• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [🜏] r i t u a l

rumblebee.

I ate a bug today
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
xlQUGRm.png

hzdtQQ0.png

x . elric
WARNING animal death

Autumn had only just begun to show its frigid face. The dew that clung to blades of grass no longer feared the day’s harsh heat. Leaves trembled in breezes that threatened to drop them to their deaths. Within the shelter of a tree that had been hollowed by flames born of lightning sat rows of clay figurines. Only one had been laid horizontally, awaiting the burial of its muse to join them in death. Among the roots, the figure of a young man stirred. His tent of worn linens shuddered upon its wooden posts.
He rose before the sun.
The first action of his day was to be a circle drawn in the leaflitter with a branch. The totems he placed at the five corners of a star had been rudimentarily carved by a knife he snagged from a local hunter near the end of summer. A few stings on his hands still reminded him of the endeavor.
Elric left the circle just as the sun began to crest over the horizon. He had grown a distaste for the humming it emitted over time, far preferring the birdsong a short distance away.
He walked with bare feet upon the forest floor, stepping over each root and stone as if he had laid them out himself. The clothes he managed to nab over the years clung to his thin frame as well as to each other with the assistance of shoddy patchwork. Long, red hair tangled about his dirtied features; he did what he could with it, but ultimately his options were few.
Dark eyes settled on a snare trap he had set up the day before, his heart sinking when the very much alive rabbit struggled to release its foot from the wire. Elric’s features scrunched as he drew a lip between his teeth.

He knew putting it out of its misery was his only option. He knew it was kind. He also knew he would have to do the same to another helpless animal come sunset, but for some reason feeding himself was accompanied by more guilt than a mere sacrifice to keep an entire town safe.
Hesitant was his steps that closed the gap, kneeling beside the animal. He closed his eyes before curling his fingers into the soft fur, the wriggling coming to a swift end.
He forced each shred of emotion from his face deep into his gut before resetting the trap with nimble fingers. The trek back to where he called home was plagued with a flood of thoughts.
If I kill, I eat.
If I eat, I live.
If I live, they live.

He clenched his jaw as he passed the God-forsaken humming, already dreading the following morning.

((Hey there.))

“What. . .What are you doing here?” (Shackle walked up to him. She had blonde tangled curls, very fairly pale skin. Her eyes were odd, and her was wearing a black turtleneck and skin tight jeans.)

((Mind if I join in?))

It was really unfair to bring her someplace new and then tell her that she couldn’t explore. Like putting scraps in front of a dog and expecting them not to eat any. Eventually, neither one of them would be able to help themselves anymore. As she snuck out the back door of her and Kit’s new home, Amity reassured herself that it was fine. She was still a good girl even if she broke the rules just this once.

Up until the journey with her brother their experience with the forest had been, well, none. The only thing that could come close was perhaps an orchard, but even that was very different. Orchards weren’t wild the way the woods were. And though Amity may have been ‘stubborn’ and ‘too curious for her own good’, she wasn’t dumb. There was reason to be wary, more than once she’d been told she could find herself lost in them, or worse. The girl couldn’t be sure if the kitchen knife she’d slipped in the pocket of her apron would do much against a wolf, or anything else that might be out to get her. She really hoped that she didn’t have to find out, either.

The fabric remnants she’d brought along would help with the first problem, if anything. Amity tied them onto tree branches every so often to help guide her way back to the village should she need it. She didn’t intend to go too far away but once she’d lost sight of the houses it was hard to tell where she was, especially when the deer-trails she followed just seemed to keep going forever. Running out of fabric might be a good indication of when to turn back.

Amity decided that the early morning atmosphere was worth the risk she was taking by venturing out to experience it. The sounds of birds singing their morning songs, breeze rustling gently through the leaves all around her, soft sunlight starting to peek through the trees. Every so often she was lucky enough to catch sight of a squirrel, or a rabbit, or even once the tail-end of a doe. Spotting another person however very nearly made her heart stop.

Movement had gotten her attention, but the trees and leaves still clinging onto branches obscured her line of sight until they suddenly didn’t and Amity was able to see whatever, or whoever it had been more clearly. Her initial reaction was to hide herself behind a tree, not wanting to be caught and marched back home to her brother. But as she peeked from around the trunk to get another look as they continued on, she noticed that they didn‘t quite look like anyone from the village. Whether that made it better or worse, she didn’t know.

Regardless, after the initial panic had mostly subsided she was left feeling mostly confused and even more curious. Enough to come out from her hiding place and follow after them, having to trot a little to catch up and doing her best to do so quietly. Amity didn’t get too close though, just in case.

“Excuse me?” The girl called out gently, nervously, not wanting to startle them if she didn’t already have their attention. “Hello,” she greeted as an afterthought before adding, “It’s strange to run into you all the way out here, isn’t it?” As if the very same couldn’t apply even more so to herself.

Last edited:

Too engulfed in his resentment for the demonic humming, Elric leapt as hard as it felt his heart had when he heard a stranger speak. He dropped the rabbit he carried, whipping around without another thought of it. He only grew increasingly confused, his face doing nothing to hide it. A girl? All the way out here? One he had never seen before, at that. He was always meticulous to keep a clay figurine of everyone in the village, and was certain he would have noticed someone her age before then. She must be new. Strange. They didn't get many foreigners.
Far too many seconds had gone by before he remembered to speak. "N- Wh- Y-" He could only muster stammers in a rasping tone, as if dusting off the aged tome that was his voice. "No." He followed a clearing of his throat with a head tilt and narrowed eyes, releasing an exasperated breath. "I'm... Always here."
In fact, it wasn't strange to run into him there at all. It was, however, strange to see a perfectly healthy and casually dressed young woman wandering about. That, he admitted, was a first.

Amity was very quick to offer an apology, she certainly hadn’t meant to startle him that badly. Or at all really, but she supposed it had been sort of inevitable given the way she’d more or less snuck up on him. After that she was quiet too, giving him the chance to speak and almost beginning to wonder if he was able to. When he finally did it wasn’t much, but her question was technically answered. Although, it only had her feeling about as confused as he seemed to be.

”Oh. You..are?” She replied, like there was any real doubt that he was telling the truth. He did sort of look like he belonged here after all, not in a bad way, just in a way that the girl would really doubt anyone would go through the trouble of faking. In the same vein he was a little bit intimidating, she decided. “So it’s only me who’s out of place then,” Amity added with a small, slightly nervous smile.

“And I can’t imagine you come across many others out here, do you?” She couldn’t help asking, since his response had left just enough room to wonder.

"No one comes out this far."
The bewilderment had settled on his face as he cautiously kneeled to pick up the rabbit. Was he being tested? No devil had made their presence known to him without being up front about their expectations. He wasn't exactly sure how to continue the conversation, unsure of the last time he'd interacted with another human.
Elric stood once more, never tearing his eyes from her. His grip was a little tight around the rabbit as he pondered his next move. Nothing came to mind, so in a panic he simply turned to rush away.
His mind raced as he sped for his ramshackle home. Now she knew he was out there. Would she tell anyone else? Would he have to relocate? Maybe if he had spoken to her, she would forget encountering him. He stopped dead. Perhaps he should have spoken to her.
Nah, too tricky. Back home, back home, back home...
He stopped again at the edge of the circle he had drawn earlier. The blood drained from his face when he heard her distant footsteps over the humming. Muttering an apology under his breath, he began to kick leaves over the circle, trying desperately not to disturb the shapes beneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back