• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Raildex (A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun)

Which side would you rather be on?

• Scientific

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Magical

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

CelticHero37

The Druid

00_main.jpg
ACADEMY CITY
A district of schools and other educational institutions that stand alongside the most advanced scientific communities and laboratories in the world. The city is known for its research into higher technology and psychic powers. Those who employ such powers are called Espers. More on that later.
Although the city is located in the Tokyo metropolitan area, it retains a certain autonomy that is upheld by a wall and other such defenses. That is not to say that it is completely isolated, though. On the contrary, the city is flourishing metropolis in its own right.
Many see it as an incorruptible bastion for the field of science. However, just like any other country, just like every other experiment; there's politics, hidden agendas, scandals, and all sorts of secrets that could ruin the city if they were known. This city is where our story begins.​
ESPERS
maxresdefault.jpg Are people who have the capacity to perform psychic powers. All Espers emit an AIM Diffusion Field that is connected to their Personal Reality. When an Esper uses their power, they are replacing the normal reality with their own personal reality. That isn't so important, though.
What is important is that Espers need to train in order to strengthen their abilities. Just like any other skill, some find it easier than others. An Espers ability to control their personal reality is measured from level zero to five. Five being someone with exceptional talent, and zero being someone with no discernible ability -- with the average Esper getting no higher than a level three.

43bfb7d632158b602855ec4ff0acfacff57a6a3c_hq.jpg

MAGICIANS

Are those who have studied the magic arts. The practice arose as a way for those with no talent to be able to do the same things as those with talent, or Espers. While it provides the user with a wider variety of abilities, it's not without drawbacks. Magic spells must be properly set up beforehand. If not, the spell backfires and fries the brain of the caster, or worse.
Magic is generally kept a secret from the wider world. Even most Espers are completely unaware of their existence. Despite this fact, magicians have a deeper connection to Academy City than one might think.
Our Story Begins
It is the beginning of October, and for the past few weeks there have been an increasing amount of unexplained events. As a result, Academy City is hosting an event as a much needed distraction. All students are eligible to participate in a special city-wide hunt for five hidden 'relics'. Teamwork is encouraged, regardless of school, and festivities have sprung up around this event. It is unknown what the prize will be, but it's said to be something amazing. But is there something going on behind the scenes?

In this RP, you will be able to play Espers and Magicians. The links to the RP are at the top of this page. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!​

Yo! You know what RPNation is missing?

That's right, A great Raildex RP!

With all the amazing RPs to be found on this site, the fact that there isn't a functional Raildex RP going on yet is unacceptable.

Raku-Ichijou-0l9aomNqP-b.gif
UNACCEPTABLE I TELL YOU!

That's why I've taken it upon myself to get this thing started. We're going to do a Raildex RP, you hear me?! I won't take no for an answer! Now, I'll admit, I generally prefer to let other people start RPs, but for this I'll make an exception. I'm done not having a Raildex RP in my life! So we're gonna do this thing!

In order to pull something as fantastic as this off, though, I'm gonna need your help. There's two ways you could do so:​
  1. State your interest here and answer the poll.
  2. Share any ideas you might have and would be willing to share!
I'm leaning toward doing an AU. However, I don't have a solid idea for a story yet, but I'd love to develop a general idea with you guys! Let's work together and build a fantastic RP! I'm determined to make this work, but in order do do so, I need to know you're with me! Join this RP and it will be glorious!

1366067850124.jpg
PLEEEASE XD

ickdn5.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose I'm always up for a shot at Raildex. Do you have any loose ideas for a plot? I've got an old idea involving a SCHOOL/DRAGON-esk special ops team, but that's quite a specific scenario. I'd imagine more success for the RP with something more open. Since it's an AU you can be pretty ballsy, hell, it doesn't even have to take place in Academy City. I imagine it will, but that's just an example.

I have a few loose ideas, but nothing concrete yet. However, it's a shame that RPNation hasn't had a good Raildex RP yet, so I'm determined to get one started. One of the ideas I wouldn't exactly call an AU. I was thinking it might be cool to do something that happens alongside the main story and have our characters slowly come into the spotlight from being relative nobodies. The spec ops esc idea could work in that regard. Otherwise, on the AU side of things, that might actually work as an organization we'd have to fight. That doesn't mean we could have players inside the organization as well. Perhaps they're just not aware of the corruption at the top. Actually, that might be a pretty interesting way to start it off. I'm figuring it would probably still be centered in Academy City.

