• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Prologue - "Double or Nothing" for Ylva Sveadotter and Richard "Ricky" Rolland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricky was left reeling from the painful kick, but at least the VIP was giving a perfect opportunity to deliver a horrifying blow.

Wait... no... that didn't do anything. He knew... it wasnt just. "You're robots!" He exclaimed as he staggered his way in between the VIP and the angry latina. He knew it! Coincidentally that always made him right about ogre woman.

"Hey hey hey!" While between the VIP and ribo gal, Ricky through up his hands, in a peaceful gesture as well as a 'prepare to parry' one. Ricky didnt want to risk the VIP getting death punched by one of those machines.

"First! Chica, a gentleman needs to like you for you. Remember, its what's on the inside that counts." He said smoothly.

"Second. Can't we just call this a draw? We didn't come here to start no trouble. I just came for this overly curious blonde who didn't have the sense to stay in her ejection seat and wait for help." He explained.

"I don't want to see that pretty face ruined any more than you do. So why don't we just chill, eh? You can say you beat us the hell up, and me and the girl get out of here. Wherever here is. Gives you time to patch yourself up, and me time to nurse my broken ribs and pride, and Vippy to get a haircut. Win-win, right?" He said, trying to lay on some charm to appeal to them. They were robots..but they certainly didnt act like machines. Maybe it would work?

D. Rex D. Rex Silanon Silanon

Leona glared at Ylva like she wanted to reach in and rip the Swede's heart straight out of her bosom. Liana, on the other hand, couldn't get the grin off of her face. The brutish woman chuckled.

"What's that now? You wanna be frieeeeends? Now that you know our little secret, you wanna take Blondie here and go back to yo' wrecked-up, trashed-out, poor-excuse-for-a-fighter-plane Valkyrie out there?" Liana rubbed her chin and mused. "Yeah! Maybe you're right. We could use some patching up, wouldn't you say, Leona?"

With her fists clenched into death-grips, Leona shouted something at Liana in Spanish that sounded like something between a shocked curse and a string of profanities.

"Yeah," Liana nodded as she and Leona stepped aside. "My girl here is all wound up and needs some time to relax. You two really hit hard, you know that? We'll just tell our boss what's up and let you get outta here on yo merry way. Go on, now!"

Liana gestured toward the ramp as she and Liana stepped back, always keeping the smooth-talking Ricky and the quite-competent Ylva in their view. They did not block the doorway to the ramp leading upward. Leona continued to stare daggers at Ylva while Liana seemed as smiley-faced and as courteous as a rough-and-tumble boxer could be.

We now move out of Encounter mode and into Exploration mode (if you like the Pathfinder terms).

Ricky pursed his lips, "Hey now, no need to insult my love like that. She is a sexy and brave machine."

"And ya know, I didn't exactly want to be enemies in the first place. You kind of pushed me into it. But yeah... frieeends. And at least believe me when I say that android chicks are just blip on the weird things I've seen today. Trust me, your secret is well below the radar, which I'm sure is just a fever dream from altitude sickness."

As Ricky spoke, he would attempt to usher Ylva towards the ramp, being pushy if necessary. Heck, if this was an out, then he was going to take full advantage of it. Getting the VIP to safety was top priority. Which meant getting her out of here.

Needless to say he was suspicious. After all, they did mention the Jezebel. Meaning they must have watched him land and try to find the girl. So if they had any modicum of understanding contect they would have known he was here on accident and decided to attack him anyway... he honestly wasnt expecting talking to have worked. They likely had something up their sleeve.

Another sudden turn of events - befitting the entire day thus far. The Swede lingers in place for just a moment, short seconds for her mind to catch up with the new circumstances. That poor excuse of a wound she caused - Ylva's eyes rest on it for parts of that time, the odd fascination of a scientist showing through. Machines, built to attack her on sight; yet also unlike anything she's seen, thus far. Not that it makes much of a difference, likely - if things go well, she'll never face these again. The glimpse at what's possible will remain in her mind, though.

"Could've had that right from the getgo." The words break her own lethargy, two steps backwards get her closer to the escape route. Without ever losing sight of the pair of fighters, she allows her eloquent companion to usher her towards whatever safety is truly to be found. Uneven steps, at first, putting more weight onto the right leg. If the situation still permits it, she'll grab the things she dropped when she entered. If it doesn't - well, crap. But what's one more reason to improvise, today?

"Ronin" by Forerunners. Good fighting music; the same that we started this prologue with!

If you both scroll back to the very beginning of this thread, on 11 April 2020, you may remember that I began it all with the following line:
The odds may have appeared even, but they were anything but.

Just putting that out there. Enjoy the prologue, you two! =)

As Ricky spoke, scarred Leona continued to scowl evilly while Liana's broad grin never left her face. Step by step, Ricky and Ylva made their way to the corridor containing the ramp. They were almost there when, silently, a long sharp length of elegantly-crafted steel came into view from the ramp's doorway.

It was aimed at the two of you.

French Rapier from Nexus mods.jpeg
(Image credit: Nexus mods)

At one end of the sword was a dangerous razor-sharp tip forged to perfection. On the other was a slim gloved hand belonging to an elegant brunette woman with French facial features wearing an outfit that seemed to be part casual summer dress, part lingerie, complete with a well-designed scabbard on her hip. She seemed to be in the same age group of Liana and Leona. She held herself with dignity and a pleasing smile that appeared as cute as it was womanly. Looking at her was like seeing a person made from an artist's dream; she seemed too perfect to be real. But then again, reality was never far away with the two-plus feet of double-edged shining steel in her hand. She casually turned the corner in a fencing stance.

The ante had just been upped.

"Ohhhh, mes amis, leaving so soon?" Her pretty lips pouted. "No no nooo! After all ze trouble you have caused, I must insist zat you stay as I ponder ze details of your... ah... captivity and ransom back to ze Army of Southern Cross! They are missing you terribly, no? Besides! The Valkyrie outside makes such a fitting addition to our scrapyard!" She eyed Ricky, her perfect green eyes mocking him. More importantly, the rapier in her hand flashed through the air as she gave a few whooshing swipes with it. As that edge of steel made a wall of danger all its own, Ricky and Ylva found themselves in a new combat position.

Heya Gang! The fourth and final Combat Range belongs to melee weapons! Any weapons, improvised or otherwise, that provide some kind of reach advantage, especially in trained hands, creates a "wall of danger" if you will. In order to attack that person, you must first get past their weapon (possibly rendering it useless). This Combat Range comes into effect only if the following four guidelines are true:

1. One opponent has a melee weapon that can reasonably inflict S.D.C. damage. If the item in-hand can't cause damage, then it is not a threat and can be ignored (imagine someone attacking you with a long empty cardboard box).

2. The weapon must be at least 1 1/2 feet (roughly 0.5 meters) in length. So yes to pool cues, broom handles, golf clubs, bullwhips, whirling lengths of iron or steel chain (not plastic). No to knives (not enough reach), hula hoops, blown-up balloons, and pool noodles (all reach; no damage).

