• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Primacy [Closed]

Lore
Here
Other
Here
Tamsin was unharmed. Varick was grateful for that as he was able to examine the room. Dravon hadn’t fled yet, which wasn’t surprising. He was likely staying to make sure Varick lived and the nue didn’t, but he also wasn’t interjecting about what Tamsin was. Not unexpected – mages and their secrets was nothing new.

When Tamsin asked if he was hurt, he looked at his very bloody arm that definitely needed treatment, shrugged, lied, “No,” because it was obvious he was hurt, but he wasn’t crying about it, and he could forgo treatment until they got back to the camp. Probably. He didn’t think nue were poisonous.

Of course, there were other things out there.

Like Dravon, who had turned back to his mirror and brought up the image of a woman with red hair. She seemed familiar to him, but he’d crossed paths with plenty of mages in his time. Did he know what Dravon was now? Did he think Dravon would say anything?

Something – yes.

“You said you and Tamsin are on the same side. She’s just a bard. She’s not involved in anything,” Dravon looked away from the mirror, the image rippling to blur it, “Explain that much, and maybe I’ll forget you’re clinging to undeath.” No, he wouldn’t – but he’d let it be someone else’s problem.

For now.

Dravon seemed to consider the request, glancing to Tamsin a moment with a look of pure pity, before to Varick. His gaze didn’t linger on Varick, but went back to Tamsin. He stepped from the mirror and approached the buckled woman, kneeling before her. “A secret for you, then,” he said, and he whispered, too low for Varick to even pick up with his hearing -- but of course, that was magic, “You will be able to reshape the world, Tamsin. You will be able to make this world a haven for magic, for Primals, for all those things which others feel do not belong in it, if you choose.”

And his smile was gentle. Earnest. He wasn’t lying, after all, “You are a part of it, and she,” he glanced towards the mirror, rippling still, difficult to make out, “is the other half. The conduit and the battery. You are pure magic, Tamsin – the sort that does not run out, and she is every channel of magic.”

If only he’d known then how special that was. He’d known it was special, of course. He’d brought her to all the best teachers he could, but only now he realized, not even among the fae was there someone who could channel magic so effortlessly into any form.

~***~

That lingering sensation was torture.

Kirsikka tended to prefer to be the one torturing. In another life, she probably would have been the one leaving Drazhan breathless, leaving him begging – rather than being the cocky ass who knew damn well she wanted to delay a night probably more than he did. Who knew, as well, that it was her fighting it that was causing all of her problems, in some vain effort to avoid a much larger problem.

‘Would your death drive me to create the icy wastes I see in my nightmares?’

She shut her eyes against that annoying question about looking at him. Against the sensations. Against the thought of ‘just fuck and get it over with’ – as if that would solve the problem, as if it was merely being stupidly touch-starved. Oh, that was a major part of it. Put poisoned water in front of a dehydrated person, and watch the fun! Do they die of dehydration, or do they die of poison?

God, but she’d die to be held again.

“Maybe when it’s all over, Drazhan.” Why not then? Wait, what the fuck did she just say? Goddamnit, she gave him hope, didn’t she? At least she had the sense to step away, and try to find a tease in, “But there will still be no more kissing, even then!” which was a blatant lie, but you know what? The more she said it, the longer she might be able to deny it.

Or the agony of fighting it would stop it, as it tore through her. Again, like legs waking up from being asleep, the connection to fire sparked and flared as she bent to pick up the bag. The bend turned to a curling up on her heels, as flames sparked out of her fingertips, turning the red to a darker purple and black as she fought to freeze it out again.

Tamsin was glad that Varick wasn’t hurt, even if his arm told another story. There was no pain on his face, and it didn’t look like he was going to pass out from blood loss, but he would certainly need to get the arm cleaned up when they got out of there.

The look of pity from Dravon did not escape Tamsin’s notice, and her eyes watched him as he approached and knelt before her. What he said…she couldn’t comprehend. Her brows furrowed with his words.

Make this world a haven for magic, for Primals.

Her gaze flickered to Varick, then back on Dravon as he continued. To be able to create a world where Varick and others like him could live in peace…she would do that in a heartbeat. But how? “Why me?” she whispered. Why was she so special?

She was just a bard! A bard with unexplainable magic that she couldn’t control.

