• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Reckless Kings: Rumble in the Streets of New Atlantis

AtlannianSpy

Alarmed and Strangerous
QOEPGxO.png

Once a shining beacon of modern technology and international cooperation, New Atlantis is now an immense hive of crime effectively controlled by hundreds of crime lords, gangs and clannish secret societies. These "Reckless Kings" are currently only held back by their rivalries with each other. Should one of these groups ever rise to dominance over the others the situation may escalate completely beyond our ability to control it...

- Organized Crime in New Atlantis, 2016 white paper.

In 2030, global tensions surrounding dwindling fuel reserves were suddenly disrupted by the discovery of a startling new energy source. Named nexite by its discoverer, professor R. Kuril, this purple crystal is an immensely powerful, efficient and clean energy source. First discovered in Russia where it kicked off the great Russian boom, the desire to control nexite deposits sparked an immensely destructive war. Lasting from 2036 to 2046 the Nexite wars wreaked havoc across the globe, displacing millions of people including an up until then unknown group of people.

Magi.

Having remained in hiding for much of the modern era, mages were reintroduced to the world when it was discovered that the vast majority of nexite deposits were located beneath magical settlements. When these areas were fought over the residents were forced to abandon them although a few opted to try and fight they were quickly wiped out. The nexite war eventually ended in a rough stalemate, borders were redrawn, strategic nexite deposits were divided up between the two major alliances but the question remained as to how to handle the problem of magical refugees. In total almost 20 million magical peoples had been displaced by the conflict. Their former homes now vital strategic assets these people had to be relocated. Due to the potential danger even one mage could potentially pose and the high level of resentment produced by their forced resettlement in mundane society was considered too dangerous, a creative solution was necessary. That solution was New Atlantis. An enormous, artificial island built by the combined efforts of five countries, custom built to house 20 million refugees, although not a perfect solution it was the best the world could come up with.

Fast forward twenty years and New Atlantis has become a bustling megacity of almost thirty million people, its original population spurred on by migration and high birthrates. It has also became the world capital for organized crime. Conventional policing methods have proven totally inadequate for handling the abilities of a majority magical population and the city is largely controlled by various gangs and crime syndicates all vying for superiority. Although the existing power balance between the gangs has brokered an uneasy peace ancient feuds between the old gangs are on the verge of flaring up and the younger groups nipping at their heels are hungry for blood. New Atlantis is a kingdom of dynamite, ruled by reckless kings.

Hello there. What you just read is the pitch for an idea I've been chewing on for a while, in summary a vast, futuristic mega city ruled by gangs of mages and wizards all battling for supremacy. The rp would focus on a group of rookies forming their own Gang and rising through the ranks to attempt to become the most powerful force in the city. You players will determine the future if this gang, will you abide by a code of honor? protecting citizens from the depredations of your rivals in exchange for fair compensation? or will you ruthlessly pursue power and profit at any cost? As the scope of the RP widens you gang will grow in strength and numbers and you'll be able to command your underlings to attack targets and establish operations in your name.

If any of that sounds appealing say hello! We'd love to have you on board

Rules & Expectations

Please read and abide by all rules, if you have problem with them please feel free to discuss them in the OOC but they are for the most part pretty basic, common sense stuff so I don't expect to many issues.

• The RPN site rules are in effect: This is pretty obvious and everyone should be familiar with them but if you need a refresher Here is the link

• The GM and l Co-Gm's are in charge: That would be me, Ganryu Ganryu KageYuuki KageYuuki and Orikanyo Orikanyo . I'm always open to discussion, concern or just input but ultimately I'm going to be making the calls with the aim of keeping this RP as fun as possible for everyone.

• Remain respectful of your fellow RPers: Just be cool to each other, even if you have disagreements or find your personalities don't quite mesh to your best to remain civil and if you can't resolve any disputes to your mutual satisfaction I will step in.

• Your actions have consequences so think them through: This is a sandbox RP, you have great deal of freedom to determine the course of events and the paths of your characters but that doesn't mean you should necessarily do the first crazy thing that pops into your head. If you put care and effort into your plans and posts you WILL be rewarded with more power and awesome moment but if you're reckless and lazy then you'll have to contend with setbacks and failure.

