Looking for Rap Links (Closed to Submissions ... for now.)

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Okay, without getting over dramatic, I stated an opinion that I didn't like Rap. Got some flak for that, called a racist, etc. I never even considered the origins of Rap. I just don't like the way it sounds. At least ... I never liked it when I listened to it in the past. But the last time I did was probably over 20 years ago. Someone rightly pointed out that it has changed. (I have a mathematical mind. If something changes that much, is it even still the same thing?)

To be fair, there are some examples that I liked. Gangster Paradise is one of those exceptions. But I was told that was more hip hop. Is Hip Hop considered Rap? Rap, as far as I know, fails to meet the Oxford definition of music. It lacks harmony. But then, Ain't isn't a word and I use it all the time. (Is the word ain't in the dictionary? I'll look later. Language changes. Music changes. Fair enough.

Now my point:
Prove me wrong. Change my mind. My parents didn't have a very open mind. I do.

I am looking for submissions of links to YouTube music videos preferably with the lyrics. Submissions need to be formatted. I am going to critique them as honestly as I can. I want 3 songs from each of three artists from each genre below. (That's 3x3x22 songs. At 3-5 minutes apiece that is about 13 hours of listening time. Plus time to critique each artist and genre.)

I will keep a list below with submissions. I was originally only going to allow 20 submissions, but didn't realize how many genres there were. Any submission not formatted correctly will be ignored.

Format
Genre
Artist
Song Name (use Insert Link on the song's name)
Lyrics (if not in the music video. Again use Insert Link.

Example:
Country
Eddie Arnold (1959)
Tennessee Stud
Lyrics

LOL, so yourself a favor and do NOT click on the song link - unless you want your ears assaulted. My dad used to have this along with dozens of similar songs to torture us with on reel to reel (sort of a giant cassette tape from before the days of 8 track which was before cassette tape which was before CD which was before ...).

From a site titled: 22 Rap Genres That Define the Evolution of Rhyme and Beat
Old school.
Boom-bap.
Jazz rap.
Trap.
Mumble rap.
Rap rock.
Country trap.
Gangsta rap.
Crunk
Drill
Emo rap
Grime
UK Drill
Bounce
Horrorcore
Latin trap
Conscious hip-hop
Soundcloud rap
Hyphy
Lo-fi hip-hop
G-funk
Footwork

Last edited:
The Mixtape So Far

Old school.

Boom-bap.

Jazz rap.
Noname
Hold Me Up

Trap.
Kendrick Lamar
DNA - the flow from 2:03 is a masterpiece

Mumble rap.

Rap rock.

Country trap.

Gangsta rap.

Crunk

Drill

Emo rap

Grime

UK Drill

Bounce

Horrorcore

Latin trap

Conscious hip-hop

Saba
Church / Liquor Store

Soundcloud rap

Hyphy

Lo-fi hip-hop

Noname
All I Need

G-funk

Footwork

Pop Rap
Kanye West
Heartless

Comedy Rap?
Eminem
The Real Slim Shady

Last edited:
Critique

So far just going through a first listen. So far I haven't made it through a single song without having to shut it off. I am beginning to understand why though. But I will get to that later.

Last edited:
hello! me again. firstly, i'd like to apologize that things got heated in the last thread. i feel like i should clarify that i am african-american and that rap music is cultural for me. so i did take it a little personally when it was said that it wasn't real music, and i let myself get emotional in my last few messages. i apologize.

secondly, i would like to clarify that i didn't call anyone racist. i said that the misconceptions you and another person held "typically stem from anti-blackness." this is not me calling anyone racist. i stand by this. i can't speak about the hearts of you and that other person, but i can say that you use a lot of the same talking points (concerning rap music) as people i do know to be anti-black. it wasn't an accusation - only an observation and an attempt at getting you to understand why this conversation may not be easy for me. that is all.