3. The opponent must declare they are attempting to use the weapon's reach to advantage and they must be in a setting and situation where this is possible. Put another way, yes to fighting down a moving escalator/people mover, no to trying to swing a hockey stick while fighting underwater (especially with all of the lights turned off).

Note: The armed opponent does not require proficiency with the weapon they are using (anyone can pick up a small chair and try to fend off an attacker), but as always, without the proper W.P., they take a -4 to Strike rolls and cannot make Called Shots. All of these guidelines are open to GM discretion.

This information has been added to Shop Talk. =)

Liana's cackling echoed off of the locker room walls as she patted the side of her head in mock-forgetfulness. "Oh yeaaaah! Leona and I agreed that you could go, but Julie here? We forgot to ask her opinion, didn't we? How rude of us! Ha haaa! Guess we'll have to join her!" Liana's arms rose to her boxing guard as Leona returned to her Tae Kwon Do stance, her eyes filled with a desire for vengeance.

Ylva and Ricky now had enemies on all three sides, one of them as fresh for combat as could be.

Then a man's voice, deep and powerful, came from the ramp where Julie had emerged just moments before. "Good day! Is this a private neural network or can any lad log in?"

"What the--" Liana exclaimed. "How did you get past the cameras?" The robots turned toward the sound except for Julie - she whirled about sword-first in an attempt to bury her rapier at least a foot deep into whomever had snuck in behind her.

KTANG!!

The sound of metal upon metal was heard. A large Caucasian hand emerged from the shadows and clasped itself about the slender wrist on Julie's sword-arm. Those aged fingers had not been on her arm for more than a second when suddenly Julie let out a sudden and violent scream that only a mechanical being could give voice to. She shuddered and convulsed, her sword-arm fully controlled by that one large hand. Julie's scream reached a piercing crescendo impossible to achieve by a human being as Liana and Leona started to rush the ramp.

But just as soon as the action began, the tension in the air softened, almost dissipated. All three robots simultaneously came to a slow. They relaxed and stood at attention. "Julie. Your sword and scabbard, s'il vous plaît." Instantly, Julie expertly sheathed her beautiful rapier and with one hand, she undid the sheath and with a nod, presented it to the figure in the shadows. "Merci, mademoiselle." He took it without letting go his hand upon her person.

"Ladies," he commanded. "Do apologize."

Immediately, all three androids took on stances true to the heritages they displayed, all with heads bowed. Together, they said in what sounded like a chant. "We apologize for our uncivil actions. Please forgive us." They remained there, unmoving.

There was a long sigh and from the ramp emerged a silver-haired man, great in size and girth and presence. His long beard was well-trimmed and he possessed the eyes and manner of an academic gentleman. His blue suit could only fit a man of his size but to anyone with an eye for fashion, it was clearly a custom-made affair that allowed maximum mobility coupled with an air of quiet authority. With an accent that seemed to be a combination of American and the Queen's English, the old fellow introduced himself like one who had already had a long day.

"Good day. Professor Albert Stein, head of Project Eternity with the United Earth Government." Unwilling to release Julie's forearm, he gave each of you as pleasant a nod as he could offer. "My apologies for taking so long. You could say I'm a bit cheesed off about not being 20 years younger nor never having taken flying lessons or I would have caught up with you sooner. Oh and," he offered to you a metal golf club with a noticeable nick in its side, "my gratitude to whomever left this upstairs. Came in quite handy, just now. Care to have it back?"

This, but about 6 feet, 4 inches and rounder than an American football linebacker (but don't tell him I said that. =) ).
steven-hermans-oldsoldier.jpg www.artstation.com.jpg
Steven Hermans "Old Soldier" at www.artstation.com

The addition of another, sadly, was no surprise. Of course they wouldnt let them go that easily. But as the shwing of metal caught his eye, he already had some method now of what to do. Immediately taking a stance and planning to disarm her. Would a sword do much against a robot? Probably not. But it was better than nothing.

"Three against two? So now you all are wanting to fight fair. I did give yall an out." He blustered. It didnt seem like there was any way else he could go but through them.

At least... until the man joined. What the man did... he didn't know. But the results at least spoke for themself. Though that didnt make Ricky an less wary of the situation.

Ricky stared at the man, almost in disbelief. Almost. The least believable part being that a head of some agency would come to the rescue and not a strike force or armored team. "Late or not, you got here just as we needed you, sir. Whatever you did."

"But let's just get out of here before more come. After what blows we been landing... I dont think a gold club would fair much better." Then again it was better than nothing. "My sidearm is up top though. I dont suppose you grabbed that too?" He asked hopefully.

"I'm Lieutenant Rolland, Blue Hare Squadron. I'm sure you already know about the rescue mission. If you can get me and her back to my Valkyrie as soon as possible, that would be absolutely most helpful." He would say with the urgency of a man on a mission. Because... he was a man on a mission.

Things were about to make some sense... apart from the too-humanlike-robots-defend-their-hidden-scrapyard-base-thing, they'd at least not ended an unlosable fight without a better idea in mind. All but a fair fight, no matter her ally's words - but at least predictable, for once. A confirmation for her suspicions, a reassurance that she was right to trust her instincts at all, and be wary.

And then the man happened. Turning the tides within a heartbeat. Too quickly. Too easily. And thus more menacing than the three robots combined. Perhaps it's just that the ladies seem too close to living, breathing creatures, worrying about their appearance, and vengeance - while they shouldn't exist, a man who can simply turn them into obedient puppets should even less so. Their apologies; perhaps the easiest way for the man to show that he's in control. But also a way to show off, and to emphasise that all those principles she learnt about took a day off this morning. Well, not all of them, gravity still holds. But it might as well be the ether pulling her down towards the ground.

Her eyes rest on his hand as the trio of foes asks for forgiveness; her gaze remains locked there as more words are exchanged, as if it'd be the personification of all that's gone wrong today, thus far. Not fair, he just came in to save their asses. She still wouldn't shake hands for it. Her facial expression says as much - gives away the irritation and confusion of a trip down to Florida gone all wrong. Over soon, with any luck. At least that's what this Rolland has in mind, too. Good to add a name to the face. Mankind's first medicine when chaos unfolds: Names, ranks and titles. Let everyone know that there's a place you came from, and a role you'd fulfill if all of this didn't happen.

The Swede joins in. "Sveadotter." Title or rank? One's a professor, the other's good old military. Where the brain can't decide, it simply skips the step. "Stationed in Eglin." Always good to mention a place you've never been to. "They mentioned an Anaconda, might be hanging around. And there's some brute stomping through the forest, too - and other things. Wouldn't mind a lift. And thank you, both." Better late than never - both the arrival, and her recognition. Focus on the essentials, not the myriads of questions. Curiosity killed the cat, after all. Oh well. "What is this place, anyway? Just meant to grab a hiking stick, and then this green door opened." Absently, she reaches out for the golf club herself, not because it'll serve a purpose... just... heck, he offered it, right? Might as well take it for now.

