• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Y U L I A

DATE: QUIRTIA 25, AE 47

"A selfish one. There was a miscommunication from someone who requested my presence. My guess is a publicity event, but it could be something else as well. Regardless, they're taking on any travel expenses along with a decent pre-payment.

Yulia shook her head in understanding as Aleina spoke. She was quite well known in Ixia, not only for her archery, but for her beauty as well. It was only a matter of time before she branched out of Ixia, Yulia thought.

"I was thinking of getting lunch while I waited. That's when I ran into you, so I thought we could get lunch together. There's one restaurant in an outdoor mall I've heard good things about. We should be able to walk there under fifteen minutes."

"Well it's a good thing we found each other then. To be honest with you, I was dreading having to find food by myself. Shame the Petal couldn't spare another person to help out, but it all worked out in the end."

The conversation seemed to quiet down for a bit as the pair made their way towards the mall. Aleina seemingly lost in her own thoughts and Yulia happily walking alongside her, taking in the sights of Gael. She didn't seem to mind the silence, at least so long as she was with someone. Even at work she would try to take her breaks with co-workers, though it didn't always pan out that way.

As they strayed further from the main festivities of the central plaza, the silence became much more acute however, which Aleina seemingly picked up on.

"I sure hope Mihara's little advertisement pays off...I just hope the Petal doesn't get overrun once the festival dies down. It would be quite something though, seeing new people. I just hope they respect my archery skills as much as the usual patrons. Some pubs in Gael have dart boards, so I could easily wipe the floor of an entire packed establishment if I wanted to."

She returned the joke with a smile and small laugh of her own. "Well I'm sure we could talk Mihara into investing in something similar, though I doubt many in Ixia would take you up on that. Maybe you could even put Naoki in his place! That'd be a sight to see." Her smile widened as the thought came to her, not out of cruelty, but rather teasingly. He'd always been so uptight, even more so after his girlfriend broke up with him. A little loosening up wouldn't hurt. Though as she finished that thought the two had arrived at their destination.

At one of the many arched entrances into the mall proper stands a building decorated in various colored ribbons and banners, likely signifying that they'd recently opened. Various flora from a multitude of districts and habitats decorated the front entrance, while the smell of freshly baked breads and finely ground coffee seemed to emanate throughout the nearby vicinity. The name on the sign reads: "Peaceful Rose Bistro" decorated in simple red and white letters, with a delicate rose replacing the "I" in Bistro.

"Is this the place you heard about Aleina? It looks delightful! Oh and look they even have some Sword Lilies here near the door!"

She stopped for a moment to admire them before turning around to Aleina once again.

"Well are you ready to go in? Luckily for us it doesn't seem like there's a wait."

Interactions: (Aleina) Silver Wolf Silver Wolf

Last edited:
QXEDBUx.jpg

S. Kaplan
Sky Garden, Gael
FabulousTrash FabulousTrash Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 Meryl_ya Meryl_ya
Kaplan eyed Ronnivier as she sashayed into the fray. Needless to say, he was somewhat impressed by her ability to keep up with a tranquil façade to boot. A gesture of good will on his part, despite the rare occurrence of inviting associates for lunch or dinner. The chairman had his reasons for keeping most at a distance. Unnecessary attachments and lifeless social circles took a toll on him for the last few years. The false mask that he procured for himself in order to realize his ambitions. Eventually, he learnt to reel back, heeding the priorities that beckoned him the most. Nothing was more sacred to him now than it was when he became Chairman of Tritical. Yet, even with those principles carved deep into his bones, deprivation can prove lethal on short notice. These thoughts plagued him, yet he did not stir. Perhaps the man had simply grown numb to it. After all, beneath the tranquil waters, lurked a terrifying beast.

"There you are. I was beginning to think you might have gotten lost along the way, Ms. Ronnivier." Kaplan remarked, tucking both his hands behind him with a certain astute demeanor.

His glance shifted towards Roseya.

"Quite. One of the best views in Gael, I dare say. And yes, Riel will take us there. Shall we?" he replied, unfurling his hand towards the door, prompting Bilfin and Roniv to follow suit.

The automated doors parted, unveiling the hexagonal patterns upon the tinted panels gradually - exposing the group to the sun. The stretching steps passed them by, as a peculiar black sports-utility vehicle awaited them. A sturdy vehicle with minimal skirts and robust tires. It's engines dampened, almost impervious to the vibrating sensations of its earlier models. A well-dressed lady emerged from the driver's seat, and began propping the doors - expectant of Kaplan and his company. Despite its strong exteriors, the SUV's interiors were elegantly furnished and dressed. As protocol dictated, Bilfin would have to ride in the front passenger seat. Aside from their varied background and demeanor, Bilfin and Riel shared a common trait. The one trait that somehow kept them at a minimal distance, albeit with a compatible atmosphere of professionalism. Kaplan held the door for Roniv and Roseya first before letting himself on. Riel spun her index finger in a rotor-like motion, gesturing Bilfin to mount up, as she entered the driver seat again. The vehicle went forward, as the tinted windows relinquished its electronic screenings. After a few knowledgeable turns from the busier routes, their destination stretched before them. A grand obelisk of minimal design, rivaling that of Whitehall Tower. The Sky Garden certainly lived up to its name.

Kaplan quickly ushered forth a small conversation with the receptionist there, as they were guided towards the platform. Unlike Tritical's simpler design of an elevator, the Sky Garden's lift sported a kettle-shaped platform with a three-sixty degrees panoramic screen. The platform was purposefully positioned on the outside to provide an ascending or descending view for the passengers. All one-hundred and twenty seven floors, they went. As the door slid across before them, the top of the tower was akin to that of a wild forest. The tiles laid out before them were peripheral-refracted panels, simulating a floating isle that overlooked the entirety of the District and more. In addition, the safety-panels were curved upwards, with rooms to provide natural air tunnels. Peculiar floras dotted the site, in pots and hanging vines. The efforts of imported goods from the other Districts combined. A heavenly experience, exclusively crafted for Gael's elite. Their personal Hanging Gardens, amidst the grey pollution of mechanical badlands and treacherous alleyways.

Kaplan drew a seat for Roseya, then Roniv. The wooden table lit up before them, transitioning into a refracted electronic screen with menus provided. The menus are sorted out by District appetites and cuisines, as well as certain pairing of gourmets and dishes to sate one's gastronomic needs. Kaplan made his selections, flicking two bottles of Iscarian cabernets into the on-screen cart. This was then followed by Arian boneless chicken strips for appetizer, complemented by fries and seasoned squashes, a penne rigate entrée with spicy Yarjhan sauce, with complementary asparagus and greens. Finally for dessert, a simple Frontier-styled parfait with granola, and yogurt.

"I hope the view is to your liking, Rose. These are Ixian seeds, adapted for Gael. They do not shed as gracefully as true blossoms in Ixia, but these are more than enough to please the simple-minded folks such as myself." he said, plucking a cluster of white daffodils from the nearby vines and settled it upon the table before Roseya.

"Our chef today is well-versed in most cuisines from all seven districts, so I've been told. Whichever you so desire, do not hesitate." he added, urging Rose on with a soft smile.

"You two as well. Don't be shy." Kaplan turned towards Bilfin then Roniv, gesticulating them to go ahead and choose what they want for lunch.

Nora Venturi
By a Shabby Restaurant, Gael
Interactions: Mqueserasera Mqueserasera

As a taxi sped through the maze of streets and bridges that made up Gael’s streets, Nora stared out at the city surrounding her with wide eyes. She’d wanted on staying in the mall for a little longer and taking the opportunity to go shopping, but she’d planned out her vacation and among the activities she’d planned out was the rather simple task of buying a couple of bottles of wine—the good, foreign stuff. The company was celebrating its third anniversary and she wanted to bring something back for her friends. Her workforce only amounted to a measly two people, both of which she’d grown quite close to, and she wanted to do something to commemorate their time together. She’d already gotten gifts and everything, but there was a rule about going on a vacation a couple of days before a special occasion and it included bringing back something special.

Her lips curling up in a faint smile, Nora’s gaze absentmindedly landed on the woman in the front, long hair pulled back in a ponytail that revealed the back of her neck and her ears. Oh, right. She ought to check to make sure she wasn’t being scammed. The drivers around her were quite infamous.

Sure enough, it looked like she’d been taking a large detour—turning several blocks later than she should have just to add small amount of distance. With a grumble, golden eyes flicked up the back view mirror. “Why are we driving this way? I thought we were supposed to be all the way down there, by that building. The tallest one.”

Hearing the slight pause before the woman’s stammered response—oh, we’re just… avoiding traffic—she couldn’t help but roll her eyes. Right. Because it wasn’t like Nora’s GPS told her were all of the holdups were. “Here, just drop me off."

Hearing her curt response, the driver’s widened eyes flickered off of the road to stare at her passenger, almost sending them crashing into a nearby car. As they jerked to a stop, Nora unlocked her door before stepping out, leaving her payment on her seat. Annoyed as she was, she wasn’t going to risk going to risk getting reported over 24 credits. And though she told herself that, it still stung. Not because she missed the money—she would have paid that much for a ride anyways—but because of who she was giving it to.

Realizing that there was someone nearby, Nora turned towards them, taking in the rather tall woman in front of her with short black hair and sharp eyes. “Sorry about that. We had a bit of a disagreement,” she said, apologetic expression twitching slightly as she said the last word, “but I didn’t expect her to lose control of the car.”

