• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Realms of Nymserine: Main Thread [[CLOSED]]

Thoughts of his own ceremony pulled Jastyr into the past only momentarily. His own vows rang through memory, the elation that bubbled within his soul then trickling through to the present as he stared, only to find his reminiscing break at the sight of Roland’s brand. The staff touched the man’s skin, ink magically slipping to form the Circle’s insignia, yet it glowed.

It glowed like it had never done before. Glances were exchanged among the onlookers, confusion laden in words both unspoken and whispered to those within close vicinity. This was not bad, at least to his own knowledge, for it did not present itself as sinister. But it was abnormal, peculiar, and just as intriguing that the newest band of recruits had such an array of questionable individuals.

Jastyr stroked the whiskers above his lip with the side of his finger, twisting them at the end slowly as he mulled over those who had been celebrated in the ceremony. “The dark and the light,” he murmured to himself. “Hmph. Perhaps this is a good omen.”

Eyes trailing down the line, he looked at those he had spoken to earlier, and those still yet unfamiliar. Even just as recruits they looked strong willed and capable. Jastyr knew what would come next, or rather apart from the trial of the alleged murderer. It was she who would likely need to prove herself twice over after such a display.

The applause, while it had faltered, still continued amongst the murmurs, and Jastyr removed himself from his introspection to join in the respects.

The ceremony ended and the people began filing back through the doors into the main hall, going their separate ways. Some of them shot lingering looks at Verity and the others... Certainly this event wasn't normally this exciting. The king stood and stepped to the side, whispering to Maximus for a moment while the woman with the sword approached the newly inducted members.

"Welcome" She said warmly. Despite her sharp eyes that looked like they could cut through steel with a glance, she seemed kind. Wrinkles and laugh lines marked her face, intermingling with thin, white scars. "My name is Meredith Blackburn. I'm one of the elders of the circle." Verity bowed to her, genuinely pleased to be able to meet another such high-ranking member. "A pleasure to meet you," Verity beamed. She had to crane her head to look up at the woman. Verity knew she was rather short for an elf, but this woman was very tall for a human.

"Maximus will get you set up with your mentors and your first assignment shortly," she said, turning to look behind her shoulder at Maximus and the king. The two of them broke away and the king made a grand exit with his guards. As he passed them he gave them all a nod of acknowledgment before leaving the room. Maximus watched him leave before turning his attention to the group. He smiled at Meredith. "Thank you, Elder Blackburn. That was a beautiful ceremony."

The old woman rolled her eyes and snorted, carefully sheathing the oath sword. "I don't know if i'd describe it that way, Maxy, but it was interesting to say the least." her eyes flicked to Azaria for a second before she smiled and also walked out of the room. Maximus looked a little irked by being called Maxy, but he otherwise smiled at them and gestured for the Satyr they met earlier, as well as another gryphon woman Verity didn't know, to come over.

BugDozer73 BugDozer73 SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz Lekiel Lekiel Reis Reis Effervescent Effervescent

Last edited:
Pyrrhus hadn't noticed the other new recruit. He must have come earlier than they had. He took his oath and when he went to retake his place in the crowd the centaur gave him a friendly wave to call him over.

Pyrrhus' smile faded when the stern woman approached. He shifed uncomfortably, despite her gaze passing over him altogether. He dipped his head in silent greeting to Blackburn, following Verity's lead.
When the woman passed a critical eye over Azaria Pyrrhus took a protective step in front of his friend. He still didn't fully understand what that had been about, but he was sure most in the room hadn't come out on Azaria's side.

At the gesture Tura peeled from the wall, padding almost silently across to them. Her black feathers soaked up the light, making her look like a living shadow. Pyrrhus marveled at how large the gryphon was up close. Her back came almost level with his and though he was still a good head and shoulders taller, her intense, predatory gaze made him feel very small indeed.
She stoped behind Blackburn and looked over her head at the new recruits, feathered ears perked, purple eyes glinting like gemstones.
"So," her voice was deep, commanding and velvet-smooth, edged with a soft, rumbling growl, "these children are what we've been given to work with? We'll see how long they last."
Her eyes flicked momentarily to Roland, boring into him for a split second before fixing on Maximus cooly. If she had noticed anything unusual about the ex-pirate, she didn't reveal it.
"What did you have in mind to start with..'Maxy'?"

Reis Reis Purize Purize Zazz Zazz BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Effervescent Effervescent

Jastyr was one that lingered after the culmination of the ceremony. All new recruits were christened into the order and marked per tradition. Elder Blackburn greeted them less formally, her voice lowered only for those within close vicinity. He turned his eyes away, watching as the veterans filed out of the room or continued their conversations in quiet banter as they munched on the leftovers of the feast. His fingers brushed the strings pulled taught above the wood of his dulcimer, debating on a tune as he waited. Something told him to wait, his intuition sharp after having witnessed a few of these ceremonies in his time with the Circle. Perhaps this was his opportunity to move up and become a mentor.