This scene brought to you by Icehouse's "No Promises" (see insert)

(Partial lyrics)
Heaven sends you
No promises
Of arabian nights
No white waves on an ocean
No gems from a golden age

Life in your new world…

Ricky stared at the man, almost in disbelief. Almost. The least believable part being that a head of some agency would come to the rescue and not a strike force or armored team. "Late or not, you got here just as we needed you, sir. Whatever you did."

He stared at Ricky and Ylva both with the kind of look that told of his having seen many strange things... and many an odd circumstances. "Come now," the large fellow spoke with grim seriousness combined with something that felt like compassion. "Have not the two of you ever experienced the unexplainable? Had sensations that you alone seemed to have? Wonders you found difficult to share with others lest they think you.... completely off of your rocker?" He glanced down to Julie's wrist and gave a grin that was as friendly as it was sudden.

"What's one more?"

Then again it was better than nothing. "My sidearm is up top though. I dont suppose you grabbed that too?" He asked hopefully.

"I left it where it lay. It is useless in here."

"I'm Lieutenant Rolland, Blue Hare Squadron. I'm sure you already know about the rescue mission. If you can get me and her back to my Valkyrie as soon as possible, that would be absolutely most helpful." He would say with the urgency of a man on a mission. Because... he was a man on a mission.

Professor Stein straightened as men of dignity do when it is called forth. "Lieutenant, I haven't the foggiest notion of what your mission is." He could not help but end the sentence with a chuckle that sounded mildly apologetic. "However, a perceptive man can put a few things together with the facts as they have been presented."

Her eyes rest on his hand as the trio of foes asks for forgiveness; her gaze remains locked there as more words are exchanged, as if it'd be the personification of all that's gone wrong today, thus far.

"Yes, my dear," said he with narrowed eyes and a nod of acknowledgment. "If I release my hold on Julie here, for any reason, the three of them shall..." he paused to find the right word, "...immediately revert to form if you understand my meaning."

"They mentioned an Anaconda, might be hanging around. And there's some brute stomping through the forest, too - and other things. Wouldn't mind a lift. And thank you, both." Better late than never - both the arrival, and her recognition. Focus on the essentials, not the myriads of questions. Curiosity killed the cat, after all. Oh well. "What is this place, anyway? Just meant to grab a hiking stick, and then this green door opened."

The professor's eyes widened a touch at the mention of Anaconda. He appeared to make a decision and go with it. "Lt. Rolland, Miss Sveadotter, you are Traversers. I am too. That is something very special. That special something allows me to do this." He slowly raised and waved his free hand. Liana, Leona, and Julie smiled and simultaneously raised and waved their hands as if it were rehearsed. When he dropped his hand, theirs fell too. When you looked back to Professor Stein's face, you saw his eyes were closed as if he were in a trance. Then he seemed to wake from it - with it came additional purpose.

"I need to pay Anaconda's little safehouse there a little visit before I depart here. You each have a very important decision to make - you may leave and consider this rescue on the house and forget we met, or you can come with me. Doing so will alter your lives permanently." He took Julie and removed them from blocking your path to the ramp exit and freedom.

"I want you to join me, or rather, us," he nodded in a fatherly fashion, "but not as people who owe me a debt, but instead of your own free will. But if you follow me, your lives will never be the same. If you choose instead to go, well, wait outside and I will fly you somewhere safe - but whatever you do, do not get back inside that Valkyrie of yours!" Professor Stein eyed Ricky. "Someone replaced the parachutes in your chairs with Mega-damage explosives. If you had to punch out, you would be instantly killed. I do not know if they can be detonated remotely or if there are timers involved." He let that sink in. "Go and see for yourselves if you must. Do forgive me, but time is of the essence and I must enter Anaconda's den now. You are welcome to ask questions while our feet are moving. Shall we, Julie?"

Without releasing her, he offered Julie his arm in a gentlemanly fashion.

"Oui, monsieur! It would be my pleasure!"

Gingerly, Julie took it. Professor Stein used the sheathed rapier as a walking cane. Together they strolled gracefully and chatted in French toward the door opposite the exit with Liana and Leona in tow leaving the two of you in the locker room.

steven-hermans-oldsoldier.jpg www.artstation.com.jpg
(Image credit: Steven Hermans)
STATUS Location: A compound hidden in an old Mexican junkyard.
Mood Music (click to play): "No Promises" by Icehouse

There was a smell of bullshit wafting in from somewhere, but Ricky couldnt exactly tell its origin. That fact, however, was undercut by the tell that there was a bomb in his seat. What the hell!?

When Stein left, Ricky just stood there scratching his head. This was quite a bit to process. Alright... let's see... wierd things were happening. Apparently he wasn't hallucinating. Okay. Hard to believe, but okay.

Stein offered the red and blue pill. Which was a disturbing bit of news. Conflicting, even. Why SHOULD he go along with it? This very well could endanger his mission even more than it's already been endangered.

The man himself. Claimed he didnt know about the mission. But he was here anyway? That must be where the bullshit smell was coming from. How would he know all this and not know that?

The bomb. Who the hell put a bomb in his craft! What about his squad? If the bomb was to set off when ejected... all it would take is one or two pilots to eject before we figured out what was up. And given the nature of the mission... ejection was very likely. Hmm.

As Ricky thought, he moved his hands back and forth, as if trying to compartmentalize the new information and sort it out.

"I dont like this. I dont like this at all." He told the VIP. "I need to check in the Valkyrie. To see if it's true. I know there is a traitor in the force. Like the guy that took you literally out of my lap. If there really is a bomb there... then it is safe to assume there is more than one traitor."

And hell... if the man was right and he wasnt crazy... if it was Jezebel that talked to him... maybe he could get her to talk again? Right? It was crazy he was even considering it.

There is no immediate response; instead, the Swede simply leans back against the metal lockers, some stability in a world that got out of hand. Traverser? What the heck does that even mean? On a day like this one, it might almost make sense. Almost. Whatever-it-is ends when direct contact is lost. That's some kind of principle at least, right? There might be more. There might be none, it ignores several basic rules already. Like, hacking via touch? How does that make any sense? One's flesh, one's machine. You can't even... but it works, somehow, right? Or they wouldn't stand here, alone, safe.

Ylva swirls around the nicked golf club in thought, then finally has words to spare. "Dunno. Maybe. Whatever happened, I missed the crucial parts of it." In a sudden burst of decisiveness, she pushes herself off the lockers, making a first step towards the ramp. "Might as well take a look now, right? Let him do his thing." The head nods at the door where the professor vanished. "That mission of yours - care to say more? I mean, you got here to get me out of this, I'd assume, but I don't even know how I got here to begin with. Was in Florida, ran into Malcontents, I guess; then I wake up in a Logan, and suddenly the entire world goes bonkers around me. Or I'm losing my mind, guess that's more likely."