E2KxHWmVkAQ_hvQ.jpg
Hana
On the Sidewalk of a Gael Intersection
Interacted with: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse & StaidFoal StaidFoal

Vaetrix said:
"The same place you should be: dead or in prison."​

Ah, thank goodness-- the parents of District Zero are teaching the new generation valuable life lessons-- Hana was relieved to hear that somebody recognized her, even though for the wrong-est of reasons. It had been a long time, twenty-four hours to be exact, since she had heard insults and warnings tossed in her general direction, and the eerie peace that came with silence with it was a bit disconcerting. The sword she carried hummed in agreement within her head:

"It's no fun chasing statues-- the pursuit is always the best--"

Even if it was a bit selfish to put it like that-- Hana, when given the opportunity-- would prefer to chase and devour the heartless and cruel, and would spend her days observing and watching passersby from rooftops, becoming the eyes and ears of District Zero and would root out those she would deem unworthy of life. The consequences of it though-- was that she became known as a ruthless vigilante-- or well, that's what she wants to believe anyway, perhaps she was no different than the monsters she wanted to remove. She wanted to simply walk away and let bygones be bygones-- after all, she wasn't gonna let some little squirt's paltry words be any reason for hostility. But-- it seems another child had waltzed into their midst, their gum flaps moving both hesitantly yet hastily--
Cedrix said:
"T-Take this honorable tribute a-as a means of forgiveness of a man responsible for many wrongdoings..."
"Please let everyone go! They didn't do anything wrong!"​
Vaetrix said:
"I... apologize--- In a fit of passion, I misspoke. Rest assured I have no quarrel with you or your people."​

Bemused by this interaction-- she wondered why this boy suddenly offered cash to this girl who had saved her. Perhaps a debt needed to be settled? Her blank expression looked down upon the child inquisitively, as if she were taking note of an ant that was crawling around on the pavement-- something that Hana could choose to step on or avoid completely. Regardless, she thought this was the time to turn around and continue her pursuit of her goal until--
Vaetrix said:
I would ask what has possessed you to crawl out of your hole and into the light of day, but prior evidence suggests you are only capable of two things -- killing and looking for the next person to kill -- so I'll save us both the trouble. 'Who' and 'why,' Hana? The sooner the deed is done, the better.​

The red-haired berserker had stopped mid-stride, hearing her name read aloud like that wasn't a common occurrence. It was obvious that this kid knew who she was and could use her identity against her. How did she know? Usually she hid behind the specter of the Red Terror, never giving her name, just only appearing as some vengeful wraith that swept the streets of her home district. But this person had dropped her name, something that she would only give to her victims out of courtesy of receiving theirs. Did she leave witnesses? Was she watched somehow? Or perhaps this was an associate--?

Mirror moving with the conversation-- Hana also kept her voice low, bending down a bit to meet eye-to-eye with the small child. "And why should I let you know--? I don't know you. Although, I'm pretty sure everyone back home knows who I am. You're standing next to the Red Terror, shouldn't you be a bit more courteous when asking something from me?" she flashed a smug smile down at the child, although-- it was the most obnoxious part of being the Red Terror, playing up the smugness and the high-and-mighty whatcha-gonna-do-about-it attitude that comes with being ridiculously, terrifyingly strong, while she hated it-- it too was something she oft abused for her advantage.

1623836749975.png

Haldir Bilfin
interactions: Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 FabulousTrash FabulousTrash Meryl_ya Meryl_ya
While Kaplan and Roseya conversed Haldir’s gaze was drawn elsewhere the imposing remenats steely vision seemingly following a invisible as it moved, pivoting slightly too keep eye contact with whatever the object was. Exhaling sharply in amusement at something. It was said that most bilfin’s had a sort of sixth sense and this was true, Haldir being able to see in a sort of thermal vision and had gotten rather good at discerning object and people. By no means was it a unquie trait it simple was far more useful in there line of work. But the man hardly needed such a sense to watch Ronnivier’s mad dash into the building just and appearing almost as if on que to the others. “Perfect timing as always Miss Ronnivier Haldir commented, his tone making it hard to tell if it was supposed to be sarcastic or not, but the smirk on his face showed he at least found the situation amusing. with them now all present a simple gesture form Kaplan had them all make there way out side Haldir remaining close to Kaplan as always, waiting for the other 3 to enter the vehicle bofore giving Riel a small nod before swiftly making his way to his normal front seat position as per protocol.

As expected the drive short thanks to Riel’s skills and knowlege of the streets. leaving the vehicle first Haldir took moment to stare at the sky garden tower despite being here a few times all having been in a more offical capacity there was still a great sense of awe to the place that one couldn’t easily ignore. With that moment of distraction now passed he‘d take up in normal position and following.

now sitting at the table haldir stared at the digital menu having been struck with indecisiveness on what to order despite Kaplan’s ushering he was left stumped for a good few minutes. “Hmm particularly hard choices” he‘d say softly but eventually he’d manage to settle on something. A T-bone steak with a fresh garden salad and mash potato. Nothing too fancy but obviously it would be high quality showing Haldir’s more Simple tastes

elf.jpeg
Aleina "Redleaf" Goldbloom
Interactions/Mentions: Yulia ( Zufaix Zufaix )

"Indeed," Aleina replied as she looked at the relatively small wait time. "You'd imagine they'd be more packed during an event like this, but that's luck I guess."

Aleina walked in with Yulia following shortly behind. Cafe places were always nice in their atmosphere and much better with company. Hence her choice to bring Yulia. Normally Aleina didn't drink coffee unless she needed to, but the aroma of roasted and ground coffee was quite tempting. Pastries and bread sat in a display window near the register which had a menu behind it decorated in a pattern of vines on the side which gave way to two roses at the top corners. The menu was also in a blackboard which added to the rather quaint air. Aleina examined the board briefly before making her own order.

"I'll take a Budding Turkey Sandwich along with a side of of soup. As for drinks...I'll take a small cup of the House Blend, with some cream and sugar. I'll also take whatever she's having," Aleina finished while giving Yulia time to place her own order. Once both had ordered, Aleina received her coffee and she led Yulia to the outdoor dining area where they sat down.

Aleina sniffed the coffee a little before gracefully ulling it to her lips as though she were drinking tea. A short sip later, she moaned a low sound of pleasure at the taste. She then placed the cup down and leaned back a little in her chair. Her bow had been taken off along with the quiver which were placed on the side of her chair. Combined with the fresh air, the entire moment could be described as pure bliss.

"It's not often I drink coffee beyond its necessary use, but this establishment sure lives up to its reputation for turning the drink into an art. Perhaps not all that unlike tea in the two districts I've lived in."

Aleina noted a child shuffling around the nearby plaza, looking around. She made a passive internal note then turned her attention back to Yulia. She decided to take another sip of her beverage, exhaling with joy at the aroma as it trickled down her throat. She glanced another look at the child, still looking. Her vision kept it in her peripheral view, stealing glances in the direction every so often.

V a e t r i x
008.jpg
DATE: 25th of QUIRTIA, AE 47
INTERACTING WITH:
StaidFoal StaidFoal Spookyy- Spookyy-

"And why should I let you know--? I don't know you. Although, I'm pretty sure everyone back home knows who I am,” The woman said, haughtily. “You're standing next to the Red Terror, shouldn't you be a bit more courteous when asking something from me?"

“I entertained the fantasy that you were a victim -- a slave to your instincts, yearning for freedom. I saw virtue in defending you,” Vaetrix replied after a few quiet seconds of reflection. Her gaze drifted to Hana’s grotesque sword when she uttered the word ‘slave,’ but quickly returned to the woman’s face. “Although the illusion is broken… you are somewhat correct. I have been discourteous, which was not my intention. For that --and only that-- I apologize.”

It was the same apology she would offer to anyone who told her she was being rude. It was the same apology she had offered to the young d-type after losing her temper on him moments ago. Pride was the worst emotion of all. It clouded judgment and often precluded mission failure. The apology was a genuine one, born of a desire to suppress such things.

But she was aware that more than an apology was needed here.

"I am reassessing my relationship with you… a relationship you were not even aware of until a moment ago,” she said after a few seconds of reflection, “Your query is invalid. I am not standing next to ‘the Red Terror.’ I am standing next to Hana… who appears to be unable to tell the difference between an ‘ask’ and an ‘offer,’ perhaps because she does not think anyone can offer her anything.” She paused. “If this is the case, she is mistaken. And if it is not, I owe you a second apology.”

Therese Armata

The sound of bells ringing repeatedly echoed through every corner of the building, marking a daily milestone that most would have simply called lunch break or lunchtime. Numerous employees of the Valkyrion Firm, be they office staff or otherwise, have started to leave their stations, and exited the building like ants swarming out of an anthill - swiftly dispersing and taking their own paths as they stepped out of the building's gates.

There were a few, however, who remained - some out of choice, some due to the nature of their job. Therese belonged to the latter, for she was working in VF's security department. Though security staff were given the freedom to partake in the rather common practice of lunch breaks, they still had to perform their duties - and with most of her coworkers opting to take their breaks in the security staff's office, she was one of the few who remained on standby and monitored those who entered and exited the building.

At the front gates of the building were two female figures, both wearing a blue-tinted uniform that clearly depicted them as part of the building's security staff. Although one was half the size of the other, a strange feeling of equal respect resonated between the two - as if the great difference between their two physiques held no weight in their bond and their capabilities.

"Why don't you go and take a break, Therese?", said a Type-D Remnant. "I can take it from here."

Although the uniform had been customized to fit her frame, it was still a bit strange to look at. In addition to her somewhat high-pitched voice, it was rather evident for someone to find her as a peculiarity, especially given the nature of her job. It was not common for Type-Ds to get into a job that has been heavily associated with physique and intimidation, after all.

"Are you sure, Calni?", Therese responded with a glance.

"Yup.", the Type-D Remnant nodded.

"I'm not really that hungry. Besides, I don't have any food packed.", Therese added.