And as he struck a chord, Maximus beckoned him over with a swoop of his hand, clasping the air with command as if to hold an invisible rope that pulled him from his seat and ushered him forward in obedience. Each hoof carried a rhythm, steady and distinct, that set the beat for his quiet tune he played upon approach. A smile adorned his features warmly, head inclining to the Elder Blackburn first before turning the gesture to Maximus on release. "Lovely as always," he said, and then looked to the newest members of the Circle. "And a bit of a thrill, if I may say. Congratulations once again to you all. How may I be of service?"

Azaria, unlike the others, made no move to bow her head, instead meeting the elder's steely gaze with her own piercing one. It was clear from the whispers going around that she was not entirely welcome among their ranks, and she had no doubts as to why. She did note her friends' rather blind support for her, and while she wanted to roll her eyes at their naivety, it warmed her heart, just a little. When Pyrrhus stepped forward, she shook her head with a small smile and buried her fingers in his soft fur.

She also noticed Maximus's discomfort with the situation. She wondered what it was, precisely, that troubled him the most. Why was he defending her, He hardly knew her. She had killed what was likely his friend. She hardly needed another debt to repay.

Jastyr, the satyr from earlier, to whom she had not yet introduced herself, and a large beast joined them as people trickled out. Azaria eyed them both, evaluating their stances, their physical strength, and the way they both moved, just as she would with anyone new. She noticed the way the gryphon eyed Roland, and tried very hard not to roll her eyes.

Maximus cleared his throat, shooting exasperated, but amused look at Tura. Clearly, he'd never live down the nickname. "Tura Amalta and Jastyr Demorian. I feel it best that you two take charge of mentoring our newest recruits. I trust you can go into more detailed introductions later. Your methods are your own on how you go about teaching them," He smiled at Tura, giving her a knowing look. "But go easy on them."

"You can take them to the courtyard and have a test of their skills, see what they can do and how they fight. Whatever you choose, but I would like you both to lead them out for their first assignment before nightfall." Maximus continued, pulling an folded piece of parchment from his shirt pocket. He handed it to Tura, but nodded at both of the mentors before him, his face going serious. "There's an incident we need to take care of outside of Akron, the details are in that letter. It will be a good first experience for them and to show them how we do things." He nodded to them both before returning his attention to the group of recruits.

Verity stood among her friends, watching Maximus and the two other members with intent fascination. Even with Tura's condescending tone, she felt more and more excited to get started. She was used to doing things on her own, getting them done her own way. But this was different, now she works in teams, with people... with rules. She felt chucked to the bottom of the food chain, but her blood boiled, demanding to get to the top. If there was anything she was sure of, it was that she would try her hardest in every task given to her. Tura's eyes challenged her, and she accepted.

The satyr, Jastyr, that they'd met earlier also seemed like an experienced and well-pronounced warrior. There was a softer look to his expression. He seemed more lighthearted and free-spirited, but definitely not in a soft push-over sort of way. Verity took to him instantly.

Maximus stepped around them, and over to Azaria. "Can I speak with you for a moment, Miss Eldrvarya?" He glanced to Pyrrhus, noticing his protectiveness. "Just for a moment, and then you can rejoin your friends."

Zazz Zazz Effervescent Effervescent SilverFlight SilverFlight

Azaria, who had been staring at the bushy browed man, nodded. She smoothed Pyrrhus's fur and stepped around him, following Maximus off to the side. She did not let his imposing stature sway her confident demeanor. "Yes?"

Maximus crossed his arms in front of his chest and took a deep breath. "The king has given me the freedom to deal with this investigation the way I wish." He paused for a moment, searching her face. "I feel it's best that you stayed here at headquarters until we get this settled. I will need to know everything you knew about Döthrangus and his possible motives." His eyes drifted a little as if he was trying to think.

"His majesty has confidence that you may have saved his life... And while he may or may not be right, I'm inclined to get to the bottom of this." He opened his mouth to say more, but refrained. "You're not a prisoner here unless you give us a reason to be. I'm putting my trust in you... I hope you'll cooperate." He held out his hand for her to shake. His arms were dark and tanned, coils of muscle flexing beneath the skin mapped by faint scars.
Zazz Zazz

Azaria looked up at him as he spoke, watching the way the man of power hesitated with his words. She found him honest, and she couldn't begin to understand why he was blindly trusting her. What was with people, lately?

Hesitantly, she shook his hand. While he trusted her, apparently, she had a hard time trusting anyone. She had lost that privilege long ago. "I will. I admit, I don't know much of the man nor his motives, but I will tell you what I know." A thought occurred to her and she added, "Have his belongings been touched? Perhaps some information might be hidden among his personal possessions."

