a dungeon run, so I will just say your ranger terrain is always in affect. You can be a bit of a tomb raider or catacomb delver. There are less restrictions for class and race in this game so keep that in mind when building your character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back