"I got a solution for that. Just give me a quick moment.", Calni took out a phone from her pocket, and began to fiddle on the device's screen with taps and swipes. And after some time, Calni turned her gaze towards Therese as a loud ping resonated from her phone. "I got you some of that famous Ixian rice treats from the stalls at the central plaza."

Therese turned with slight surprise showing on her face. "Wait, isn't that place packed? How did you even get an order so quick?"

"Girl, when it comes to food, I can't be beat.", the Type-D said smugly. "Anyways, it should be here in about fifteen minutes. Maybe less if this delivery guy is competent."

And before the clock's hands could even signal the ten minute mark, the sound of a motorcycle's engine whirring could be heard from beyond the building's front gates. In the distance, a young man wearing a blue hoodie swiftly paced towards the two, holding a box with both of his hands. As this man came closer and closer, his features were gradually revealed in detail - his skin, fair and smooth akin to a maiden's, his brown silky hair flowed gently under the wind's embrace, and his eyes glimmered as a precious gem. The beautifying essence of a Type-C clearly flowed in the young man's veins, yet he remained to appear as yet another Type-A.

Upon reaching the front gates, the young man's eyes turned to the two who were present. First on to the towering horned lady, then to the other one who was half her size. He shifted his gaze back to the label on the box, and then to the two ladies before him again.

"Uhh...", he said. "Delivery for Miss Calni Torsage?"

"Yup, that's me.", Calni answered as she stepped forward. "I'll be using my card, by the way."

"Of course, ma'am.", the young man moved the box to his left hand and brought out a small device with a slit on its side. He then extended the device to the other Remnant, who promptly took it.

Calni swiped her card, and signed on the device's screen. But no response was shown on the device afterward. No confirmation of the transaction whatsoever. "You sure this thing is working? I'm still on the payment confirmation page."

"Ah it's just loading ma'am, don't worry about it. The device is a bit aged, so it's slower than usual.", the young man reassured her.

Meanwhile, from a distance, Therese's eyes were fixated on the young man. Like a hawk eyeing its prey, Therese thoroughly observed the young man's actions - although she already had an underlying impression of him being well, just another average Remnant, it was better to be safe than sorry. Identifying suspicious individuals, after all, was one of Therese's strong suits.

After a minute, a beep came from the device and the screen showed the transaction's details and its confirmation.

"Ah, you were right.", Calni said, as she extended the device to the young man, who then exchanged it with the box.

"Enjoy your meal and have a great day, ma'am!", the young man nodded as he went back to his motorcycle and started it up. He took out his phone in the midst of it, and got into a call that lasted for a brief moment, then left the vicinity of the building shortly after.

In that whole time he was there, the young man never escaped Therese's gaze - which Calni had clearly noticed, and upon returning to her side with the box, she immediately called her out on it.

"If you had heat vision, that guy would have melted."

"Just making sure."

Calni gave Therese a disappointed look as she handed her the box. "He's just delivering what I ordered. Is that really a case for suspicion?"

Therese took the box, and opened it. "Well...you never know.", she said as she gazed at the contents - six Ixian treats, rice shaped into balls with a variety of filling at their cores. Therese took two out, one for herself and the other for Calni, who took it without a word.

A quick bite into the treat gave her mouth a burst of flavor, from the rice's chewy texture and classic taste, and the treat's filling that was sweeter than most candies from South Gael.

"Thanks, Calni.", Therese said.

"As long as you pay me later.", the Type-D Remnant smirked.

"Su-"

"That was a joke.", Calni gave yet another disappointed look towards her coworker.

E2KxHWmVkAQ_hvQ.jpg
Hana

Vaetrix said:
“I entertained the fantasy that you were a victim -- a slave to your instincts, yearning for freedom. I saw virtue in defending you-- Although the illusion is broken… you are somewhat correct. I have been discourteous, which was not my intention. For that --and only that-- I apologize.”

Something had swelled within the chest hearing those words. Someone had actually idolized, her? The Red Terror-- the phantasmal mist that stalks the streets of District Zero-- she had believed her to be someone who was dependent upon their instincts-- who could live freer than anyone else owing to their might and strength. If only she knew the truth-- the strings attached that come with harboring such strength. A pitch black rage formed around her, seizing her hair by the roots, lifting her up as if she were a carrot, bringing her to her eye level-- her eyes widened as she scrutinized her-- the words that followed only becoming increasingly maddening--

Vaetrix said:
"I am reassessing my relationship with you… a relationship you were not even aware of until a moment ago-- Your query is invalid. I am not standing next to ‘the Red Terror.’ I am standing next to Hana… who appears to be unable to tell the difference between an ‘ask’ and an ‘offer,’ perhaps because she does not think anyone can offer her anything. If this is the case, she is mistaken. And if it is not, I owe you a second apology.”

She could feel her grip tighten, one crack of the neck, and that would be it-- she could dispose of the garbage who knew her name, and who was foolish enough to declare it in front of her right now. Yet-- Hana was intrigued-- someone was willing to extend out help to a monster like her-- just like that woman. Feast or famine-- she mused to herself. Perhaps-- if this person was so savvy with information, this kid could perhaps give her a good lead as to what she's after--

"Seems like you know how to get yourself a good deal of information-- that's great-- because if you were anyone else--" she stopped herself, even though she was a monster-- she couldn't be so vulgar and gluttonous in front of a little child. Setting her down safely onto the ground, whatever signs of hostility that emanated from her had ebbed away--

"Fine-- I'll spill-- I'm looking for a famous Wagyu Chef that's supposedly lurking around for the festival that's being held around here. It's said that his meals can restore taste to those who have lost such a sense-- I'm on a life-or-death time limit, so I need to see this guy as soon as possible-- even cutting the line a bit early, if you know what I mean. You help me track this guy down, and I'll be out of mind and out of sight."

Cedrix Drixton
1625442505091.png

INTERACTIONS: Spookyy- Spookyy- (Hana) AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Vae)

NEARBY: None

Only after Vae filtered through the wallet and spared him his life and a few credits—and the briefest of celebrations in his mind—did some cogs spin in his brain. Now that he could actually hear what the two were talking about, he stood frozen in place as she went on with very clear contempt. The Red Terror, as he suspected, was indeed the terror of District Zero, standing here of all places! "You're not buddy-buddy?" Cedrix slammed his head with both hands, feeling his mind slow. If any of his friends caught wind of this, he would never hear the end of it.

Cedrix dashed away from the duo, disappearing between the crowds of people.

It made sense; the only sensible thing to do was to slip away. He'd already lingered in this place long enough. The tall lady knew exactly who he was and even made his pants soak, and the taller Red Terror—each big enough to step on the poor boy—was just a breath away. If Nayli were here, she would have dragged him through the pavement and the bustling streets as soon as she realized how tense of a situation it had become.

Except Cedrix was not sensible.

Going around in a loop, he reappeared behind Hana, donning a smug, cat-like smirk, as if Vae had never caught him. For someone so notorious, that means they have a lot of money, right? Cedrix stood on his toes, reaching for the Red Terror's pockets.

V a e t r i x
008.jpg
INTERACTING WITH:

Even while she was in the hands of the Red Terror, Vaetrix’s expression remained neutral, fighting back the stinging pain of being held up by her hair. Well, her feathers. Her ‘head wings.’ Whatever. Nearly three decades on this world and she wasn’t quite sure what to call it, nor did she care. The important thing, right now, was to show no weakness.

The Red Terror was a wild animal, not the powerful-but-pitiable girl she had initially believed her to be. And animals could smell fear. Show no fear, was all Vaetrix could think as the woman held her aloft. She did not flinch. She did not blink. The determination in her eyes did not falter. She didn’t enter this encounter expecting to survive and she wanted Hana to be thoroughly aware of that. Vaetrix didn’t enter any encounter believing life was assured. Death lurked around every corner, now more than ever.

“ Seems like you know how to get yourself a good deal of information-- that's great-- because if you were anyone else--” the woman said, but stopped, as if interrupted by a new train of thought. Perhaps she finally realized where they were and what this looked like to the dozens –perhaps even hundreds-- of potential witnesses all around them. Or maybe she finally saw the value in allying with someone who wielded knowledge, instead of raw strength.

Good. You’re not so wild after all, Vaetrix thought as the woman set her back on her feet. She slicked back her feathers and kept a straight face despite the sharp flashes of pain biting at her scalp. She was no stranger to pain or people who thought they could use it against her, but that didn't mean she enjoyed it. She had been lifted by her hair before. It was just another side effect of being, umm... vertically challenged. Not 'short.'

"Fine-- I'll spill-- I'm looking for a famous Wagyu Chef that's supposedly lurking around for the festival that's being held around here, Hana confessed. “It's said that his meals can restore taste to those who have lost such a sense-- I'm on a life-or-death time limit, so I need to see this guy as soon as possible-- even cutting the line a bit early, if you know what I mean. You help me track this guy down, and I'll be out of mind and out of sight."

For the first time today, Vaetrix actually looked surprised. Her previously emotionless features twisted into confusion, then denial, then right back around to confusion. “Y-you’re kidding…” she said, more to herself than to Hana. “Of all the stupi-“ No, you’re doing it again. Don’t be rude.

She literally bit back the word, recomposed herself, and exhaled a long sigh. She was clearly out of patience for this, but also aware that she had chosen to enter into this encounter. It’s not as if Hana had approached her. And now that she was involved, walking away wasn’t an option. If The Red Terror was left to her own devices, a lot of people might die. Although Vaetrix never saw herself as a hero or even as a ‘good person,’ she couldn’t ignore how ugly this search manhunt might become if Hana carried on without supervision.