thirdly, i would like to reiterate that the dictionary definition of music isn't entirely accurate. it was written by people with a general understanding of music for people who are looking for a general understanding. dictionary writers are not musicologists. music does not need harmony to be considered music. a list of things that don't have harmony: a violin solo, an opera singer's aria with no accompaniment, a nursery rhyme a mother sings to her child, a child's version of "twinkle, twinkle little star." none of these things would have harmony, yet i've never seen anyone argue that they shouldn't be considered music. also, if you want me to explain "harmony" from a music theory perspective, i can try.

also - plenty of rap actually incorporates harmony in ways people might not expect. it's really interesting but would require a tangent that i don't feel quite equipped to go on.

as far as whether hip hop is rap - it's complicated. technically speaking, you can rap without it being hip hop and you can have hip hop without rap. however, rapping is one of the most important and recognizable aspects of hip hop music, hence why "rap" and "hip hop" are often conflated - it's technically inaccurate, but it comes from other truths. think of it like this: hip hop, on top of being a music genre, is a subculture. a culture that incorporates music, ideology, fashion, and beyond. rapping as we know it is a style of vocalization that was primarily pioneered within hip hop music and is more important to hip hop than any other genre by a long shot. i can also talk about this more if you would like it!! i could stand to learn more myself haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello! i want to give you some song recommendations, but they contain language that is against RPN rules, so i can't hyperlink them. i will still provide their information in the format you requested but without hyperlinks. all of these are accessible on YouTube and Genius Lyrics. i hope you enjoy them!

Jazz Rap
Noname
Hold Me Up

Conscious Hip Hop
Saba
Church / Liquor Store

Lo-fi Hip Hop (this one's a bit harder to genre)
Noname
All I Need

You should have used a PM for this. But okay. If you respond to this after this, please use a PM. I want to leave the thread for actual submissions.

"stems from anti"-anything. I couldn't see any other way to take this except as racist. It was a deeply prejudiced statement. You do not know my background. If you had, you would not have made that statement.

Harmony. I did say "as far as I know". If you want to explain, please do. But in the words Denzel Washington. (Can't believe I had to look it up. I love every movie he's been in.) But to quote him, "Explain it to me like I was a 6 year old." I do know that some rap has harmony. Not sure if it is till considered rap.

For what is is worth, my parents' generation called my music the Devil's music ... or not music at all, but a bunch of hippies screaming and such. This happens with every generation.

I am going to go with the Forgive and Forget - especially in light of the next post you sent while I was typing this. Thank you in advance. And yes, I can copy and paste. That should work. Won't be right away. We have a security meeting in out apartment complex shortly. I live in a bad area. You know, gunfire every now and then. People shot in front of the building every now and then. "Nice" neighborhood.

Hello all. I would also like to say a word.

In the unpopular opinions thread I stated my opinion, an opinion which I am entitled to have, but one which was deemed unpopular.

I’m well aware many of you enjoy listening to rap music and artists, but like Mitheral, I find that I cannot enjoy it at all.

I still stand by my opinion that is disliking rap music and the whole genre, and that mumbling expletives into a mic to a beat the artist didn’t even create should not be classified as a music genre.

Unfortunately I was labeled an “evil racist” for disliking rap OF ALL races (fun fact, every race raps. I happen to dislike all of it.)

While I will not retract my statement and my opinion of disliking rap and not considering it a music genre, I will apologize for how heated that thread did get. I’m curious to see what gets posted on this thread. Maybe it will open up my mind.

But I’m very turned off by a majority of rap. Many lyrics I hear that people my age listen to are all about drugs, crime, cursing and using racial slurs, and of course the degradation of women. I think it’s a bit filthy and I don’t want to hear it when I’m trying to listen to music.

I’m aware not all rap is like this, but I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with rap. I dislike the genre and all of it that I’ve heard, from Eninem to Kodak, I have disliked.

But I’m an old soul and like listening to jazz, a genre many can’t stand, so I understand the other side.

