Other Random question of the day

I wouldn't call it a mistake, at least not in concept. The idea of letting people communicate and maintain relationships on a large scale such as Facebook and the like allow was a good concept, and probably an inevitable one to boot. The execution, on the other hand, hasn't been the best. Perhaps if policies had been different when social media was established it wouldn't be so vitriolic.

TRAVEL
I miss my friend, last time we met was January 2019 because we live in different countries and the borders are still closed.

Go to the movies if those are somehow still up, and go to restaurants. If possible I’d like to get a job or at least an internship somewhere.

I've been saying since the lockdowns started that when it's all over I want to go to the zoo. Or the aquarium. Or both.

Random question of the day:

What's one thing you're going to do as soon as the COVID-19 pandemic is over?

sigh knowing that there are less rpers online due to the pandemic being over...
maybe suffer a little in in-person school, too. lol.

I'd say Stardust but it's not super faithful to the book. I actually liked it more than the book because of the changes it had.

I can adopt a really specific voice and do Bugs Bunny's "What's up, doc?"
also Yogi Bear's "I'm smarter than the average bear"

I'm still not too sure why these specifically, but I take what I can get

Random question of the day:

Can you do any impressions of fictional characters?

Yes, I'm pretty good at impressions and doing accents. So ... I can do quite a lot. XD

A favourite one in my house is either of us doing an impression of Ned Stark investigating Joffrey's lineage. "Robert Baratheon: black of hair. Joffrey Baratheon: golden haired!" I don't know why I love that scene so much but it's hilarious.

I also like doing Dave Lister. Or any of the Red Dwarf characters really.

I can do impressions of LWJ if I play a guqin and don't talk.

They spent all budget on designers. Not much left for writers.

A publishing company is somewhat savvy about what the signs are for a good writer, as it is their fields of speciality. However companies, especially big ones, often hire writers based on how they perceive things, which is more market / trend analysis than it is assessing if a writer is competent. It’s very hard to put “is creative and knows how to handle themes and character development well” on a graph, and it doesn’t even necessarily translate to money, nor is it a surface-level element that is easy to identify and effectively indisputable. This is a big part of the reason why basically everything becomes a formula that is drilled to the ground, the window dressing is very easy to identify but the core of why a story works or not is too abstract a thing to do so.

There are more reasons to be sure, but I think this one of the big ones- writers aren’t being hired based on their competence or even to write a good story per se, they are hired more to figure how to assemble a puzzle. When given more constraints those aren’t based on what works, and the writer’s own skill isn’t valued enough for the company to make sure they get the right people for the job when giving them more freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back