“Give me a name, a face, and 24 hours max. And no killing,” Vaetrix said, folding her arms and doing her best to pretend the d-type boy wasn’t about to do what she was sure he was about to do. She spied him in the corner of her eye, but did not look directly at him, so as not to draw Hana's attention. His greed might be the death of him, but Vaetrix could only save so many people in a day. But then, to her surprise, her mouth seemed to move on its own:

"And my partner comes with," she quickly declared, pointing straight at him.

Stupid, stupid, stupid... what are you doing, Vae.

Someday, she would find a way to fully rid herself of a conscience and let fools meet their foolish ends. But, apparently today wasn't that day.

Last edited:
Hnet-com-image.jpg
JANE EXETER
Mentions: Once Once

“That’s OK, I’ll get back on my own.” Jane hung up the phone and again brought the cig to her mouth. Once or twice she glanced back at the temporarily closing restaurant. With all the blinds shut and doors closed, the establishment stood out like a sore thumb in the middle of the busy intersection, especially on so festive a day. “They better clean it up quick,” she muttered. Not that she expected more customers today, but rather she wanted to avoid drawing needless attention to one of her major sources of income.

On the other side of the streets, two police cars parked. One officer could be seen lazily questioning the staff inside a hotel lobby. Only the occasion glances were thrown their way: on a day like this, with so many places and events to be at, some officers investigating a suicide isn’t a likely subject of curiosity.

Jane looked both ways then crossed the street, approaching one of the police cars. The moment she stepped foot on the pavement, a succession of braking and honking sounds startled her. By instinct, she thrust both hands inside her jacket, gripped firmly the concealed firearms. She spun, blood rushed to her head. Worst case scenario: a drive-by shooting. She cursed, should have dropped to the floor at the first warning. Why else would this happen in so opportune a time? in a place she was known to frequent, and as soon as she had turned her back to the street, if not for a calculated assault?

But her panic was unwarranted, the source of the honking chains was just an ordinary-looking cab, from which a brown girl issued. The girl’s face was darkened in a foul mood as she glanced back at the speeding away car. The driver didn’t seem to want to linger with the police so close by.

Perhaps perceiving Jane’s gloomy frown as directing at herself, the girl then proceeded to apologize for the incident.

“Disagreement?” Jane repeated, putting on an inscrutable air, “are you ripped off or something?”

It was expected. With gullible tourists pouring in Gael as a result of the relaxed border control, the street vultures found in them tasty and easy targets, many weren’t aware of their scheme until their wallets have been sucked dry. Though the girl standing before her seemed anything but gullible – she had some sense in her by the look of it.

Jane herself sensed something in the girl. She prided herself a good judge of character, and she knew almost certain that this one was no ordinary civilian. What came next was therefore not an act of charity.

“Come,” she beckoned the brown girl, “I’ll give you a ride.” She walked to the police car parking nearby and tapped on the glass. A head emerged from the window, his eyes widened.

“Inspector Jane? What’re you doing here?”

“What for? My subordinate was the one who found the body and called you here. But anyway,” she pointed over to the brown girl, “that girl’s just got scammed. Check your car’s cam for the cab just now then call the guy in. But before that, give us a ride home.”

Holding the car’s door, she shifted her attention to the girl in question, “so, where are you headed?”

1625789159732.png
Roseya Ilana

Interactions/Mentions: Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 Meryl_ya Meryl_ya Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3

Roseya watched as Kaplan addressed the Type-D, Ronnivier, matching his gaze when he looked back towards her. Once Kaplan gestured that it was time to get moving, Roseya nodded and followed him out with the others. She scanned the area ahead of them until her eyes fixated on the black SUV that was parked up ahead. When Riel stepped out into view, Roseya gave the woman a wave. She was familiar with Kaplan's personal driver, having been driven by her multiple times before hand. Roseya climbed into the vehicle through the open door that Kaplan opened for her and Ronnivier, sitting on the side. Every now and then, Roseya looked out the window to the passing surroundings, like she did on her way to Gael. Though, the drive wasn't as long and as they arrived at their destination, Roseya couldn't help but stare at the towering building ahead of them. She had heard stories about the famed Sky Garden restaurant, but never had the chance to try it until now. It was definitely taller than Whitehall tower, Roseya knew for sure.

As she got out of the car, Roseya thanked Riel for driving them before following the group inside. She waited for Kaplan to check them in before they were escorted into the lift. It was rather large, intended to shuttle multiple groups of people at a time. Though it seemed they were the only passengers for this trip. Roseya watched through the screens like a child, fixated at the view as they rose all the way to the top. The marveling didnt stop there. Roseya's eyes were greeted by the main attraction of the restaurant, a literal garden mixed into the room, with a variety of different plants and other decor that made the floor look like thin air.

Roseya nodded to Kaplan, sitting in the chair that he pulled out for her, then watched as he pulled out some of the flowers from a nearby display. She immediately recognized them before Kaplan began talking about them. As he placed them in front of her, she reached out and raised the daffodils to her nose, taking a small sniff. They definitely smelled like the ones from home. When she was young, Roseya's mother had a small garden out in the backyard of their home and tended to it on her off days. She still did, and whenever Roseya visited, she made it a point to help her out, even a little bit.

She placed the daffodils back down and off to the side, nodding as a sign of thanks, then shifted her focus to the menu. Kaplan continued on, speaking high praise about the chef at the restaurant. Roseya scrolled through the menu, before settling on sushi, with a spicy sauce and rice on the side.

Her eyes stole a quick glance over to Ronnivier and Bilfin. Roseya felt the smallest feeling of awkwardness, since she wasn't really able to include them in the social environment. Though, thankfully, Kaplan addressed them directly, as to not alienate them.

Roseya placed her order, closing the menu and glanced over to Kaplan.

"I take it you'll be attending the President's celebration?"

Last edited:

E49Mr1bVIAIW2cK.jpg
Hana

Hana wasn't oblivious enough to not see her feathered compatriot's startled reactions. After all- The Red Terror, a being who could simply huff and puff, and an entire complex would come groveling at her feet for mercy is looking for some third rate chef that piqued her fancy? The truth was-- that she was hoping the rumors and legends about this mystery man were true, so that if she were to regain her sense of taste, perhaps it would be the beginning to an end of her constant see-food diet. But-- to admit that a being such as her was suddenly going cold turkey? Impossible. It would ruin the order she established in District Zero-- there would be a sea of upstarts now more confident in their abilities to come and take their chances-- for if she was not the terror that kept the true hunters at bay, who would be?

Regardless-- she didn't flinch at the little girl's stupor-- she didn't want to shatter her image as somebody never to piss off any further with wasted words and hasty explanations. Besides-- another burst of emotions and she would just feed into the parasitic sword that plagues her to this day. The redhead reached in her back pocket, rustling for a flyer she picked up on the streets of her home district. It was already crumpled, as such things were proliferated non-stop, even in a backwater like the one she lived in. She handed it to the girl--

"This is one of the many flyers flown up to advertise the event here in Gael. Got his face and all of that--" On the cover appeared to be a blue-haired charlatan, who was perhaps dressed up more to go on a talk show rather than to start working in a kitchen. Even so-- it didn't matter, his talent and technique was tried and tested enough that she would feel comfortable hedging her bets on him.

"Although-- I can't promise no casualties, I'll 'try' to make it painless if its absolutely necessary-- and that's the best you're going to get out of me," she retorted back-- as the Red Terror wasn't about to be ordered around by anybody, let alone a child-- even if this kid was some sort of prodigy-- she had to lay down the law. After all, as patient as she may seem right now-- the thing about being seen as a crazy homicidal maniac-- is that they know what happens when you crack-- and expects that this girl knows better to take it her way rather than the highway.

As she rested her hand at her side, she brushed her fingers against a couple puffs of curly hair-- instinctively, she stretched out her digits as to dig them into the skull of whoever was foolish to sneak up behind her-- but she relented upon hearing the wingless bird call out that it was something important to her as well. She more gently wrapped her hand around the hair of would-be pickpocketer, as she raised him up in a similar fashion as she did for the person talking to her. He's probably not a District Zero resident, no one would ever try to pull that kind of shit if they knew who I was. Poor thing, I shouldn't be too hard on him then.

"This thing's your 'partner'?" she mused a bit, lifting up the vertically challenge to her eyesight was obviously the most convenient for her-- and was, to her, a good habit worth having. Scrutinizing him as well, trying to see if she could glean anything useful about him just from with her naked eyes. Spare blood, I suppose, she concluded-- but not wanting to announce. She looked back at the kid in grey, her eyes squinting as if she's thinking as to whether or not she should buy into whatever game she's playing at--

"Alright-- introduce him for me then, and yourself too while you're at it-- I don't work with, or for, strangers. Unless you're content with me calling you 'kid' or 'squirt' for the rest of our partnership?"

V a e t r i x
009.jpg
INTERACTING WITH:

"This is one of the many flyers flown up to advertise the event here in Gael. Got his face and all of that," Hana said, as she offered a flyer with the target’s image.

”Don’t know him,” Vaetrix said in her monotonous no-nonsense tone as she accepted the crumpled slip of paper and studied it, committing his image to memory. Having no experience with or interest in the culinary world, her ignorance of this man should come as no surprise.

"Although-- I can't promise no casualties, Hana went on to say. Vaetrix briefly glanced up from the page, but said nothing. “I'll 'try' to make it painless if it’s absolutely necessary-- and that's the best you're going to get out of me."

“Right,” Vaetrix said, folding the paper and pocketing it. With people like Hana, it was best to let them think they’re holding all of the cards. Admittedly, she was holding a very important card --raw violence and savage power-- but nowhere near the level of dominance she thought she had. The ability to kill loses its potency when faced with those who are willing to die for their cause.

