Randulf Selanmere

Teal

Certifiably Political
Alright, first character profile submission to this site. Grey helped a lot with the concept. Stats aren't included, at Grey's suggestion.

I'm not quite sure what his relationship with the Crown Prince is like, so I've left that ambiguous. I think the Prince's name is Rickhardt, though I'm not completely sure (and left that out as well).

Anyway, tell me what works and what doesn't?

Name: Randulf Selanmere

Sex: Male

Nationality: Kelen

Social Status: Knight

Appearance: Randulf takes after his mother in many respects - his features are narrow, his eyes are blue, and his hair a dark blond, typically worn long. But, his Selanmere blood spoils much of his traditional appeal - between a prominent nose, the unnatural pallor of his skin, a frosty cast to his eyes and the faded hue of his hair, he often seems off-putting at a glance, though is not exactly unattractive. He favors dark colors - especially those of his House - and silver jewelry, especially chains and religious icons. The extremely observant sometimes still detect traces of the warrior he used to be - but he rarely carries weapons openly any more.

A small crystal vial filled with an unknown liquid always hangs around his throat. While it is usually hidden beneath his shirt, were one to taste it, they would likely vomit – whatever is inside is beyond rancid.

Vice: Playing the court.

Pride: Serving the Prince.

Regrets: ???

Fears: Failing to notice a plot.

Hopes: To matter.

Biography: A fixture of the court since his teenaged years as a squire, Randulf is a knight in name, minor lord in appearance and bodyguard to the heir to the throne in truth.

The third child of Christoff Selanmere, present bodyguard to the king, and Maria Selanmere, of House Straker and the present head of House Selanmere, Randulf inherited his father's magic at birth, and - much later - found his mother's skill for courtly intrigue. Neither of his elder siblings managed the former, making Randulf - by House tradition - destined to follow in his father's footsteps as guardian and close companion to the next King of Kelen.

In addition to the education typical of nobles, Randulf was instructed in the necromantic lore, spycraft, assassination and medical traditions of his House. He excelled most in his martial lessons - unfortunate, as his role would not require such skills while the land was at peace. Yet, these same skills served him well when he was shipped off to the capital - yet another House tradition - to study as a squire.

His teenaged years were turbulent. Cursed with House Selanmere's tendency toward excess and blessed with a natural affinity toward violence, fights with his peers and revelry marred his reputation. A few close-calls aside however, Randulf managed to avoid instigating any true life-destroying catastrophes. Eventually, after a few delays, he did achieve knighthood.

Randulf is now a normal fixture of the court, virtually always seen in the shadow of the prince. He's rarely seen carrying a blade or in armor these days - and though the observant can still detect signs of the predator he once was in his movements, there's little resemblance between his adult and teenaged self beyond that. He's acts more like a fool than a knight now, with a quick smile, warm laugh or witty quirk always at the ready. Some still wonder at the impetus of this change, but Randulf's never told the whole truth of that to anyone.

Politically, as a Selanmere, Randulf is assumed to be both a mage sympathizer and socially liberal. Both of these things are true, though he rarely involves himself in serious debates. It is quite difficult to appear harmless while becoming an active player in controversy, after all. Even so, such a reputation makes few people inclined to view him as an upstanding member of the court - quite the opposite, really. He makes little effort to change this - attending church only as often as necessary and making no secret of his access to alchemies of...questionable moral value.

Where combat is concerned, Randulf’s skills have deteriorated much since his youth – enough that he feels surprisingly uncomfortable a sword in-hand. Still, he typically carries a handful of slender knives on his person. In the event that combat is expected, he would look to various drugs to make up the difference.

Were the Prince’s life to hang in the balance however, he always carries a much more powerful stimulant in a small vial on his person. Though harmless (if extremely unpleasant in flavor) in this world, taken in the World Without a Sun, the substance starts a chain reaction which temporarily augments his physical capacities to the edge of human ability – while tearing his muscles apart from the inside out. Death would be messy, painful and certain. Appropriately, the solution is referred to as Last Chance.