Personally I think it's rather touchy to involve OCs with the main story of a fandom RP, but that's up to you. Raildex conveniently is split into two parts with Old and New Testament, so you could do an AU RP while keeping the normal characters and lore in tact by making an alternate timeline after Old Testament. The best positive of AUs is that it allows the use of Level 5s, Saints, and Seats of God I guess without worrying about conflicting with the lore. For that to apply in a alt timeline, though, it'd have to be a decent bit in the future. Could be fun? Having the regular cast either be dead or just be 20 to 40 years older allows for a lot more freedom. Either in just not having to deal with them or being able to re-interpret their character.

I mostly bought up the spec-ops thing because its a fairly easy way to get the Magical and Scientific casts together, but it also sets a very specific atmosphere. If you've read any of the light novels the difference in tone in the ones about Accelerator and the ones about Touma are a good example.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wasn't set on having it as an alternate timeline. That was just an option I was milling about in my head. Although I do kinda like the idea of doing it further in the future but still being able to draw on the main cast occasionally as like side characters or something. Might be a nice easter egg. Although that's not a necessary aspect.

Yeah, I know what you mean there. Perhaps it could start out with more of a secret recruitment program. Something to test out the skills of the students before roping them into the spec ops program. That would provide an opening to do a little bit of the school-going side of things and give characters some time to get to know each other before the big action starts.

A rag tag group of misfits swept up by powers beyond their grasp! Pulled into a dark new world! Very good. I like it. Especially if the participants are roped in unwilling or unaware. Leaving the option for them to be consenting too, I suppose. Depends on how hidden you want the organization to be. Could have them like, puppeteering the cast into meeting oNE another or something, too.

Yeah, like they could be chosen to be part of this group and then maybe they're told they need some extra classes or something and it isn't until they're already in too deep that they realize what's really going on. Being a spec ops sort of unit would be a good reason for it to be hidden in general, and at the beginning it might seem like a decent organization once the students figure out what it is. Heck, they might even get excited that they were chosen for something so special. Only to realize that they've been manipulated to do the dirty work of a two sided organization that pits young espers against young magicians for the sake of study. So perhaps they have to kidnap some of the magicians too or something. That way we could allow characters to be magicians too if they wanted. What do you think?

Well, as per my invitation I will be stating my interest here. I can't promise to absolutely keep that interest seeing as to my own discomfort with some elements of this particular series and extremely loose paths would likely kill my motivation for this in an instant, but for what it's worth, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I tried running a raildex RP some time ago, and since I'm probably never gonna do that again, I might as well share the plot I used. It was a race/treasure hunt type plot, with the elements of the race being mysteriously placed all over the city and people being invited in means nobody is capable of finding out. Supposedly there is a great prize for the winner.

This could be done in either teams or individuals only.

No need to kipnap the Magicians. It's quite normal for the Dark Side of the city to hire them. Both the underground and higher ups of the city work with them, so regardless of the origins of the group it wouldn't be unusual to pay the magi off of bait them in like the students.

Though having a reluctant member be kidnapped would be pretty fun, haha.

No need to kipnap the Magicians. It's quite normal for the Dark Side of the city to hire them. Both the underground and higher ups of the city work with them, so regardless of the origins of the group it wouldn't be unusual to pay the magi off of bait them in like the students.

Though having a reluctant member be kidnapped would be pretty fun, haha.
Yeah, that's right. I think I got a pretty solid idea forming in my head now. I'll start working on putting it together when I get a chance. The first hurdle, though, would be to garner some more interest. So I think the first thing I'll work on is a more detailed/concrete interest check.

Well, as per my invitation I will be stating my interest here. I can't promise to absolutely keep that interest seeing as to my own discomfort with some elements of this particular series and extremely loose paths would likely kill my motivation for this in an instant, but for what it's worth, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I tried running a raildex RP some time ago, and since I'm probably never gonna do that again, I might as well share the plot I used. It was a race/treasure hunt type plot, with the elements of the race being mysteriously placed all over the city and people being invited in means nobody is capable of finding out. Supposedly there is a great prize for the winner.

This could be done in either teams or individuals only.
Thanks for the idea! ...no pun intended :P I can already see a good way to work that in to what I've got forming.