We’ll see how this hunt goes, Vaetrix thought. Afterwards, I’ll decide if she’s worth working with… or if she even can be worked with.

Before she could say another word, the red-headed monster latched onto the boy’s head of curly hair and lifted him, just as she had done to Vaetrix a moment ago. This immediately brought a frown to Vaetrix’s face, but otherwise she seemed rather indifferent about it all.

"This thing's your 'partner'?" the beast mused, as she studied her prey. "Alright-- introduce him for me then, and yourself too while you're at it-- I don't work with, or for, strangers. Unless you're content with me calling you 'kid' or 'squirt' for the rest of our partnership?"

Vaetrix’s lips moved in response, but she was cut off by another voice:

“Hey, Roy’s ordering food and wanted to know what you-- oh, wow, are you guys doing some kind of cosplay thing!?” Lee said as he stepped up beside Vaetrix with a bright smile. His little tail wagged with delight and his doggy ears perked up. “That’s a bold move, dressin’ up as the Red Terror. But, god, it looks so real!” he said with a stupid grin. His eyes took it all in. The outfit… the sword prop… the dynamic ‘action pose,’ holding her victim up by his hair. Even the type d’s acting was on point.

“Wow,” he said again after a pause, before taking out his phone to snap a picture.

“She doesn’t do this for free, you know,” Vaetrix said sharply. ”Pay the woman.”

“Oh, right, my bad,” Lee said and began fishing for his wallet… which Vaetrix quickly pulled from her pocket and handed to him. “How did you…”

Keep a close eye on your stuff. I found that on the ground,” Vaetrix said in a kinder tone. While his brain did backflips, she decided this would be a good time to deliver the finishing blow: ”Tell Roy I’m taking the rest of the day off. We’re ahead of quota, anyway.”

“I… uhhhhm… r-right,” Lee said. His eyes darted from the ‘cosplayer’ to the type-d to Vaetrix and then back to the cosplayer. She couldn’t tell if he was connecting the dots or malfunctioning, but, as his enthusiasm slipped away and the color drained from his face, it became clear he’d arrived at a grim conclusion. “S-seeyatomorrow,” he blurted out, his voice breaking. He capped it off with a nervous laugh before fleeing the scene so fast, he nearly ran into a street lamp.

Vaetrix turned to Hana and the friendly persona she had adopted when Lee bumbled into their midst immediately vanished. ”I’m ‘Kid.’ That’s ‘Squirt,’” she said with a nod to the captive pickpocket. “I don’t know his name, but I know who he represents. If you want to know more than that, let’s take this somewhere private. No more interruptions. No more threats and posturing. Let’s get down to business. Unlike you, I don’t enjoy attention.”

Cedrix Drixton
1626073294270.png

INTERACTIONS: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Vae) Spookyy- Spookyy- (Hana)

Cedrix paused in his tracks when she mentioned a search for a Wagyu chef. Wagyu as in the meat? The thought of it made his mouth salivate. But back to the matter at hand, checking the pockets of—

"And my partner comes with"

Cedrix twirled around, keeping his arms straight in front of him. He turned his head up to the Red Terror. "D-Don't mind me, I'm Just stretching my arms! Isometric exercises! Care to join—?" No dice; she didn't like the idea of staying fit and grabbed Cedrix, lifting the small boy into the air. Under different circumstances, it would have been fun to see above the average populace. Truly, the past 23 years of his life were a complete miracle. Fool me twice... Cedrix kicked and squirmed around in her iron grip, but to no avail. He only froze up with a cold pale when Hana eyed him like a predator and its prey. His life, in her hands. A big enough action to make him realize just how stupid he acted out of excitement.

When in doubt, there was only one thing to do. Cedrix curled up as small as he could've in her grasp. He feigned a pitiful sniffle as if on the verge of tears, looking at her eyes with gleaming eyes. "Missus Wed Tewwor? Pwease wet me go! I'm just a widdle boy!"

In the middle of his swarmed mind, Cedrix had caught snippets of the conversation between the Red Terror and the Scary Half-Bird. Of Hana being present for the sake of a chef...? Uncertainty pained him as he tried recalling the portions, now that Scary Half-Bird was dragging him into her escapades. And the chef thing sounded too ridiculous to be the Red Terror's real goal, but there wasn't much else to go off of. But if it was about the aforementioned Wagyu chef... Wouldn't finding him be a blessing?

Though his eyelid twitched as Vae called him 'Squirt.' How rude! I have a name, too!

"CEDRIX DRIXTON!" The deafening yell made him freeze. Stood on a bus stop, hands surrounding her mouth like a speaker, was a Type-D girl around Cedrix's age. Puffing her cheeks in the sarcastic pout she always does, she put her fists on her hips, scanning the glaring crowd expectantly.

Nayli?! The boy acted up again, squirming with even more terror as his childish act immediately fell apart.

"Drag your butt over here! It is about to start!" The girl's voice cracked at the last word, making Nayli flush a bright red. That, and the sheer volume of her voice. She bent over with her hands on her knees, taking a few moments to breathe.

Fiddlesticks. Meira's speech; the first rally to be held in District Gael. It was a "monumental event," according to their leader. A "stepping stone for future endeavors." Gee, I thought there was more time... If I'm late then Meira would use the Hymn on us again, but... But finding the chef would get tons of food, right...? It's a good excuse, right? When was the last time we had enough for a full table? A party, even? Pursing his lips together, he squirmed a tiny bit more in her grip, looking at Vae. "'Squirt' it is! And if we want to find a chef in here we should go as fast as we can, right?" Cedrix forced a chuckle, notably more anxious. Then there was that other thing, making him "glare" at her. "You also need to tell me how you know about me! I've never seen you in any of Her secret rallies! Everyone's sworn to secrecy!" Vae didn't make it any less apparent that she knew about the Providential; there shouldn't have been any reason for her not to tell, he reasoned. Of which has gotten him in the finest of situations.

RONIV
- LOG_02 -

DATE: QUIRTIA 25, AE 47

The restaurant was entrancing, Roniv had to say. No, that was an understatement, she was practically squeaking in her seat. Roniv knew that the moment she had been invited to a restaurant of her boss's choice, anything less grandeur would be off the table. And she knew she had prepared herself for anything so when they arrived, she wouldn't be overwhelmed by the incoming scenery of which can be held by only but a prominent figure. And by all the gods she worship, yet another jinx. But perhaps, this overwhelming feeling, if induced by this sight instead, she wouldn't mind. What she expected to be something lavish, platinum and gold, and full of high-end people, were instead answered by the elegant simplicity, refreshing scent of nature, and space seemingly only for them. The gracious amount of oxygen flowing through her nose made her relax instantly, her polite stance falling just slightly. But her shoulders were quick to square up again the moment she looked at the price.

What a reality reminder-!!

The sole Type-D subtly moved her sight around her companions, seeing them seemingly composed as ever. She noted that Bilfin took a bit more time while choosing what to have, and not long then, finally stopping to a decision. The other two of her companions seemed done with ordering and Roniv was sure that she had to be quick if she doesn't want to hold up their foods.

'I guess...' she trailed in her mind, her fingers at the same time sliding the menu up and down. From one's vision, she would surely look like she was examining the descriptions of each dish, but really, she was just too fixated on the prices next to the names. Perhaps this would be the best time to enjoy the side of the world she never had the chance to, and besides, if she were to choose a cheap dish, she would just be that normie within the circle of nerds. NOOOO, she wouldn't want THAT!

Roniv then felt a glance at her from her side, the place where Ilana sat. Perhaps if she were to take an inspection, she could notice the awkwardness held by the female Type-B's gaze, but she did not and she registered it that the glance was to make a point that Roniv should hurry up. Augghh, prices be damned! Just pick whatever to get the wheel rolling!

Adding three dishes along with one beverage on her side to the cart, she pressed the button to send all of their orders to the kitchen. Truthfully, she wasn't able to properly discern what she ordered, and perhaps it would be best to stop looking at the menus altogether. Whatever she received, she would just eat them all--she wasn't picky after all.

Now that the dilemma of deciding on what to order was gone, Roniv could and should focus on other things. And her long ears twitched, catching the voice beside her.

"I take it you'll be attending the President's celebration?", Ilana inquired to Kaplan.

Tag/s: Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 || FabulousTrash FabulousTrash || Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3
_002​

E49Mr1bVIAIW2cK.jpg
Hana

"PFf.. pHuHUhU... bwahAHAHaha--!!!"

"ThIs feATHERD fReak Is rEAlLY InteREstiNg, HuH--

waNting tO HIDe in An ALLEYwAy aLOne WItH You juSt likE thaT--

tHE AUdacitY Of thOsE bOUnd BY mORtALiTy--

tRuLy, she Will bE a wORThy MeAl--"

That same damned voice echoed in the back of her head, of the Lævateinn for which her Regalia is named. As it cackled and wheezed at the prospect of the little bird offering herself like a little lamb to a wolf-- Mei remained unphased, even though she too was intrigued by the gall of the little kid in front of her. She had indicated to her full well that she knew who she was, not just by her moniker, but by her own name-- which is something that hardly gets out... unless she's been sloppy lately. She had demonstrated to her that she's fearless and that the threat of death doesn't necessarily work on her-- even though, she still believed that she could easily crush her to dust once she's gotten what she needed out of her-- just as the vengeful sword spirit expected--

But then there was the issue of the little squirt besides her-- he looked so young and naïve, full of life and happiness-- similar to how she was with her own parents, as limited that time was. It was that fateful, dreaded, day that was ingrained into her memory-- of the tears and blood that ran down her cheeks. The horror and emptiness she felt, the soul-crushing guilt of surviving, the confusion as to why the beasts that claimed her parents lives left her alone-- was it on purpose? Was it just full? Even if she were told the answer then, her cries and shrieks drowned out any attempt to console her then and there. Even if she were to lure the feathery girl alone-- as much as she wanted to dispose of her, as long as her partner was involved, she didn't just want to claim her life there in front of a child's eyes and to continue perpetuating the spawn of beasts like her.

