Other (Rant/vent) The struggles of a 9th grade genius with some mental issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurotsuki

One body, many minds
I'm about fed up with all this age-restricted stuff.

I get why people have age restrictions on their rps. They want a partner who's 18+ or 21+, and I understand that maybe you're not comfortable rping with someone much younger than you mentally, but it's really unfair to those of us who are capable of acting mature above our age. When I was 13 I was often mistaken for a high schooler (seriously, a police officer tried to guess my age, non-jokingly said he thought I was 16) so that shows that I'm a lot more mature than most people my age.

I'm also of above average intelligence (I don't know my IQ, my parents know but they won't tell me nor my siblings our IQ scores) and have been writing at a college/professional level since late elementary school/early junior high. I never have to peer-edit my essays because my classmates literally can't understand my advanced vocabulary. On multiple occasions, the professor has read through my ROUGH DRAFT and let me turn it in as is for full points, as they found no errors or one minor error that could easily be corrected. I am an advanced enough writer for your literate rps. I am not a child, I am a mature person who is losing opportunities because of my age. If you wouldn't be able to tell that I'm 14 just by talking to me, then it shouldn't be a problem.

On a somewhat related note, why is it seen as 'weird' to enroll in college courses while one is in junior high? I started trying to find online courses mid-8th grade to get a head start on my game dev career. In high school, I'm taking not one, but two separate career paths (game dev and animation) as well as taking all advanced/AP core classes. I hope to graduate with high marks so I can get into a good university. Yet most of my fellow students disapprove of what I'm doing. Is it wrong to start working to secure a career early?
Some people at school respect me for my patience and hard work. Some people despise me for being, simply put, better than them in both attitude and grades. My friends know that I am still just like them, I have feelings and a colorful personality.

I know that to some people I'm the "rich kid". I know to some people I'm the "know it all", the "genius", the Hermione of the school. I naturally excel in academics, I'm logical and find new ways to do things, but that doesn't mean I don't know how the world works. Hard work and patience leads to success. Being so effortlessly smart there's only one thing to do; I help others learn to do what I can do naturally.
So yes, I am the know it all genius student, but I'm also a hero to many. I've helped friends through depression and tough times. I've kept people motivated to work on projects or study. I'm the natural leader who keeps the team on track and organized, and guess what?; in the end, my group gets full points because I've checked and double-checked and triple-checked everything to make sure it met the criteria with minimal stress.

Believe it or not, being smart doesn't mean doing nothing but studying, or being an uptight know it all jerk who just corrects everyone on everything. Being smart means understanding what the situation needs, interpreting it, and then giving just that. Finding new ways to do things while keeping everyone calm and everything organized. It's true that I can be a bit of a perfectionist (my attitude ranges from 'absolute anarchy' to 'Death the Kid level perfectionist'), but it's perfectly natural to want the finished product to be organized and pleasing to the eye. I'm quite flexible, but once we choose a style or theme we have to stick with it, there's no room for making changes with a looming three-day deadline. But I allow breaks, I tolerate some goofing off as long as all of the required work is completed in the end. I'm the leader who's willing to say "that's enough for today, we need a break, BUT we'll have to do a,b, and c tomorrow".

Anyway that's enough rambling, I'm a perfectly capable person who's only slightly disadvantaged by a few mental issues that have nothing to do with my age.
I originally wrote this post to say it mildly infuriates me that SO many interest checks have an 18+ age requirement when I'm a mature and literate writer. Who cares if I'm a teenager, at least I'm not a drunk or a junkie like a lot of adults are. If anything, being young is an advantage because I still have an open mind that isn't weighed down by the stress of 'real life'. Also, if you're 18/19 and asking for only 18 y/o rp partners, come on now, you're barely older than those teens you're turning away.

Edit: typo

honestly, this whole post comes off as mad egotistical lmao. adults who put age limits on their partner searches are NOT saying that everyone younger than their limit is immature and incapable of writing at the same level as them. it's just a matter of preference.

honestly, this whole post comes off as mad egotistical lmao. adults who put age limits on their partner searches are NOT saying that everyone younger than their limit is immature and incapable of writing at the same level as them. it's just a matter of preference.
I know and I am a bit of an egomaniac at times, it's just really frustrating to be left out of so much just because you were born at a later year. When it IS a matter of maturity is what this is referring to.

