• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Pursuit of Elysium - OOC

Lore
Here
My hope/thought is that the setting is simply more along the lines of Apoc World where its just baseline to start from. I didn't read any lore outside the stuff we come up with tbh.

My hope/thought is that the setting is simply more along the lines of Apoc World where its just baseline to start from. I didn't read any lore outside the stuff we come up with tbh.

Some of the lore is pretty closely tied to certain mechanics and humans seem to come out of it the best.

I'm assuming that's the grief/greed mechanic? I see your point on the Orc's though. I glanced through it and it's pretty cut and dry what Orcs can and cannot be. Went humie instead.

I'm assuming that's the grief/greed mechanic? I see your point on the Orc's though. I glanced through it and it's pretty cut and dry what Orcs can and cannot be. Went humie instead.
Yep, and orcs get Hate. I haven't had a good deep read of how humans interact with Faith, yet, that seems more modular.

I decided to go with the first concept indeed, so here's a bit more depth to that concept.

Village born (years 0-10)
Anu'u was born under a night rainbow, which her tribe saw as an omen. Rainbows would have a strong connection between the real world and the spirit world and so would this newborn girl. And fair enough, she did not grow up like the other children. She was fairly reserved and just as content with talking to animals and stuff as she was playing with the other kids.

Augur (10-15)
The village elders recognized her potential and sent her to the shaman to hone her skills. They taught her how to read signs in the stars and events around her, how to cure people and how to use her ability to talk to the spirits to ask them for favors. During this time she also gained a better understanding of the dire circumstances her tribe was under. The elven oppressors required a tithe which was way too high to properly feed the tribe. They did everything to make ends meet and the elves would still smite them down when it wasn't enough.

Rogue Witch (15-21)
As a rebellious teen, Anu'u got so fed up with her oppressors that she started binding spirits to her will and had them thwart both the elves and the new threat of the United Trading Company. She expected the villagers to rejoice in their freedom, but it was quite the opposite. Forcing the spirits to do your bidding was strongly against their beliefs and seen as evil. They were fearful of the retribution that was yet to come, from both the oppressors and the spirits. And rightfully so, crops were starting to fail and the reefs were dying out. Anu'u was banished from their village. She was furious. She traveled to other tribes on the island to lend them her services, doing more egregious acts, which came with heavier costs as well. Over the years she gained quite the reputation for being a harbinger of misfortune. In the end she angered so many land spirits, that she could not stay on land anymore.

Weather Witch (21-26)
Using her skills in astrology and spirit binding she became a navigator on ships. She was a lot more careful with sea and sky spirits, not repeating the mistakes she made before. She gained the nickname Bad Luck Bonny, for her misfortune when she set foot on land. She continued to fight the elves and UTC with the aid of the weather spirits.

Blacktongue Gillian

"Ohh hunting far to sail back soon.."
"Thunder where we coursing?"
"Where women be and brave men few"
"Leave the children weeping?"

In the lawless ports and isles, it truly is as if the child population is tied to the ebb and flow of the sea. Almost seasonally, sailors enter port and conceive children. It is of this batch that future dregs, wenches, sea rats, cutthroats and with luck occasional good soul will be pushed out into the world with little in the way of parentage and even less in the way of opportunity. It was in this cycle that the wailing babe Gillian was birthed. Delivered by a midwife, the initial few years of her life were a blur of locations, faces, and peoples. Her very first memory being of sleeping on a plank floor and watching the insects skitter in the dark sand below.

So it went, the eldest rearing the youngest until the oldest vanished and the next one stepped up and when it was Gillian's turn, she stepped out. Stowing away on a vessel, Gillian made landfall in the notoriously crowded Longa Island. Filled to the brim with people, entrepreneurial guilds had even extended the city over parts of the bay. Built on poles sunk deep into the seabed, the island has navigated itself politically and maintained both sovereignty and truce for all. Unfortunately, this also has allowed in the rats.

Longa, despite the population, has very few people on the street after dark. Travel has all the normal perils but what really is dangerous is sleeping outside on the ground. Thousands of rats swarm the streets after dark, moving in devouring packs that have left the punctured corpses of many a drunk for people to find in the morning sun. This rat problem is seen as just that and as such has led to the proliferation of rat catching in an effort to stem the tide. While the fresh air of the sea suited her, it was this world that would hold Gillian. A world of darkness and fur, of body heat and gnashing teeth, poison and profit.