“I don’t even know how to control this magic. How am I supposed to do anything? And where am I even supposed to find that woman?” she asked with a nod toward the mirror, her voice sounding more frantic with every passing word. Tamsin couldn’t quite absorb everything Dravon said at once, and she was having a difficult time processing all the information.

None of it still made any sense to her.

~~~

Drazhan grinned. “I’ll take that.” He could hold onto the hope that when this was over, they would have an evening together after the long buildup. They would just have to get past the upcoming journey where certain death was inevitable if they became even the slightest bit distracted.

And then there would be one pleasurable night together, where he could take his time making Kirsikka breathless.

“No more kissing? If you say so.” That he didn’t believe one bit. Drazhan was certain even she didn’t believe that. He wouldn’t force it if she didn’t want a kiss, but really, could Kirsikka continue to deny herself what she wanted?

Drazhan frowned at her movement. The flames, the color of her fingers, all of it he noticed. He opened his mouth to ask if she was okay, before he quickly closed it. The answer to that was obvious. “What’s wrong?” he decided to ask instead, placing a hand on her shoulder. More magic shit he simply couldn’t comprehend?

Varick heard what Tamsin said, and his brows knit together as Dravon rose, apparently not going to answer those questions. No, why would he? Varick hadn’t agreed to his terms. Unfortunately, he had said something to Tamsin, so Varick had to honor his words about forgetting Dravon was even there.

An undead that could move.

A possibly very corporeal undead, of a very powerful mage.

He didn’t like the way unease settled in his gut.

The mirror blanked. “Unfortunately, you will have to discover some things on your own,” Dravon said.

“Where are you going?” Varick asked.

Dravon chuckled, “Concerned?” Of course he was, “Don’t worry, I can’t leave Mont Pellinor,” Varick was certain there was a ‘yet’ in there, but he didn’t vocalize it, “I still have things to work on, and answering all of your questions isn’t a part of my agenda. You have someone to see for all that, after all.”

Varick clenched his fists, but let it out in an irritated grunt. “Fine.” He moved towards the door. They were going to get no further help. Tamsin would get no further answers, not that Varick even knew what was said.

Whatever the case, there was no reason to stay around here.

~***~

At least Drazhan didn’t ask if she was okay. It was obvious enough that she wasn’t, and she sighed in frustration as the flames died down and Drazhan reached out to her. How did she explain this without giving his ego a boost? Or sounding insane, for that matter?

‘Too late for that.’ He knew she was insane already. The degree might have been debatable if she wasn’t literally trying to kill a possible god.

“I thought I lost my connection to fire earlier, when whatever that thing was that attacked me in Pomachion.” That drained her, really. “Apparently, it wasn’t fully gone, and now it keeps coming in bursts.” Whenever she tried to deny the underlying emotions, although she imagined it would be the same if she didn’t deny them. After all, it was still waking up, whether or not she acted on those feelings.

But Drazhan didn’t need to know that. Emotional connections was still just a theory…an increasingly valid one, at least in her case, although she didn’t believe it was that simple. The flaring had stopped, at least, and she clenched her hands into fists, digging her fingertips into her palms as if that would help quell the pain.

She was going to ignore it, in any case, and pick the bags up, stand up. “It’s not fixing my eyesight, so I really don’t care about it,” no, that was still gone in the one eye despite this going on, so it could get fucked. “And we need to get moving, we wasted enough time here.” Far too much time, but at least the flames were a convenient distraction. Now if that could just happen every time she’d be fine. Preferably before she did something stupid.

Tamsin brought her knees up to her chest and dropped her head to rest on her knees.

She didn’t want to discover these things on her own.

She didn’t want this power or this responsibility.

How was she supposed to reshape the world when she didn’t even know the power she held, or what she was exactly!

I don’t want this.

Tamsin didn’t register that Varick was moving to leave the tower. How could she focus on that right now when it seemed that her whole life had been completely turned upside down recently?

I don’t want this. I don’t want this.

She felt the unmistakable burn of tears building in her eyes, much to her displeasure. That was the last thing she needed, to cry in the midst of the tower ruins.

“I don’t want this.” Her thoughts repeated themselves, though her voice was muffled by the fabric of her clothes as her head still rested on her knees.

How was she supposed to do…any of this?

