• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Ready Or Not

Daan

amor vincit omnia ༊*·˚
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
She landed another dart into the bullseye, a thunk! secured her another ten stacks in the bag. Her smirk couldn't have been wiped off by anyone. Some top-50s artist filled the empty club. The sound technicians were moving around the stage area, making sure everything was working correctly. Taking a swipe of her glass off the counter, the woman snapped back the remaining of the vice.

“V, Ren’s looking for you.” Amelia, the other bartender, spoke from behind the counter. She swiped V’s glass off the counter.

“Where are they?” V questioned.

“The office.” Amelia retorts, cleaning the cup out.

“Thanks, Ame.” V moves away from the bar, taking her sweet time across the dance floor toward the elevator that existed deep within the VVIP section. From there, she pressed the top button that took her to the fourth floor of the building. From the elevator, she could see the club until that disappeared from view and saw the mostly empty floors until she got to the top floor—the fourth floor. The glass doors opened to the vestibule, a mostly empty yet opulent resting area.

Passing paintings of people that clung to walls, cushioned chairs and sofas off to the sides of the small hall, with coffee tables on either side. Small chandeliers hung above, sparkling like diamonds filled the chandeliers, giving an expensive aura off. Without knocking on the door, she pulled it open to reveal a spacious room; a second pair of back-lit stairs that went to another level, which would be the office. Just below it was another bar, stocked to high heaven with expensive alcohol and wines. An L-shaped, warm-toned sofa was just a small way from the four other chairs that formed around a small table. In front of the sofa was a small coffee table. Just behind the sofa was another set of back-lit stairs that went off to presumably another room—technically, it was V’s office, though she was rarely there.

Climbing the stairs on the right-side of the room, V noted several changes in busts that were littered about the room. Ren must’ve made changes whilst she was away, something she didn’t mind since she rarely visited the office, anyway. Once she made it to the top, Ren sat behind a black, sleek desk with a chair to match. They were typing away on a glass top where a hologram of keys appeared, a glass monitor to match, sat off to the right side of their desk.

“Ves, take a seat while I finish this report up.” Ren speaks. The clinking of their nails is all that can be heard.

Ves does as asked, taking a seat on one of the plush, black sofas. She looked around to note several obvious interior changes but didn’t comment on it. Whenever she visited Ren’s office, they always made changes—honestly, it was something she couldn’t quite get about them.

“Alright, done.” Ren turns the keypad off to clasp their hands in front of them on the table.

“Ren, you owe me ten stacks.” Ves speaks first. Earning a raised a brow at her. “Well, cardboard-you owe me ten thou.” She smiles.

“Right. I’ll just Venmo you, should be easy-peasy.” Ren sarcastically remarks. “Anyway…” A small card is produced from their box off to the side, which slides with ease in front of Ves. “Liv wants to make a contract with you.” They say casually.

“Any deets?” Ves inquires, swiping the card off to see Olivia Echols, printed in gold with a personal number, fax, and work number on it.

“Y’know how this works. Client never tells me, they tell you.” Ren retorts.

“Olivia Echols. Can’t say I know her too well.” Ves inspects it further, turning the card over to find a symbol on it.

“She’s a fashion designer. Mostly mortal. She’ll likely be dead within the next ten years. She’s pushing 120 already.” Ren relays.

“Mostly?” Ves looks past the black card.

“Comes from a long line of witches, like Salem-kind of witches.” Ren pours themselves a drink.

“120? Echols will last maybe 150 or 200, if she’s one of the lucky few.” Ves comments before sticking the card into her pocket. “Did she say where to meet?”

“The address is here.” Ren pulls out their PDA, pulling up a map to rich-part of the city.

“Ah...I hate that part of town.” Ves skulks before grabbing the PDA to sync the coordinates to her own.

“Oh, and Ava’s making a visit tonight.” Ren smiles wryly.

Ava.” Ves echoes, making a deadpanned face. “Maybe I’ll take that sick day, y’know? Wouldn’t want to-”

“It’s mostly business, V. Wouldn’t want our top investor to pull out now, would we?” Ren’s smile grows wider.