My motto is this- live and let live and to each their own. I dislike rap but it doesn’t mean you can’t listen to it, but I AM very much entitled to my opinion.

And please, this isn’t a race thing. I did not appreciate being harassed in the other thread. I merely came here to express my views in a more respectful and calmer manner and to tac on to what Mithreal has posted here.

I appreciate it, but submissions only. I may ask the mods to clean this up. I really just wanted songs and artists ... Fact is, I wouldn't know one type from another. I don't know any artists or their song names. Heck, I don't even know the artists and names of the songs that I DO like.

I appreciate it, but submissions only. I may ask the mods to clean this up. I really just wanted songs and artists ... Fact is, I wouldn't know one type from another. I don't know any artists or their song names. Heck, I don't even know the artists and names of the songs that I DO like.
Sorry my bad

here’s a rap playlist that’s guaranteed to not be “filthy” 🫶 hope you find something you enjoy during this journey.

edit: this was sent in good faith i promise ! 🤍

Last edited:
here’s a rap playlist that’s guaranteed to not be “filthy” 🫶 hope you find something you enjoy during this journey.

edit: this was sent in good faith i promise ! 🤍

【4K】City Walk - Beautiful Churches in Buenos Aires, Argentina is my favourite song

Edit: So I don't clog up the thread here's a song I like. I don't really know rap genres so I'm not sure how to classify it, sorry :(
Song Link
Lyrics

Edit 2: Listened to Tennessee Stud and I actually quite like it :D

Last edited:
still stand by my opinion that is disliking rap music and the whole genre, and that mumbling expletives into a mic to a beat the artist didn’t even create should not be classified as a music genre.
I mean, it's a bit silly to dismiss an entire genre of music just because you don't like an particular sub-genre of it (mumble rap in this case).

I mean, I really dislike Chinese opera. But if I were to use that to dismiss Morzart as not being "real music" I'd look quite silly.

so like...not all rap music is mumble rap and about violence, lol. That's equivalent to saying all rock'n'roll is gruesome death metal about dismembering dead bodies and feeding it to pigs. a lot of rap just "groove music". see: invincible's entire soundtrack. I mean, gorillaz is rap, and they've never one written anything "violent".

I don't have the time to chase down song lyrics and genres of specific artists, so title and artist will suffice.
Danger Mouse - Chase Me
DJ Shadow - Rocket Fuel
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc
RTJ - the ground below

oops: I forgot a good artist who does a lot of political commentary
Childish Gambino - This is America

Last edited:
Hello. I'm here as someone who also doesn't particularly like much of the genre and not as a slighted friend because of how my friends have been treated while trying to be patient, kind, and eduational in regards to this subject, and here are some rap songs that I enjoy.

But to drop this whole 'rap is not music' discussion once and for all, I would like to note that one of the most, if not the most, lyrical and greatest rappers of our time, Kendrick Lamar, won THE Pulitzer Prize for Music in April of 2018 and became the first rapper to do so. Yes, that is from the same Pulitzer name that is given to novels. The argument that it is not music is outdated and invalid at this point. It has been for the past four years if you're going by achievements and will continue to be outdated and invalid going forward. I'm not going to get into the technicalities of harmony and how the music denotation differs from the common person's understanding because this post would be way too long.

As for my recommendations, I'm not the most well-versed in this genre, but I will try to categorize them. If anyone notes that they're wrong, please correct me! Thank you!

Hip hop · trap · hardcore hip hop
Kendrick Lamar (a lot of his work has mathematical, cultural, and religious references)
DNA - the flow from 2:03 is a masterpiece

Pop Rap
Kanye West
Heartless

Comedy Hip Hop
Eminem
The Real Slim Shady

Thanks

And closing off submissions for now. RL may be taking a heavy tool soon. But I have enough now to keep me busy for a bit.

Now I need to decide how to rate/critique the songs and artists ... and finally the genre. So far the genre is not doing much to impress me ... and I may have identified the reasons for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back