Hopefully not, though. She very much likes her sanity. Sure, she's chased after her own fair share of marvels, but it's no fun when even the mundane things become miracles, at some point. You gotta have the resemblance of a reliable world around you, and flying dogs don't belong in that category. Neither does she, apparently. Traverser. The cycle of thoughts begins anew. There's no beginning of it, no end. Only too many questions, and a decision to be made that heavily relies on too many answers. Gotta start somewhere, and that somewhere is upstairs, outside. Valkyries, traitors and explosives; those exist, at least.

Last edited:
"You aren't losing your mind." Ricky replied. "The whole world turned upside down." He said as he made his way to the ramp where he had been thrown down from. The portal door thing wasn't that far.

Ricky did seem to hesitate at bringing up the mission, but it wasnt because it was secret. "You were in Florida. With malcontents. That was all I knew at the start. That it was going to be a suicide mission. Hence why they chose my squadron. Its what we did. And they wanted you back really badly."

"It was a simple extraction mission. Get you out before the zeeks did whatever zeeks do. But you were close enough to a malcontent outpost that things went wrong fast..." He paused. Part of him wanted to go into detail, to let her know what happened. But he figured she didnt need the deaths to linger in her mind right now.

"But I was able to get you out. I crashed aboard the dropship Milo, to take us to space, and passed out. Next think I know I am women up by a boot to the face and some fucking brit taking you out of my lap and stealing you away in a Logan."

"I fell out of the Milo and tried to pursue. But I dont know what is going, as there are now some really ugly things out there shooting even uglier dog missiles. i was able to evade, but the Milo wasnt so lucky."

"You must have popped the eject while i was trying to not die. I followed the emergency beacon. Lucky stars it was you. I don't know what happened to fatty. But as I was about to land I saw your dumb ass climbing into a broken down van instead of sitting tight."

"I dont know if it's your job, something you know or can do... but they really want you rescued. Apparently traitors want you alive for themselves, too. "

"On top of all that, there is now karate robot chicks, portals, traveler nonsense, and strange old men with magic powers. I'm trying not to think to hard about that bit. What I do know is the sooner I get us to my Valkyrie the better. I trust her a lot more than anything else right now. And if there is a bomb... I need to find that out too."

Last edited:
A nod to agree with those last words; she gets that certain urge to get back to normal, somehow, even though that seems fairly unlikely at this point. There's a lot of curious theories out there, but few allow observed things to dissolve into nothingness. Maybe it's possible to just move on, and forget; but some minds aren't made for obliviousness. Questions would remain - unanswered questions. The bane of every curious mind. Some will have to be asked before hers can rest. Though the man at her side can not possibly have the answers, the response thus far is at least a start.

Speaking of starts - her lips move to form words. Best to get the logical part out of the way, in any case. "Saw no point in waiting. Couldn't have known that someone's coming, other than whatever those things up there were. Figured I'd try my luck downstairs, rather than walk all the way." One arm reaches out, pointing where north might or might not be. A glance downwards at her foot - the pain's gone, but the memory of kicking solid steel still lingers. "Guess it worked out well enough, in the end."

"But it still makes no sense. There's no reason why it'd happen now, or around me, right?" Not as far as she understands, at least. There was Florida, of course, but that's just questions in itself. They sent in one of their best squads for her, though - Blue Hares, was it? Curious name... called it a suicide mission as well. "At least I don't see it yet, myself. Maybe I just can't see it, could be. Saw some things, but they don't add up yet." Repetitive, those words. Trying to make it sound like this whole rescue mission wasn't pointless.

Not that she's convinced herself. Apart from the 'being-alive'-part, that is. "Thanks for getting me out of there." Where he didn't continue, she doesn't pry. Did, he said. Noticed some of the fighting, herself, while in the air. He might not know, or might not want to tell. Maybe later, in a better moment if there's ever one. There's enough to think about to avoid that mine field, for now.

"There's been some advanced stuff, here and up there. The robots, for once." No need to mention that lone Zentraedi in Florida yet. If this mess means anything, then that he might not want to know. "This place, too. Magic's a dumb word. The Aztecs thought that their Gods had arrived, just because they'd never seen steel, or guns, and they probably called it magic - just didn't understand. Feels a bit like that. Those robots were on another level. And those monster dogs... you saw them, right? You can't just breed those, I know that much. They shouldn't exist, ever. And yet they somehow do, and showed up today. Like, where do those come from, all of the sudden? Why do they show up now? I just don't get it." That lone Zentraedi up in Florida, those wounds she saw. Advanced, but acceptable. Not like hacking via touch.

A short pause in her rambling, momentarily. "Maybe you're just right, and there's no point in wondering. But still..." Another moment of quietness, furrowing her brows; much was said, and yet so much is unclear. "Got another question, a bit of a weird one. About what he said." A thumb points down the ramp. "About the unexplainable things he mentioned. Might want to reconsider that 'losing my mind'-thing, but before that Logan I was in fell apart, it felt like it was... speaking, of sorts. Like, in my mind, but I couldn't have known for myself in that short time, I'm not that good of a pilot, so it wasn't just imagination, I think... maybe it was, I don't know. But it might be like what he did, just different. Or the same, who knows. Ah, forget it." Her steps quicken, maybe to get out of here, into the sunlight, but most likely to just be half a step ahead. Good way to not show your face, in general; it'd just reveal embarrassment, irritation and confusion, anyway.

The locker room was empty of people, artificial or otherwise, in but moments.

Ricky and Ylva went one way (up the ramp) while the odd professor, arm-in-arm with a sexy creature that definitely could pass for human, casually strolled deeper into the complex as if he were enjoying a morning walk along some sunny beach. Maybe a Mexican beach. His positively-commanding voice echoed up the ramp after you.

"I should not be long, but fair warning to you, my fellow Traversers! The cat is with me! If you try and take the mental little bugger with you, you will find out why we call him... Trouble!" Then you heard him whistling some Beatles tune to Julia as they made their way onward together with Liana and Leona.

In moments, you were at the top of the ramp where Ylva had left her belongings, newfound and otherwise.

The gear you left up here is all present and accounted for. If you decide to take it, return/add it to your Character sheet's inventory at your leisure. Remember, except for some ordinary personal items (ID, wallet, keys, and the like) in my games if you don't have it on your character sheet, you are likely not to have it at all. =)

Leaving through the barrier of soft green light, Richard and Ylva saw a pair of Valkyrie Veritech Fighters. And it was a scene right out of some terrible "before" and "after" meme. The Valkyrie to the left was a bright and shining Super Valkyrie with all the trimmings. Missing only a few missiles without a single scratch on her, the bird looked so good it could have been built yesterday.

Then your gazes drifted to the right...