“Not that I’m a big fan of your kind, Ren. You’re likely the only one I can tolerate long enough to run a business with.” Ves responds, taking that moment to stand.

“Hey, not all vamps. Remember.” Ren points at her with a knowing look.

“Whatever. Does Livvy wish to meet now? I have nothing going on today.”

“Yup.” Ren pops their ‘p.’ They take a swig of their vice. “Sooner the better, were her exact words. Better get a move along, V. V.”

“Right. See you for shift tonight...I guess.” She murmurs the last part.

Last edited by a moderator:

The clicking clacking of keyboards being pressed filled up the open office, along with dull chatterings of passing conversations. Business at the office has been pretty slow surprisingly. Matsu supposed he would feel grateful, if it wasn’t for the nagging knowledge that a lot of his coworkers in the SIB as of late have been throwing in the towel. He couldn’t show his concern here- not right now. Not that anyone would care whether one coworker was stressing more than normal, everyone had their own problems to deal with. Nevertheless, he had a job to do- whether it be his day job of figuring out standard cases, or his more discreet one- Matsu didn’t have time worrying about their failures.

Setting his jaw, Matsu rolled his shoulders as he pressed on through the boring work day.

As he was finally focused on whatever information he was dealing with on the eye straining glowing screen, he was interrupted by a tap on his shoulder. Matsu blinked away the haze that had somehow overtaken his vision, and spun his chair to face whoever had come to disturb him. He was faced by one of his higher ups- Jeremy. Straightening his back, he cleared his throat and made the previous scowl on his face into a neutral expression. Matsu was not in the mood to get in trouble today.

“The boss wants to see you. Best go now before I say anything about your attitude today.” Jeremy spoke in his usual bored tone, pointing a thumb over his shoulder at their boss’ office. With a nod, Matsu forced his stiff limbs to quickly jog over to the office, where some- no doubt- bad news was awaiting him. The boss never brought him in for anything else, unless it was a new case.

Knocking on the door, Matsu announced himself before letting himself in. He was still talking to someone over the office phone, so Matsu sat himself down in front of the mahogany desk as he waited for him to finish. Reading the engraved golden nameplate, Matsu had to inwardly roll his eyes.

Ethan Fleming
Chief of Police

Matsu never really liked the guy. Too egotistical for his taste. As the Chief finally hung up, he didn’t even bother a glance in Matsu’s direction before throwing over a red case file in his direction, instead focusing himself on some other files in his hands. Matsu picked it up, not inspecting too closely before his superior decided to speak up, eyes still away from him. “Since you seemed so bored as of late, your on the X case. “ Glancing his way, he tapped his finger on the desk, slightly smiling at the shock in Matsu’s expression. “You deal with it now, and don’t bother asking me to change it to someone else. The previous fellows of the SIB already tried that- before they decided to quit.” with one final tap, he sent Matsu out of his office, turning back to dial on the office phone. “Good luck with that! Let me know when you want to quit as well!”

As the door fell shut behind him, red file in hand, Matsu felt so screwed. No one knew anything about this case, but at the same time, everyone did. It spread around the SIB office like a wildfire, even someone like Matsu heard about how it was a fruitless case. Once he set his hands on the damned file, he knew his was doomed.

Once out of the club, Ves slipped on her shades. No amount of desert sun could win her over—the city of angels was another story, another adventure she wanted to embark. Alas, her work would remain unfinished for as long as she was alive. Can’t operate a club and expect money to grow on trees. The Haven might’ve not been what it was a decade ago, but it was relatively still popular, especially among the youth of mortals.

Her phone pinged to life, a new message alerting the shapeshifter. Ves pulled it from the confines of her purse, pulling out a small Nokia. A message from Ren;

Echols will be 30 mins late to the meeting. I suggest you check out Gabe; he wanted to speak with you about something—be cautious, he’s been in league with Medusa.