~~~

Okay, so it was more magic stuff he simply couldn’t understand. And it seemed that she didn’t understand much of why it was starting to come back either.

Drazhan couldn’t offer anything in the moment, except for the comfort of being there. If that was indeed much of a comfort for Kirsikka, which he imagined it was greater than she would ever admit to.

He allowed one hand to softly trail over her arm in a simple caress as he pulled away. Drazhan wouldn’t push the subject now, not when there was more to be learned about it, and not when Kirsikka seemed intent on moving forward.

Moving forward, which meant going back to Pomachion and continuing the journey.

“I’m sure Pomachion misses us just as much as we miss it.” And Drazhan would begin to head out of there, glad to be back on his feet with the ability to move his torso without pain. Still, some stiffness lingered, but he imagined that would disappear soon enough. “We should be able to make it further before it becomes too dark and dangerous.”

Like another golem. Or something far more sinister.

Varick noticed that Tamsin didn’t follow as he got to the stairs. He waited a few seconds, but he didn’t hear her move. He did hear her mutter something, and so he sighed, walked back in, and simply bent to pick her up.

Whatever protests she made, he disregarded as he carried her out of the tower, away from Dravon, away from the mess, and out into the chilled and heavy air. What she said was starting to click, and so he didn’t walk too far from the tower. Just far enough to step into one of the buildings that wasn’t destroyed.

None of them were.

‘Dravon. Probably.’

He didn’t know.

He just figured it was better than setting her down outside, and so he put her on the ground in the building, and then hunkered down in front of her. “Tamsin. Look at me.” He would wait, however long it took, for her to do that. “What did he tell you?” it had apparently been quite shattering, but Varick didn’t know how to help without knowing just what was said.

If he could even help then.

Not wanting something…he didn’t know how to help with that.

Someone couldn’t be what they weren’t.

It was a lesson he’d passed on to every Primal. They couldn’t go back in time and change it. They couldn’t be other than what they were. It was a shame that some failed to listen to him. So he knew, he probably couldn’t comfort Tamsin in that way.

Destiny was a bitch.

~***~

‘I hope so.’ Kirsikka was tempted to just go into the town even if it was night. What was the worst that could happen? Drazhan probably had a list he could monologue from memory about that, and she knew she wouldn’t really fight him on it, no matter how frustrating it could be.

She loaded the horses once more and took Zephyr by his reins back towards the fountain where she could form the portal. Perhaps it would have been polite to let someone know she was leaving, but she wasn’t exactly the polite sort when she was leaving.

The portal formed rapidly, though for a second, Kirsikka thought she felt someone looking through it. Looking through to her. Yet, she caught no glimpse in the waters. ‘Paranoid. The fae have things protected, that’s why you needed their mirrors to get here.’ The paranoia stuck all the same, but she said nothing, just let Drazhan go through first, before following after.

The portal closed after them.

Kirsikka’s eyes landed on Malina.

An icicle formed immediately and was hurled right at her without a single word. The action didn’t really need to be explained, after all, although perhaps she should have considered the environment, or Drazhan’s situation, a bit more first.

Tamsin didn’t notice Varick approach until she felt his arms pick her up from her spot on the floor. She began to protest, especially when she remembered that he still had an injured arm, but her words fell silent as it was obvious he wasn’t going to budge.

So she allowed him to carry her out of the tower and into another building, almost disappointed that he set her down. Tamsin still didn’t quite look at him, as she didn’t want him to see her cry.

But with his insistence that she look at him, Tamsin did eventually turn her head towards him. With his question, she remained silent a moment longer, before eventually answering, “He said that I would be able to reshape this world into a haven for those who currently do not belong.” Such as Varick. “He said that I was pure magic.”

And if she just simply had elven ancestry, she couldn’t be pure magic! By the way Dravon worded it, it sounded like she was special. Beyond ordinary ancestry. And she didn’t want that.

