Advice/Help Punctuation/better word placement!

Hiraeth1000

I loveeee to write, which is one of the reasons why I roleplay. But I have a problem, I have a bit of difficulty when it comes to punctuation, or when it comes to using different synonyms, or different words so it doesn’t look like I’m writing the same thing. I can write out a scene, I can go into detail, but my punctuation may be messed up at times, and I feel like I repeat some words when there may be better options to use. ;3; any advice to help me out of this hole would be deeply appreciated!

Well, first this isn't a science, it's an art. There a degree of artistic license, and its often important to try to follow what sounds better. You may make mistakes, but that much is inevitable.

Second, reading. Reading is very important to improving your writing, taking in different writing styles and being inspired by the craft of others.

Third, if you want to expand your vocabulary, research. If you want to know whether you're using punctuation right, research. The information is out there, up for grabs.

Go on youtube or google up some punctuation learning guides and refresh your knowledge / learn the correct ways to use punctuation. Got nothing else I'm shyte with my punctuation and I damn well know it!!!!!! COMA ABUSE QUEEN OVER HERE, WHAT THE FUCK IS A SEMICOLON?!?!?!??!?! HHHHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHE!!!

In my opinion a paragraph reads as repetitive when someone is repeating the same idea but trying to write it using different "words". Diverse vocabulary is great but you don't always need to crack out that thesaurus. A few diverse vocabulary words is perfectly fine, everyone enjoys some spark, but first double check you aren't repeating ideas. Sometimes it isn't the vocabulary rather the idea being expressed.

Otherwise I would say reading helps my vocabulary!

....Grammarly.

The free version doesn’t provide help with word repetition, but it does certainly help with punctuation. I use it when I write posts on my PC, and it’s helped me catch a lot of comma errors.

I second Grammarly. Don't use it myself but I know a lot of people who do and say it's a lifesaver.

I'm also going to add: Read more books. The more you read, the larger your vocabulary will become, and you will probably also expose yourself to a lot of different writing styles which will help with your own. The reason I say "books" as opposed to RPs or fanfics is because it's best to learn from the professionals or else you can absorb and repeat mistakes and get into bad habits. I love fanfic, seriously, but it's not good for improving your writing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back