...and you beheld a burned, smashed, smoking near-ruin of a once-beautiful standard VF-1S model Valkyrie that right now had no business being outside of a mecha repair facility. It looked like it had been through hell, left hell, and went back in again, only to wind up parked here in an ancient, forgotten graveyard of other dilapidated vehicles among which the battle-scarred Valkyrie looked sadly quite at home. It was even missing part of one leg. The only reason it was standing was because it was leaning up against a stack of crushed cars. The only thing on it that seemed to have escaped structural damage was its GU-11 gun pod. And that thing was scratched up so badly, the scratches had scratches.

That was when Ylva noticed that this was the vehicle Ricky was heading to. If somehow Lt. Rolland was lying about his extraction mission involving Ylva, his Valkyrie sure as hell wasn't.

Ricky made the climb up the rusty cars further trashing his sweat-stained, battleworn uniform. The cockpit opened and Ricky leaned over, carefully checking the seats. There was enough room on the cars for two and Ylva found herself there just feet away from Ricky's Valkyrie. It looked worse from up close.

As Ricky cautiously examined the pilot's chair, there came a strange clinking sound from underneath the hull of the aircraft. Not beneath, but underneath. It were as if something were playfully climbing along Jezebel's frame. Your ears heard the meow of a kitten. But your eyes saw something completely different. And that something was looking right at you both.

Hanging sideways off of the Valkyrie's nose, just a few meters away from you, was this.

Heya D.! Heya Sil! This little guy is the Liger Zero from the Zoids cartoon. Cap'n (Captain Hesperus who plays Wild Card and Traverser Sgt. Hercules Papadopolis) turned me onto the series. I fell in love with the look of this Zoid and knew at first sight that I could make a great character out of him.

So I did! Enjoy! =)
liger-z-chris-meyers.jpg
(Image credit: The gifted Mr. Chris Meyers)

Liger Zero by Ailish Abbey.jpg
(Image credit: The sensational Ailish Abbey)

But what does he SOUND like? THIS is what he sounds like... Embrace the Cute! =)
"Cute munchkin baby kitten talks too much"

The metal cat drooped slightly earthward due to gravity's hold on him, but his four paws were obviously connecting him safely to the hull as if his feet had magnetic qualities. Then he opened his teeny little mouth in a cheery, feline greeting. His whole body seemed to rise and a smile played across his face. You saw he possessed a pink, fleshy tongue. But the weird with him was just beginning.

"Meeeeeew!" your ears heard.

"Hiiii!" your brain heard.

It was the voice of a very young boy of indeterminate background or culture. He had no accent either of you could define. And yes, with one look between you, you knew you were both hearing him.

"Mrowwwwr! REEEEEWR!"

Or mentally, "You shouldn't mess wif dis! Prr'fess'r sez dere are boomies inside! BOOOOOMIES!"

Then Ricky looked back at his hands on the pilot seat he had just spent an eternity in. And that's when he saw it. A block of plastique half the size of Ricky's head, right behind where he rested his neck. The engineer in him told him it was enough to cause Mega-damage to absolutely kill everything riding inside Jezebel. And it was a pro job too, Ricky noticed. There was no way one person (say, the Professor) could have placed this in there and hooked it all up to the ejection system in less than two hours time. He was innocent. There were no parachutes in here. There was only death.

"Seeeeeee?" said Trouble as he waved a paw.

What do Ricky and Ylva do?

imageproxy (3).jpg
"Jezebel" (when she looked better. =) )
(Image credit: The highly-impressive Yoshiyuki Takani)
STATUS Location: A compound hidden in an old Mexican junkyard.
Mood Music (click to play): "Lovely Rita" by the Beatles (this is the tune Professor Stein is singing).

"You arent crazy." Ricky said to her. "I heard it too. Several times."

His poor baby... was his first thought upon seeing her. This junkyard was not going to be her final resting place.

Before Ricky stepped too far from the portal, he looked around for his pistol and clips. He could have sworn he had left them right here. He knew he did. They were gone now, and he had a hunch who probably took it. The one who had no problem arming them with a half destroyed golf club.

Still. So long as he had Jezebel, that's all that mattered. They could get out of here. At least... so long as there wasnt a bomb.

Climbing up the wing and peeking into the cockpit, his inspection was interrupted by the introduction of the mechanical cat. And, somehow, Ricky was neither amused or surprised. Of course there was a robot cat that could speak to him psychically. Why wouldn't there be? After all, if there was ever a day for it, it would be today.

"What are you doing on my Valkyrie?" Ricky demanded to the thing. Up to no good. Most likely. Working with the Stein fellow.

Though right now the bomb took precedent. He had to find out if there was one.

There was.

His heart sank. How was he supposed to stop that? It was only a plastique explosive... hardly the most advanced type of bomb out there. But booms were booms.

Ricky rested his back against the side of Jezebel and slid down until he was sitting on the wing.

"There is a bomb. Integrated with the system. Someone doesnt want you back."

With a large sigh, Ricky looked over to the mechanical cat. "You. How did Stein know about the bomb? And where is my gun?" He demanded. That reminded him!

He wanted to see if he could talk to Jezebel. Maybe he'd look crazy. But what's it matter at this point.

Ricky twisted around, pressing his stubble covered cheek up against the Valkyrie's hull. Putting his arms against it as if giving it a hug. He closed his eyes and tried to focus on it. He had no idea what he was doing.

"Jezebel. Honey. Sweetheart. Talk to me, babe. Am I going crazy?"

Forget it, she said, as if people just did that - forget that the person right next to them left the realms of sanity behind a good while ago. Rushing onward she did, as if speeding up could miraculously turn back time as well. It does not, of course. If she somehow got close to the speed of light, the twin paradox would help her out, perhaps; run away, return when he died of old age, hopefully not gone mad by her sudden retreat. Leave this entire mess behind. But who knows how the world would look like at that point. Besides, the quick pace she's setting is pretty far off that mark, anyway. So living with the consequences it is.

They're not the expected outcome, more like the exact opposite. That alone suffices to let her stop dead in her tracks. He wasn't supposed to admit that there are two insane people here, was he? Maybe just words, trying to calm her mind. People do that, right? When they let others live in their own worlds... act as if it's all good, just to keep some kind of relation alive... not much point in wondering further, now...

The world is kind, for a moment. It's got the perfect distraction lined up right ahead. How the heck that second valkyrie even made it here is a mystery in itself. Slow, deep breaths, a moment of examination. The way it looks, it should've fallen apart a good while ago. She says as much. "Good job even getting here. It's probably better than it looks, right?" Likelihoods are in her favor - it really couldn't look much worse. She leaves it to Rick to do what needs to be done, in his opinion. This is likely beyond either of their expertise; maybe beyond anyone's capabilities, except for a melting furnace's to start anew. But if there's certainty to be found, it'll be him finding it, not her. He does know his aircraft, after all. Damn well, too, if he made it this far.

