Other Random question of the day

Random question of the day:

Is there a video game franchise from your childhood that has given you memories that will last forever?
Quake.

I LOVED playing this with my cousins and little brother. Mind you this was way back in the day before Halo or the massive production of FPS games. There were not nearly as many titles with that POV. Doom, Duke Nuke 'Em, Unreal, and a couple others. But it wasn't all hella popular.

ANYways. 4-player split-screen was the only way to play. None of this lan-line or online business. So we were always peeking at each other's screens to try and find out where each other were. Someone would be waiting around the corner with a rail gun, just conveniently waiting for the other to come around a corner the KNEW they were coming up on.

And all the accusations and hissy fits of being a "screen-watcher"! Ah, good times.

Pokemon, Warcraft 3, Medieval 2/Rome Total War, Neverwinter Nights and Halo probably had the biggest effect on my young life and I have a lot of memories of all of them. Halo, specifically, being the first game that just blew my child mind with what I was seeing.

That would be World of Warcraft for me. I remember first playing it when I was around 5, so it's not a very clear memory, and I would doubt it if not for the fact I know our first password (we had a family account back when we first got the game) was based on that age. But back to said memory, I was at my cousin's house I think for a birthday party, and walked in on my cousin playing the game. I just kind of stood there watching them play, until they let me try it too. From there on out I would play every time I went to their house, and after my younger brother was gifted the game on his birthday we both went on to play it pretty much until nearly the end of highschool.

In a big sense, World of Warcraft was the introduction I had to a lot of different things. For a long time I was the one arranging and organizing the division of the time me and my brothers had to play. Scheduling and persistently following through with goals or routines was something that the nature of the game helped me learn (in fact during the Garrison era in which I often just logged in to go around collecting Garrison rewards and doing dailies, I began listening to the Writing Excuses podcast which I feel greatly helped improve my writing and approach to writing). It even played a major role in me learning English. There were arguments, low points and I definitely spent too much time on it, but there was also so much fun and the occasional achievement to fill this casual player with a sense of accomplishment. It was just a game, but it was a game I loved.

When I was younger my life revolved around Pokemon. It was all I ever talked about, to the point that I'm surprised I had friends who'd put up with me. I played through Platinum, Pokemon Ranger:Shadows of Almia, and the first two sets of Mystery Dungeon games more times than I can count. Pokemon roleplays were even what got me started writing back in middle school. I don't play Pokemon much anymore, but I still pick them up every now and again for the nostalgia.

Random question of the day:

What kind of mascot did your high school have for sports games?
Well... lemme tell ya. I mostly went to one high school for 3 out of 4 years. But my last year, I actually went to our rival school. I got ratted out over some drug issues, and I figured out who narc'd me. So since the other people didn't feel "safe" with me knowing it was them, I was forced out. The other school was the next closest district.

ANYways, my first school was a Panther, and the second one was a Tiger.

My school didn't have any mascot. Or any sports games...

The Trojans. Although we didn't have like a mascot suit, but teenagers being teenagers, kids would buy trojan condoms and then staple/tape the wrappers together to make things out of for games. Like banners, tape them to signs and there was an unofficial 'tradition' where a few kids every game would wear 'vest' made out of condom wrappers.

How did y'all not have mascots? Do some schools just not bother?
I think it's a cultural thing. In my country there aren't any schools that have mascots. Or at least I never heard of any, so if they exist it's definitely not common.

I am the oldest of four, and as far as cousins go, I have several uncles and aunts and most of them are married with multiple children, most of which are younger than me.

...That being said, I don't recall many "crazy" experiences. It's not like there aren't any, but I'm guessing this is one of those situations where two days later I'm gonna go "oh yeah, there was that one time!" but it will be too late.

Siblings no. Cousins yes - I have 2 younger cousins.
I don't remember any crazy experiences with them. We only met a few times when we were all little and haven't met since then, so even if we did something crazy it was long forgotten.

Good god yes, just younger then me for siblings, I have a younger stepsister and five younger siblings [Two brothers on my dads, two sisters and a brother from my mom]. If anyone is curious, I also have three older stepbrothers. For cousins, I have around 15 that I saw, and see, frequently to this day. 2, in particular, being ones I grew up with [As in hung out with every weekend] due to being around the same age [One was nine months older then me, the other is like 5 months younger or something].

Lots of stories, many of which, probably the craziest, being things I don't remember till days after this. I can just randomly sprout off some, I suppose, so they [My two cousins, they're brothers] lived next to this rich kid, you know, the one that always had food, that had so much 'stuff' that you could never fathom owning all that, who had a younger brother with so many toys you couldn't see the carpet in his room cause just covered in toys [Their house was also super gross and unsanitary], but he had two trampolines [Yeah, I know, who has two and why do they have two?] but we used to push the two trampolines together and play football on them. Jumping from one to the other. Now, it sounds dumb, because it is, and because we were equally young and stupid, we'd purposely wait on the other trampoline for the guy with the ball to try and jump between and smash them while they were jumping between them [Or try to jump at them like an interception missile]. Despite this, and some nasty hits, including one time where I got hit so hard I sailed over the trampoline and crashed into the ground, no one was ever seriously hurt from this.

Another time, we were fishing [I have a lot of fishing stories], and I threw my reel back to cast, hooked Charles [my cousin] in the ear and didn't notice his 'Ouch, stop stop' until I had already thrown the line forward so the hook pierced his ear. He still won't stand behind me while I cast to this day.

Or Charles and I were taking out the back window of this van for our grandfather [I was like 17], anyways, as we were pulling the adhesive, I was holding the window to ensure it wouldn't drop, and there was a sudden crack, the entire window cracked. Not like a big crack, or two cracks, the entire window cracked. It was like looking at a window made of crushed ice, thousands of individual shards somehow held together to look like crushed ice... we looked at one another O.O full shock and just 'what the fuck is happening' and the moment I turned back to the window it imploded. Every shard of glass pulled into the back of the van. It was such a surreal experience.

I have a lot of little stories like that. 🤔 Man, I feel old now.

I have one little brother. Though, at the moment, no particularly crazy moments come to mind. We were close as kids. But after highschool, he moved out of state and I was busy struggling with life for years. We still talk over the phone every blue moon. But the convos are always brief. Wow....this is kinda depressing, tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back