Who makes an appointment, only to be late to it?’ Ves questioned before stuffing her phone back into her purse. She made her way through the side alley that went to the back of the club, where her baby sat awaiting her arrival. One might expect it to fall apart unless they knew what they were doing and, in her case, Ves all the time in the world to pick up hobbies; learning was her forte. Once she approached the pristine Toyota AE86 Sprinter Thunder, a smile graced her lips.

Ves ran a manicured finger alongside the hood before climbing into the driver’s side. It purred to life. Amy Winehouse filled the car. She turned it down a bit. Usually she’d opt for the sport bike, the weather today disagreed with her. Having a scorching sun beating down on one’s back, wearing a full-set of leather- yeah, definitely wasn’t her day. The coolness of the A/C was on full blast before she pulled out of the employee car park.

What I wouldn’t give to live in LA or Seattle, at least.’ Ves thought, joining the flow of traffic. If it weren’t for the fact that she only remained in Sin City due to her commitment to finding Verity’s murderer. Vestra would’ve moved the moment Verity’s death hit her. Her grip tightened on the steering wheel. It was a sore spot that remained, the hole in her heart that couldn’t fill, no matter how many vices she consumed or gambled.

Clearing her throat, she turned the music up. Ves froze momentarily before turning her attention back on the road. ‘How coincidental.’ The track playing being, Love Is A Losing Game. Amy Winehouse, an artist who was without a doubt one of her all-time favourites—also theirs. Pulling out a pack of smokes, Ves slipped one between her teeth, putting the rest to the side, and lighting it up with a vintage lighter. No matter how much she wanted to forget about them, Verity had seeped their way into their very soul. One could only grieve for so long before responsibilities came knocking.

She was holed away in her house that had more bathrooms than bedrooms. By the seven circles of hell, Vestra rarely moved from her bed for an entire month. Blowing off work, friends, even regulars to the point of severing important relationships. Without Ren, Ves likely never would’ve stepped foot outside her house for an entire year, perhaps decades - if possible. When she resumed being at work, it was like she never left. Dodging questions from coworkers was easy when one had a silver tongue to begin with.

Ves pulled up in front of the hole in the wall, parking her car just in the front. Turning it off, she ashed her cancer stick and looked over her appearance in the small mirror. Tired, blue eyes stared back at her; rimmed in black eyeliner so deep it might’ve been mistaken for her dark circles. She pulled her black-raven hair into a ponytail; the sweat was already accumulating at the nape of her neck. Ves looked like a gothic snow white, cherry red lips despite not wearing lipstick at all and pale-sickly looking skin barely looking dewy because of the minimal make-up she applied before arriving at The Haven. Another problem her skin didn’t agree with was the harsh desert sun. Sunscreen was always at the top of her shopping list, along having a water bottle on her at all times.

After fixing her curtain bangs, Ves slipped out of the car with her purse slung around her shoulder. Her shades back on the moment the door shut. A slight, cool breeze ruffled her left, black feather earring with the other side being a small tunnel gauge. The street was busy with foot traffic; she moved through the crowd like water; adapting to the current. Pulling the glass door open to Gabe’s small cafe and bakery, the sweet aroma of homemade sweets and coffee greeted her nose. Running a cafe in vegas, she could never get behind drinking hot coffee on a hot day, but those people existed.

Finding herself a seat along the brick wall, she found one furthest away from the sun. His small cafe was always brimming with customers. The clinking, laughter, and coalescence of unintelligible conversation befit the vibe. Ordering herself an ice coffee, Ves knew it was going to be awhile before Gabe would come down, anyway. Killing time. What wasn’t there to like about it?

Matsu sat back down in his own squeaky cubicle chair, head still spinning. Everything was fine. It wasn't like this job was his only source of income! … except that it was. He couldn't even quit if he wanted to. This job was the only way ot fuel his- uh- habit, as well as the only source of money for Asani- or he supposed more accurately- his mother. Nora would pitch a fit if she found out Matsu quit his job. It wasn’t like she couldn’t get a job herself. Though, he supposed he couldn’t really blame her. Ever since “the incident” all those years ago, she hasn’t been the same. Losing a husband and her favorite child in one night? Matsu wouldn’t want to know how that felt. He still feels the pain too.

