• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Quests and How Not To Lose Them

Hazmat44

Ignore the radiation. I do that all the time.
The sign out front had been crossed off.

It didn't matter who you were. Most people took one look at the wooden sign hanging over the doors, inscribed with the words "SCREW YOU" scratched over the lovingly etched "Lonely Siren", and rather fairly decided that anywhere else would be safer.

Safer, unfortunately, wasn't much when it came to the variety and depth of taste that the Lonely Siren, henceforth to be referred to as the Screw You, had behind its disguised veneer. It was an older building than most, with detailed artwork carved into its wooden buttresses and arches. A window which had once been stained-glass imperiously watched the cobbled road before it.

Sure, it got drafty as all get out in winter, and the summer heat would reduce even the hardiest man to a sweaty mess within minutes, but it was all worth it for the food.

No one knew why the food tasted so good. Rumors said it was elves. Gossip said it was a runaway Royal Chef. A commonly held hidden worry was that it had some kind of drug in it. Whatever the case, no one was allowed in the kitchen, and it didn't matter if you had a warrant. The Screw You would find a way to make anyone who tried to investigate the kitchen... disappear, to put it nicely. Health inspectors, guardsmen, wizards, they all vanished. Hopefully they didn't end up in the food, but it regrettably stayed just that; a hope, and a meager one at that.

Thankfully, you have no interest in going into the kitchens.

Yet, at least.

Anyway, the food's great, the people stick to themselves for the most part, and the quests aren't usually that bad. Just your luck, though, the one you signed up for was a group mission. Your companions would be random, and given the nature of the job, you'd be with them for a while.

How you feel about that... is up to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Rules are simple, have a grasp on basic grammar and spelling ability, don't make your character ridiculously overpowered, be polite, and be 18+. Have fun, and see you soon!

Theddeus was a large Fox Beastman, who was overly popular as the silent Healer. He, however, normally never got anyone to join him in a party. He was viewed as useless. However, given the quest he signed up for, he was hopeful that he'd have party members who didn't hate him. After all, he knew new people were coming. He, of course, was still fearful. After all, he was scared easily.

Ansapi was drinking milk again.

He hated the stereotype, hated the people who instigated it, hated the people who made jokes about it, and really just people in general. But the milk itself? Too good to stop drinking.

It wasn't good enough to start an addiction, he knew that. The milk She had gotten for it was incomparably better, but the price of such a liquid was too high for Ansapi to want to pay.

Well, on most days, at least.

Today, he'd woken up in a worse mood than usual. He'd decided to sign up for a high-paying job the night before, a simple one from a town requesting assistance against some vaguely described threat he didn't care to think too deeply about. The part the guild hadn't mentioned was that it was a mandatory group job, and for some reason they had a system where groups were randomly composed of people who... well, didn't have a group.

So, there he was. Sitting at a table on a too-high stool, drinking milk.

What an awful start to a day.

Theddeus yawned and drank a cup of ale, honestly wanting to just drink his problems away. However, the bartender knew to cut him off at two, since three is when he got tipsy. Luckily, Theddeus didn't complain, as bad things happened when he got drunk, like arson. Yep, arson. Gentle fox is also a pyromaniac.

Ansapi could really go for some arson.

He wasn't capable of getting drunk - anymore, at least - and milk wasn't anywhere near toxic enough to make him feel something, but fire? Burning something down and just watching the flames? It was nice.

Someone walked up to him, a man bigger than most wearing furs and a nice hat. Glancing at a piece of paper, he gruffly asked, "Are you Ansapi?"

Ansapi glared at him and wondered if he would look nicer on fire. Probably, yes, but molten would definitely be preferable. "Yes."

The man nodded slowly, and then pointed off at another table. A truly massive foxman was drinking from a mug, and didn't seem to be in the mood to stop anytime soon. "That's one of the teammates the guild assigned to you. Good luck." Tipping his hat, he turned and headed back to the guild's back rooms.

Ansapi sighed inwardly.

Who knew, maybe the foxman liked arson too.

(I already love Ansapi, ngl. Love the fact that they're gonna bond over Arson XD)

The beastman saw the man come to him and point to Ansapi, telling him basically the same thing. He walked up to Ansapi and sighed. He just sat down next to the cat without a word and summoned a flame from his hand, seeming to enjoy the sight of it.

Ansapi's ears flicked up, and he felt his pupils dilate. The foxman could summon flame? That would come in handy.

If only that ability wasn't attached to... well, him.

