Other Random question of the day: The Discussions

Just took this one right to Discussions. Someone might think I meant them.

The question was: "What's one thing that the internet has taught us?"

If we were to ask Eleanor Roosevelt, she would say we have a lot of small minds. I would put it more like - people are nosey and love to gossip. But that is just a nicer way to say the same thing.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt (She foresaw social media.)

Esper Esper as poor practice as it may be, or little sense it may make or a big of a cliche it may, again, be, I don’t think falling in love instantly would really qualify as a red flag. Mushy story telling is something a person can just enjoy, and even outside of that a character could be taking feelings of love at face value when in fact they merely a more physical attraction or projecting associated feelings, both of which are interesting avenues to explore that would at the start resemble instantly falling in love.

Since I sometimes ask loaded questions that are bound to spark discussion in the Random question of the day thread, here's a separate thread that allows discussion of the loaded questions as to not clog up the question thread. So if I end up asking any loaded questions in the Random question of the day thread, you're allowed to discuss them in here. :)

You know what I've come for.

Hand over the goods. 😏

You know what I've come for.

Hand over the goods. 😏
What characters from TV shows/movies/video games do I consider worthy of a spin-off? Well, the first characters I can think of are Team Chaotix from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. These guys don't get enough appreciation from Sega in my eyes. I mean, there's a lot you can do with them when it comes to games. You can give them their own puzzle game where you have them solve cases like in L.A. Noire or Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth. And you can even have them work in a platformer game. I mean, you could give Vector puzzle based brawler stages inspired by the night stages from Sonic Unleashed, you could give Espio fast paced action stages inspired by the day stages from Sonic Unleashed and you could give Charmy flying stages inspired by the Tornado Defense stages from Sonic Unleashed. There's just so much potential for games starring Team Chaotix. Those are the first characters off the top of my head that I think are worthy of a spin-off.

Hmm ... I am honestly not sure of this one ... but maybe ... maybe ... Star Trek: Section 31. I'm not sure what era. Another Star Trek spin off might be Temporal Wars. Yet another, Fall of Iconia.

Hmm ... I am honestly not sure of this one ... but maybe ... maybe ... Star Trek: Section 31. I'm not sure what era. Another Star Trek spin off might be Temporal Wars. Yet another, Fall of Iconia.
This could better work in the official thread rather than the discussions thread.

Mitheral and I bringing the chaos.

I don't think I know anything much about the Sonic universe. I played the games when I was a kid ( Like Sega Genesis era ). But I know they've come out with a couple games over the years that I've enjoyed. Don't know if they have any puzzle games like that already, but I'd be down to play some.

Taking it straight to Discussion. LOL.

Height vs Intelligence. In reality there is a small correlation between height and intelligence. Taller people tend to have greater intelligence. At least that is what studies have shown.

Taking it straight to Discussion. LOL.

Height vs Intelligence. In reality there is a small correlation between height and intelligence. Taller people tend to have greater intelligence. At least that is what studies have shown.
Yeah, my parents have told me that tall people tend to be really smart in real life. Take one of my neighbors, for example. He's very tall, yet he isn't unintelligent whatsoever. In fact, he's a brilliant businessman with his own company. It's just that I often see tall people with a lot of muscle mass get portrayed as buffoonish yet well meaning oafs in popular culture.

Yeah, my parents have told me that tall people tend to be really smart in real life. Take one of my neighbors, for example. He's very tall, yet he isn't unintelligent whatsoever. In fact, he's a brilliant businessman with his own company. It's just that I often see tall people with a lot of muscle mass get portrayed as buffoonish yet well meaning oafs in popular culture.
So more a case of Jocks (rather than tall people) being stereotyped as less intelligent.

Well, IDEALLY it should.
Real world is not ideal. 😭
I mean, I wish that was the truth. But I've lost several jobs over the years because of problems the company had that were over my rung of employment. I busted my butt doing a great job for them, but they had no second thoughts about letting me go, or otherwise fucking things up on an administrative level so that the position I had no longer existed.

As a 38-year-old who's been working since she was 12, had over 20 different jobs in her life, gone to college 3 times, and is currently settling for being a cashier at a grocery store.... lemme tell ya that idealizing the notion of "hard work = good things will come", is simply not true.

Idea Idea So for example, a YouTuber such as James Rolfe, who's best known on YouTube for creating the Angry Video Game Nerd series shouldn't have to retire the series because he still has fun doing the series and sometimes takes a break from doing AVGN videos by occasionally covering other movie/TV show/video game related videos? Do I understand where you're going with your answer to today's question?

Idea Idea So for example, a YouTuber such as James Rolfe, who's best known on YouTube for creating the Angry Video Game Nerd series shouldn't have to retire the series because he still has fun doing the series and sometimes takes a break from doing AVGN videos by occasionally covering other movie/TV show/video game related videos?