Letting out a sigh, he rubbed his temple, still trying to process just what it is he was supposed to do. With one final determined nod, he opened the grim looking crimson file. It wasn’t like he had any other choice.

His heart sank even more in his chest as he stared at the paper in front of him. That’s right, a single sheet of paper sat inside the file. He did notice how paper thin the file seemed before, but he didn’t think it was literally paper. Thin. Even on the paper, there was barely anything on it.

“ Case file subject: X

Unexplained murders

0 suspects

0 Accomplice suspects

Crime scenes:

- Legion Valley

- St. Kelip estate

- Daffs Diner-”

The list went on, but Matsu barely cared enough to read the rest. He supposed he should start at the first scene on the list; Legion Valley. It was barely over a week ago, but he hoped the area was now cleared of all the telltale “there wass a murder here” signs. Legion Valley wasn't necessarily a place, but rather a road in between shopping districts. Matsu couldn't quite wrap his head around how something like this could even happen there. Hell- it might not even be X that did this murder. Maybe it was just some copycat. With a shake of his head, he stuffed the file into his briefcase, and made his way out. There was no point dawdling here any longer, debating whether this case was real or not. Either way, a murders a murder- no matter if it was a copycat or not.

With a slight wince at that last thought, he sat his his car's driver seat, throwing his briefcase onto the passengers'. He couldn't think about that, not now. Not when he thought he was finally over it. Tilting his head back, Matsu took a deep breath to compose himself. It was his job, he didn't't have any other choice... that's what he's been telling himself. Trying his best to snap out of it, Matsu started up his 2014 black Chevy, and made his way to Legion Valley, where - hopefully- he'll find something that can save his job.

Vestra took a bite out of her ham & cheese croissant. The one thing she loved about this place, when her visits weren’t business, was the cheap prices - at least as cheap as it could be. Licking the melted cheese off her fingers, Gabe always outdid himself. She could thank him if he weren’t also shady.

Medusa...what have you gotten yourself into?’ Ves washes down the left-over sandwich with her ice coffee. Cleaning her fingers as best she could with the provided napkins. Looking around at the place, it was a lot cosier than she expected. Changes were made since her last visit. The hanging plants and greenhouse in the middle of the cafe were new for sure. ‘Guess business really is booming.’

A pair of brisk, heavy steps caused her to look away. They belonged to the very man she came to see. He looked about as one expected a pretty blond boy to look. Sparkling blue eyes, perfectly ‘bedhead’ blond hair, his skin blemishless. Gabe was the very definition of a walking model. If he weren’t wearing a wine-red coloured suit on, she’d think he was a businessman coming in for lunch.

“Gabriel Ezekiel Bartholomew Templeton.” Ves spoke, giving him a look. “You’ve kept me waiting long enough. Starting to think Ren was wrong about you.”

“By the heavens, no.” His voice was warm and gentle, like a light summer breeze. “I-”

“I don’t have all day, Gabe. You’re just a pit stop. Don’t waste my time.” Her voice had grown low, a small threatening undertone to her words.

“R-right.” Gabe gulped. He gestured for her to follow him. “This way. We should talk away from any prying eyes.”

“By all means…” Vestra got up, dropping a few bills off to cover her meal and tip to whoever her server was. Grabbing her purse, she followed him. They went around a bend of the greenhouse. Displays of pastries, candies, and the baristas behind the counter could be seen by everyone.

They continued until she stopped just behind him. She noticed the tenseness in his shoulder-blades before the door opened. Ves entered, closing the grey-metal door shut behind her. Inside was a small office; oak desk, office chair, plants, books, and filing cabinets.

“Now, what’s your problem?” She bluntly put it, glancing at the clock. About twenty minutes remained before she had to go.