Tura eyed the parchment Maximus held out to her, not being in the best form to take it.
In a breath the spell wreathed her, black smoke and etherial feathers faded as her form shrank down into a tall, sharp-featured woman. Pyrrhus noted her violet eyes looked no less predatory in a human's face. She took the scroll and read it carefully, the only indication of concern a slight crease between her eyebrows.
"Of course," Tura confirmed, "They'll be ready to go before the end of the day."
She handed the the note to Jastyr so he too could read.
"Don't worry Maximus, this bunch looks toguher than the last one, I don't think I'll make them cry."
With that she rounded on the collection of intiates, glare hard as diamond.
"Listen up neophytes. You likely think you're quite something for passing the trials. Real hero material. Well kittens, that was level zero. Now that you've graduated the nursery its time for the real work to begin. It is my job to take your raw, dirt covered abilities and forge them into solid steel. Usable weapons for the circle. You will learn to use your abilities in ways you've never thouht possible. You will learn to work together so closely you won't even need to speak to coordinate. You will be made into the best possible fighters this world has ever seen. So, shall we begin?"
She turned on her heel with a swift gesture for them to follow, and that was that.
BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Purize Purize Effervescent Effervescent Reis Reis Lekiel Lekiel

Pyrrhus swallowed as he watched Tura's back receeding down the hall. It was just then he noticed Azaria wasn't with the group anymore. He cast about for her, finding her in hushed conversation with Maximus. He gave her a look of genuine concern as he came up to her.
"Aren't you coming?"
Zazz Zazz
~~~

Tura led them through a set of white double doors and from there down a long corridor. Along the walls there were artworks: paintings and busts of past heroes of the circle. Human, elf, dwarf and many other races were depicted there, lit in the full splendor of their finest moments. One of the last paintings featured three heroes, locked in combat with a deadly chimera. A familiar black-winged gryphon swooped over the roaring lion's head, her wings lit up with threads of electricity.

At the end of the corridor the doors opened onto the courtyard, but if the group was expecting a normal yard, they would be thoroughly surprised.
The space was massive, with a variety of terrains dispersed from wall to wall: sandy hills lapped at the edge of a forested basin, a pit slick with mud sat by a pool set with straight, stone pillars jutting up ten feet out of the water. Pyrrhus marvelled at the space, concluding that it must all be made and maintained by magic.

Tura sauntered to a set of small stone steps raised by the pool of water. The steps ended in thin air but at the level of and a few feet away from the first stone pillar, which was only about the width of a human foot. The pool was littered with them, standing straight as reeds. If one was nimble, they could jump from pillar to pillar without falling into the pool.
A glyph set into the floor began to glow.
"Ophelia, Stormblade, step forward. Let us see what you can do."
The glyph grew white with energy and then something rose from it and solidified. Where the glyph had been stood a strange, glowing creature, similar to a monkey but the size of a small child. Its tail was so long it curled several times around its crouched form. Tura took a small blue gem from her pocket and held it out to the creature, who snatched it greedily and sprang from the ground straight to the first pillar, jumping along them unbelievably fast until it was bouncing on the central one. It waggled its rear at them in a rude taunt.
"Retrieve the gem," Tura told them simply, "without falling into the pool."
BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Purize Purize Effervescent Effervescent Reis Reis Lekiel Lekiel Zazz Zazz

As they made their way to the Courtyard, Jastyr took the time to study the recruits, though his mind lingered on Azaria’s private trial. Pyrrhus had held back for the woman despite there being no guarantees Azaria would be proven innocent of her crime and allowed to continue on as a member of the Circle. It marked a friendship that he knew he could not ignore, and one that could affect the disposition of the centaur upon verdict. Bonds like that arguably made organizations like the Circle stronger, though, and so Jastyr hoped the woman would pull through and move past the murder.

When Tura presented the assessment task for Verity and Roland, he began to look elsewhere for another course. Eventually he knew Pyrrhus would return, but likely only with Azaria at his side. It would be the halfling and the rather lanky looking red head at the ready, both of which he hadn’t the chance to meet.

And so he turned to face them, his formerly lighthearted demeanor now hardened with professionalism as he spoke. “Fernwe and Regnus, correct?” he asked, eyeing them over more fully and objectively in his silent assessment. “While your comrades embark on their task, and while we await the other two to return, I would like for you to follow me.”

With his arms behind his back, he walked over to another section of the Courtyard a few yards away from the muddy pool. Rings sectioned off by short stone walls and rounded into the earth with hardened, impacted dirt were arranged in a circle of themselves around a larger arena. Jaster chose one of the unoccupied rings and walked over to a glyph, similar to the one Tura had activated moments before.