He briefly considered saying something, and then decided against it. An awkward silence was just as capable of inflicting pain as a stab wound, and although the injury was different, it was nontheless effective. It had the added bonus of assisting Ansapi in determining what kind of person the foxman was.

He really wanted to learn that flame spell, though.

The foxman was able to bend the flame and create it to look like a house on fire. His smile was gentle, but twisted.

His eyes darted to Ansapi and he stopped, sighing.

The sigh spoke volumes, and Ansapi couldn't help but smile to himself. Aside from the flame spell (which was growing more interesting the more the foxman did with it), he based his companions' value on how often they'd spoken with him, if at all. He'd once cooperated with an insectkin which hadn't said a word to him on the entire five-week journey it took to acquire some special flower or another.

He missed that bug.

The foxman, though? Ansapi was having a hard time reading him. He liked fire, which was all well and good, but what else?

He chose to keep waiting.

The foxman watched Ansapi and narrowed his eyes. He hated the staring and silence, but he wouldn't talk himself. He created a sword out of Ice and created details easily.

He could make weapons out of ice? Were there limits to that ability? Could he make razor dust in someone's lungs?!

Ansapi was growing exponentially more curious about the spells the foxman was so casually using. Was it intended to be threatening? Impressive? What was his motive behind switching spells right next to him? The foxman hadn't touched his drink since he sat down, and he'd chosen to come to Ansapi's table as well. Thus far, his abilities looked interesting, but not much further than that. Perhaps he was some kind of elemental-focused creature? Ansapi had met those raised by spirits before, and their attunement to the primary elements was vastly above that of most others.

While... intriguing, to say the least, Ansapi still said nothing. Hopefully, the foxman would be just as quiet as its insectoid assistant from so long ago.

"You gonna keep staring at me?" He quietly whispered, his ears flattening in embarrassment, and he flicked his fingers upwards, creating an ice wall between them that doubled as a mirror on Ansapi's side.
It seemed Theddeus was easily flattered or emberrased.

A vicious grin slipped onto Ansapi's face, and he banished it immediately. So he was that kind of person.

A more moral person might have felt a small amount of guilt over inciting this sort of reaction in a creature they'd never met. Ansapi merely used it as a method of figuring him out.

"Staring at you?" Ansapi mused aloud, and he sensed a reaction through the ice mirror. Another helpful spell. "What is there to stare at?"

Theddeus didn't reply and just drank his ale. He honestly didn't like people who belittled him. If the cat did it again, there was gonna be a catfight, and fists were gonna fly, along with a lot of fire and thunder.

Well, he didn't rise to the bait.

While Ansapi was most assuredly in the mood (a bad one, as was mentioned previously) for a fight, beginning a potentially long journey with a fight would not end happily for either of them. More so for the foxman, but Ansapi most likely wouldn't get paid, and that was unacceptable.

"Alright," he began, setting the cup of milk down. "I am Ansapi. I assume you have a name?"

The Foxman sighed, "Theddeus. Pleasure's all mine, I suppose."

He took down the ice wall, and his golden eyes pierced into Ansapi's very being like daggers. However, they shined like gold, and gave off the aura of charm. It seemed he enjoyed fun in the night, not that anyone didn't.

"It certainly is." Ansapi said crisply. "Can you make razor dust out of the ice, or is it limited to open space?"

From an outside perspective; an utterly random question. An entirely different matter for Ansapi. How readily someone spoke about weapons and their potential was an easy method of identifying a better teammate. And questions were nothing if not an excellent manner of mining information - and to a lesser extent, potential blackmail.

Theddeus smiled twistedly, "Why? You want to learn my magic so you can use it against me?"

He was exxceptionally smart and gifted. He wouldn't just reveal his skills to anyone.

"Hardly. I have little intention of backstabbing you, unless you have a bottle of Cara du N'ya. Your magic does interest me, though. And how exactly would I learn your method of acheiving magic by asking information about it?" He took a sip of his milk. "And you still haven't told me your name, by the way."

Again, hardly a hypothetical question. If there was any way to figure magic out just by learning about it, Ansapi hadn't yet found it.

Perhaps the foxman would be more useful than he'd thought.

(Also, he DID say his name. Look up at the earlier messages XD)

"Well, what is your profession?" Theddeus asked, "I, for one, am a Cleric and Mage. I love both worlds, but there are other worlds I love to indulge in."

(dangit, you're right. whoops.)

"My profession lies largely in the darker realms of assassination, theft, mercenary occupations, and necromancy on occassion. A polar opposite from your own decisions, now that I think about it."

(i gotta go for now, but i'll be back in a bit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back