Not exactly. My answer was more on the permanent side - you don't have to retire as a youtuber but you may want to move on to a different series if it's really gotten to the point where it's really not worth continuing it.

Of course if it is worth continuing just not all the time, then taking a break from it until a good topic presents itself is indeed a valid strategy.

Not exactly. My answer was more on the permanent side - you don't have to retire as a youtuber but you may want to move on to a different series if it's really gotten to the point where it's really not worth continuing it.

Of course if it is worth continuing just not all the time, then taking a break from it until a good topic presents itself is indeed a valid strategy.
I see. I personally feel that if YouTubers like James keep doing the series they've been doing for years, they're eventually gonna run out of ideas, but I suppose it's not nice to tell people to stop doing what makes them happy. Besides, another person on another site told me that if YouTubers are gonna be running out of video ideas at some point, they'd probably use all of these ideas before retiring their series, so that's probably another reason why you shouldn't tell YouTubers to stop doing what makes them happy.

I see. I personally feel that if YouTubers like James keep doing the series they've been doing for years, they're eventually gonna run out of ideas, but I suppose it's not nice to tell people to stop doing what makes them happy. Besides, another person on another site told me that if YouTubers are gonna be running out of video ideas at some point, they'd probably use all of these ideas before retiring their series, so that's probably another reason why you shouldn't tell YouTubers to stop doing what makes them happy.

Sure. As I said though - my statement is about them retiring as youtubers. You don't need to retire as a youtuber, and a series might be retired if it runs out of ideas, but you can still keep going just with something else. Or else put a series on hiatus until you have ideas for it again.

Sure. As I said though - my statement is about them retiring as youtubers. You don't need to retire as a youtuber, and a series might be retired if it runs out of ideas, but you can still keep going just with something else. Or else put a series on hiatus until you have ideas for it again.
Right, right. Guess I misunderstood your statement. You are right in that people like James don't have to retire as YouTubers. After all, he's at a point in his career as a YouTuber where it would be weird to quit YouTube as a whole. After all, YouTube has become his day job, and he's got two daughters to support, so that's where a share of his income from his YouTube content most likely goes to. James is very grateful that people are watching his videos, and at the same time helping him support his girls, as he has acknowledged this in one of his videos. And seeing as there's plenty of things to cover when it comes to James' field of YouTube content (Movies, TV shows, video games, et cetera), even if James were to retire the AVGN series, he'd still have plenty of other content to make videos on, and like you said, if James did run out of ideas for his AVGN series, he could always just put the AVGN series on hiatus until he does have ideas for it again. But I honestly don't watch the newer AVGN videos that much anymore because James has made over 200 of these AVGN videos and it's honestly lost its charm in my eyes. That's why I prefer to watch the older AVGN stuff from 2004-2014 instead, with me occasionally watching AVGN stuff released after 2014.

ut I honestly don't watch the newer AVGN videos that much anymore because James has made over 200 of these AVGN videos and it's honestly lost its charm in my eyes. That's why I prefer to watch the older AVGN stuff from 2004-2014 instead, with me occasionally watching AVGN stuff released after 2014.

Fair enough. Though one ought to take into account that even if something lost its charm in your eyes, a newer audience may not think the same. After all just because you may have watched hundreds of them and gotten tired of it as a result, that doesn't mean that they decreased in quality. It's something that I often bring up when I'm discussing tropes or genres that are particularly prone to formulas, that there is a distinction between something using a formula and something which neglecting to maintain or improve itself because it uses a formula or tropes.

Fair enough. Though one ought to take into account that even if something lost its charm in your eyes, a newer audience may not think the same. After all just because you may have watched hundreds of them and gotten tired of it as a result, that doesn't mean that they decreased in quality. It's something that I often bring up when I'm discussing tropes or genres that are particularly prone to formulas, that there is a distinction between something using a formula and something which neglecting to maintain or improve itself because it uses a formula or tropes.
Very true. While I'm part of James' older audience and I feel that his AVGN videos have lost their charm after I've watched hundreds of these videos, a newer and younger audience might feel differently about James' newer AVGN videos. After all, James' newest AVGN video has gotten around a million views in only the first two to three weeks that the video has been up, so James is clearly still doing something right with his AVGN videos. So there's clearly still people who enjoy watching AVGN videos regardless of James having made over 200 of them, and James clearly still enjoys making these AVGN videos despite having made over 200 of them, and he's clearly still grateful that people are watching these videos and making it worthwhile to keep making them and helping in supporting his kids. That's what makes a great YouTuber to me, even if I don't find enjoyment in watching his newer videos anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back