Gabriel was rummaging through his desk drawers, almost frantically so. Shoving the last drawer close to sliding a vanilla folder on the desk, pushing it to the edge for Vestra. Approaching the desk, she gingerly took it, opened it, skimmed the details before looking back up at him with a curious look.

“Medusa sent it to me.” He started, running a hand down his face as he wandered over to the small liquor cabinet. Pulling a glass out, “I-I-I didn’t think that I would be caught.” He stuttered out. Gabe poured himself some wine, snapping it back into his mouth before putting the empty glass down.

“If you think I can infiltrate them...it’s gonna cost you more than my usual.” She retorts, closing the folder.

“Of course. I can pay you now, if you want.” Gabriel quickly retorted, turning around to face her. He couldn’t discern her emotions behind those shades.

“Depends, have you a deadline for me?” Ves inquired further. ‘Strange...why’s he so jittery?

“Yes. One month from now. On the autumn solstice.” Her eyes noticed the tight grip on the counter’s edge.

“Alright.” She agreed, “But I don’t take cash or electronic transfers. Link up with Ren and they’ll know what to do.”

He visibly sagged in relief, finding the counter for support as he leaned on it. “T-thank you, V. You don’t how much this means to me.”

“I’ll take your ‘thanks’ in the form of money. Go see Ren and I’ll get you what I can by the solstice. Be sure to tell Ren what you want- the usual.” Vestra instructs him, before turning toward the door with the folder. “I’m guessing you don’t need this.” She remarked.

“No.” Gabe answered. “Take whatever you need.”

“Then, I must go now.” Ves’ hand was already on the handle by the time she finished the conversation. Pulling the door open, she casually made her way out of the cafe and bakery. Once inside her car, she noted the several Medusa members stationed around the place, sitting in places she wouldn’t have guessed to look. It was the fault in their scent that had tipped her off to their presence.

Starting her baby back up, she pulled out from the car park. Ves locked eyes with Gabriel behind the glass as she pulled away from it. She took the 596 route, letting her mind figure out why Gabriel was even in league with Medusa. Since the absolving of Obitus, the new branch of SIB establishing itself in Sin City, and the sudden rise of Medusa—things haven’t been the same since the golden era. Oh, what she wouldn’t give to have them back, to be ruling this desert city once again. But all good things must come to an end.

“One day, you’ll see why I’ve always wanted to leave. You’ll see…” Verity’s words had echoed in her mind. Nights spent far out in the desert, seeing stars twinkle like diamonds in the sky. Those late-night talks with her someone, that someone who was gone forever.

Gripping the wheel, she continued down the same route till she turned abruptly into Vegas Drive. By the sudden change in infrastructure of cluttered buildings to evenly spaced out houses, manicured lawns, stacks of houses. There was even an enormous field of green, spots of lakes. It was like she entered a 1950s neighbourhood. All she could think about was how messy the HOAs must be around here. Vestra made another left, then another right, then a last left to find herself in another affluent neighbourhood.

“Players Club Drive…” She murmured, wondering if there was some history behind the name. Ves pulled up to the curb, finding no drive-way for her to come in with her car. Parking it, Vestra pulled her phone out and the card from her pocket. Already crumpled from the amount of sitting, she dialled in the personal number. It rang for a few minutes before an older woman’s voice picked up.

“Hello?” Her accent was even posh.

“Miss Olivia Echols?” She wanted to be sure. One couldn’t be too safe in her line of work.

“This is she, who is this?” Olivia retorts.

“V.” Ves greets. Apparently, Ren must’ve struck a chord with this woman. Some muffled words were exchanged through the phone, the unmistakable sound of moving to another room.

“Ren’s given you my card. I assume that’s how you were able to contact me.”

“That’s right. Have you arrived at the given address?” V went straight to the point.

“Yes, but uh- my nephew is here with me.” Olivia warned her.

“Does this involve him?” V shifted the phone to her left ear, putting her right hand back on the keys. She was ready to leave. Usually her clients wanted one-on-one without anyone else present.