Besides, the world's kindness ends right there. That thing - at least, it's less ridiculous than the robots below, from its appearance. And it's probably at least feline enough to be called a cat, even if it's not really one. You know, it's close enough on a day like this, where nothing is really quite what it seems. The trouble - Trouble? - begins as it meows. Hearable, as it should be. And yet more. Words where there should be none. In her mind. Just like she described, moments ago. As if the world wanted to confirm her narrative. Nice of it, really. But all the maniacs find daily proof for their suspicions, too, so it's really not too much reassurance. She kneels down in place, eyeing first the mechanical creature, then Rick. Visibly bothered by her mental understanding of the former, but the lack of it in the sense of plausibility. Worrying if Rick really understands as well, or if it's simply something noone can. Just imagination of a mind as much beyond repair as this valkyrie is. The look takes a turn towards relief as soon as the evidence is there. Evidence that there're either two maniacs, or none. First his expression, then the attempt to converse with tons of solid, battered steel.

She addresses him, carefully. Quiet words, as if to not drown any possible response with her own thoughts. "Depends. It's either two crazies, or a clueless world. I'd say the odds aren't too bad, given him." A nod at the cat-thing - one hand reaches out towards the mechanical creature. Careful, yet inviting. Because curiosity kills the cat, not her. "He just spoke. You understood as well, right?" It's not a real question for Rick, just vocalized confirmation of his words before. Pointless. "Doesn't make any sense. Traversing. The bomb. But at least we know, now. You ask me, that's one truth, and a lot of open questions. Come here." The last words, directed at Trouble - slow, repeated motions of her finger, waving the creature over how one might try to lure in a timid animal. Maybe this one's close enough to understand the gesture - worth a try. What then, she doesn't quite know herself. "Know the professor, little one? Bit of a weird old man; mentioned you." A pause. "How do you talk, anyway? How would we do it?" A nod at Rick, trying his best to improvise. "Just like that? Can't be, right? Too simple."

"What are you doing on my Valkyrie?" Ricky demanded to the thing. Up to no good. Most likely. Working with the Stein fellow.

"Hiding!" replied the boy-kitten meowed and looked about, his ears twitching.

With a large sigh, Ricky looked over to the mechanical cat. "You. How did Stein know about the bomb? And where is my gun?"

"Me! He talked to da ship! Purr'fess'r sez ship's name is... Jezebel!" he added a swelled-up chest and raised chin. Despite the show of pride, there was an innocence about him. "Your guuun?" Ricky and Ylva saw the little creature turn himself around, walk upside-down across the Valkyrie's hull to eagerly indicate the bus-sized GU-11 55mm rotary cannon that had been there all along. "Heeeeere it is!" Trouble beamed even more proudly as if pointing this detail to Ricky was something important and praiseworthy.

"Doesn't make any sense. Traversing. The bomb. But at least we know, now. You ask me, that's one truth, and a lot of open questions. Come here." The last words, directed at Trouble - slow, repeated motions of her finger, waving the creature over how one might try to lure in a timid animal. Maybe this one's close enough to understand the gesture - worth a try. What then, she doesn't quite know herself. "Know the professor, little one? Bit of a weird old man; mentioned you." A pause. "How do you talk, anyway? How would we do it?"

Trouble's face brightened at Ylva's invitation. He was anything but timid. "Yes! I helps Purr'fess'r find Traversers like you," he mrrooowed in answer. "I'm a wild card! Even Purr'fess'r isn't a wild card, but I am! He is weird, isn't he?" He tilted his head at her curiously. "I talk wif my mouth and mind! How does you do it?" Without waiting for answer, he continued on as gregarious as could be, sticking out his chest again and beaming, the sunlight gleaming nicely off of his attractive metallic hide. "Does you like feeesh?"

Then his ears flicked up. He quieted. Without a further word, he turned, looked toward a silent pile of cars, spun about, and quietly scampered toward the opposite side of the Valkyrie's nose and out of sight.

* * *​

Ricky twisted around, pressing his stubble covered cheek up against the Valkyrie's hull. Putting his arms against it as if giving it a hug. He closed his eyes and tried to focus on it. He had no idea what he was doing.

"Jezebel. Honey. Sweetheart. Talk to me, babe. Am I going crazy?"

It took several long moments, but Ricky received an answer. An answer directly in his mind. Genderless. Inflectionless. Purely nonjudgmental, just a slough of facts coming his way from realms beyond. "Unknown," came Jezebel's honest response. "I am critically-damaged but I can fly. My maximum altitude is 75 feet. Top speed should not exceed 100 miles per--"

BRRRRAAAT!!

Ricky's conversation with Jezebel was cut short by the sound of a submachinegun firing one long automatic burst followed by the pinging clangs of bullets ricocheting off of Jezebel's nose further marring her paint job. Ricky and Ylva spun their heads instinctively toward the sound of danger. There, holding the smoking HK-MP5 SMG was a familiar bald monster of a man wearing the uniform of medical ASC personnel. His stubbled face with no small number of scars was unmistakable. It was the brute who had kidnapped Ylva!

High up on the pile of cars that supported the Valkyrie, with 30 feet of space between them and him, Ylva and Ricky were caught in the open, Ricky especially as he was hugging the hull of the immensely-reliable transformable aircraft. He strutted out from behind the cover of the cars, the ugly brute grinned as if it were his luckiest day. The warm barrel of his submachinegun darted between Ylva and Ricky daring either of them to try anything.

"Bleedin' skirt!" he yelled and spat at Ylva while keeping a close eye on them both. "Wot did I fookin' tellya, huh? Toldya I'd be comin' for ya, baby!" He smiled the smile of the devil.

"Aaand heeeere I aaaaaam!!"

Liger Zero by Ailish Abbey.jpg
(Image credit: The sensational Ailish Abbey)
STATUS Location: Outside a compound hidden in an old Mexican junkyard.
Mood Music (click to play): "Come Together" by The Beatles

Last edited:
The cat's answers; not quite the well thought out response that her mind thirsts for at this point, but at least a start. More or less. Mostly less, but hey - you can't have it all, right?

Speaking of which - can't even give a proper response without some moron to get in the way. The second time today. The last time, with luck. The kind of luck that lets a submaschinegun suddenly go poof, or something. Unlikely, but hey - it just happens to be today, of all days, and that means that nothing's quite out of the question. Just for the record, she eats fish. All the different kinds. That includes Surströmming, in particular. Yes, that's fish, even if the naysayers might argue it's a biological weapon instead. Would make for great rations, now, the scent might drive him off.

No luck in that regard, though, only a slightly battered golf club in her hand. That'll teach this man a lesson... her face shows the frustration to meet him again, the spitting is answered in kind. Purposely too short, of course, no point to get him to do anything too stupid. Lips form a word that remains unspoken. Whoever bets it's not family-friendly is damn right.