Yeah, I'm gonna try to create a concrete idea so things don't get too distracted from the point. I've noticed the trouble people have had in the past trying to start up Raildex RPs. But I'm confident I can make this work. As for the discomforts, I'll do my best to make this a fun and engaging RP for everybody. If there's anything in particular that might turn you away, feel free to let me know either here or in a PM.

I love this anime so much!!! The ending of A certain Magical Index was really good.

Last edited:
I'm interested. I voted magical, but I'm fine with either. I'm fine with any plot, but I can offer additional ideas, once the majority decide on one concept to focus on.

I seem to have stumbled upon something quite interesting. I would definitely be interested. That is if you don't mind someone who is a bit rusty. I have only just returned from a very long break from rping and rpnation.

Alright guys. Took me a little longer to get to than I expected, but let me know what you think about this new interest check in the following post. Should I just replace the first post here with this or should I start a whole new interest check with this intro? Either way, I think we've got enough interest here for me to put together the RP. It'll take me a few days to get everything set up, but I'll get the character sheets out early so you can start working on them if you'd like. That's all for now. If there are any questions, just let me know.

Alright guys. Took me a little longer to get to than I expected, but let me know what you think about this new interest check in the following post. Should I just replace the first post here with this or should I start a whole new interest check with this intro? Either way, I think we've got enough interest here for me to put together the RP. It'll take me a few days to get everything set up, but I'll get the character sheets out early so you can start working on them if you'd like. That's all for now. If there are any questions, just let me know.
One very important question. Where did you get oyur profile picture? Its so cute! XD

Do it here. For one thing, duplicates will run the risk of being deleted by the staff and for two, it's easier for people to orient themselves if things are kept in the same thread

00_main.jpg
ACADEMY CITY
A district of schools and other educational institutions that stand alongside the most advanced scientific communities and laboratories in the world. The city is known for its research into higher technology and psychic powers. Those who employ such powers are called Espers. More on that later.
Although the city is located in the Tokyo metropolitan area, it retains a certain autonomy that is upheld by a wall and other such defenses. That is not to say that it is completely isolated, though. On the contrary, the city is flourishing metropolis in its own right.
Many see it as an incorruptible bastion for the field of science. However, just like any other country, just like every other experiment; there's politics, hidden agendas, scandals, and all sorts of secrets that could ruin the city if they were known. This city is where our story begins.​
ESPERS
maxresdefault.jpg Are people who have the capacity to perform psychic powers. All Espers emit an AIM Diffusion Field that is connected to their Personal Reality. When an Esper uses their power, they are replacing the normal reality with their own personal reality. That isn't so important, though.
What is important is that Espers need to train in order to strengthen their abilities. Just like any other skill, some find it easier than others. An Espers ability to control their personal reality is measured from level zero to five. Five being someone with exceptional talent, and zero being someone with no discernible ability -- with the average Esper getting no higher than a level three.

43bfb7d632158b602855ec4ff0acfacff57a6a3c_hq.jpg

MAGICIANS

Are those who have studied the magic arts. The practice arose as a way for those with no talent to be able to do the same things as those with talent, or Espers. While it provides the user with a wider variety of abilities, it's not without drawbacks. Magic spells must be properly set up beforehand. If not, the spell backfires and fries the brain of the caster, or worse.
Magic is generally kept a secret from the wider world. Even most Espers are completely unaware of their existence. Despite this fact, magicians have a deeper connection to Academy City than one might think.
Our Story Begins
It is the beginning of October, and for the past few weeks there have been an increasing amount of unexplained events. As a result, Academy City is hosting an event as a much needed distraction. All students are eligible to participate in a special city-wide hunt for five hidden 'relics'. Teamwork is encouraged, regardless of school, and festivities have sprung up around this event. It is unknown what the prize will be, but it's said to be something amazing. But is there something going on behind the scenes?

In this RP, you will be able to play Espers and Magicians. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!​

Welp... that's not how it looked in my workshop :P I know it'll probably need some work, but let me know what you think and if it all makes sense.

If the students are the ones invited, how can we play magicians and be part of the plot?
Tis a good question indeed. The magicians are part of the 'something going on behind the scenes'. I wanted to show what the magicians would be up to as well, but my dilemma was the only way I could explain it in a way that made sense at the moment might result in giving away some secrets that I didn't want to yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back