Yet-- upon resolving not to eviscerate the young lass as soon as their little alone talk was done and over with, much to the dismay and chastising of the spirit of the sword, what she heard next was surprising:

"You also need to tell me how you know about me! I've never seen you in any of Her secret rallies! Everyone's sworn to secrecy!" the little child whined.

"I don't know if I should be working with someone who likes to keep secrets too--" the towering Red Terror jutted into their little aside. "You should have full faith in your partners, no? That's why you work with them. The only good any subterfuge has is to delay and deceive, beyond that-- it just frays hairs and complicates things." the red haired swordsman raised her arms behind her back, shifting off to the side-- clearly ignoring the little girl's demand to "get down to business," somewhere else before she addresses her own personal issues. Besides-- if she refuses to acquiesce to a little bit of transparency, the guilt of killing her later will wash away a lot faster.

V a e t r i x
009.jpg
INTERACTING WITH:

As the young type-d whimpered and squirmed in the grip of the Red Terror, a voice cut through the crowd -- a childlike female voice, but projected outward with the dominance and surety of one who is used to being obeyed:

"CEDRIX DRIXTON!" she declared and the crowd swayed in unison, their attention drawn to the source. ”Drag your butt over here. It is about to start.”

“This is precisely the kind of attention I wish to avoid,” Vaetrix hissed in a low tone and turned as she prepared to walk away. Whether they followed or not was no longer of any concern to her. She could find the damned chef, then find Hana. Or lead him to Hana. Either way, she had her mission and further discourse was not only inefficient, but could potentially jeopardize the mission itself…

But the type-d’s voice halted her momentarily:

"'Squirt' it is! And if we want to find a chef in here we should go as fast as we can, right?" The boy said with a forced chuckle. Good, so he had some sense after all. However: "You also need to tell me how you know about me!" He quickly added. "I've never seen you in any of Her secret rallies! Everyone's sworn to secrecy!"

Vaetrix’s blank expression said enough. Boy in goofy outfit wants to know how I figured out he’s part of the Goofy Outfit Gang? She slowly shook her head and regained her composure. ”We’re neighbors,” she said, as if that explained everything.

To be honest, she lived a few blocks from the Providential’s hive. Not quite ‘neighbors’ but close enough that she had seen him and others like him around enough to take an interest. As she had said earlier, she didn’t know his name --until someone shouted it out a moment ago-- but she knew who he represents.

"I don't know if I should be working with someone who likes to keep secrets too," Hana said. "You should have full faith in your partners, no? That's why you work with them. The only good any subterfuge has is to delay and deceive, beyond that-- it just frays hairs and complicates things."

“I could say the same of wanton violence. It complicates things,” Vaetrix said, resting her hands on her hips. “Knowledge is power, Hana. What you call secrecy and subterfuge is merely my refusal to relinquish my power to you, in much the same way you have not --and, arguably, cannot-- relinquish yours. Because of that power dynamic, we will never have full faith in one another, nor is such a thing required for the mission. The only faith you need is faith in my ability to find your chef. And all I need is faith that you will keep your darker impulses in check along the way.”

She abruptly thrust our her hand and awaited Hana’s grip. ”Vaetrix Solais,” she said at last. “Hacker, information broker, former soldier, and concerned citizen of District Zero. I have observed you through security cameras, read about you in police reports, and even --in rare moments when my morbid curiosity got the better of me-- gazed upon you with my own eyes, from a safe distance, possibly through the scope of a rifle." She lightly cleared her throat. "But now that we are standing face-to-face, I must say… I figured you’d be… taller?”

Last edited:
Nora Venturi
By a Shabby Restaurant, Gael
Interactions: Mqueserasera Mqueserasera

As the dark haired woman’s air changed from dejected to neutral, Nora couldn’t help but stop in surprise. Wasn’t she upset? The curly-haired woman had already started to distance herself from the victim, expecting her to go fly off the handle. Most people took apologizes as admissions of guilt, though Nora had just felt bad for the woman in front of her. Sneaking out of work to take a smoke, just to almost get hit by a car, how unlucky.

“Disagreement? Are you ripped off or something?”

But hearing the woman’s question, Nora couldn’t help but assume that she wasn’t being blamed for the accident. “Almost,” she answered. “But I was lucky enough to notice.”

Maybe paying anything in the end counted as getting scammed, but she had chosen to, so she wasn’t going to count it. Besides, explaining her situation to the woman would be more trouble than it was worth, and she probably needed to get back to work anyways.

“Come, I’ll give you a ride.”

Nora’s eyebrows shot upward when she heard the woman. “Don’t you need to go back to work?” she asked. Hearing the woman’s response, she couldn’t help but pause. She didn’t want to give anyone an opportunity to attempt to kidnap her, or anything of the sort. Offering to help someone out of the blue like that, Nora couldn’t help but find it a little suspicious.

Nevertheless, the tourist decided to follow her, just in case she was genuine. Nora trusted her ability to take care of herself when she was armed. “Thanks for the offer, but I’ll be fine. What’s the chance that it’ll happen twice in a row? I’m ready for it anyways.” she said quickly, carefully watching the woman as she began to make her escape.

Yet seeing the well-dressed woman walk over to a police car parked across the road, Nora couldn’t help but pause. Had her assumption about the woman been wrong?

Still, the officer couldn’t just leave her post like that. Not when there was clearly something wrong. Nora’s eyes flicked over to the hotel and she stared at the officer interrogating the staff within. She had no intention of interrupting whatever investigation they were in the middle of, and she would make that clear. “Hey, I didn’t mean to distract you from your case. I’ll be fine,” she said, only for a loud revving sound to drown out her words.

“Inspector Jane? What’re you doing here?”

But, again, Nora’s expectations where shattered as the man inside poked his head out, clearly surprised to see the woman who’d been helping her. Given her ranking, it was hard to believe that she was doing this just because it was a nice thing to do. Am I about to get arrested?

“What for? My subordinate was the one who found the body and called you here. But anyway, that girl just got scammed. Check your car’s cam for that cab just now then call the guy in. But before that, give us a ride home.“

Nora paused by as she heard Jane order the officer to give them a ride home, unsure of how to react. Now she was the one doing her best not to reveal her emotions, and while she wasn’t as good as the high-ranking officer, she wasn’t as upset either. So while she didn’t frown, her brow did furrow slightly as she considered her choices.

On one hand, it seemed like they had their hands full with a murder or a suicide, and Nora didn’t want to interrupt the myriad of duties they had to fulfill. On the other, the woman had been kind enough ask her subordinate to give her a ride home, and though Nora was questioning her motives, she had no intention of embarrassing the woman. In the end, she gave in, curious as to what the Inspector could possibly want from her. Besides, if the woman did want to arrest her, then refusing the ride wasn’t going to save her.

“Thank you,” she said, stepping into the car and shuffling her way down to the seat at the opposite side, in case Jane decided to sit in the back. Most people liked riding shotgun more, but after getting all her previous assumptions wrong, Nora was about done making guesses about the woman in front of her.

“So, where are you heading?”

“I was going to Payne Hotel, Nora said. She dropped her backpack in the corner and rolled her shoulders. After a short pause, she added, I’m traveling from Ixia because of the President’s birthday.”

As she settled in, Nora crossed her arms and legs before leaning back in the seat, as if she wasn’t on guard and maybe, just a little, excited by what was to come. Seeing as how the car had already started to move, she had ruled out the possibility for getting arrested.

“Is there anything I can help you with?” she asked with a smile. It would be all too easy to backtrack if she was wrong—golden eyes flickered down to the slight budge in the front of the duffel bag where there was a pack of cigarettes*—but she couldn’t help but feel certain that she wasn’t, though she doubted that the Inspector would admit it.
——
* Feel free to add that Nora looked at the ash tray / Jane’s cigarette if you want. ^-^

Last edited:

THE RED TERROR
"impromptu" hana theme 1

HANA
The half-bred swordswoman looked down at the vertically challenged type C,

Youngsters these days, they're getting quippier and smarter by the generation, she thought to herself as she couldn't help but admire the professionalism and no-nonsense approach she took with her. Indicating that she fully well knows who she is, and served out on a silver plate what her skills she dabbled in-- For someone like Hana-- she wasn't really "in" with all the new fandangle technological advances. She knew the value they had-- but operating a simple computer? She would rather slice it to pieces than try to figure out how to work out the machinations behind any picture-screen. Yet, she was well adept to know that such hesitation and ignorance can be exploited, as in a world with instant transmissions, instant results, and instant consequences-- information is vital.

Yet, she couldn't help but feel a bit irked in knowing that someone had pulled the strings to find out who she was, personally. This little child spoke as if they were colleagues, peers even. As if she should know who the little rascal was. Especially when they have the power of holding holding her own personal details over her head. Although-- what could a child do with the information that the Red Terror decided to swing in town? She did appear to be quite the convincing cosplayer-- and she could just play it off as her simply crying wolf. Although-- she was the actual wolf worth crying over-- and she did just throw away any chance of remaining under the radar after quitting her previous job. She did have her personal identification and the temporary card that allowed her to travel to Gael-- but that was under her own name-- and acquired using a bit of disguise work herself.