"Gratz, well done. Even barely in time. Were about to send a searchparty, just lacked the volunteers." A few slow steps, sideways, if he allows it; careful to not provoke him, but get a bit more distance between her and Rick. No point in lining up for his shots. "So what's the plan? Got time to talk, now that we're not under fire and all that? I'll even put this thing here down, see?" The golf club, again, finds itself on the ground. Useful thing, really, if not for the foes' superior tech wherever she happens to carry it along. "Sounded like you had questions, back before you left all the sudden." The brute didn't show too much of an intellectual edge, thus far; gotta give him the chance to voice more than insults and complaints. Plus, talking equals stallling, with any luck. And for once today, that likely is in her favor. Might buy Rick a moment. Or a few more for the professor. Trouble's out there, too. A wild card on a mission, whatever that means.

"Want something? Spit it out. You've got the gun and all, I get that. What for, though? What do you want me to know?"

(Game Master note for self: D. Rex asked me to post in OOC, 15 July 2020, hence my writing for Ricky).

D. Rex D. Rex Silanon Silanon

The brute smiled, his gun barrel tracking Ylva's every move while his eyes darted between her and Ricky. "Of course, I want somethin', baby! We're gonna pick up roight where we left off in tha Logan! 'Cept this time, things are gonna be a wee bit different on your pretty end!"

In this moment, Ricky was smart enough to know three very important things. The first was, he and Ylva were sitting ducks. The second, any sudden moves from him was going to get him a chest cavity full of 9mm Parabellum bullets. Thirdly, it was likely going to happen anyway as the brute didn't need Ricky, just the VIP. Ylva. Ricky found himself leaning his face back on to Jezebel's smashed hull. If nothing else, if he were going to die today, at least it was with the one gal in the world that would never let him down. The one gal who always had his back. The one gal... he could mentally communicate with!

He let his thoughts go. "Jezebel! Babes! Honey! See that big bastard down there? Thanks to Professor Stealy Fatness, I don't have a gun to shoot at him. So, uh, I could get you to use... yours? See, he's going to shoot me. Then he's taking Ylva. If he does, me and the Blue Harem... will all die for nothing!" Having come all this way, that thought was unbearable. He imagined the GU-11 55mm rotary cannon still mounted underneath Jezebel's Guardian mode hull. If it turned just 30 degrees to Ricky's right and down about 10 feet, that Cockney son of a bitch would become a fine red mist. "Come on, baby. Talk to me!"

Jezebel responded. "Affirmative. Target acquired. However, if I fail to catch him by surprise, you will surely die."

"Babe, what choice do we--"

At that very moment, Trouble reappeared. He was climbing from the opposite side of Ricky's cockpit into the chair. He had something big, for a kitten, in his tiny mouth. From the pilot's chair, Ylva even with her few slow sidesteps could see the item. Ricky was staring right at it, but his eyes were not here. Hard to tell in the bright Mexican afternoon, but the fact-loving scientist could swear... Ricky's eyes were shining white. She could no longer see his pupils. His head was turned away or the brute would have known too.

"Heyyy!" Trouble mentally addressed both Ricky and Ylva, his childlike voice filled with excitement. "Oh noes! You seem to be having bad guy troubles! Those are the worst kind. I think you should use this!" There it was. Ricky's LP-09 Mega-damage laser pistol. One shot from that and the brute would have a hole through his body the size of a basketball.

Climbing up the inside of the cockpit, Trouble raised up on his rear legs, stretched as far up as he could, and placed the devastating pistol within easy reach of Ylva or Ricky. Now Ricky (if he broke contact with Jezebel) or Ylva could reach the weapon, no problem. Trouble added. "I'll distract him. Don't worry! He can't get me! I'm a wild card! And that means, I have to help you!"

With that pledge, the little mechanical kitten leaped out of the cockpit, through the air, and down at the mouthy brute who was still mouthing off to Ylva.

The brute was bragging on. "Toots, ya don't know how the bleedin' Army of Southern Cross is gonna suffer when you actually survive this whole ordeal! See, one ASC fella in particular don't want'cha back! He want'cha dead! I'm goin' ta all this mess savin' yer lousy excuse for a life, ya ungrateful wench! You oughtta-- What da fook?!"

"Meeeeeeeew!!"
Tiny claws extended and bitty fangs out, Trouble hurtled through the air and at the brute.

The brute did not hesitate. "Die!" BRAAAATT!! The submachinegun rocked again. There were sounds of ricochets as the bullets flew through the air, some of them again bouncing off of Jezebel's ugly hull. Trouble hit the ground with a thud. He lay there motionless as the brute gawked.

"An' what in the devil's name is that supposed ta be?!" True to Trouble's word, the brute was distracted. He even lowered the barrel of his smoking gun as he gawked at the sight of the mechanical creature lying in the hot sun.

What does Ylva do?

Last edited:
White eyes that demand an explanation. Words, indicating betrayal from within the army. Neither matters, at least for the few quick breaths that cut the moment of opportunity into smaller parts. Not even the cat matters any longer, just now. Only the pistol, within her reach. The muzzle of the brute's gun, pointing elsewhere. His attention, distracted for just a second. Long enough, maybe. It has to be. Her hand reaches out, finds the tool of death. The routine of familiar movements overcomes the shakiness, the haste. Readying the weapon, taking aim. A whiff of air escapes her clenched teeth, she holds the breath's remains in her lungs to keep the hands steady. The pointer of the left hand twitches, pulls back the trigger ever so slightly. The smallest adjustment, then it's allowed to set the energy within the pistol free. Light travels fast - there's barely time between the shot, and the result. The latter hopefully being a gun that left its owners' grip. She does not rely on it, of course. Where no words are needed, she adjusts her aim, this time targetting the man himself. Hoping he knows at least better than to attempt anything foolish.

May I attempt a disarming shot, hitting the gun? +10 to strike with pistols, +2 to disarm in case it applies (from Savate, so might require melee?). Add an action point to hopefully not screw up completely.

Both Ylva and Ricky caught the brute off-guard! He had no idea that Ylva was now armed with Ricky's LP-09 nor that Ricky had been psychically communicating with the very machine he flew in on. He was far too busy staring at what appeared to be a living mechanical cat - one that had just tried to attack him and he had just shot down.

Ylva took the offered pistol from the Valkyrie's cockpit and without a word and with military proficiency, aimed it down at the brute - or rather, at his smoking firearm. Ylva loosed a beam of pure Mega-damage energy straight at the HK-MP5 submachinegun in his hand.

In the immediate moment that followed, Ricky and Jezebel also took advantage of the brute's distraction. In a span of a heartbeat, the terribly-damaged Valkyrie moved without anyone sitting at its controls! And it's GU-11 rotary cannon turned with it!

"Ya motherless witch! Ya think ya can--"

The brute was about to turn his attention (and his gun-barrel) toward Ylva until a blast of laser fire struck the submachinegun and blasted it to smithereens. His eyes widened in surprise and terror when he saw what was next being suddenly aimed at him. He screamed.

"Whaaaat thaaa foooo--"

BRRRRRRRT!!

