• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Queen's Guard

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Enolx

Time to murder the English language.
The kingdom of Alexandria was once a weak land ruled by wealthy corrupt landlords. People suffered and with the country at the end of its ropes hope had never even been thought of as an option. As crime, violence, and slavery ran rampant one woman came forward to oppose it. Armed only with strong convictions and an unbreakable will, she fought against the evil that plagued her land.

Her will, passion, and knowledge drew the attention of the landlords who saw their power threatened. Even with the threats on her life she did not waver. When the threats became actual attempts on her life it seemed like it would be the end of the countries one ray of light. Just when the woman was about to break, alone in her fight, one by one warriors came. The warriors came from all walks of life drawn to the woman for one reason or another but, they all had one thing in common they were some of the strongest warriors in the country.

With the countries strongest warriors at her side and a goal for the future, she pressed on. Landlord after landlord fell to her, and soon she had freed the country from its oppressive system. The people knowing who they owed their new lives to declared the woman queen. The woman took the position with pride, knowing that from here she could make real change and protect the land she cared for. She also knew that she did not get here alone and because of that the warriors that stood by her before became her personal guard.

As the kingdom of Alexandria started becoming stable, greedy people and neighboring countries constantly attacked trying to take control of the newly revived country and it fertile lands and prime location for trade. Whenever the country was in danger the Queen's elite guard always managed to protect it. Their skills and abilities made the warriors and the Queen they served the symbol of the country.

Now Alexandria has established itself and when people hear the name Alexandria they think of the great queen who leads and her master guard who defends it.

“Saints and devils, I hate statecraft...” swore Amistasya with a, raspy tone. She’d been up since before the sun saw fit to begin its crawl across the heavens, merely picking at her food enough to keep the tea-jitters away. An oil lantern glowed somberly at her stationary, castling long and furtive shadows across the room. With a flourish of her quill, she put her signature, then the wax seal of her royal signet. Sighing deeply, Amistasya ran her hands down her face.

Even the idea of owning a signet, let alone one that other states recognized. Never in her wildest dreams would she have ever seen herself sitting where she was now, not before that night of crucible, where she first lead and killed men. They weren’t better times, not by a long shot, but they were simpler, in a way. Money was money, back then. Today, money was more than minted coin - coin that bore her face, no less. It was also measured in grain, textiles, livestock, and a plethora of other things.

Rising from her desk, Amistasya draped herself in the brocaded shawl she wore to ward off the pre-dawn chill. The rising sun casting amber-gold beams through the waning violet of the sky. There was a serenity to this particular hour that she always loved; in these moments, she was the only person in the world...

Amistasya shivered and pulled the shawl tighter. Enough of the waifish window-musings. However, when Amistasya crossed to her wardrobe, something stood out. Pausing, doing a double take, she saw an inky smear run across her freckled cheeks.

“Oh, of course! Bloody, burning drakeshit...” Of all the days when she’d needed to look presentable, she managed to do this.

"-you ever think that could be possible?"

A young guard blinked as his mind returned to the conversation before him, the serenity of the early morning casting it's first light upon the castle had stolen his attention. he turned to a fellow guard whose gruff little grumble of annoyance cemented in the young man's mind that his lack of notice was blatant.

"Pardon," he lowered his head "but might you repeat that?"

The gruff guard gave another grumble before gesturing along the edge of the castle courtyard, walking along their usual patrol route as he spoke again, "Listen Rookie, I asked if you ever think that blondie be usin' more magic than he sayin'?"

The younger guard blinked "Blonde? I was stationed her only two days ago sir, you'll have to be more-"

"The one in the Queen's Guard, lad, keep up!" the older guard glanced around the vast courtyard before continuing to grumble "Moves too quick. They say he just a man, but I ain't ever seen a man move like that."

"What about the- um... the Heretic?"

"She don't count! The day folks believe that one is similar to us in any way is the day I hang up my helmet and pick up farm-"

His spiel was interrupted by the sound of leaves shaking from a nearby tree. Both he and the younger guard followed the trail of falling leaves up to a dark form suspended by the tree's branches. Almost immediately the two backed up, with the older guard having to stifle an exclamation of surprise as he recognized the form of a human body. But that exclamation was apparently still more than enough to make the form flinch and begin twisting amongst the branches. Both of the guards aimed halberds at the form as it began falling to the ground, only for it to spin and land on all fours.