“Yes.” Olivia confirmed. “It does involve him. In fact, he’s the one who wanted to initiate the contract. I advised against it.”

“What? Money can’t solve it?”

“Well, that’s why I’m hiring you, am I not?”

“Best we talk this in person, then. I’m right outside.” Ves retorts.

“Good. Come in.” Olivia ends the call.

Pulling the keys out of the ignition, she set the phone back into her purse. Suddenly wondering why she continued to deal with the rich-type. ‘Money, duh.’ She scolded herself. Ves grabbed her purse, tucking a small pistol underneath a flap that disguised it as the bottom of the purse. She climbed out of the car, seeing the behemoth of an estate looming over her. This house would put hers to shame.

It didn't take him long to arrive at the shopping district. Everything in Vegas was mostly somewhat close together, especially the strip. Even in daylight, it was bustling with activity. Passersby with shopping bags, drinks- who in their right mind would drink this early? Apparently these people.

As the stop light finally turned green, and the crowds of people swarmed by, Matsu eventually was able to squeeze his Chevy in between two other cars. Finding a parking spot was hard, but he didn't expect anything less these days. Stepping out, he had to be careful not to scratch the other car with his door. It was a tight squeeze after all. Matsu made his way to the spot on Legion Valley where he remembered the body was originally found. Nothing lay there now of course. It seemed they were fast in cleaning up. If he didn't know what had recently happened here, it would have seemed that everything was normal, with all the people walking by, acting out their regular lives.

Sighing, he grabbed the small notebook from his coat pocket. He didn't realize it before in his car, but wearing it outside in this sweltering heat was a stupid idea. The thought passed by him as perspiration began to quickly form everywhere, especially on his neck where the collar lay. A drop of sweat beads down his forehead as he took the damned thing off, and tied it around his waist. He's never bringing this jacket outside ever again. He would rather be wearing a blanket in the cold office than having to deal with this.

Least to say, Matsu didn't fair well in the heat despite being raised here.

Wiping his forehead, he compelled his clammy hands to flip over the pages of the notebook. Before he even got the case forced into his hands, some of his SIB coworkers were sharing notes about this case. He guessed they thought someone else would be able to figure it out after they'd quit. Luckily for him, Matsu got a few notes scribbled into this notebook during the exchanges. As he skimmed over the pages, he realized even this might be useless. All that was written down was about the death, who the victim was, etc etc. Nothing that could help him here. It's not like there were any witnesses right?

Suddenly, a thought popped into his head. What about the victim's friends and family? Could they possibly know something. Could there be any relation to this victim and the others? Anything connecting them? It was no use to him questioning himself now, it was time to go see the victim's family. It might still be a sore spot to them, but it will all work out if this finally gets him somewhere. Coming here was useless anyways, everything has been cleared out.

Matsu stuffed the notebook into his back pocket as he rushed over back to his car. As he started it back up, he called the office, putting his phone on speaker. Backing out, he made himself abrupt, not feeling the need to be friendly in a situation like this as the call was eventually answered. "Give me the Legion Valley victim's relatives' address. Now."

By time Vestra left the Echols estate, she had more questions than answers about the predicament the nephew was in. She slammed the door shut behind her, placing her hands on the steering wheel for a moment. The time she spent stewing away in her tower like some princess, waiting for her knight in shining armour. Medusa had spent its time snaking its way around the gardens, gobbling up easy prey—roping them in with deals that couldn’t be refused. Ves couldn’t blame Medusa for taking the opportunity to seize the throne that Obitus left during its dissolution.

Yet apparently these deals were more than the client bargained for. Now that she was back in the game, making moves as an independent contractor instead of apart from a group—people were coming out of the woodworks for her attention. Even as Verity’s second-hand, Vestra wasn’t given the time of day, which she didn’t mind. But with them gone, everything had tumbled like a game of jenga blocks. It was a good thing she had clients go through Ren before she’d carry anything out.

