Anime & Manga Recommend Seldil an Anime

Seldil

Hello all,

I was hoping people could recommend me some anime. I do like anime but a lot of the most common tropes really turn me off of many of the popular shows. I would prefer scfi, fantasy, or some sort or supernatural element to the show but if it's really really good I might watch a show without that.

I do not care about content and there is no subject matter that offends me.

Mostly I look for shows that would be good even if they were not animated.

It cannot have a screeching annoying character. I don’t know why anime studios feel they need one of these. Many otherwise great shows have been ruined (for me) by this.

It has to have actual story and not just be an excuse to look at underage girls panties.

If there is comedy it must know more jokes than the "accidental pervert".

I know a lot of people like stuff like that it's just not for me.

Some examples of stuff I have liked.

Berserk (pre puck once the screeching elf shows up I'm out)

Moribito

Claymore

RWBY

Legend of Galactic Heroes

Appleseed

Ghost in the Shell

Cowboy Beebop

If you liked Moribito (great taste, by the way) how about Kemono no Souja Erin? It's a bit slow, but the pay-off is great.

For sci-fi like elements, I'd recommend Kaiba. The end is a little weak in comparison, but it has one of the best world-building and really touching stories early on. Yuasa in general is great, his Kemonozume is a masterpiece.

Maybe Texhnolyze? Definitely also Serial Experiments Lain.

I also think that you'd like Jinrui was Suitai Shimashita. That one is a comedy and it doesn't have much of a story, but it's deceptively sweet while being a dark comedy at heart and it can get fairly inventive. The humor reminds me of less wordy Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei in the sense that it's about social conventions.

Uhh, I'm having a hard time understanding what type of anime you like. On the one hand you give me the impression that you're the type of guy to say anything beyond the late 80's to early 90's is shit. Berserk and cowboy bebop predated the stuff we have now and are universally liked, so they're no brainers. But people who usually express this opinion usually don't lump RWBY as *good* with the likes of berserk.

So I'll try my best
Trigun, great story. Its comedy serves as a mask for the main character and its story when it gets serious actually tests his way of life in a way most stories don't do nowadays. You often get to know the fight hungry or war mongerering main character who's living in a gang infested inner city neighbhorhood or perhaps leading a revolution. Seldom do you get a story where their moral compass is tested and pushed to the brink, in the way trigun did it.

Assassination classroom. Teaching kids through assassination. It's an odd concept that works super well. And the series has a lot of commentary on learning and the proper way to teach the next generation, while never out rightly saying it. On the outside it may appear to be a hentai trap or perhaps a silly show with no substance, but beneath its colorful exterior is a real story with continuity and life lessons.

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still. This show is really hard for me to describe for some reason but if you're at all into retrofuturistic sci-fi (think like uh Bioshock and Fallout) you'll seriously dig the style here.

It might seem a little campy from the first intro there but this show does not pull many punches and the storyline gets really wild.

If you enjoyed RWBY, then you might also like My Hero Academia. It's relatively new and the characters are rather enjoyable to watch as well. They're basically high schoolers living in a world where the majority of humans have super powers. Since being a super hero is an actual profession in this universe, the characters in this anime go to a school called UA Academy to become famous heroes. The humor is pretty charming and the whole tone of the first season is pretty upbeat. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back