“There’s an ogre agitating a nearby village seemingly without a reason,” he began to explain, setting the tone for what was to come. “He’s become particularly violent after a farmer tried to shoo him off his garden. So now not only is he destroying this poor man’s garden, but he’s just not calming down. Reasoning with a heated ogre is quite an undertaking, as I’m sure you are aware.”

With a surge of magic, the glyph was activated, and from it emerged the silhouette of a brutish ogre that solidified, standing twelve feet tall and carrying a club made from the stony pillar of a rather ancient appearance. “The Circle was called to help defuse the situation and either rid of the ogre or send him back home in peace,” he continued, and motioned outward to present their new foe who stomped about the small arena, beginning his fit. “Handle the situation as you see fit.”

With another wave of his hand, magic flowed to sprout little buds from the earth that grew into rows of cabbages and vines of tomatoes at a rapid pace. “Oh,” Jastyr said, “and do mind the farmer’s garden.”

Reis Reis Lekiel Lekiel SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz

Maximus's eyes lingered on Azaria's hand as they shook before letting his fall back to his side. He could feel her observing him, profiling him. Not that he minded, of course he searched people's behaviors as well. At her suggestion, his eyebrows furrowed, his hands crossing across his chest again thoughtfully. "No... I believe his quarters are still the way he left them. I doubt anyone has gone in there since his death." He shrugged. "I guess we'll start there, then."

He turned at Pyrrhus approached and Maximus waved a hand, dismissing her. "Go catch up with your friends. We will start the investigation when you're done with training." With a nod to both of them, he stepped away, walking out to the main hall and disappearing around a corner.

Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

At Tura's lovely introduction, Verity rose an eyebrow, wondering when the Circle suddenly became the military. She supposed her speech was supposed to be provoking and demeaning, but the princess was used to those who figured leadership was established by dominance and a sense of self importance. Her uncle was much worse about it... at least with Tura she could put it down to her honest, tough personality rather than simple bigotry and hatred.

She followed along behind Tura and Jastyr, still oggling at everything they passed. Ever since she was a little girl she'd always been obsessed with stories and epics that retailed myths of gallant heros and mysterious legends. She let herself dream and try to imagine those far away places and chivalrous warriors. She was never allowed outside of the castle, so those stories were her only windows to the world beyond. Now that she'd seen most of Nymserine and traveled along the paths of her favorite childhood characters, she realized that the real world wasn't as marvelous as those fantasies. Outside the gates of Shylanora she had witnessed much beauty indeed... but with it came the bad and the ugly. The Balance of life was everywhere. Being blind to one side of the scale didn't mean it didn't exist. She remembered this as she walked through the gilded halls of the Circle. Even while her surroundings fascinated her and she reveled in the presence of the powerful, she knew the beauty was built upon pain and sacrifice.

As they reached the courtyard, she let out a soft "oh" of surprise. It was unlike any sort of training yard she'd ever seen before. Some more accomplished guilds she'd visited had things like targets and archery ranges and battered sacks of flour for punching bags... but this... This was magical. Verity dedicated at least a few hours everyday to training until recently. Among her new company, she hadn't found the time, but at the sight of the obstacle courses and the gear all around her, her blood pumped and magic buzzed at the tips of her fingers, itching to run around and try it all.

Tura led them to a pond with long, narrow poles that poked out of the water and reached upward like claws. She watched as the monkey danced around the top of the poles swiftly and lightly, clutching the gem close to its body. It reminded her much of the time she had slept in the Carpathian Forest and some bonobos thought it'd be great fun to take her things and dance among the trees above her, just out of reach. It took a good hour to get it all back. This monkey however, looked more keen and nimble than the average bonobo.

With a challenging smile at Roland, she leapt up to the first pole, one foot tiptoeing on the wood. "Let's see which of us gets it first, eh sea legs?"

SilverFlight SilverFlight BugDozer73 BugDozer73

Last edited:
Azaria's eyes followed the movement of his muscly arms as they crossed over a broad chest. They flickered up to his face when he spoke, his bushy brows furrowing. She heard the centaur's hooves before he spoke, and she nodded to Maximus before turning to her four-legged friend. "Yes, let's go. Where are the others?"