"Hell-Hag?!?" the older guard shook his head as he recognized one of the Queen's entourage, the very heretic his younger peer had brought up "What were you-? Again with this!?!"

Dani crouched low as she wiped a mess of dried muck and powder from her face. The gods had not been able to describe the effects of such a swill without her experiencing it, but it had left the rest of yesterday a jumbled mess for her to decipher later. Now, all this particular Heretic wished for was her nostrils and teeth to be cleared of the horrid flavor it had left in her mouth. So focused was she on being free of that accursed flavor that she barely recognized the guards until she leaned back and pulled her arms from her face to stretch.

"And where the hell is your top?!?"

Dani raised an eyebrow as the shouts began to register, her limbs already moving to loosen and move in preparation for the day "Wild need not for talk." she finally grumbled out whilst letting her eyes scan he roof of the castle for her missing attire "But body need for stop."

"What?" the younger guard raised an eyebrow until his elder groaned "What is she say-?"

"There!" Dani suddenly screeched, finger jabbing towards the top piece of her attire which was now liberally flowing from a window in the distance.

The Older Guard groaned at the sight before a nudge from his side brought his attention to his partner "Why was she in the tree?"

Before his elder could answer, the young man found himself spinning around as Dani lunged on him.

"God put me in tree, Child!" she shouted as he struggled to maintain balance

"Who? The Queen?!?"

"God!!!"

"T-the forest?!?"

"GOD!!!"

"I-I don't even know what you're saying!" he declared before Dani leaped off of him and began scurrying towards the nearest wall. He struggled with his breath, flinching when a hand clasped him on the shoulder.

"Finally," the older guard grumbled "a proper welcome to the Castle Garrison."

Dani climbed her way up the castle walls, eyes darting between the stone beneath her fingers to the piece o her attire liberally flowing in the wind. Once she made it to a section of roof she took off, feet and palms pounding as she drew closer to her target, requiring her to scale yet more of the castle's walls before she was finally able to pull her attire from the window and pull herself to the top. Once there, she took a moment to dress herself fully and raise a hand towards the sky before sniffing the wind. She'd thankfully gotten rid of most of that concoction during the initial cleaning and the climb that followed soon after, but it still blocked the smell too much. She couldn't rely on it to help find the goddess, which wasn't good. Dani needed to be privy to her location for the vast majority of time, if only to know whether she could get there quickly or not.

Crouching low, Dani began carefully traversing the Castle's roofs towards the Queen's room, intending to have the most innocent of peaks through the window to ensure whether her charge had left her lodgings or not. Carefully angling herself beside the window, Dani, slowly poked her head to the side to run her sharp gaze over as much of the room as possible. But she didn't have to look long, there she was...

Goddess made of weak flesh yet strong purpose, Dani stifled her breathing yet let her grin grow as her eyes tracked the Queen's movements. For the hundredth time she wondered which aptitude she would favor once she ascended. The trees were present when Dani first sighted her, yet there were far too many factors to consider that alone.

“Get up new blood,” a large burly man with titanic arms and a tattoo of the under king demanded “On the king himself if I get beat cause you, I will rip out your intestines through your anus.”

A much more spindly younger man scurried over to the man who still remained sleeping on grimy dirt floor and nudged him awake. “You you might want to get up,” he jitterly whispered “I have seen Luken do terrible things to men in these cells.” When the man on the ground slowly came to the spindly man skittered off to the front gate.”

“Your hands better be through those bars by the time I get there,” a voice yelled as he casually made his way down the creaky stair case.

Luken looked around and saw everyone but the man he had previously warned at the gate. “You son of a,” he grumbled as he stomped over to the sleeping man. In one smooth motion Luken had the sleeping man by the neck and lifted off the ground. As Luken held the man he made a few observations that added a hint of surprise to his rage. Despite the mess that covered the man, what little clothing he was wearing was fairly well done. There was no holes and very nice thread work, Luken should know as he was a cloth worker back in the day. The man’s weight was also a surprise to Luken. The caramel colored inmate was skinny, but weighed much more than he looked like he should. As he held the man, the strain started to make its way down his staunch Arrashian arms. Just as Luken was about to throw the man into the jail bars, he recognized the man.