The sound of that gigantic anti-mecha weapon going off was something Ricky was prepared for, but perhaps not Ylva. The twirling roar - and the knowledge of the incredible amounts of devastation its bursts brought against its targets - was enough to make an unprepared person jump out of their skin! The pistol's shot was nothing compared to Jezebel's vengeful eruption of cannon-fire! The brute was struck and everything around him was pulverized into atoms! The very ground seemed to scream as the cannon-shells tore into it creating one long trench of devastation. Parts of rusted cars, trucks, and motorcycles in its path suddenly flew into the air and landed in tremendous crashes all about the junkyard.

And of the brute? There was no corpse nor any visible part of him anywhere. Just a fine pinkish mist where he once stood. The heavy smell of the GU-11's cannon filled the air.

Trouble sat back up, his Mega-damage hide in no way damaged from the brute's 9mm Parabellum bullets. He stuck out his chest and let out one long feline cry of victory (which sounded more cute than ferocious) which he cheered at both of you. "Arooowr!! Reeewoooow!!!"

In your minds, you heard that boyish voice. "Victories!! We diiid iiiit!!"

At that moment, you saw a very hurried Professor Stein suddenly emerge from the green barrier inside the open van. He appeared as if he had been moving as quickly as he could up the ramp for he was out of breath and quite alone. The bearded fellow took one look at what had happened and sighed heartily in relief.

"Thank... God..." he put one hand against the hull of the van as he tried to catch his breath.

Ricky heard a message inside of his mind that came from neither Trouble nor Professor Stein. It was Jezebel and her two words came with what sounded like a feeling of tremendous satisfaction.

"Mission complete."

imageproxy (3).jpg
(Image credit: pinterest.es)
STATUS Location: Outside a compound hidden in an old Mexican junkyard.
Instrumental Mood Music (click to play): "SDF Macross - Dog Fighter Extended"

Ricky was very surprised that it had actually worked. Surprised but too intent to let distraction get in his way. Such madness of the moment could only be accepted lest he go mad.

Lovely Jezebel was obedient. It worked. It really worked. He really could get her to do things.

The familiar sound of the cannon was loud but expected, but he couldn't let it break him from this connection. Even going as far as to squash a swelling of pride.

Even going as far as to ignore the cat and the professor.

"Jezebel. This is important. There is a bomb in the seat connected to the ejection system." He thought strongly in attempts to communicate, swallowing hard as he turned his focus to the other danger at hand. "It could kill us, and you. I need to disable it. If it is wired to the ejector seat... you should be able to have some access to it. If you can disable it easily, do so. Tell me if it can be remote detonated. If its only means of triggering is the signal from ejection, then disable the Ejector system entirely. We must not let the bomb go off. If there is a way I can do something to help, tell me."

Jezebel's response was immediate. "The bomb and I are separate machine entities. We have not communicated. I do not know if it can be remotely detonated. The male Traverser who communicated with me 8 minutes ago informed me the bomb was live and not to access my ejection system lest it detonate. At his request, I did not attempt to access my ejection system. Do you wish to override his request?" Then she added an option beyond the reach of the vast majority of Ricky's fellow human beings.

"We must not let the bomb go off. If there is a way I can do something to help, tell me."

"If you lack the ability to disarm the bomb, I recommend you find a Traverser willing to communicate with the bomb to request it to disarm itself."

Ricky tried to refrain from blinking in case it somehow ended his concentration.

"I do not trust that man. The Traverser you called him. I dont know why he is here or how. Do not let him access you again unless you can't help it. Did he tell or ask anything else of you? And is there any other bombs on you or that you know of?"

For goodness sakes... he was talking to a machine. Well... Jezebel anyway. Madness this most surely was. A dream that was all too real.

No. Dont question it yet. There would be time for that later. Must stay in the present and think of the future as it is relevant.

Ricky swallowed and continued his thoughts. "Do you know who planted this bomb and when? And you are right. Do not access the Ejector system, the risk is high. I'll try and speak with the bomb myself. Keep an eye on the cat and professor. Blast anything that threatens the girl so long as it would not harm her in the process."

When he had his answers, if any were given, he would hop back up to the cockpit and look at the bomb. Staring at it like a viper that was ready to bite him. Jezebel knew more about Traversers than he did... he didnt know how or why. But she did say it was possible to communicate with the bomb. So that meant something. Right?

He would touch it as gingerly as he if he was touching a bomb. Because he was. He didnt want to be distracted or pay any attention yet to the professor or the cat. Bomb first. Jezebel first.

He tried to focus his thoughts on the bomb like he did with Jezebel. "Tell me your purpose and trigger, if possible to do safety without detonation from anything else disable immediately and do not blow up under any circumstances. Please."

"I do not trust that man. The Traverser you called him. I dont know why he is here or how. Do not let him access you again unless you can't help it.

"Acknowledged," Jezebel replied.

Did he tell or ask anything else of you? And is there any other bombs on you or that you know of?"

"Yes," Jezebel said. "The Traverser was thorough in his requests of me. He made no demands. He stated he was short on time. He had to leave me to rescue you and the VIP. He requested my permission to disarm the bomb upon his return. I granted it. With the help of the mechanical feline, he swiftly examined me for all manner of dangers, finding only the bomb in my cockpit. Only then did he depart."

Ricky swallowed and continued his thoughts. "Do you know who planted this bomb and when? And you are right. Do not access the Ejector system, the risk is high. I'll try and speak with the bomb myself. Keep an eye on the cat and professor.

"I do not know the identities of the two Army of Southern Cross crew who installed the bomb at Eglin ASC base. They installed the bomb 3 hours and 3 minutes prior to the beginning of your mission."

"Blast anything that threatens the girl so long as it would not harm her in the process."

Now Jezebel seemed hesitant. "I cannot perform this request alone. Without a pilot or a Traverser, I am incapable of physical action."

He tried to focus his thoughts on the bomb like he did with Jezebel. "Tell me your purpose and trigger, if possible to do safety without detonation from anything else disable immediately and do not blow up under any circumstances. Please."

At first, nothing happened at all. Then, the more he focused on communication with the bomb, the more he began to realize - he was losing his link with Jezebel. He could not maintain both. Furthermore, unlike with Jezebel, the more Ricky tried to communicate with the bomb, the more he seemed to go... somewhere else mentally. But where, he could not be certain. There was only the sensation that he had never been there before.

So the professor was being helpful? That was interesting. But... then again how did he know they were here? He apparently didnt know about the mission. And how did he know about the bomb? If he didnt... what business did he have with Jezebel in the first place? It didnt matter right now. But he would log in mind the info she had told him regarding those who installed the bomb. That could be very useful in finding the traitors, cameras and logs could tell that much.

"Understood, Jez. Don't worry about it then." Goodness gracious and now he was talking to her as casually as he did when she couldnt talk to him. Madness indeed. He even said it out loud!

Regretfully he let his link with Jezebel end. Time to see what this bomb thing was. He could feel its tug, and he didnt know what it meant, other than apparently this power was working. As far as he was concerned, he wasnt entitely mentally here any. No sense in backing out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back