Together, Pyrrhus and Azaria followed after the group, a little further back. She told him briefly what Maximus had said, that she was to stay behind while the rest went on their first mission. She didn't go into detail, in case they were overheard and someone meddled with Döthrangus's rooms. As they came to the courtyard, Azaria took in the expanse of the training grounds, the back of her neck prickling at the sheer amount of magic around her. Gritting her teeth, she walked forward with Pyrrhus at her side. Verity was balanced on a thin pillar in a pond, along with a monkey waving a gem, and over by Jastyr, Fernwe and Soliel were about to take on an ogre. Azaria took in a deep breath of fresh air and waited for instruction, twirling a dull throwing knife between her fingers.

"The others went through there," said Pyrrhus, gesturing to the hall. Pyrrhus frowned as he listened to Azaria speak.
"I don't like it." He stated firmly, crossing his arms over his bare chest in a gesture that was part concern and part sulk. "We'll be far away, what if they decide you're a criminal? We won't be able to help you."
He could tell by the look on her face that she had already decided on staying and sighed in defeat. "Just promise me that if things start to go South, you'll get out. You can never trust nobles." He considered her from a sideways glance and then added: "I'll protect Verity with my life while you're away."
He let the silence stretch as they strode through the Hall of Heroes, Pyrrhus let his gaze drift across the many faces shown.
Then, to break the somber mood he said:
"Gods but Jastyr has a beautiful face, did you notice?" He asked her in earnest, but considering that even if she had, the revelation would mean little to her.
"...I noticed." He confirmed sheepishly.

When they arrived at the training ground Pyrrhus needed a moment to take it all in. Verity was already beginning her challenge when Azaira and The centaur stopped before the dark-haired woman.

The monkey-creature screeched with delight when Verity leapt to the top of the poles and darted backward over four of them, using a combination of hands, feet and tail to move effortlessly across the spaces. It was clear in that moment that no human or elf would be able to match its speed or agility without augmentation. They would need a plan.

Tura looked on, face unreadable. She turned slightly when the last pair arrived.
"Looks like you'll be tested together." She left Verity and Roland briefly to introduce Pyrrhus and Azaria to their challenge.
She led them to a square arena, peppered with rocks of every shape and size. It made flat sprinting near impossible, though climbing them may provide apossible height advantage over a foe. The glyph Tura touched this time spat forth a long shadow, which rose and grew, and continued to grow until it formed a thirty-foot serpent. The shadow snake hissed angrily, revealing wickedly-sharp fangs. Suddenly its head convulsed and split in two, creating a pair of deadly heads when before there was just one. It slithered into the rock maze to await its prey.
"A basilisk has been tormenting a small canyon town. To take it out you must hit it in its weakpoint between the eyes of either head, but be careful, if you meet its gaze you'll be petrified. The spell put on the glyph puppet will mimic the effect."
Pyrrhus swallowed and glanced at Azaria with uncertainty. He drew his blades and shifted from foot to foot, flicking his tail in anticipation.
"Any ideas?"
Zazz Zazz Purize Purize @ all present

A smile played at her lips even as Azaria rolled her eyes at Pyrrhus's reaction. They had barely spent any time together and here he was, worrying about her. It was sweet, really. Stupid, but sweet. "I will be fine, Pyrrhus. I have already escaped this place before, I can easily do it again." When he vowed to look after Verity, she looked up at him with gratitude.

Outside, Tura Amalta led the two friends to their first training session. If Azaria was concerned about the giant, poisonous, two-headed beast, she didn't show it. Her gaze swept over the landscape, taking note of the larger boulders. "Kill it." She scuffed her shoe in the dirt, frowning down at the mark left behind. "I can shoot it blind, but not if I'm running from it." The basilisk would no doubt overtake her. "But... you can run faster." She rubbed the tattoo on her face, sharp, intimidating brows pulled together. "I can take the shot if you will allow me to ride on your back."

It was all just a little much.

But she loved it!

Fernwe could not help but maintain a stupid grin on her face from the moment Maximus introduced them to their mentors, explaining all that super duper important stuffs that Fernwe still could not grasp how she could be a part of, the tour to the training grounds, up till the point Jastyr introduced them to...

"BOOGER!" Fernwe let out a delightful tinkle of laughter, pointing at the bumbling Ogre as if she had just met a long lost friend. Her brown eyes sparkled as she turned to the towering satyr, both of her tiny fists clenched in excitement by her cheeks.

"He reminds me so much of this Troll I met!" Fernwe exclaimed excitedly. "But this ones FATTER! BAHAH!" Then her eyes widened as Jastyr proceeded to fill the little arena with various vegetation. "You're a grovekeeper too!!! By Adamine's bountiful bosoms, I'm so glad you picked me!" She almost ran to hug the grey eyed fairfolk, but quickly thought the better of it, settling instead for an overly excited hop-on-the-spot. It was uncommon enough to see a familiar face so fair from home. Even rarer still to see them displaying the magical enchantments of the forests. Fernwe turned back to consider the Ogre with a tilt of her head, then turned to look at the young fiery haired human, offering him a dimpled smile, before turning back to the Satyr. She cleared her throat and walked up to place the arena at her back. Dipping a curtsy as if she was about to put on a little play, she began.