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attributes
Major        Minor        etc.
Dexterity: 2    Composure: 3    Bearing:   2
Guile:     3    Intellect: 3    Fitness:   2
Willpower: 3    Intuition: 2    Strength:  2

Skills
Athletics:  1    Intimidate:  2    Politics:    2
Academics:  1    Investigate: 2    Ranged:      0
Artisan:    1    Language:    2    Stealth:     1
Alchemy:    1    Leadership:  0    Strategy:    0
Awareness:  2    Lore:        2    Streetsavvy: 0
Craft:      0    Medicine:    0    Subterfuge:  3
Commerce:   0    Melee:       1    Survival:    0
Etiquette:  3    Mingling:    0    Tactics:     0
Empathy:    1    Parry:       0    Thievery:    0
Evasion:    1    Persuasion:  2    Thrown:      0
Governance: 1    Perform:     1    Unarmed:     0

Languages: Kelene, Old Imperial

Specialities:
Assassination (Melee)
Kelenite Politics (Politics)
Philosophies of Death (Academics)
Playing the Fool (Subterfuge)
World Without a Sun (Lore)

Derived Stats
Melee: 3 (4 w/Assassination)
Unarmed: 2
Ranged: 2
Defence Rating: 2
Dodge Rating: 3
Soak: 2
Speed: 4
Combat Pool: 6
Ranged Pool: 6

Health: 10
Condition: 20

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks perfectly fine to me. When it comes time for stats, he gets +1 Lore, Subterfuge, Stealth, and Politics.

Aaaaand after far more time spent fussing over numbers than I probably should have, basic stat divisions:

Code:
Attributes
Major        Minor        etc.
Dexterity: 2    Composure: 3    Bearing:   2
Guile:     3    Fitness:   2    Intellect: 2
Willpower: 3    Intuition: 2    Strength:  2

Skills
Athletics:  1    Intimidate:  1    Politics:    2
Academics:  1    Investigate: 2    Ranged:      0
Artisan:    1    Language:    2    Stealth:     1
Alchemy:    1    Leadership:  0    Strategy:    0
Awareness:  2    Lore:        1    Streetsavvy: 0
Craft:      0    Medicine:    1    Subterfuge:  2
Commerce:   0    Melee:       1    Survival:    0
Etiquette:  2    Mingling:    0    Tactics:     0
Empathy:    2    Parry:       0     Thievery:    0
Evasion:    1    Persuasion:  1    Thrown:      0
Governance: 0    Perform:     1     Unarmed:     0

Artisan: Gardening
Languages: Kelene, Old Imperial

Specialities:
Assassination (Melee)
Kelenite Politics (Politics)
Recreational Alchemy (Alchemy)
World Without a Sun (Lore)

Someone might need to check my math, but that should be the basic 21 skill ranks, major/minor attributes and 4 specialties, plus the four extra skill ranks Grey gave me. Put an Artisan skill in Gardening, since he needs some kinda hobby. I'd assume he makes very nice looking gardens, but needs a servant to keep them alive. Might be decent at flower arrangement, assuming I can extend it like that.

...only occurs to me now to wonder if dressing yourself as a noble qualifies as something requiring the Artisan field. Might need to move some things around again, if it is. Grey?

Anyway, Grey also (generously) threw me another 45xp, invested as follows:

Etiquette 3 (-6)

Governance 1 (-6)

Intuition 3 (-15)

Lore 2 (-3)

Persuasion 2 (-3)

Playing the Fool (Subterfuge) (-6)

Subterfuge 3 (-6)

I've also had to make a few backstory revisions - dropped references to heresy, economics, lessened the emphasis on his status as a courtly predator, tried to play up the harmless fool angle a little more. I'm hoping that's all okay, Grey?

Looks great. Approved. Now we just have to discuss our opening.

Oh, and no, need for Artisan to dress appropriately. Flower arrangement is legit.

Moved some experience around to give Randulf Governance 1 in place of Athletics and Perform 2. Hopefully this'll be the last revision.

Turns out he's expected to sit through council meetings, so he'd pick up this-and-that, I'm sure.

With Grey's permission, the following numbers are being altered to reflect some changes in how the character turned out in-play. Grey's final approval here is still pending.

The xp put into Intuition is being moved to Intellect (making it 2 and 3 respectively). For flavor purposes, Intellect will replace Fitness as a Minor Attribute. I'll also be converting his dot in Alchemy and the related Specialty, to Medicine and Philosophy on Death (Academics) respectively . ...I'll leave the artisan dot in, though as an unspecified area of artistic flair, if that's alright. Empathy will be reduced to 1, and Intimidate increased to 2.

Also got 6xp and I'll spend it on Melee 2. He's been brushing up on his vital organs abilities over the last six-months.

While I'm revisiting him, I do want to make his flaws clear - well, except Regrets. ...I don't have a good regret for him yet. Will add more to these if I need to. I'm also moving them to the first post here, which I'm going to try and edit for style, clarity and conciseness (I'm pretty sure I'll just give up after a few tries, though).

Vice: Playing the court.

Pride: Serving the Prince.

Regrets: ???

Fears: Failing to notice a plot.

Hopes: To matter.

Hoping that's all cool?

Users who are viewing this thread