Starting young, too young, it was thought that Gillian would go the way of so many rat catching assistants. Lost inside a wall, suffocated and feeding those that she was to hunt. But against betting odds, the child survived long enough to become proficient and take the title of Ratter. No job was too much for the growing girl, now teen aged and with some acumen. With some notoriety gained from hauling in a reputed three hundred rats in a single night, life became simple for Gillian. Calls for a Ratter went out, Gillian would bid and for the next few nights there would be work and coin. Ratting turned the crank that kept Gillian alive and for years, she plied her trade. Not just on Longa but wherever vermin infested.

It was this life that really formed Gillian. A life where the light of the living could be snuffed out in an instant and in mass. Coin earned in flesh per pound. Savoy folk rare and few as she learned to cheat from being cheated. Excuses would flood if she did the job before payment and eventually she began keeping rats alive to threaten release to clients that didn’t pay. Rats were already her meal ticket but they became her defense, her companions and the only ones that understood. Great conversations were held between the rats and her, even while she ended their little lives. Conversation aside, she had to eat.

Opportunity would knock again one day. A client of hers would ask a question of her. If she could capture countless rats, could she perhaps take something larger? And so Gillian found herself below the floorboards of a noble manor. Child sleeping in his bed. She waited and as night fell, she simply creeped out and took him. Handing the infant off, she found that catching people paid considerably more....

Blacktongue Gillian. Mouth dyed black from the plants she gnawed on continuously to alleviate the pain and the dark language she spoke freely, was living pretty. Somehow having fallen into the midst of an affair and making more money than she ever had purely ratting was given another life choice to make.

What scale of infestation did she work on and how much would it cost to up it? A colonial mission was causing problems with trade and had to be ‘forcibly relocated’. Rats and their dens. Once again, Blacktongue was called upon and shortly after the Mission well went bad, crops died and the land seemed to become salted. It seemed that Rat poison had more purpose than what was originally intended.

It is here we find Blacktongue Gillian, Nefarious Ratter, Kidnapper and poisoner (nice pretty? WIP)

Son of a Gun
(Birth - 8)
Seafaring setting general lifepath. Birth lifepath. Born of the Sea and spent first 8 years of life in and around naval facilities/ships/ports.

Ratcatcher (8-14)
As they got older, through either appeal or natural ability, they became a rat catcher. Working ports and ships alike, catching and disposing of vermin became a way to earn coin and stay alive for a bit. Hard work that tempered the soul and exposed them to cruel environments, disease, and the degradation of both empathy and sympathy.

Kidnapper (14-17)
What differences are there, deep down, between men and rats? After years of plying their trade, the distinction would become blurred and jobs became a little more specialized. Snatching young and old, rich and poor, noble and villainous alike, the money would flow.

Poisoner (17-22)
Not all the jobs, rat and men alike, required the live capture and transport of beings. Sometimes someone would want things dead. A lot of things dead. Already experienced with the eradication of rats with poisons, traps, and more exotic methods. The jump to performing on people was just a matter of adjusting the dosage and adjusting the price.

Thinking of:

Son of a Gun 0-8
Officers Mate (this one is weird because it has to come second?) 8-12
First Mate 12-18
Captain 18-25

I'll iron out the other details 'ere long. Maybe tomorrow.

AssuredSpiritedBuffalo-size_restricted.gif

This is how I imagine Random Word Random Word and Grey Grey to be now.

I really liked what we had going here, but I believe WlfSamurai WlfSamurai has a lot going on in their life right now. Is there any way we can revive this somehow?

Yeah, seems like Wlf got overwhelmed by something. Hope he's alright.

Not sure how we can revive it - I suppose if someone else is willing to take the reins but I don't think that's any of us.

I like the idea of keeping this group together, though, especially if Wlf comes back. I've got a... different piracy and revolution RP ready to fire if'n foks would be in. Uses my own system but it's easy enough to pick up.

I like the idea of keeping this group together, though, especially if Wlf comes back. I've got a... different piracy and revolution RP ready to fire if'n foks would be in. Uses my own system but it's easy enough to pick up.
Yeah, burning wheel might be quite hard. I would be up for a different system for a pirate game.

Oops, I goofed, I thought this was a recent post, I think it would be great to repost and get one or two more members. Though maybe it is better if you personally ask people you know have some quality. I used to be in a really nice One Piece campaign with AllHailDago for instance and know he's a pretty good writer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back