"Well, Ser Jastyr. T'was fortunate that you called upon the gallant Fernwe and her ferocious partner Finwinne of the many teeth-" The halfling's eyes shifted surreptitiously to the human. "and also, this mighty young warrior..- Lord Firehair!" Fernwe thumped a fist to her chest as she took a step backwards to the arena. "It will be an honor to save poor... Mister Tomato and Missus Cabbage from this rampaging stinky troll- I mean Ogre!"

"Now if you'll take a step back, Ser Jastyr, we've got a Booger to pick!" Fernwe finished with a bow. "We're up, Finny!" Fernwe reached into her pouches, and produced a crumpled wad of dried herb stuff, flicking it over to the tikitooth who gobbled it up in no time. Almost immediately, the feline's body began to morph. Large leathery wings sprouted from its back as the cat grew to the size of a leopard. Her sleek coat gleamed in the morning sun as Finwinne let out a growl, baring daggerlike fangs. She crouched on her hind legs before quickly springing into the air, large leathery wings flapping powerfully. Fernwe took off after her in a run, heading towards the walls of the arena. As she neared, the halffairy reached out to the surrounding vines and plants, gesturing as wispy emerald trails of magic danced around her fingers.

"Ná, istan quete merenyala!" At once, the flora burst into life. It's deep green vines thickening in an instant and twisting into the air as if it were a living serpent. Fernwe leaped into the air as the vines caught her feet and bore her up and over the wall. Fernwe landed in a patch of cabbages a few yards away from the Ogre. She picked a head of cabbage and tossed it at the Ogre's stupid face. The moonchild let out an enraged roar as it saw the halfling, spraying green spittle all over the little enclosure. With its large club dragging behind, it charged forward intent on squashing the puny halfling. Fernwe's held her ground until the last moment, skipping out of the way as a huge foot came crashing down inches from where she stood.

"Distract him Finny! But don't hurt him.. too much."

The Ogre grunted in rage when it realized the puny annoying thing hadn't turned to pulp. It was about to swing its club when suddenly, a dark shadow swooped in and a long gash seared across its face.

Effervescent Effervescent Reis Reis

Roland had eye'd the griffon when it had sauntered out from the shadows, but his mouth almost dropped when she turned into a human. With silent amazement, he followed the woman with Verity out to the training yard, keeping an eye on her should she shift into something else even more strange and magical.

Outside in the training yard was an array of magically inclined areas each honing different skills. Tura led them both to a pool of water with several posts sticking out of the surface, and she willed forth a monkey of sorts after touching a rune. The monkey was given a blue gem and began leaping from pole to pole as Roland looked on with amazement.

Roland looked at Verity with a sly grin. "Sea legs? Oh, you clearly don't know me well yet, Silverado." Roland stepped back and then ran forward, extending his body through the air so that he landed hands first and he perched on a pole with ease. It swayed slightly beneath his weight, but he seemed unfazed. "I grew up on ships: This is literally my entire childhood in a game." He winked at her and took off, leaping from pole to pole, shifting from one foot to another and he began to pursue the monkey. To Roland, the world seemed to melt away, back into the ship yards of his past where he would leap from mast to mast to outrun local authorities. Roland sprung forward, the monkey almost right in his hands before it darted to the right.
Panic filled Rolands expression as he flew past the pole, hurtling towards the water. Only a moment of flying though and he caught a pole closer to its base, but above the water. He let out a sigh of relief and hauled himself back to the top of the post, looking for where the monkey had scampered off to.

Purize Purize SilverFlight SilverFlight

Pyrrhus started to grin at Azaria's suggestion.
"I think I can keep you from getting hit, and get you into a position to take out its eyes." He held out a hand to help her onto his back.
"Let's go catch a snake. Hold on tight!"
The boulders did prevent Pyrrhus from going into a full gallop, he was forced to spring like a deer, changing angles with each bound while maintaining as fast a speed as he could. He caught glimpses of the creature through the labyrinth of rock but took care not to look at its faces directly. Pyrrhus got in close and the basilisk turned on a dime, bracing its body against the rocks to gain speed and momentum. Pyrrhus then realised with a sinking feeling that the terrain gave the snake a huge mobility advantage. It struck too quickly for Pyrrhus to turn and avoid it. In a split second decision he jumped straight up.
In the desert he had often seen mongoose fighting snakes. When they dodged a strike it was always up.
The manoeuver worked and savage jaws closed on thin air, inches away from his feet, but snakes were one-headed in nature and so Pyrrhus didn't think of the second head in that moment bearing down on them.
Zazz Zazz

The monkey creature given to Verity and Roland had darted clear of both trainees and seemed to be howling with laughter on a pillar twenty feet from both. It tossed the gem up and caught it, gnashing pointed teeth at them.