Starting her car up, Amy Winehouse filled the silent space. With the A/C cranking at max, Vestra let it cool her down whilst she rummaged around in her purse. Her mobile already had a considerable amount of messages and missed calls from various parties. With a sigh, she went through the important ones, ‘Time to change my number again.’ She brushed her fringe out of her view, brows furrowing at Parker’s message.

Putting her phone away, she put the gear in drive and finally pulled away from the curb. It was in her interest that SIB had been cracking down on the supernaturals in Vegas lately. How much longer could she endure staying in the city she once called home?

Matsu checked his phone for the hundredth time, before confirming once again that he was arriving at the right address. Sighing, he tapped his index finger on the steering wheel as he thought of what to do. It was a better idea to have some kind of game plan, rather than just barging in cluelessly. It was quite simple actually; greet them, console them, then question them. The only problem was the people in general. People were... complicated during tragic events such as this. He should know- he's been through it. That still didn't mean it wasn't a hassle to deal with. He supposed he didn't have a choice but to be careful if he wanted to gain anything from them. Matsu just hoped this was worth it.

Getting out and locking his car, Matsu made his way to the victim's family's front door. He did give them a call beforehand, so there shouldn't be any surprises. Before he could even knock on the door, it was thrown open by a woman who frantically ushered him in. Not even a second since he stepped inside, she was already locking the door and rushing to the window. Her eyes flit across the street, as if looking for something. When she seemed content that it was empty, the lady turned to face Matsu and finally greet him. Her clammy hands shook Matu's cold ones aggressively. Now, he had now idea what was up with her, but he did know she seemed extremely paranoid for some reason. As she eventually let go, Matsu wiped his- now sweaty- hand on his pants and followed her to the couch.

" Um.. I'm Matsu, I'm here to ask about your son- " He paused a second to remember the name. " Reynold, was it? The Legion Valley murder? I offer my condolences. " She nodded her head wildly, offering him a shaky cup of tea as she responded with a quivering voice. " Yes! Yes.. Rey- my poor boy-.. he- he didn't deserve this.." As Matsu watched her, he noticed her eyes flit to the side every so often. " Is everything okay ma'am? you seem... nervous. " Her eyes shot back onto him, waving her hand as if to brush him off while she smiled. " Oh- no no, its nothing. Did you find out what happened to my boy? Please tell me you found out who did it! " She leaned forward, her hopeful face glistening with sweat. " Not yet ma'am. I promise you, we're working on it. Now, I have some questions to ask you if you don't mind. " With a slight frown, she nodded once again, averting her eyes to her own mug she held. " Thank you. Was there anyone who would have wanted him dead? anyone you can think of? A friend, bully, colleague, lover? anyone at all? " She didn't respond for a while, still staring into her tea. While impatient, Matsu did wait, sipping the herbal drink to pass the time. " ... no. not- not anyone I could personally think of.. but. he didn't tell me much about his life. So I wouldn't know... oh my poor boy. I'm sorry. " She looked up at Matsu, her face scrunched up. " Couldn't it have been like- a random murder or something? A drive-by? " The expression on her face seemed almost... expectant. " Perhaps but.. " He didn't continue. He really didn't believe it was a random kill.

She let out a shaky breath as she quickly glanced over at her front door, before facing Matsu once again. Matsu squinted, and without thinking- he blurted out, " What is it exactly that you're so scared of? " She froze on the spot, eyes wide. " I... " With her jaw set, a solemn expression washed over her face. " I think its best if you leave. right now. If you can't find out who did this to my boy, then don't bother contacting me at all. " With that said, she rushed him out the front door, before promptly slamming it in his face. Cup still in hand, he set it in front of the door before numbly going back to his vehicle. As he plopped down on the seat, he still stared at the house in front of him. What in the hell had just happened? it's obvious she was hiding something. Maybe whatever it was could lead to some kind of connection. He would be damned if he didn't want to find out.