She just wanted to get on with her life, but apparently fate had other plans.

~~~

Malina expected nothing less from Kirsikka.

With a smirk, she easily created a wall of fire to protect herself and melt the icicle hurled her way. “Really, is that how you treat an old friend?” she asked with a pout. With a twirl of her hands, a circle of fire closed in around Kirsikka and Drazhan in a fiery prison, blocking them from going anywhere else.

Drazhan instinctively drew closer to Kirsikka and wrapped an arm around her. Of course she found them. Of course she was here, trying to prevent them from going any further.

He just hoped Kirsikka had what it took to fight Malina, and that her blocked powers wouldn’t be a hindrance.

Malina stalked forward, keeping her eyes focused on the redhead. “You won’t be going any further. Take a good look at your lover boy, because he’ll be the last person you’ll be seeing.”

Monsters.

That was the first thought for things that did not belong, although the Primal knew plenty of them belonged. He hummed at the thought of Tamsin being pure magic, although that would perhaps explain why there wasn't an elemental tinge to her magic. That was all he could really pick up for why she likely wouldn't fool a mage, besides the lack of incantations, runes, or anything else. Was it possible?

The better question was what it would gain Dravon to lie, or to tell the truth. He hadn't done it for free. There was a cost in here besides Tamsin's peace of mind.

Likely, something he wanted, and he must have wanted her to do something about this reshaping of the world. Which would benefit him as an undead, and that...wasn't good.

Was he going to have to kill Tamsin to keep the world safe?

He didn't want to consider that, but it did gnaw at the back of his mind as he stared at her tears. Would he even be able to?

"Having power, and using it, are different things. You can choose how you use it. I suggest not reshaping it," it couldn't be good, whatever it was. "But we don't know he's telling the truth." They didn't know he was lying either. "He may have reasons to lie to you, about you." What he felt was likely something, and definitely on the magical side, but that didn't mean it was exactly as he said.

He sighed, "I don't know him well. He was the oldest mage I knew before he died, and I don't know what he is now, but if he wants to reshape the world, it would benefit him -- and he's undead." Which was not a thing either of them should help too much. "He may have been a good person in life. He might even have good intentions now, but he is actively refusing to move on...and that's not good. He knows that, too."

Which was why Varick refused him aid.

And would continue to do so.

~***~

Kirsikka wasn't surprised by the way that the icicle just melted. That was fairly par for the course. What she was surprised by was that when the fire barrier rose up, she lost her sense for magic. A glance down answered that, as the ignited glyphs spoke of the barrier from which no magic could be cast.

'Bitch.' But a clever bitch, Kirsikka would give credit where credit was due. She was also going to hope that cleverness continued, in a way, because this was not how she intended to see the end.

Sure, losing her sight was a threat she'd tolerate, but she doubted Drazhan was going to be dragged along alive after the last time. There wasn't much of a reward on his head and as far as Kirsikka knew, no reason to drag him in front of anyone alive.

He wasn't aligned with the Primals any more, he wasn't a great target for stirring up animosity there.

So, Kirsikka didn't look at him. She shrugged his hold off as if it were a nuisance and took a step closer to the flames that encircled the pair of them, glaring down Malina as she stuck both hands out of the barrier.

The flames licked at her wrists from how high they rose, and started to burn away at the fabric of her sleeve, all of which she endured without an ounce of complaint.

Outside the barrier, she could feel magic at her fingertips, but she wouldn't admit to that, either.

"Bind me. Let me talk to you and leave him unharmed."

What she had to say would get a reaction out of Drazhan that would likely ruin it all, so she needed to speak to Malina away from him. She'd endure being bound. She'd endure just being pulled through the damn flames if needed, but she would be heard.

Or she'd use the magic she could tap into while she had it, but she'd see what Malina chose to do first.

No, they didn’t know if Dravon was telling the truth, but what would be the reason behind lying to Tamsin about what he told her? Was there something for him to gain with it?

Tamsin couldn’t see it, but that didn’t mean she considered the likelihood.

“But what if I could make a world accepting of Primals and elves?” To imagine Varick, and others like him, having a life where they didn’t have to worry about humans hating them. That’s what she wanted for them. “He said I could somehow do that.” With that other woman he showed her.

But then another fear flared up in her. “But what if I can’t control this magic? What if it gets out of control and I kill someone?” Could any mage truly help her since this wasn’t the usual magic they dealt in? Would she have to learn on her own?

She hoped that Varick’s friend could have more answers for her and could help her. If not, then Tamsin didn’t know what she would do.

~~~

Drazhan frowned as Kirsikka pulled away from him, and he almost grabbed her again when she stuck her hands out of the barrier.

Malina narrowed her eyes at the movement from Kirsikka, and her hands immediately readied herself to attack, but Kirsikka surprised her. She wanted the fire mage to bind her, and to not harm Drazhan.

