Other Random question of the day

I don't usually, but I'm thinking for this year to try stay more in contact with my friends (we've all moved different places for university)

I don’t have anything specific planned or written out since then I’d never follow it but I’ll try to be a better person in general!

First off, Happy New Year to all users of RPNation! May 2022 bring you lots of joy and welfare!

Random question of the day:

Do you plan any resolutions for the new year? If so, what's one of your resolutions for this year?
nah. I've never understood the point of NewYear resolutions. Like, why do you have to wait for the new year? If you endeavor to make a resolution to do something, just do it. Why does the new year matter?

I'm gonna keep it practical and simple. My resolution for this year is to move my body more and keep on top of appointments.

What's one fanbase that you can never please?
gonna hafta double down on the Star Wars. Also Warhammer 40k, as well as Star Trek. I don't subscribe myself to a whole lot of fandoms, but those are three that I'm part of in which the fans are in a perpetual whine-fest about SOMEthing

Last edited:
All of them. There will always be people who are never satisfied in any fanbase

What if there's no evil plot, conspiracy or corruption, and our governments are just genuinely unintelligent? (If I have asked this question before, let me know and I'll ask a different one.)

What if there's no evil plot, conspiracy or corruption, and our governments are just genuinely unintelligent? (If I have asked this question before, let me know and I'll ask a different one.)
i wouldn't say unintelligent... but I think they are just so tied up in bureaucracy that they become ineffective and ass-backwards in functionality. Sure, greed and corruption definitely exist. But as a whole, I think the machine just has too many moving parts

power corupts... i think there are certainly incompetent people in government... but there are corupt folks as well

I mean I think you’d be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t think there is corruption in government. You’ll likely find a lot of people who think “the other side” is corrupt and their own sides are paragons of truth and justice, or you may find people who think there isn’t a lot of corruption and it’s more a few scandals, but corruption is something directly incentivized by the way government structure operate as not only is the power in politics excellent for all kinds of corrupt goals - from seeking power itself, to bribes and so on- but corruption itself presents a tactical advantage in securing positions in government, even in the most democratic aspects as it means support from other people who are also corrupt. After all someone with integrity is not going to do favors back for their support, so the corrupt have an incentive to assist one another to perpetuate their own benefits.

As for large scale "evil plots" or "conspiracies" some are probably real, though I wouldn't know which. Well, not evil plots per say as that invokes something of a cartoonish supervillain idea and its probably just a lot of greedy/power-hungry people coupled with a lot of people who are genuinely convinced they can manipulate variables they don't understand. Still, monkeys and typewriters. By the sheer nature of probability there's bound to be some conspiracy here or there. But for the most part, at least as far as the colloquial sense of the word is concerned, the vast vast majority of conspiracies are either false or not conspiracies at all (for example, things simply mislabeled as conspiracies when in actuality they are just things that fall outside the mainstream narrative), I believe.

Adding to that there's a great deal of ineffectiveness and incompetence as well, but I wouldn't say it's a matter of unintelligence. Politicians are often smart or at least cunning, well-educated and often given their age presumably have a certain amount of experience too. But for one thing, there's only so much a human being can specialize in and handle at once, and the politician's specialties are more often than not politics-oriented. Does the person in charge of policy on agriculture really understand agriculture? Do they have at least the least the same degree of expertise or even simply theoretical knowledge as an entrepreneur of that field? And then, we have the second problem: Politicians don't acknowledge openly if not internally, their own limits. Costs, consequences, feasibility , simple yet massive gaps in information... All of these things are crucial to account for in policy making, yet often seem to be afterthoughts for anyone not in the opposition at a given time, and all of that without mentioning their goal is wise or the restraints of bureaucracy and democratic checks on power. Politicians are no more and no less prone to bad ideas and judgements as the rest of us, but they are some of the types who most tends to forget this and who has the actual ability to enforce those ideas and judgements. But then, what realistic politician could be elected? Who thinks "Yeah we're going to have to increase your taxes by like 20% just to make a dent on our country's debt" is a good public outlook? The most sensible thing to do is often a boring and ugly compromise, minimizing negative consequences but still accepting those that will inevitably exist. Churcill's famous "Blood, Sweat and Tears" speech is one of the few instances I can think of where such a proposal ever captured the hearts and minds.

Is it true that using Instagram does not make you a good photographer?
wouldn't know. I dont have an instagram account. I do have an old camera, though. But I'm not a good photographer despite having taken a small class on it in highschool (20 years ago), so i never really use it. Ironically, my dad is a professional photographer (he doesnt have an instagram, either) :-P

I don’t see why it would, outside of possibly the person themselves getting invested in photography and thus learning and practicing it… But there’s no guarantee people will do that, especially those most vain.

It does give you more experience with photography but it doesn’t essentially make you better at it since a lot of people just use filters I believe. I don’t have Instagram just saying if that changes anything this is just what makes sense in my mind

(Speaking as somebody who uses Instagram and is a very amateur photographer)
Instagram doesn't objectively make you better or worse. Sure it might expose you to other types of photography or give you inspiration for your own photography, but the act of using it is not going to make you better or worse.
I wouldn't argue that Instagram having filters make you a better photographer, more advanced cameras have built in filters anyway (black and white, sepia, high contrast etc) as does most photo editing software.
The only way to improve your photography is to practice and to experiment or to take a proper class

It does not. However it can motivate you to improve.

Without question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back