And the leaps and bounds that this girl took to find and glean any information about her-- "through security cameras, police reports, and even from the scope of a rifle--"

Damn. Kids these days must be living good back home to be able to afford their own weaponry. Or perhaps she just fell from grace as some affluent guy's kid and got dumped on the street--

Either way she was slightly impressed with "Vaetrix Solais," although-- Hana doubted that was the individual's actual name. If it was though-- where and when would she put it on her wall back home? She hasn't had a lot of experience working together with others-- and if she did, she was usually the one taking charge-- or at least, appearing to anyway. Should she create a section for "future victims?" Or maybe she should just forget about it entirely, until the time comes to actually put pen to paper? Normally, for Hana-- taking down someone else's name meant that she would eventually have to dispatch them-- and she would remember them, and try to ensure their death at her hands wouldn't be in vain down the road. Otherwise-- she doesn't really associate names with faces-- or well, has gotten used to not too. After all, being seen as a vicious serial killer doesn't really help well with being a social butterfly.

"I'm sure you'll catch up to me later down the road in life-- as long as you sleep well and drink cups of milk-- or at least, that's what I've heard anyway. Besides-- you should least try to smile a bit more-- furrowing your brow at me like that causes wrinkles-- but I think you're a bit too young to develop those though..." Hana then took the other kid she was holding onto with her right hand the entire time, and sat him upon her shoulders for a piggy-back ride. "Seems like we gotta play follow-the-leader for now, squirt--" the swordswoman flashed a goofy smile, as she began to walk after the hacker in hopes of getting more information. She reciprocated the handshake that was offered, and gestured for her to lead the way.

AnonyMouse AnonyMouse StaidFoal StaidFoal

V a e t r i x
014.jpg
INTERACTING WITH:

"I'm sure you'll catch up to me later down the road in life-- as long as you sleep well and drink cups of milk-- or at least, that's what I've heard anyway,” Hana said. “Besides-- you should least try to smile a bit more-- furrowing your brow at me like that causes wrinkles-- but I think you're a bit too young to develop those though..."

“Right. Noted,” Vaetrix said with a small nod before she began to walk away. The Red Terror was the last person in the world she wanted to take life advice from, especially since this verified psychopath still seemed to be under the impression she was a child. Vaetrix had half a mind to correct her and give a more personal introduction --one that didn't sound like a resume-- but, frankly, she was too mentally preoccupied with other things right now...

"Seems like we gotta play follow-the-leader for now, squirt," Hana said as she placed the boy on the ground and began to follow.

”I believe his name is ‘Cedrix,’” Vaetrix commented, despite playing into the derogatory moniker mere moments ago. “But if he prefers ‘Squirt,’ who am I to judge? Come, this won’t take long,” she added as she strode down the street, looking very sure of herself, despite her small stature.

The entire time this conversation had been going on, Vaetrix was reaching out with her mind, activating her regalia, linking with any tech willing to accept her… and even a few which were unwilling. She had done this enough times that most mundane items bent to her will easily: the smartphones in the pockets of each person who passed by; a laptop in a businessman’s briefcase; security cameras perched on the ledges of buildings. These things were easy to invade and coax data from. So easy, she barely looked like she was doing anything at all.

One interesting thing which became immediately apparent was thelack of technology on her two partners. Both Hana and Cedrix were like a dead zone. No IP pings. No familiar streams of data seeping into or out of their bodies like capillaries leading to a beating heart. Disconnected. Adrift. Islands in this walled sea.

Hmmm… she’s even more of a simpleton than I imagined, Vaetrix thought as she began to slow in front of a coffee shop with her two ‘friends’ in tow. The boy's lack of technology was to be expected. Communication devices are an unnecessary contrivance, possibly even forbidden by his religion. But she sometimes entertained a theory that the so-called 'Red Terror' was someone's watchdog or hitwoman, not a mindless murder-machine. Although Vaetrix had observed this creature's handiwork many times, she still had no idea what made Hana tick, though District Zero was rife with rumors and speculation.

To further the act, Vaetrix pulled out her phone as well as the flyer Hana had given her. She snapped a pic and sent it to an address which was merely a string of random numbers. This was entirely unecessary, of course. Her mind spoke to tech directly; she didn't need to take a picture or send anything because she had already seen it with her eyes, and broadcast it with her mind. But 'they' didn't need to know that. To them, she was just a hacker.

“Under normal circumstances, this is where we would part ways. I would do some proper detective work, and get back to you with results,” Vaetrix said, meeting Hana’s inquiring gaze. “But I said 24 hours. To save time, my people will search for him, and get back to me soon.”

She neglected to mention that ‘her people’ were not flesh and blood. Every device she had touched would ask another device. ‘Have you seen this man?’ ‘Where is he now?’ And that one would ask another. And another. The tendrils were out and spreading at an exponential rate. They might find him in ten minutes. They might find him in ten years. They might never find him at all, but that seemed unlikely. If he showed his face in this city, he would be found. And, based on the way that man looked, Vaetrix got the impression he liked to show his face a lot. He reeked of undeserved fame and an obsession with being seen. The human desire to be witnessed by others was something Vaetrix never understood and, at times, even loathed... although it made her job so damn easy sometimes. In her opinion, loneliness is the key to happiness. Peace and solitude go hand in hand.

In the meantime… “Coffee?” she said, resting her hands on her hips.

Last edited:
Corporate Lunch Conclusion
Written with: FabulousTrash FabulousTrash

QXEDBUx.jpg

S. Kaplan
Sky Garden, Gael

PGhJR2B.jpg

R. Ilana
Sky Garden, Gael
Interacted: FabulousTrash FabulousTrash
Mentioned: Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 Meryl_ya Meryl_ya
"Indeed. My latest endorsements to the President's cause beckoned Tritical's wholehearted presence beside him. As does the Firm, I reckon?" he replied, taking a sip out of his glass of wine.

Roseya nodded, looking out the window of the tower, observing the overlook of the nearby buildings.
“The President is very curious regarding our next project. I’m assuming he’ll ask me for early info regarding it.”

Her eyes wandered aimlessly around the room, observing the other decorations that the restaurant had to offer. Eventually, they found their way to Ronnivier. Roseya had a poor habit of staring at something when she was deeply analyzing, picking at every detail. All Rose knew about Ronnivier was that she was an operative of Valkyrion, just like Kaplan and Bilfin. As if reading her mind, Kaplan spoke up, formally introducing the two.

"Ms. Ronnivier, Director Ilana. Miss Ronnivier here is a Field Technical Advisor, among the latest additions to our cause at Tritical. I have a feeling that we will all get along one way or another soon enough." Kaplan said, introducing the two to one another. A necessary measure of preface, as he deemed it best.

For a luxurious restaurant, the staff were attentive to the most minute of details. In an age of mechanized reliance and prolific manatech innovations, the Garden was attended by eloquence and elegance of sentient hands and minds. Before long, the food that the four had ordered were laid out upon the table. Elegant hands guided the platters accordingly, while maintaining a certain synchronized form as the waiters went about it. Scrumptious aroma circulated, as they somehow managed to maintain their distinct taste thanks to the complementary Iscarian cabernets. Kaplan’s hands unfurled, as his eyes skipped across his associates, nonverbally insisting them to partake in their lunch. The main course of this meal, however, was neither the fancy cuisine nor the astounding view from the Sky Garden. Kaplan knew Ilana’s answer, even if he did not ask. He does not indulge redundancy where he ought not to. Surely, she was expected by the President as much as he was, if not more. The Sky Garden offered the perfect excuse for Kaplan to finally be unchained by the shackles of his office. More importantly, it was a neutral ground that would not be impeded by Tritical’s bureaucracy. After all, Kaplan was most considerate with his guests - particularly one that had earned his trust.

Roseya worked at her sushi in silence until around half of it was gone. Setting her utensils down, she reached into her jacket pocket, pulling out her phone.

“Before I forget, these are the updated schematics for the upcoming release of the new environmental climate control units for ARK.”

She tapped a few buttons, sending the data to Kaplan’s personal device, putting her own away and resumed her meal. Recently, a joint project between Tritical and Valkyrion was commissioned to create updated control units to replace the soon-to-be outdated models. Though the firm could’ve done it all on their own, the materials that the project called for were specialized military-grade. Tritical were responsible for creating the housings and designing the installation hardware while Valkyrion developed all the internals and software. If everything worked as intended, the new units would last a lot longer than their predecessors. But there was still a good portion of work to be done before they could be put into production.

Kaplan acknowledged Rose’s words, as he briefly scanned the contents.

“Last we met, there were some complications regarding the incompatible conduits. I see. By augmenting the circuits with composite pairings and relocating the coolant compartment, you were able to bypass the flow-negations. A brilliant and resourceful idea, I must say.” Kaplan picked up on the subject, stroking his chin with a fascinated expression while reviewing the prints.

“I’ve taken the liberty of adjusting the frame’s design to provide an ergonomic locking procedure. I've also personally examined them with Mr. Bilfin two days ago. If all goes smoothly, we can expect upgrade procedures to be well underway by the 30th of this month. As usual, Tritical will handle the transportation and warehousing for both the trial periods and the upgrading process.” Kaplan added, sending a transcript of Tritical’s latest update on the housing unit.

Their meals progressed, as Kaplan and Rose intricately picked up on their last conversation, the very missing piece of the puzzle that brought them here. There, they brushed off with verbose nouns and distinctive callsigns that are foreign to the unfamiliar ears. Surely, if it was one notion that Kaplan was able to entertain, it would be his attentive ears and direct response.

“So where will you be staying in Gael?” Kaplan shifted the subject as their lunch was grinding down to an end.

Roseya finished the last of her meal, eating the last piece of her sushi before neatly placing the chopsticks to the side together. She reached up to her mouth with a napkin, wiping her lips off before replying.
“Well, I need to stop by Valkyrion’s Gael branch, but I was originally planning on just going back home to Aria. The drive isn’t so long, so I should be home by nighttime.”

