Other Random question of the day

Is Twitter going under? I
What do you like to use as a healthy alternative to soda?

Nothing. It can’t be replaced, not in a healthy way, from where I’m standing. What one can do is control the intake to stay within a reasonable amount. Otherwise just drink water and perhaps the occasional fruit juice.

okay, but seriously though, I don't actually drink much soda because the carbonation burns my throat. Not really appealing. I drink teas and water most of the time

I’d also say warm tea or sparkling water. Sparkling water is super refreshing when you’re parched and warm tea is good anytime. It’s probably my favourite morning drink to perk up. ^^

Random question of the day:

What is the best example and the worst example of character development in a movie/TV show/video game (In your opinion)?
one of the best examples of character development was in the movie The Deer Hunter (1978). There is a scene in the movie where the characters are all in a little bar. Not like in a seedy nighttime drunken kind of way. It's a little more rustic, as they live in one of those old mountain logging communities. But the scene basically encapsulates their friendship and camraderie and they are just hanging out and one of them starts playing the piano and they start to gather around. The scene goes on for a bit without words. Nowadays, I feel like this whole scene would have just been cut from the final edit. Which bring me to my next point.

A lot, and I mean the VAST majority of movies made in like the last 15 years (+) years seems to not even HAVE character developement and just throw tired cliches and familiar archetypes at you instead. They dont actually develop the characters because they are the same canned character trope you've already seen in the last thirty movies you've watched. Pretty much everything by Disney uses this kind of formula. And action movies arent really known for their character depth, either. I dot watch dramas or romances much. But the few that I have are sooooo boring and typical and you can see the plot "twists" coming a mile away. This, especially when they use actors that have been type-cast, so you already know what kind of character they are going to be.

What is the best example and the worst example of character development in a movie/TV show/video game (In your opinion)?
The contestants for best that come to mind for me are probably The Good Place and Lucifer. Both are shows whose ultimate purpose is to show character growth over a long period of time, especially The Good Place. Both are completely centered around redemption and change, and I think they both pull them off very well.

The only bad example that pops up for me right away is post-S5 Supernatural.
There was certainly a lot of character development in the first five seasons, but once the show was handed off to different writers, it changed from one long, plotted-out arc into one completely new arc per season. This made the show EXTREMELY repetitive.
If I had ten bucks for every time Sam & Dean decide to lie, keep secrets, wind up getting found out, and resolve it with an emotional "I'm sorry, I'll do better", only to do the same exact thing mere episodes, or even SCENES later... Well, I could buy myself a better show.

What's even more unfortunate is that it gets worse yet. By the time you reach the end of the series (15 seasons is too long for any continuous series), the personalities have become so watered down that you can't really pick out any differences between their individual character traits. They hold the same values. They use the same words. Any of them could be swapped out for each other, and it really wouldn't cause issues. Which is an issue. They stagnated, and ultimately they sunk together into the same, amorphous personality.

It's really such a shame, because the Sam and Dean from season 1 were vastly different people from vastly different backgrounds. It made their dynamic interesting and volatile, which made it all the more satisfying when we saw how much they'd matured by season 5, learning from their many, many mistakes. Good character development did exist in Supernatural, once upon a time, but time can really kill anything.

Should movies/TV shows/video games do more tropes where the hero visits a universe where they're the villain and the villain is the hero?

Should movies/TV shows/video games do more tropes where the hero visits a universe where they're the villain and the villain is the hero?
nah, they should just straight up make more games where you can make decisions and be the villain.

I mean marvel has done it with spider-man there is a version of him who's actually evil i'm not to sure of villians being hero's in there world unless you can count redeemed loki as one but videogame wise i haven't seen marvel bring in the evil spider-man and such or any other franchise if you ask me murdergurl has a better thought were we make decisions that'll lead us down a certain path of either good or evil and honestly there are games that do allow us to make decisions that'll later affect what happens in the game undertale and the tall tale stories are two examples i can think of that let you decide a path or action that'd later affect the gameplay depending on what you do in the begining or what you say

Is there any kind of concept that movies/TV shows/video games ruined for you?
i remember when the zombie trope was mostly secluded to Romero films, over-the-top fantasy tropes, rockabilly, and heavy metal iconery. but now zombies are everywhere and it's kind of annoying how popular they are.

also, vampires. They are a sad and limp representation from what they were in decades past.

Definitely the concept of being transported to another dimension. I can definitely enjoy a good book, show or game where the concept is present, but it isn't very impactful anymore as a key narrative element. It just feels like a shortcut to skip coming up with complex and believable motivations and instead opt for an easy and generic "get back home" motivation. There's no personal motivation to it, something that only that character is motivated to do. You can't mentally insert yourself or someone else into that role and reasonably say "the motivation would be different" because they're too low effort and universal. Even if the world itself is really well designed, the level of effort put into the main character's motivation makes everything too difficult to get invested into because of expectations.

Sure, from a financial perspective it's an alright decision, less time spent on coming up with the motivation, time equals money, all that, plus more generic motivation means wider audience to relate to said motivation, but at the end of the day you're sacrificing quality for quantity. Sure, more people are going to watch or read the start, but a lower percentage of those people are going to actually see it all the way through, much less feel fully satisfied when (if ever) the motivation gets resolved, and that's why for example in the anime industry, there's this oversaturation of incomplete single-season 'isekai' anime.

What's the most uncomfortable moment you've experienced when meeting your boyfriend/girlfriend's family?
when the topic of religion comes up and they ask me what my beliefs are. I'm like... whoooah,boy... do I speak up honestly? Or just kinda duck out? Because the former almost always ruffles up feathers. People who are areligious never ask about such things, so when those questions get asked, I already know they are church goers, and my own views are gonna clash with theirs.

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

What's the most evil mission you've ever done in a video game?
I mean, in Jade Empire you can take an "evil" path and eventually you have to betray and murder some of your companions in order to gain full rapport with the evil ones. It was basically a Chinese mythology version of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, or Fable. Actually, now that I think about it, both of those games also had some pretty evil missions if you went "dark side". Like, in Fable, you basically have to sacrifice your sister if you want to attain the endgame sword. And in SWKotOR you also betray your companions in exchange for power and dominance, etc.

Oh, and in Farcry 3 you have to betray your friends and let them die (which you basically spend the whole game rescuing in the first place) if you want to take the native island tribal leader as your squeeze.

Probably it was on the Spore space exploration phase. During that phase of the game, just about the only universal species players would encounter (the rest being randomized) was the Grox. They are pretty a genocidal extremely xenophobic alien species and the only way to get them to not be completely hostile to you is to turn against the rest of the galaxy at their request. While I haven't tried to appease them in every run, in some I did, and that basically amounted to having to try to exterminate whole space empires. (also now that I think about it, the phases prior to space could also be seen as kinda evil, since they involve bringing several sapient species to extinction and world conquest via literally buying countries, religious indoctrination, or military force (you can also do it through diplomacy, but that one ain't evil).).

Would you be able to stay in a large house on a small island with no internet and no electronics for a timespan of six months in exchange for a million dollars?

Would you be able to stay in a large house on a small island with no internet and no electronics for a timespan of six months in exchange for a million dollars?
concerns over food arise. If there is a simple way to keep from starving, sure. No problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back