Opinion Rant about English Attack Names in Anime and Manga

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpstitch

Loser
One thing that seemed to rile my hatred but nobody else's is the Japanese worship of Americans and American culture. And by that I mean for the purposes of this rant, how anime can't seem to (for the life of them) use actual Japanese names in their animes. Every time a character is yelling out an attack name in anime, it's always in disgustingly cringey Japanese accent in English.

I know that such a thing is probably only loathsome to ME, but I just thought I'd point that out in case it was causing anybody else to cringe as well. Anybody else find this grating like I do?

Well, when you're a native speaker of what has become the dominant international language, it becomes quite easy to look down on and make fun of foreigners for their flawed command of your own mother tongue. Especially when those who turn their noses up can't be bothered to learn anything about Japan's culture or their language.

I really hope you don't actually think like this, because you sound like a flaming, honest-to-god racist.

It's a bit cringey when anime characters use English excessively, but I find it endearing when they name their attacks and whatnot with it. It gives me the impression that use of English is considered cool or something in Japan.

It's a bit cringey when anime characters use English excessively, but I find it endearing when they name their attacks and whatnot with it. It gives me the impression that use of English is considered cool or something in Japan.
Interesting perspective. For the most part I don't mind it all that much. It's just certain anime where I feel like it was done excessively. Plus upon reflection, I just don't see what's so cool about English. I mean, French is supposed to be sexy, Italian Romantic, and Latin is magical... But just what is English?

Interesting perspective. For the most part I don't mind it all that much. It's just certain anime where I feel like it was done excessively. Plus upon reflection, I just don't see what's so cool about English. I mean, French is supposed to be sexy, Italian Romantic, and Latin is magical... But just what is English?
I'll make a more detailed post about later, but basically English is the language of the people who beat Japan in WW2, leading to a certain following of "American Might" or in some cases, the promotion of the "American way". At least, so i heard from people that did more research into this than me, so I wouldn't be able to back this, but if you'd like an explanation, this is one I've heard.

I thought this was gonna start an argument and grab popcorn, but this is an actual point...
Yea, i wonder why they do that. There's a lot of things that just sound cool in japanese, same with english, combine the two and you get something about as cursed as pineapple pizza

Or just not have them... like in the middle of the attack, talk bad about their mother or something... Wish we had more of those

In anime, English is cool.

That's really it. Just like how native English speakers sometimes say/shout words or phrases in a different language "because funny", even if they completely butcher the pronunciation, anime scriptwriters would probably think "Hey, let's put an English name in here for this power."

Also, because Japanese can't be translated exactly into English. Someone mentioned English being the dominant world language. Yes, that's why anime has subtitles. Not just anime, but a lot of foreign media will come with English subtitles. It wouldn't be fun if all anime had something that roughly translated to "Ability User" for anyone with powers. Even for attacks, it's just cool. Or funny. Or a combination of both.

I'm sure a lot of people find what you mentioned cringe-worthy, regardless of where they come from. But still, a lot of people find it cool or even downright hilarious, since it's exaggerated for comedic effect.

Idea Idea mentioned All Might American Might. Yeah. Americans in anime are, on average, bigger, blonder (is this even a word?), and sometimes downright "hyper-American." It's cool! Just like how select individuals in America own katanas and samurai armor for the "cool factor", Japanese characters can be "Hyper American". Why not have a Japanese dude who's so American he shouts American words? It's just funny.

Last edited:
In anime, English is cool.

That's really it. Just like how native English speakers sometimes say/shout words or phrases in a different language "because funny", even if they completely butcher the pronunciation, anime scriptwriters would probably think "Hey, let's put an English name in here for this power."

Also, because Japanese can't be translated exactly into English. Someone mentioned English being the dominant world language. Yes, that's why anime has subtitles. Not just anime, but a lot of foreign media will come with English subtitles. It wouldn't be fun if all anime had something that roughly translated to "Ability User" for anyone with powers. Even for attacks, it's just cool. Or funny. Or a combination of both.

I'm sure a lot of people find what you mentioned cringe-worthy, regardless of where they come from. But still, a lot of people find it cool or even downright hilarious, since it's exaggerated for comedic effect.

Idea Idea mentioned All Might American Might. Yeah. Americans in anime are, on average, bigger, blonder (is this even a word?), and sometimes downright "hyper-American." It's cool! Just like how select individuals in America own katanas and samurai armor for the "cool factor", Japanese characters can be "Hyper American". Why not have a Japanese dude who's so American he shouts American words? It's just funny.

Bandit Keith? XD

Latin is the language of magic and english completely boring, a truly unbaised op :p
I only watch dubs anyway so it works well

Yes, this. It is endearing and tickles me when Japanese anime characters use English words for their attacks. Let's face it, most english anime voice actors can't compare to Japanese anime voice actors. There's some kind of passion and dedication to their craft that's hard to find in the American voices. I suspect that's why many people prefer English subs over English dubs in general. Their way of acting makes anything they say sound super cool whether it's Japanese or English.

Boku wa makenai!

Sounds just as cool as -

Delaware! Detroito Smassshuu!

When Japanese voice actors say it. I'm more familiar with English and think it's not sexy/cool at all but they find some way to pull it off.

I see it more as entertainment so laugh at it, while you're more focused on it analytically maybe? Though I do get your point. Standing back and looking at it from your angle, it is kind of weird. We don't have American cartoons where they scream out Japanese attacks =p.

Japanese people should have a little but more pride in themselves and think for one second that their own language in its own way can be thought of as beautiful and cool.

As a matter of fact, they take great pride on their language. Why'd you think only a few of them bother learning English, because they don't really need it. Why do you think their handwriting itself is considered artwork? Because it's that refined and beautiful. :) Their calligraphy is a gift to this world, truly. Even the word "dog" written in Japanese calligraphy may be seen as a masterpiece. :)

As a matter of fact, they take great pride on their language. Why'd you think only a few of them bother learning English, because they don't really need it. Why do you think their handwriting itself is considered artwork? Because it's that refined and beautiful. :) Their calligraphy is a gift to this world, truly. Even the word "dog" written in Japanese calligraphy may be seen as a masterpiece. :)
Perhaps for the most part. Gotta say though, using English in random places simply because it's quirky sounds almost like, reverse weebism. It's like randomly putting in words like Kawaii and Desu and etc in your sentences just because you like anime.

Perhaps for the most part. Gotta say though, using English in random places simply because it's quirky sounds almost like, reverse weebism. It's like randomly putting in words like Kawaii and Desu and etc in your sentences just because you like anime.
lol yeah.. totally. :) Reverse weebism. I like it. Well, where I came from, we call that use of english as "konyo" or something like that.

OK, so I'm not a fan of Japanese animation but when you want something to appeal to people outside your own country (Unless you are American or maybe British) you have to adapt your idea to the rest of the world or your target countries. Chances are a lot of people on this forum who are into Japanese animation are from Western countries and aren't Japanese themselves. The reason they even know about this genre is because it has been adapted to appeal to the West.

I have also noticed that many of the characters look more white or at least look like Japanese people with Caucasian skin tones.

In short it is all about marketing and sales. It is a little like some people who say that Rap or Hip Hop music has been appropriated by non black people. Maybe it has or hasn't the point is they mass marketed the music and as such it started to appeal to people outside of the communities which created it.

It has happened with lots of things it just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back