Other Random question of the day

Random question of the day:

What quote from any form of media (Example: "This means war!", "It's quiet, too quiet...", et cetera.) have you always wanted to use in real life?

I keep using "This is madness!!" Because it's often needed.

tenor.gif

The weirdest thing I ever dreamed about was being in a zombie apocalypse and I was on top of a truck taunting the zombies below but then I got too close to the edge and tripped and fell but when I hit the ground I woke up.

They used to make a sound when you press the volume up or down key but it's not really a popping sound, more like "squip". XD

I'm such a nerd I literally went into the other room and turned on my Mac just to test it and there were no sounds. I distinctly remember it on older Macs though, unless I'm going mad or some Mandela Effect thing is happening.

Could cancel culture be considered slander?

No. Not cancelling, or cancel culture as a whole, but some things said about people during the course of cancelling them on Twitter etc. could be considered libellous (libel is slander in written form, slander refers to spoken lies) if they were untrue.

Could cancel culture be considered slander?

I wouldn’t necessarily say it is slander, but I would say it amplifies and feeds off of slander. Cancel culture takes something someone thinks is an issue or something someone allegedly did and creates a mob mentality focused on some blown out of proportion version of it- while some of these cases are true, and debatably deserving of the ensuing punishment, the fact is that cancel culture is predicated on taking slander at face value- otherwise there wouldn’t be enough cases for us to call it a cancel “culture”.

I wouldn’t necessarily say it is slander, but I would say it amplifies and feeds off of slander. Cancel culture takes something someone thinks is an issue or something someone allegedly did and creates a mob mentality focused on some blown out of proportion version of it- while some of these cases are true, and debatably deserving of the ensuing punishment, the fact is that cancel culture is predicated on taking slander at face value- otherwise there wouldn’t be enough cases for us to call it a cancel “culture”.

The real question is: are these things defamatory or lies OR are they things that are true but that people take offence at?

The real question is: are these things defamatory or lies OR are they things that are true but that people take offence at?

Well, most of them are defamation, I’d say. However, something that ought to be understood from my perspective is this: If you seek to punish someone for something you don’t know they did, that’s no difference from trying to punish them based on defamation.

The second thing is that a lot of cancel culture is based on people misinterpreting the statements of others, reading subtext that isn’t really there, from people who view literally everything under the lens of that subtext.

Some of it is of course going to be true, but only for a fraction of these cases do we have any sensible reason to believe they are.

The only answer I have for that is that cancel culture kinda sucks lol

probably most of the shows I used to watch would be like that now

Yugioh. The show was something me and one of my younger siblings used to watch back in the day (there was even this one time they asked me to wake them up so we could watch the episode that was really early, and he just wouldn't wake up so I slapped him awake), but as I grew up and I started noticing the problems with the writing and with the gameplay it started to really put me off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back