“I know you,” he declared as he moved the waking man around to get a better look “You're that dancer boy from the market. What are you doing in here? Piss off the wrong shopkeeper?”

The caramel skinned dancer yawed casually even though Luken was still holding him off the ground by his throat. “No it was some priests,” the dancer answered “They did not take kindly to me sleeping on their alter. Guards then picked me up and brought me here. We should get to the bars by the way."

Luken let out a laugh at the nonchalance of the dancer after he recounted his previous experience in his current situation. He put the man down and gave him a hearty slap on his back, his previous emotions replaced with less harmful ones. "I guess you are right," Luken chuckled "Might wanna hobble over." The two then walked to the bars and put their hands through the bars as the jailer approached their cage.

"Nothing like compliance in the morning," the jailer declared as he walked past his wards "I see we have a new pair of arms today. Who might you..." The jailer's eyes shot wide as he took sight of the dark skinned man with dirty, but still brilliantly white hair. "Mamel you idiot," He said to himself embarrassed "Did you not even look at who you tossed in jail? How did you even get him in here." The guard made a quick salute towards the dancer. "Sharkali sir. I apologize for any inconvenience. I will let you out right away."

The guard quickly opened the gate through jittering hands. Luken looked at the dancer wondering why he warranted such reverence. It was at that point that the spindly youth from earlier perked up. "Sharkali," He exclaimed "As in Sharkali of the queen's guard?"

The gate swung open and the guard held it open for Sharkali. "What were you doing in here sir," the guard questioned.

"Serving my time like everyone else," Sharkali answered as he walked out still yawning "Till I see you all next."

Sharkali was met by the rising sun as he left the under ground jail and returned the land of the free. He reattached his belongings and measured the amount of time he had and then walked through the city towards his destination. As he walked the only people who walked the streets with him were tavern patrons making their way home, guards, and merchants preparing their shops for the day. After a short trip he arrived at a pristine lake a little ways outside of the city. He walked past the various fishermen that he saw on a daily basis, and made his way to his normal secluded area. Behind a nearby tree he pulled a washboard and some cleaning supplies. Sharkali then removed his bracers, the spiked chain that was wrapped around his waist, and his clothes. Even though the morning was frigid, especially near the lake, the chill didn't effect Sharkali. After putting his gear neatly on the grass near the tree, he made his way into the lake and washed his clothes. After placing his clothes on the tree to hang, he cleaned himself in the lake.

Sharkali came out of the misty lake with a pristine visage, his dark skin and pure white hair making him appear as a specter in the fog. He checked the sun and found that just as the days before, he was on time. He grabbed his clothes off of the tree and put them back on. Even though they were thin, they were still quite damp, but this was expected. After putting his clothes and his equipment on, Sharkali began to lightly jump in place. As the red and yellow rays of the morning hit him, he began to dance in the mist. After a short moment, the dance revealed itself for what it truly was, combat forms. Sharkali moved from his feat, to his hands, and on to every combination in between with a practiced ease and grace. Even the kicks, knees, punches, and flips, just seemed a beautiful dance devoid of effort. When he finished, Sharkali fell back into his light jumping until he repeated the process with his spiked chain whirling around him the next times.

As Sharkali reattached his chain is one smooth practiced motion he bounced. As soon as he was finished he shot off leaving behind the misty lake, and dozens of indentations in stone from where his feet and hands had repeatedly impacted the same exact location.

Sharkali raced across the land. He wasn't anywhere close to his full speed, but still managed to run with a group of horses that decided to join him as he circumvented the city. After a run around the city, he reentered and made his way through the city at a blinding speed. He had a personal challenge every morning to make it to the castle with as few people noticing him as possible. He would use speed, footwork, and misdirection to always be in the blind spots of the various people and guards. The most they would notice was a breeze or maybe flicker in the corner of their eye. When Sharkali made it to the roof the game was basically over. On the roof he could go even faster, plus there was the added benefit of people never looking up. A trip that would take fifteen minutes minimum, was done in one as Sharkali vaulted over the castle wall. He flipped backwards over the wall, like a high jumper, and landed soundlessly on the other side, even after the long fall. Sharkali then walked casually into the castle with completely clean and dry, clothing and hair.