The pool was about as large as a wheat field and there was ample room for the creature to run from the pair of them simultaneously. If they kept trying to chase their quarry with their bare hands it was clear they would not succeed.
Tura had returned to the pool at that point and witnessed Roland's near failure.
"I thought you were fighters!" She taunted the pair of them, "Don't tell me you're having trouble getting a rock from an ape!"
BugDozer73 BugDozer73 Purize Purize

Lord Firehair...

Sol grinned at his new, short companion. He couldn't deny his like for this Circle thing. He joined because of his calling for exploration, hoping to travel all over these exciting lands and do good along the way. Already he was impressed by what he saw. Sol had never seen a room like this before. Sure, his hometown had all kinds of magical locations, but gathering the magic in such a unique way was awe-inspiring to the young adventurer.

He watched the halfling worked in perfect synchrony with her magically enhanced companion. For a moment he stood still, watching the combo that was unleashed onto the ogre. At some point he drew his weapon and approached the ogre, wondering how to get a good hit in while the fierce duo attacked. It wasn't like he could dish out fire magic onto their opponent, that might burn the farmer's crops and cause him even more trouble. How could he help get this ogre to go away?

During their attack, however, Sol came to a stunning realization. The ogre only became violent after the farmer tried to shoo him off his garden...doesn't that mean he'll go away if he gets what he wants? Sol grabbed a cabbage from the floor, hoping he wasn't violating the rules or something. He then showed expert control of his magic as he charred the cabbage, creating an tenderly grilled delicacy without even needing kitchen tools. Jumping between the violent foes, Sol even closed the moonchild's wound and sheathed his weapon, hoping to look as friendly as possible before his negotiation.

"Excuse me!!! If you go away, I'll give you ten expertly burnt cabbages, along with one free sample before you leave!!!" He unleashed his ultimate move, Sunny Grin <= made up, which showed his mastery over Aurora's god-given powers. It apparently radiated an aura of kindness and warmth into the rampaging creature. Sol could see that it felt hurt and angry that it wasn't getting what it wanted. Maybe, just maybe, it would see Sol as a benevolent saint who wanted peace on both sides of this battle. After receiving what it sought and more, perhaps the ogre would peacefully turn around and leave.

Azaria took his hand and mounted the centaur backwards, gripping his sides with her legs to keep herself on board. Quickly, she tied up her hair as Pyrrhus took off and bounded through the rocky labyrinth. Despite the sound of strong hooves hitting the ground, she could faintly hear the slither and hiss of the two-headed snake. First she drew her bow, but thought better of it. There was no way she would get a distant shot; the basilisk was closing in too fast. It was traded for throwing knives.

Eyes closed, her heart jumped with Pyrrhus and she leaned to the side to chuck a knife at the head below them. She opened her eyes as it struck the snake's left eye, and when she looked forward again, she was met with an open maw. Eyes wide, she did the only thing she could and jumped off of her friend mid-air towards the second head. She swung around its scaly neck and held on, raising a dagger to thrust through its head between the eyes.

A pleased expression etched across Jastyr’s face as Fernwe and her companion took to the challenge with gusto. She displayed a comfortable knowledge in her magic, using it to her advantage against such a massive foe by comparison proving herself to be a quick thinker, and a smart one to boot. A head of cabbage flew through the air by the halfling’s hand, colliding with the ogre’s face with a force that took him off guard. Aggrivation overtook the ogre as he charged towards Fernwe in a mild rage, foot impacting the earth only moments after she spritely moved out of the way. Cabbages and tomatoes were the only casualties to befall the stomping foot eliciting a wince from Jastyr’s teeth.

“Ah, the garden!” he reminded. Finny the tikitooth swooped down through the air with its newly sprouted wings, claws at the ready to slash down across the ogre’s face. For a brief moment, the newly created wound glistened with the magic from the glyph before solidifying into its newly acquired gash. The ogre swatted his hands through the air at Finny as if to shoo away a bothersome fly.

Soleil Regnus seemed to be holding back, but he made no comment of it. Calmly, Jastyr watched, yet kept the recruit in his peripheral to gauge the young man’s body language. He looked more thoughtful and more hesitant out of thinking than of fear. He took steps towards the ogre, sword drawn at the ready, yet he still did not attack. What was it that gave him pause?

Sol plucked one of the unsullied cabbages from the garden, searing it with his magic as an offering as he pressed onward towards the agitated ogre. A roar escaped the ogre’s maw in pain as his wound was also seared shut, cries bursting accompanied by fat tears that rolled down his cheeks. His swatting only grew more pressing as he wished for Finny, and now Sol, to be gone from his presence entirely.

