Other Random question of the day

Random question of the day:

What would you do if you were one day playing a video game, got sucked into the TV and became a character in the game you were playing?
If it’s the Final Fantasy VII universe I’d freak out at first. Then I’d go to look for anyone and try to exchange info before doing anything else you know try to get my feel of the environment.

No clue what any of those are except for apple- I know this isnt a choice but a PC would be my option

Why did people think it was a good idea to adapt some iconic movies (Rambo, Beetlejuice, Jurassic Park etc.) into cartoons for kids?
I actually liked the Beetlejuice cartoon, tbh
I AM thankful that they never made the second movie, though. It was going to be set as a Hawaiian vacation theme. yuk

Appeal to wider audience = more money, parents watching adaptations of their fav movies with kids = more money. That's probably the only reasoning behind any kind of adaptation.

I pretty much agree with Onmyoji Onmyoji , that is the reasoning you’d likely need to convince a board of executives, though some creators would probably also have the simple passion or desire to expand on a project/story or to put their own spin to it ,which I think can lead both to some good and some bad results. If on one hand a creator trying to add their own spin in something they took for themselves can completely mess up the final result and potentially tarnish the reputation of a whole franchise as a result, from what I’m told some cartoon adaptations for example did have of the best portrayals of certain characters and great stories to boot.

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

Is it better for a video game to peak in story but tank in gameplay or peak in gameplay but tank in story?

Is it better for a video game to peak in story but tank in gameplay or peak in gameplay but tank in story?
Definitely gamepIay over story. I run through a lot of games and completely forego the story. Like Skyrim and Fallout, for instance. And the only reason I really get into and keep playing a game is because of the character creation and customization, and overall gameplay. But customization on its own won't keep my interest if the gameplay sucks. Divinity: Original sin is a perfect example of pretty decent customization with shitty gameplay that had me nope the fuck out and ask for my money back from Steam before my return window expired.

Peak in gameplay but tank in story.
Think about Street Fighter or Tekken games. Does anyone remember the story? Well, maybe only dedicated fans. Yet they're still some of the most popular games with thousands of active players.

I prefer storyline over gameplay. Mainly cuz I play games like undertale. Unravel1 and 2. And stuff like that. Where it has a lot of storyline or some sort of AWSOME ending. Like a interactive movie. But then I also play games like Minecraft too and stranded deep. So I guess I'm in the middle? But overall story over game

I prefer story as I’m making my way through my third run of Wild Arms 1. It has such a compelling plot and rich cast of characters with their own stories and goals it kept me going although I’m only 18 hours into the game. It has everything that Wild Arms 2 and 4 lacked.

I think games should generally favor gameplay. Of course ideally none of the elements is missing and the two should be quite closely linked in many games, but not only are you playing a game so you favored having gameplay over being told a story straight up, but indeed the gameplay is often going to be both a requirement for progressing the story and the majority of the time you spend on it. Many players will skip the story but those who don’t and want to engage in the story may be turned away by poor gameplay that makes it too hard or boring to even reach the story.

What do you do if ideas for roleplays/stories/other written works fail to take off?
if there was substantial worldbuilding I had made, I store it on Docs. I regularly recycle snippets of various different RPs and refurbish them into new ideas later on. One of my favorite characters is actually the long-term manifestation of combining elements of three separate characters that were created over a span of about 8 or 9 years from the first to the last one.

As far as the storylines and/or settings I had created, those can usually be repackaged and altered to fit a new genre or setting as well.

It depends, but the general three strategies are 1) Try again later; 2) Modify it; 3) Try something else, all of which interspersed with just doing other things besides writing.

When it comes to roleplay, I am never just doing one idea if we’re talking 1x1s, and either way I generally have some roleplays going on and many of my ideas fail. Is it disappointing when an idea doesn’t take off? Yes, but I don’t stake everything on any given thing taking off to begin with. And if I want something bad enough to try again I try again later or tweak some of the details to either adjust to my changing preferences or to try to make it more appealing to certain groups.

That being said, I do put my investment once an idea is underway, and for roleplays which did get to start or at least where we got past the initial planning phase, my personal philosophy is to try to make it worth it even if it doesn’t go anywhere. I want to make things that I can look back proudly on so I don’t feel I wasted my time. I try to make things as well as I can to give them that kind of value for me.

No, never. I'm not sure it was a thing at my school at all

I was a menace, went to public school

Mouthing off to other kids n teachers, vaping, skipping class. suspended a few times

but now I'm a much more easygoing guy

Have you ever had to serve detention in school? If so, what was it for?
omg.... detention? We're talking about twenty+ years ago. I'd be very hard pressed to remember specific details about any of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back