As he entered the castle, he greeted the different guards and servants who called the place home. With the skill of a veteran, he navigated the castle and made his way to the queen's room. Sharkali knocked softly twice on the door to announce himself before he sat down next to the door to wait for his master. "I am here if you require me my master," Sharkali said at a normal volume through the door "Also, Miss Dani is watching you through the window if you did not notice."

So it was that Amistasya, queen of Alexandria, went about her morning ritual. Not dissimilar from the closest of her Queen's Guard, cleansing herself for the toils of the day ahead, and whatever trials and tribulations it may have in store. The water in her bath was frigid, left unused and entirely forgotten from the night before. Amistasya silently lamented, wishing for the meager conveniences of even the most mundane sorcery; the means to heat water or remove stains. She hated how serfs and maids fawned over her, only finally gaining the privacy to dress and bathe herself when she chased one of her handmaids out of her room with a candle stick. She had apologized to the poor girl some time later, of course.

Amistasya had spent too many years as a doll for the enjoyment of others. Dressed up in pearl-crusted finery, painted and brushed by the hands of another that made her skin crawl. The ice cold finger of memory ran down the column of Amistasya's supple spine, puckering her freckled skin with goose-flesh as a cascade of phantom pains danced along her back and thighs. When the icy ball of dread sat in her stomach, Amistasya set her jaw and furrowed her brow.

No, they are long dead, food for crows and worms. Their sway over me is done.

Slipping out her chemise, the queen lowered herself into the tub of icy water with nary a flinch. She scrubbed at her face and hair until the blue-black ink had been removed, her teeth set against the chilled chattering that wracked her to the marrow. If nothing else, she hadn't felt so awake in years. There was a kind of bitter catharsis that cleansed the body as much as it did the soul... or at the very least, numbed them to the point where their ailments could be forgotten. Lavender oil was run through her silken mane of copper hue, massaged into her scalp as the first light of day cresting over the castle ramparts blushed warmly upon her cheeks. Despite herself, she smiled, almost cat-like.

Time became somewhat mercurial as she lounged in the waters of her copper tub, taking sublime pleasure in her solitude when a soft rapping sounded at her chamber door, quickly adjoined by the equally soft voice of Sharkali. Ever dutiful, he was, and so easy on the eyes. His choice of vocabulary left some to be desired, however, but that was far down the list of nagging grievances.

"Miss Dani is watching you through the window if you did not notice."

Amistasya paused, mulling those words and Sharkali's tone for any sort of jest, discerning if he had, in fact, discovered humor. For the life of her, she couldn't tell, as she flushed from her shoulders to her ears.

"What?!" Amistasya hollered, darting her volcanic blue eyes to the yawning window as she thrust herself as deep under the waters as the tub would allow. "Damn it, Dani!" Amistasya threw a sodden sponge at the paned glass of the window with a wet, resounding *thud*. There was a part of the woman's confidence that Amistasya definitely envied, far too consciencious of her scars to feel comfortably viewed in the buff, let alone without foreknowledge or consent. Still, the savage's ignorance of civilized norms could be forgiven, yet again. She kept the garrisoned guards on their feet, and the deification was undeniably flattering. Thrusting herself up from the tub, Amistasya dashed awkwardly for the dressing screen, slipping on the lacquered wooden floor along the way.

"Thank you for the warning, Sharkali," Amistasya called across the room and through the door as she swaddled herself in a towel. Saints and Devils, she wouldn't be shaking the blush from her for a tenday. Sighing deeply, Amistasya rolled her eyes as she dried herself quickly and slipped into a clean chemise. It wasn't necessarily decent, being thin linen that wouldn't hide much of anything in direct sunlight, but it was better than nothing. Best to get dressed quickly, then.

"You both might as well come in so I don't wake half the castle with my caterwauling," said Amistasya, "but if I see either of you on my side of this screen, I'll drown you in my chamber pot."

