Spooky Writing Contest 2017 Questions and discussion go here!

Sorry about the delay on answers guys!

@Bubblegumyum10 We are not allowing Fandom. If you take inspiration from something that's fine, but we want the stories to be as original as possible.

BDark BDark If you'd like to make more than one submission you are welcome to. However, we encourage that you focus as much time and effort as you can into your stories rather than just trying to have a quantity vs quality game. As for your past stories, so long as they have not been posted yet you are allowed to use them.

@Lancelot Carrying over character names is fine.

@Nano could you please go into a little more detail on what you're asking? I'm not sure if I understand it entirely.
All raaaht!

just posted a spooky story.

question!
can you have as many stories as I want?

I have many a scary story that I've already written down. Can I submit more than one?

EDIT: Wait nevermind, yes I can

Is there a certain length that shouldn't be crossed for these stories? I have this story that I'm working on for this contest that, already, is almost four pages long.

I can't wait for the judgement day. Man it's gonna be sweet when John Connor overthrows Skynet and we find out the rankings for the stories.

Question! Do the stories posted here for this contest become property to the forum? As in, if I am submitting this story for publication elsewhere, would this conflict with that?

Neat contest though! Regardless, I'll have to edit my short story to censor some of the gore, as that's not allowed per forum rules. I think I can do that before the 15th! :P

It's not that we take ownership (it's our stance that works posted here belong to their creators, anyway) but what you should remember is that once something's on the Internet, it's pretty public. I don't know what that will do to your publishing rights, but it you're concerned about it, you might want to submit a story you weren't planning to publish elsewhere.

Is it possible to use a scene in a RP I created? I want to use that scene and add more to it. The RP died down due to inactive members, and I really want to either complete the story (not using their characters or any of their works, of course) or write an open ending to it.

So, ah, I rewrote my story because I thought it was crappy and I was wondering if it would be preferred if I just edited my current thread with the rewrite or posted the rewrite separately for a comparison kind of thing. 0-0 I don't want to cause any confusion or whatnot but I know some people take interest on how things shift and change so I thought I'd ask before going through with one or the other.

Is it possible to use a scene in a RP I created? I want to use that scene and add more to it. The RP died down due to inactive members, and I really want to either complete the story (not using their characters or any of their works, of course) or write an open ending to it.
I'll let Gilzar Gilzar answer that one!

So, ah, I rewrote my story because I thought it was crappy and I was wondering if it would be preferred if I just edited my current thread with the rewrite or posted the rewrite separately for a comparison kind of thing. 0-0 I don't want to cause any confusion or whatnot but I know some people take interest on how things shift and change so I thought I'd ask before going through with one or the other.
You may edit as much as you like before the submission period ends. Just not after. (And there will be a post here at that time, so there's no confusion.)

Svadilfari Svadilfari

So long as the scene is changed enough to the point that you didn't just copy/paste it, then I don't see any problem so long as the entire story is not set around that scene.

Error 420 Error 420

Judging will begin promptly after story admissions is closed, which will be at 12:00 AM Eastern Time (US). We will need roughly a week properly judge every story. As for scores, judges will have to keep them confidential. No judges will be able to give out any critique on your story while we are still scoring over the next week, as that could hint to what we've scored the story.

If you'd like critique on your story you're more than welcome to post it in the creativity section when we finish judging. At the moment we'd prefer you keep your story strictly in the contest section so that we can avoid confusion when running checks for plagiarism. I hope I've sufficiently answered your question!

Error 420 Error 420

Judging will begin promptly after story admissions is closed, which will be at 12:00 AM Eastern Time (US). We will need roughly a week properly judge every story. As for scores, judges will have to keep them confidential. No judges will be able to give out any critique on your story while we are still scoring over the next week, as that could hint to what we've scored the story.

If you'd like critique on your story you're more than welcome to post it in the creativity section when we finish judging. At the moment we'd prefer you keep your story strictly in the contest section so that we can avoid confusion when running checks for plagiarism. I hope I've sufficiently answered your question!
touching on the plagiarism thing. the story i submitted is a edited/updated story I made a little while back on another website. so just in case that pops up, then letting you know it's me and i'm not plagiarizing myself.

Along the same lines as the one above me: I posted mine on tumblr the same time I put it up here so that I could share it with friends. Will there be consideration for that?

I posted my second story on Wattpad and I shared my first multiple times. The second was originally intended for the thing we had last year (I think it was last year, anyway; not quite sure), but I never submitted it. So there's that. No plagiarism.

You filthy casuals drawing inspiration from various sources. My stories have never been seen before!! >=O

Is there an estimation on when the results will come in? I'm in no hurry to find out who won, just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back