“As much as I appreciate your diligence, there comes a time when even the vigilant must learn to take respite. May I suggest that you stay with us at Iris Point? It would be unbecoming of me to not be able to accommodate the Director of the Firm. Besides, Mira is dying to see you.” Kaplan offered Roseya to stay over. Surely, it was the least he could do for her to come all this way from Aria. Other than business talks, Kaplan was looking for an excuse to get Roseya to lay back and find leisure. Little did he know, the Chairman was letting his paternal instincts and concerns take the helm.

Roseya paused for a moment, tossing the idea around in her mind. Though, the prospect of seeing Kaplan’s daughter tipped the balance enough. She nodded, accepting his offer.

“I shouldn’t be long at the Gael branch, just need to pick something up.”

“It’s settled then.” Kaplan nodded.

At the expense of the unsparing Chairman, he made sure the bill was personally handled by him. Kaplan pondered the various endeavors he should tread to properly facilitate Roseya's stay in Gael. An independent apartment may prove prudent when privacy is concerned. Should it arises, Riel would simply see to Roseya's needs. With Bilfin on given leave with his son in the following days, there was the particular curiosity that arose for Roniv's disposition. For now, he would have to see how this lady handled herself before delegating her a task that demanded her full attention. Despite his stern visage, Kaplan had his lenient designs over his employees. Back at his office, he spent the rest of the day being tailed by his secretary and reviewing the blueprints that Roseya had sent to him over lunch. A father hard at work, to see the future of Gael's children.

THE RED TERROR
"impromptu" hana theme 1

HANA
As the child-hacker worked her magic in front of Hana's very own eyes, the sanguine spirit locked away in the sword she clutched in her hands tensed up a bit. The myriads of eyes that decorated the flat part of the blade leered at Vaetrix as she used her own Regalia to search out for any form of technological marvels that a certain other midget might find valuable lifting out of the redhead's pockets.

While the demon inside did not understand technology-- it did seem to form its own working hypothesis as to how this specific Regalia interacted with the surrounding mana. Through its own eyes, it saw Vaetrix send out sparks of Veracite-activated mana to ping for other electronic devices as a burst of sparkling energy, quickly traveling from one person to the next in quick-fire, rapid succession. It was something that could easily evade the human eye, but-- for a parasitic being like itself, with all the time in the world to brood in its lonesome, when you see something new-- you'd be drawn by it, your curiosity piqued, until you understood it well enough to be bored by it again.

Although-- while it accumulated this knowledge, was it really going to share it with its host? Their working relationship definitely on the give-and-take end of the spectrum. Hana would give all of her autonomy up when it came to anything emotional-- whether it came to eating, feeling, living, being-- all of it was fair game for this spirit to take. In return-- well, it can be surmised that the spirit allowed Hana to "borrow" its strength by pumping what was basically extreme performance-enhancing adrenalin into her veins so that she can provide it a proper offering to continue living. Of course-- as with all organisms that require a host to sustain itself-- it wasn't exactly going to let Hana die off too easily either.

The Leviathan just got its freedom a mere decade ago-- it wasn't exactly in the mood to wait for a few more centuries to sit around and wait for another unfortunate soul to become possessed by it. But-- with the combative relationship the two of them currently have-- and with it knowing that Hana is actively trying to be rid of it rather than just work with it-- something that it can never understand. Seriously-- why must humanoids be so attached to "freedom" when it was offering the little girl enormous power at the cost of a few measly lives? All beings that live and breathe also die and return to dust at some point at time. Being able to decide when and where should be considered a service in its eyes. For the uncertainty of living and the burning query as to what a person can or should do with an unknown amount of time is a burden too great for some.

Some may squander the precious grains afforded to them listlessly wondering and worrying, perpetually indulging in their sloth and lashing out at those who seem to be able to get their act together faster than they can. Although in truth, those they hold disdain for probably are just faking it as much as possible. Others may work their entire lives to build up a future that they themselves may never enjoy-- content to selflessly serve for the greater good and to hold the hands to shelter and coddle their descendants so that they may not have to struggle as they have-- only to fall into the aforementioned scenario.

But-- what really caught the eye of the sealed spirit-- was a little girl, who had the burden of living and existing forced upon them-- someone who was expected not to live and see the light of day at all-- yet, even in that despairing lab, experimented on and toyed with to no end-- they didn't need any instructions or guidance as to what they wanted to do. They wanted so desperately to survive so that they may have a shot at doing something with their lives, determined to shine as brilliantly as they can. So much so that they were able to push their pathetic, tattered, malnourished body to lift up the heavy great-sword that was formed by the being surgically implanted within her.

It was at that moment that it saw Hana as someone worth watching-- a tragic tale worth reading as to find out how it will all end. It may take some time for her to enter into her prime, although the debauched slaughters she's committed and how she was trying to atone for it in her own way was somewhat amusing-- but not at the level of worthy entertainment. But-- the specter isn't exactly in a rush, after all-- it was only the opening act. For now though-- all it has to do is to wait and see.

. . .

Oblivious to the machinations working behind the scenes both with the vertically challenged woman whom she referred to as a "kid," and the fleshy sadistic sword spirit that she has grown to abhor-- Hana acquiesced to the offer of talking things over a cup of coffee. Not that she knows what it's like to drink coffee, mind you-- it's no different that having a cup of water to her. But even then, she couldn't even give any descriptors other than being "bland, liquid, and drinkable."

Although-- as she was contemplating what to have at a coffee shop, especially for someone who definitely doesn't know how to order food, she felt a sudden wave of fatigue wash over her, It was most certainly coming from the sword racking its head around what the kid just did taking a photo of the flyer she just handed her, but Hana had thought it had also came from the whiplash of trying to simply joke around with them. It was something that inconvenienced her often, but if she were to vocalize such a problem-- it would probably marked off as some form of sociopathic, anti-social behavior. To blame her emotional problems on some phantasmal spirit who always kept her flat-line would be near insanity.

Yet-- the only time that she has ever felt truly "alive" was when she had the backing of her fleshy, dead-beat benefactor. Whenever she had manifested the E.G.O. hidden away, she felt as if all the cards were in her hands-- yet she had only ever used such a power to survive by drawing the blood of others. Yet as much as she hated what she did, she couldn't say that she didn't enjoy it. But-- if she forced herself to survive only to become the monster that mad scientist envisioned her to be, in her mind-- the best thing to do was to starve herself to death and perish. Yet-- she didn't have the courage to do that-- nor does she have any catalyst to spark *any* change within her. She's just drifting around, chasing easy-fixes for her problem, avoiding talking about it, running away from it at every corner.

Yet-- when reminiscing of the topic of her countless bloody shows of power-- she realized something on their way to their destined coffee shop--

"...When did you start watching those videos of me, kid? Those aren't exactly things made for children's eyes. Shouldn't you be more into cartoons and picture-shows instead of re-watching unsolved crime dramas?" Hana quirked her eyebrows as a worried expression formed upon her face. If this kid was somewhere around 15 years of age, that means if she started from the very beginning of The Six Years of Terror, then Vaetrix would have had to started watching those police tapes at a very young age.

Of course-- that was what was running through Hana's mind-- forgetting in the heat of the moment that Vaetrix could-- start watching all the archived tapes all together at an older age. Or perhaps, Vaetrix wasn't as young as Hana originally thought. She had already ignored the hints about the kid's brash, no-nonsense attitude, brushing it off as mere youthful tendencies. Even though she was very much still youthful herself, she didn't consider herself as impulsive and bratty as children like Vaetrix could be. Truly, such is the work of comedic irony.

AnonyMouse AnonyMouse StaidFoal StaidFoal

V a e t r i x
014.jpg
INTERACTING WITH:

"...When did you start watching those videos of me, kid? Those aren't exactly things made for children's eyes,” Hana said as they entered the coffee shop.

Vaetrix actually had to glance back to be sure the woman was speaking to her. Yup, she’s talking to me. I’m still ‘the kid,’ she thought, and her rigid, militaristic posture appeared to visibly sag ever-so-slightly as she came to the conclusion that this misconception wasn’t going to change on its own.

At this point, it didn’t even bother her anymore. If anything, she took it as a compliment. ‘You take good care of yourself.’ ‘You don’t look your age.’ ‘You have great skin.’ Etcetera, etcetera. If she actually gave a damn about that stuff, she’d be flattered.

But, she doesn’t. So, she isn’t.

“A few years, I think,” Vae said dryly as she approached the small line leading to the counter. She coffee shop wasn’t exactly packed, especially not when compared to most of the businesses along this street. There were tables available, but Vaetrix wasn’t keen on sticking around long. She really didn’t need or want coffee, but figured it was something nice to do for her two new… ummm… friends? Acquaintances? Future partners in crime?

This is what humans do, right? They procure sustenance for one another, as a sign of kinship?

“Shouldn't you be more into cartoons and picture-shows instead of re-watching unsolved crime dramas?"

Picture-shows? Vaetrix thought, her eyebrow quirking up just a little. Who says that? Okay, so I’m the kid and she’s the old lady. Got it. Time is funny today.

With a small sigh, she turned to Hana. “I’ve seen worse, but your concern is appreciated,” she said, despite not sounding appreciative at all. Vaetrix rarely looked or sounded the way she felt… and often didn’t feel much at all. She had learned to adopt the cold logic of the machines she communicated with. Things were simpler that way. Eliminate human error.

“Anyway, what did you mean earlier when you said finding this man is a matter of life and death?” she asked as the line chugged a little closer to the counter. “I stand behind my promise that I can find him within twenty-four hours, but establishing contact and getting whatever it is you seek from him is another matter entirely. That carries risk. Risk demands planning and care. These things take time.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back