Dani kept surveillance over the Queen as she went about her routine, humming softly as she did so. If allowed she probably would've continued this silent sentry until summoned, but then Sharkali had made note of her. The Queen seemed quite stunned by the revelation, and began to suffer the curse of modesty that so many seemed burdened with. Dani cooed a bit as she watched the Queen flail for cover, somewhat worried that her charge may be injured in her fervor.

But no, the Queen's vessel remained undamaged, and Dani's smile return as she invited them in. Dani wasted no time in entering via the window, nimble movements allowing her to enter with nary a trace "Terrorize the vessel not with insight, White-Locks.' Dani declared as she slowly crawled along the floor "Bad time, slow ascension!"

Dani wandered the room on all floors, conceding to the Queen's admittedly silly demands for privacy. How exactly were they supposed to protect her all the time if they could not see her all the time? Exploring the self-defeating nature of this reasoning was not the Heretic's strong suit. She would allow it in secure locations such as the castle, but was fully ready to cling to the Queen's like a living shield should she venture too close to danger. The goddess within could not be released early, or all would feel the consequences.

"But Dani accept call, no watchy now. Know safer, but speak not against vessel." she concluded before crouching don beside the screen and scratched at her head whilst waiting for the Queen to exit.

Whilst waiting her attention turned in Sharkali's direction, "Know Goddess Vessel cursed with...." Dani pause for a moment "Modi....Mod? Modest?"

Shaking her head, Dani craned her head towards the screen "Shame!" then looked back in his direction "Let curse rest, stress bad for goddess."

Just from hearing, Sharkali could easily picture the scene beyond the door. His master’s sudden realization, her quick plunge to hide herself, something thrown in defiance, and even her slipping as she ran to get herself covered. Sharkali found this master to be quite...adorable. He found it a pleasant juxtaposition to how she acted when she needed to rule.

“It is my duty my master,” Sharkali responded to her thanks before answering Dani “I’m sorry Miss Dani, I have been tasked with providing information to my master. I’m also sure that the information that terrorizes her the most is what she wishes to learn about.”

At his masters request, Sharkali made his way into her room. He gave a small bow to Dani after seeing her again and made his way to the fire place. Sharkali got a fire started while he waited, refilled the lamps, and cleaned as he waited for his master.

“I believe modesty is the word you are looking for,” Sharkali responded to Dani as he dusted and oiled surfaces to provide a nice lavender scent to the room. “But I agree, I hope she is able to free herself of the curse. She is strong though, I’m sure she will break her own chains in time.”

With the room tidy, Sharkali took a similar position as before back by the door. “My Master, if it is not any trouble to ask, how may I serve you today?

"Oh, yes. The vessel is certainly cursed with something..." Amistasya drawled sardonically, rolling her eyes in a meager leer behind the screen as she took a comb to her now-frazzled hair. Her two guards, outlanders in their own rights and respects, conversed briefly upon Amistasya's apparent shortcomings. This prickled the young monarch, putting a stubborn, if defiant set to her supple spine. She sniffed sharply as she stepped into her skirts,

"If either of you would prefer to be demoted to the station of chambermaid, I am sure I could arrange it. The two of you already speak as such," said Amistasya, the threat empty as it was idle. She had too much use and need for her Guard, painfully eccentric as they may be. Between them and the innumerable buttons down the breast of her dress, the queen found her patience beginning to fray. With the clasps painstakingly done, and Amistasya considering herself decent enough, she snatched up her embroidered burgundy dress coat and thrust it into Sharkali's hands as an answer to his inquiry. Turning her back to him, arms arrayed to be stuffed into tailored sleeves, the point was clear.

"Modesty is not a curse. A proper lady mustn't squander all her secrets, after all. I cannot rightly hold an audience in naught but my skin. Now, as for today's business, I am fairly certain the court will be at capacity. It is rarely anything but, these days. Should we find ourselves hosting a correspondence from the southern nations, I will require your council on custom, Sharkali... and your best behavior, dear Dani," said Amistasya with a cat-like smirk to the witch and wild woman. "I will, as always, have need for your keenest of senses... as well as your stranger talents."

[The Queen's Dress]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back