I know and I am a bit of an egomaniac at times, it's just really frustrating to be left out of so much just because you were born at a later year. When it IS a matter of maturity is what this is referring to.
it's not, though? u can be the most mature person in the world at fourteen years old and i won't want to rp with you simply because im more comfortable rping with people closer to my age. it has NOTHING to do with ur maturity. i know plenty of adults who are way more immature than some kids, lol. it's literally all about preference.

& i don't wanna be that person, but someone needs to tell you. i rly don't think ur mature as u think are. i read through your other vent thread and ... yikes is all i have to say.

i don't wanna be that person, but someone needs to tell you. i rly don't think ur mature as u think are. i read through your other vent thread and ... yikes is all i have to say.
My personality and attitude is constantly changing, to the point of possibly having multiple personalities. Sometimes I am very mature, calm, and collected. Sometimes I'm purposely childish. It all depends on my mood. In a literate rp setting I have a serious and focused demeanor.
Also, I don't appreciate being called immature by someone who doesn't use proper grammar and spelling. I understand sometimes using abbreviations, but at the very least shouldn't "I" be capitalized?

As for my vent thread, that's sort of the point of a vent thread. It's for expressing my feelings and letting down my serious persona for a moment.

If it helps you to understand, I have a few distinct personalities. Kuro (depressed, nihilistic. That's the one you seem to disapprove of on my vent thread.), Amatsu (laid-back, creative), and Sakura (mature, serious, organized) are the main ones. You're speaking to Sakura right now, and you should be glad it isn't Kuro because she would be raging at how inconsiderate and blunt your replies so far have been.

cadence cadence has had blunt replies because you're coming off as incredibly immature. Having proper grammar and spelling doesn't equal maturity at all, just like intelligence doesn't equal maturity. A high IQ doesn't make you mature: life experience does.

(Plus, Galatic is being grammatically correct; having no captilization is a style people like to write in on the internet. It's literally just for appearance.)

Thank you kindly to you wonderful people who have replied. Unfortunately, I don't remember asking for anyone's opinion, nor for people to come onto my vent thread and insult me. The purpose of a vent thread is to be able to speak your mind without causing conflict or being attacked. Furthermore, I don't appreciate people who don't know me nor what I'm going through coming here and destroying my calm. So, all things considered, I'll have to ask you to please stop posting on this thread.

Thank you, have a great day.

Adult roleplayers couldn't care less about smarts, IQ or grades, as those things are not what define the roleplayer we are searching for.

You are having a great success in school, and that's great. I am happy for you. Yet, that is not that important when it comes to roleplaying. Plus, having good grades is not the same as being smart. Intelligence can be defined in many different ways, and academic knowledge is not necessarily one of them. I am studying something whose access grades are considerably high, and that doesn't mean that me or my classmates are "smart". It means we are hard working. If you are able to achieve great success without working that's good. But I hope you don't get shocked when you find something in the future that you can't do easily and then get frustrated. I know what it looks like, because I've been through it.
Smart people aren't automatically mature as well, and I believe that justifying your maturity pointing out to your intelligence is enough proof of that.

Until recently I have been a bit confused over why I didn't feel comfortable roleplaying with people younger than me, but after an enlightening discussion here on RPN I finally came to a conclusion:
Imagine that a 50 year old is roleplaying with you. Surely, the roleplay has no themes that go against RPN's guidelines. It is simply a story about two characters who go on adventures together in order to train dragons.
It is completely innocent for both of you, but how would your parents react if they found out that you and someone that could be your parent were pretending to be someone else and talk privately online? Do you see how dodgy this can sound to an outsider? What if your parents find out and want to speak with the other roleplayer? Do you see how uncomfortable and negative that experience alone can be?
Of course, there are adults that are perfectly fine with roleplaying with children, and that's fine: there is nothing wrong with it. However. To some of us, even though there is nothing inherently wrong with roleplaying with children, to us, it feels wrong, in a personal level.
There is also the issue with identification too. We, for example, have a big age gap. And that plays a big role as well. Humans long to connect with people that are similar to them. According to our ages, I doubt we'd share much in common. This because we grew up in two different times.

Finally, according to Daisies' statistics, most part of the roleplaying searching threads do not have age requirements, and some of the ones that do have age requirements are flexible about them. So I think you have plenty of roleplays to choose from.

You can't really expect people to not voice their opinions when your posing on a discussion thread. That's just unreasonable. It's the internet; people are going to reply to whatever they want to.

My aim wasn't to offend you or attack you. I'm sorry if it came off that way. I was just pointing out what I saw. I won't reply to this thread again, but I think that what the person above me said is very true. Just keep looking for roleplays. It's always a process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back