At first, his words fell on deaf ears as the ogre cried and swung out with his makeshift club. In fact, the ogre didn’t hear a word as he focused entirely on the pain and sat down in the middle of the garden with more cabbages and tomatoes crunching and spurting at the sudden weight. It wasn’t until he opened his eyes and saw Sol presenting the grilled cabbage that the blubbering simmered down to sniffles. Reaching out with his sausage like fingers, the ogre hesitantly plucked the cabbage from Sol’s hand. Turning the gift over between his fingers, he eventually sucked it into his mouth whole and chewed as he looked at the red headed giver grinning brightly at him. A grin slowly spread on his own lips, exposing a snaggled array of yellowed teeth as he guffawed at his giver of grilled cabbage.

Individually, Jastyr felt most certainly he got an understanding of the two and their tactics. “It seems you’ve both subdued the ogre,” Jastyr called out to the pair. “But at the cost of the garden. Tell me, the both of you, if you could do the challenge over again, what would you do differently?”

Reis Reis Lekiel Lekiel

Time seemed to slow down. The snake's maw gaped at him. He felt Azaria leap from his back, her momentum pushing him down. The fangs would catch him even so. In mid air he twisted, bringing his hind legs tight under his body. As Azaria swung onto the creature's head, knives poised he aimed his hooves and kicked the creature's chin. Its mouth snapped shut, head jerking up from the force of the blow, driving the assassin's strike deep through bone and into the vital point. The light left the basilisk's eyes before Pyrrhus hit the ground, which he did, hard, with shoulder and back landing straight onto the second head. He felt something tear in his shoulder, felt pain lance up his body. When the dust settled he lay there for just a moment, teeth gritted against the hurt. He rolled his legs under him with a groan. His right hind foot tingled slightly and it was only then he realized the numbness creeping up it. A small gash had been left where the basilisk's fang had grazed him.
Slowly he forced himself up, breath ragged.
"Well, that was a close one."

Tura had been watching them from where she stood by the pool.
She beckoned them over with a subtle gesture.
Pyrrhus swallowed, muscles tensing at the prospect of walking that little way. His shoulder was on fire but he tried his best to keep a straight face. As soon as he reached the mentor however she held up one finger, then pressed it hard where Pyrrhus had torn his muscle. The pain sent him to the ground with a yelp.
"Reckless. And you are also dead."
From his place in the dirt Pyrrhus could see her pointing to the slash on his ankle. Of course a real basilisk bite could kill in seconds. His breath left him in a sigh and he let his body relax...the harpy had a point.
Zazz Zazz

Azaria bent her knees to soften her landing as the magic snake withered away to dust. The halfling collected her blade and followed the centaur to their mentor, noting his awkward walk. Azaria wielded a dagger when Tura sent Pyrrhus to the ground and nearly snarled at her. She refrained, however, and crouched to examine his hind leg. "You... Pyrrhus, there's venom..." She reluctantly looked up to Tura for guidance.

Verity giggled at Roland, watching him leap up onto the poles with her and take them with easy stride. He moved as fluidly as water, his boots finding familiarity on the narrow stocks. Where he was much more clumsy on solid ground, he practically danced now with a grace she'd only seen once before on Greuwn's ship. She watched him, trance-like for a moment, before he nearly fell off and plummeted to the pond below. So much for grace...

She snapped out of her reverie and focused on the task at hand. "Roland! Are you alright!?" She called as he righted himself, the monkey skittering away with ease. It's laughter rose into the air tauntingly and she shot it a glare as she skipped over to her seafaring friend.

"Just chasing after it won't work..." She told him, keeping her own balance on the precarious poles. She watched it as it moved, and squinted at the gem it held in it's fuzzy hands. It glittered in the light, dazzling in a way only precious stone could be. No wonder the monkey was so protective of it, it was rather shiny.

Verity gasped, shooting her hand out to catch Roland's shoulder, "That's it! Oh sorry..." She quickly let go of him, pushing him over wouldn't help either of them right now. She turned to him, a glint in her eye. She had an idea. "Remember the troll we caught when we first met?" She asked, her voice low... just in case the infernal thing could understand them.

"What if we used our magic again to lure it into your trap?"
BugDozer73 BugDozer73

Roland smiled at Verity with a reluctant smile, a little embarrassed as he pulled himself to his feet. "I'm fine." He offered her with a smile. She mentioned the troll from before, and Rolands eyes shimmered.

"Thats a good idea. Just give me a second to set it up."

Roland nodded at her and stood up straight, balancing as he stood on the poll. He shut his eyes and put his hands together, focusing on the mana flowing not far beneath the pole. In a moment the wind began to pick up, starting to swirl around Roland. The sky itself seemed to darken slightly, although he didn't seem to notice: he was too focused on creating the magic trap. His hands began to glitter subtly with green light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back