• Let your voice be Heard: If you have a problem or just a suggestion or a great idea for the RP let me know! I can't do anything about if it stays in your head. You can post anything like that in the OOC but you're also free to PM me if you would rather speak privately, I'll do my best to stay on top of such correspondence

• No Godmodding: Broadly speaking godmodding refers to controlling someone else's characters by writing their reactions or confirming attacks on them in your own post. This isn't very fun to deal with for the other person and not conducive to good roleplaying. Don't ever do it to another player without their permission and don't do it to npcs without my or a Co GM's permission.

• Do your best in terms post length and quality: We are aiming for detailed with this RP, multiple paragraph responses with good spelling and grammar are ideal. We can be flexible about this to some extent, scenarios and situations just aren't conducive to long posts and sometimes people are tired or busy. But detailed responses give your RP partners more to work with and make you more fun to RP alongside so it's to everyone's benefit if we all do our best. If I feel like your responses are consistently lacking then I'll reach out and we can have a friendly chat about how to approach that.

• Follow the Character Creation guidelines: These are located in the character section, their intent is to help you create balanced, interesting characters that are fun to RP as and alongside and that fit into the setting in so far as it has been established. If your character doesn't meet these guidelines then we have a friendly chat about what sort of changes could be made, the emphasis being in finding a solution that gets as close as possible to the sort of character you want to play.

• Before you post your CS in the thread PM it to me and the other GM's! This one's important so don't forget it. Remember that's me, Ganryu Ganryu Orikanyo Orikanyo and KageYuuki KageYuuki

HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
announcements
  • We have an OOC, Lore and Character thread all ready to go! you can find the OOC here and easily navigate your way to the other pages from there. Be SURE to have a good read through the rules and lore and ask any questions you have here to be sure this is the right RP for you before you start making a character.

• There have been some slight modifications to the CS concerning equipment. Basically starting with magical equipment is a no go unless that equipment is important to your backstory and in those cases it has to start in a dormant state until other players unlock the ability to acquire some. Permanent enchantments are quite expensive in terms of money to keep maintained so your gang will have to acquire a stable source of income before you can really play around with them.

I also added a note to empathize that the core skills: Striking and Hardening particularly, govern your effectiveness with non magical equipment so keep that in mind while allocating your points.

I'm sorry to anyone who's been set back due to this oversight, looking forward to seeing those CSes everyone!

[/list[

Last edited:
Strong interest check - just the right balance of flavor, exposition, and pitch. Kudos. I'm also a fan of the premise, I love both organized crime stories and supernatural settings and here you've combined the two. I'm a little busy working on my own RP behind the scenes but I'll be sure to keep my eye on this.

I'd love to participate. I feel like everything about this RP was crafted to satisfy my current desires in role playing.

you all can find the CS in links found in the ooc, please remmber to pm us the characters before submitting them into the CS thread.

I'd say I'm interested, but kinda dragged here reguardless.

'sup all.

Glad to hear from everybody! Ori's right, you can check out the Character thread, you can find the lore thread as well and you'll want to take a look at that. It's a little dense but it'll help you really engage with the setting I hope.

character creation template mentions an apparently intricate established magical system without offering any explanation of its function in relevance to character creation whatsoever

either provide some source text covering magic as it works in your conworld or wait forever for applicants
This is mainly the new tab system making the links really tiny at the top. But we do have a full rundown on the basics of the magic system, casting, mana, grand and lesser schools, as well as some history.

Most of the confusion seems to come from the fact that I mistakenly copied the CS templates into the OOC thread so it was easy to see them and miss the nearby links to lore thread and the proper CS thread.

That's now been rectified so I'm sorry to anyone who was confused in the interim.

there have been some slight changes to the CS, check out the announcements post for more details.

Sorry for everyone who has to make changes due to this, I made a slight oversight while putting the CS together.

Is anybody working on Character sheets? if so it would be great if you could reach out and tell us where you're at with those.

if ur still accepting im in
it is always open, remember to send the comepleted CS to the four of us GMs, we will then giv ethe yay or nay before you are allowed to post it into the Cs thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back