Prudence Odesario

impressiveempress

This is a character that predominantly fits in the Star Wars category as she is an alien born on a planet in a galaxy far, far, far away... I'd love to hear feedback and strong criticisms so hit me with them. And if you're interested in RPing with this character please do feel free to hit me up // discord: impressiveempress#1055

Prudence is a Sheiling Pon who was born on planet #00001, a planet shaded in pinks, purples, reds and oranges, into a family of honest, hard-working but dirt poor individuals. They belonged to the second lowest wealth class on their planet and her parents put all their efforts into supporting a career for Prudence in entertainment as a singer and performer. Prudence possessed a beautiful, operatic singing voice and had the capacity to become a star and rise through the class system, carrying her family on her back.

Prudence didn’t want this life for herself: she believed the material world and the superficial lenses of a career in entertainment would take their toll on her. She feared she was too weak, she knew she wanted a peaceful life, and she knew she’d have to make a sacrifice in order to sustain that life. She was only fifteen when her parents began arranging for talent agents to meet with her and judge her as a potential client. On the day of her first meeting, however, the talent agent and her parents were equally shocked to discover she had taken a vow of silence.

The meetings went out the window, along with her young reputation, and any chance of a professional singing career. Her parents were irate and tried everything to get Prudence to speak again, they spent weeks enticing her, coercing her and still she wouldn’t budge. She signed a few words and phrases to her parents a few of times, but they didn’t bother to interpret what she was communicating. Weeks turned to months and eventually, Prudence’s parents gave up on their child completely, and sent her away.

In a few days time, her parents made the decision to send Prudence away, decided on a discrete location, and made arrangements for her passage to planet #00002, a lush, green planet with rushing rivers, waterfalls, and jungle-covered mountain ranges. This planet is considered by the Intergalactic Atlas to be a remote planet because its population is less than 1,000. In fact, planet #00002 is home to precisely two peoples: the first is an order, the Order of the Barren, of less than 15 nuns and the wayward girls they house under special circumstances only, the second is a race of people who exist in seven tribes all living in their own factions clustered together. These people are no more than 300 and are not recognized as a civilized population by the Intergalactic Atlas.

Prudence became a ward to these nuns, of which she only met 13, who educated her and trained her physically and psychologically to become a well-rounded individual. This was their first objective. Their second objective, incited by the Intergalactic Atlas under the advise of one Lieutenant Rula, Mai, was to train these wards for possible invitation to the Official Militia of the Intergalactic Atlas. Prudence, of course, did not seek a future within the confines of a military life and actually possessed a daring, chaotic streak in her character. Although being selectively mute made it significantly easier for her to avoid implication after committing some acts of mischief and misconduct, she was also quite crafty and rather sneaky when she needed to be.

While living with the Order of the Barren she lead the way on many daring excursions, without express permission from any nuns, for herself and her two companions: Pallas and Sloan. Pallas swore she was the heir to a throne on another planet, Sloan and Prudence didn’t buy it. Sloan was originally part of one of the seven tribes, but she was excommunicated because her people thought she was psychic. And only demons can be psychic. For the most part, that was true, she was part of a tribe and excommunicated for being a demon, or at least possessed by a demon. But nobody believed that Sloan was psychic. She swore it up and down, too.

Pallas and Sloan learned to interpret, spending all their time with Prudence, and she rarely spared them by scribbling a few words or phrases down into her journal before showing them. She carried her journal, which she had to replace often, everywhere and was constantly writing page after page but she never showed anyone what she was writing. One day, Sloan, the bolder of the three, snatched the journal away from Prudence and read a few sentences allowed. She was apparently writing love letters, to some sort of wanted criminal, who claimed to be hiding out on some nearby planet. And he was a Sheiling Pon, too.

Pallas and Sloan didn’t know what to make of their discovery: was their friend crazy? Writing fake letters to a made up boyfriend? Or was their really a dangerous criminal professing his equally powerful love for her on the other side of the galaxy? Prudence didn’t attest to any of it, but she didn’t deny its truth either. She kept on writing her love letters. As 6 years passed, Pallas remained an adolescent physically her longevity considered a positive genetic trait by her species, but her wisdoms only increased in number as she was a dedicated follower of the Order of the Barren, believing their military teachings would aid her as an Empress in the future. Sloan grew into her adulthood, became more and more involved in her studies, and was offered a scholarship studying a newly discovered blackhole in a space station orbiting a nearby star.

Prudence never spoke, and when she turned 22, she reached young adulthood and was granted a blessing by her nuns that allowed her to leave if she wished. Seeing her friends off may have influenced her decision, but she did indeed leave, after receiving a final love letter from her long-distance intergalactic fugitive boyfriend. The love letter contained cryptic instructions, and coordinates.

Last edited:
While this is quite a well rounded character overall, there are a few specific things I'd ask about. For one, there doesn't seem to be much motivation behind her main driving trait, her vow of silence. At 15 years old, what would drive someone to have such a major revelation regarding the nature of their life, and more importantly, how on earth would they find the motivation to stick to such a difficult reform. Selective Mutism seems like it's incredibly important for Prudence, but there's little foundation or weight behind it to begin with.

You also cite the names of many organisations and communities as if others should know what they are. My knowledge of the star wars universe is limited, but from what I can tell, these are self made, non-canon groups, so they mean little to anyone else without context or a further explanation. Explanations for groups like this don't need to be long or incredibly complicated, but it's no good assuming others will know what you mean when you talk about your own, non-canon material.

While this is quite a well rounded character overall, there are a few specific things I'd ask about. For one, there doesn't seem to be much motivation behind her main driving trait, her vow of silence. At 15 years old, what would drive someone to have such a major revelation regarding the nature of their life, and more importantly, how on earth would they find the motivation to stick to such a difficult reform. Selective Mutism seems like it's incredibly important for Prudence, but there's little foundation or weight behind it to begin with.

You also cite the names of many organisations and communities as if others should know what they are. My knowledge of the star wars universe is limited, but from what I can tell, these are self made, non-canon groups, so they mean little to anyone else without context or a further explanation. Explanations for groups like this don't need to be long or incredibly complicated, but it's no good assuming others will know what you mean when you talk about your own, non-canon material.
Thank you. This first point is one I will digest and ponder.
This second point is also important, but I'm less worried because the more I develop this story, the clearer these other self-made, non-canon places and organizations will become.
Again, thanks so much for your feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back