As she drove, V’s mind wandered upon the coded words in Parker’s message. Although, she wasn’t surprised that SIB Agents swarmed one of GAAIX’s underground clubs. Ves was more interested in the part where GAAIX’s leader, Ziyue, gave up so easily. GAAIX was only one of many smaller gangs hoping to top the leaderboard of the Vegas underworld. Of course, they could easily reform into another group, but ever since SIB made camp in their city, it was much more difficult to maintain itself.

For the rest of the course of her day, Vestra went driving around to different parts of the city. Picking up contracts, talking to clients—things that defined her usual business. It wasn’t the matter of ‘if,’ but ‘when’ was she going to be caught doing this? SIB hasn’t caught onto her trail yet or didn’t know about her. The ‘legal’ supernatural creatures were ordained to register with SIB the moment they settled comfortably in their city. Of the few remaining rebels, Ves was one of those who were yet to register within SIB’s systems.

In her eyes, she saw it as a leash. Can’t let a dog wander too far from its new owner, right?

The evening was dawning over the horizon soon as she finished with her last contract for the day. Now, if only she had more clients to extent her business longer- would’ve preferred that over seeing Ava. The Haven continued to exist only because of Ava’s investment into the club, surviving the purge of supernatural businesses, it was no secret in the underworld that Ava had a keen eye on the club since Verity’s passing. Extending her own business, Vestra went home to change into more appropriate work clothes.

Her idea of looking nice was putting on some designer-fitted attire and comfortable shoes. Vestra would rather shoot her left foot than wear heels to work that required constant movement and standing. She could be as rebellious as she wanted, but no amount of rebelling would let her lose Ava’s investment. After getting ready, V headed back down to her car and back to the Haven, where the devil was awaiting her attendance.

As he waited in traffic like all the other vehicles that surrounded him, Matsu felt his persistent patience slowly dwindling. If this was how it was going to be at the very beginning, Matsu nearly felt that there was no way he would be able to keep this job. Hopelessness was crawling up his back, slowly suffocating him. Sighing, he looked at the time on his watch, as his fingers deftly tapped on the steering wheel. It was about time his normal coworkers were about to leave, and the SIB come into shift. Unluckily for him- he was both. Sure- perhaps the SIB paid quite a lot, but it wasn't enough for him. Maybe he was too ambitious, or maybe all he had in life was work. Either way, he wouldn't want to quit either one.

Matsu's felt his tense shoulders slightly relax as the traffic finally started moving. Considering he really didn't want to go back to the office right now, he figured he might as well do something before his SIB shift had officially started. Matsu only did one thing in his free time other than catching a few Zs whenever even the chance, and that was gambling. He wouldn't say he was particularly proud of that fact, but he really couldn't picture himself doing anything else. Sports were too exhausting for him- the sun burned his skin, and he sure as hell did not have enough time in his life to focus on that. Same went for nearly every other hobby people had. Gambling was quick and easy. Plus if he was lucky, it meant more money in his pocket.

Sending a quick text to his gambling buddy, Emrick, he made his way over to the closest casino he could find. If he had a choice, he would have gone to his usual casino, but Matsu didn't have the time for that right now. He just wanted a short break from the case. It didn't even matter where they went. Hopefully Emrick was okay with it. It wasn't like Matsu was really giving him a choice.

Leaving his jacket and briefcase in the car, Matsu stepped out, shielding his face from the searing sun. Even in his thin dress shirt, the sun was boiling his skin. He supposed it was truly a bad idea to dress formal in a city like Vegas. It was just a habit that Matsu found too hard to break. Glancing at his phone to check for a notification from Emrick, Matsu made his way inside when he found none on his screen. It seemed he arrived before Emrick. He didn't mind too much- this just gave him a chance to relax a bit before playing a few games.

As luck would have it, there was a small open bar off to the side of the building. Matsu shuffled over, noticing there wasn't a whole lot of people drinking at this time. He guessed that was expected. It was somewhat midday after all, and he supposed most of them came here for the games- like he had originally planned. He sat himself down on one of the stool's, slouching and rubbing his temples in discontentment. He thought a break like this would be nice, but he just couldn't get his mind off of the damned case. He was justified however. His livelihood quite literally depended on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back