She thought about it for a second, mainly to just let the flames lick at Kirsikka’s wrists a moment longer. “Fine.” She pulled out a set of binders and quickly snapped them around Kirsikka’s wrists before subduing the fire.

“If I even think he’s about to try to kill me, then he’s gone,” she threatened, pointing towards Drazhan. The man held up his hands in surrender, and he didn’t move from where he stood. He was confused as to what Kirsikka was up to, and he was curious to see what would happen.

“Alright, speak,” she snapped.

Varick snorted at the possibility of making Primals and Elves accepted. It was a fantasy. “You’d make something else hated in exchange. Or get rid of something entirely. Probably humans,” he noted, which of course, wasn’t something he wanted to get rid of…half of the time. Humans were frustrating, but not worth killing en masse. Maybe worth subjugating and hating, but not all of them.

No, he was sure it was just…natural for people to need enemies.

“Whatever he’s said will have a cost,” Varick was certain of that much, “which, we don’t know what it is, and odds are, you probably don’t need to concern yourself with anything like that.” Sure, she could do things. Maybe.

That didn’t mean she had to.

She could be a bard with magic, live to an old age, and die known for her music. That’d be ideal. There was nothing that really marked her as different, save that magic, which they could get under control, somehow.

“You’re not going to find any answers here,” Varick rose. “And we’re not going to get to my friend without wrapping things up before the sun rises. The what ifs won’t be answered tonight,” as frustrating as it was, it was true. He didn’t have the answers, nor did Tamsin, and if Dravon did, his cost was too high.

“Besides, if you kill someone, they probably deserve it.”

~***~

Kirsikka definitely didn’t like being bound, but she knew it was the only way Malina was going to hear her. Besides, she could get out of these…it was just tedious, and bloody, work. That wasn’t the point right now, and once she was clear of the fire, and Drazhan some distance away, she did speak.

She whispered her words, hoping Drazhan wouldn’t overhear. She continued to refuse to look at him. “I won’t bullshit you and say I’ll do anything peacefully and willingly. That’s a lie and we both know it, but,” always that, “there’s a town not far from here. Abandoned. Old, if the architecture is anything to go by. A golem protecting the area attacked us, a rather articulate and well made one. It almost seemed to be made of hardened flesh.” Old magic. Very old magic, very powerful magic.

That was why the damned mirror was there, giving everything away to Malina.

“There was a church there with the Council of Light symbol on it.” Not exactly, but close enough that even Malina would think it warranted investigation, she was certain of that. “You can’t tell me you’re not curious about that, or what a golem is protecting that relates to your faith, can you?” Kirsikka was certain she would be. Had to be, for this to work. Kirsikka would do anything to get closer to the White Sun, and quite honestly? If there was a connection to the Council of Light and it was rotten to the core, she’d die happy if she could see Malina’s reaction.

Well, no, not really. She’d never die happy until she won.

“Use a reversal spell on the mirror. Send Drazhan and the horses back, and I’ll show you where this is, and even come along that far without a fuss,” which was more than Malina would get otherwise. “That’s where I was going anyways, I have no reason to fuss.” After that, of course, she would fuss all she wanted.

Malina was the idiot thinking she could drag Kirsikka across the continent, after all, alone. Malina had to sleep sometime.

Tamsin frowned, not quite believing what Varick said. A world where Primals and Elves and anyone else nonhuman could find a peaceful home, she just knew it! But until she got more answers, it was some far-off fantasy for now.

Maybe such a world did have a cost; a cost that Tamsin couldn’t even fathom right then.

Stupid wizard for putting stupid thoughts into her head.

They did need to get going to finish the mission before sunrise, or else they would be stuck there another night. Another night not traveling to Varick’s friend to actually find some answers that Dravon was only cryptic about.

She stood up, a fresh wave of tears threatening to escape. “But what if I accidentally kill someone innocent?” Tamsin couldn’t quite get her mind off of that possibility. Of her losing control of her powers and striking some innocent bystander. “We both know I have no idea what I’m doing. What if I lose control and hit an innocent person?”

And no matter what cynicism Varick held for humanity, Tamsin just simply didn’t think that way.

~~~

Malina’s glower didn’t once waver when Kirsikka spoke, but she did let the woman speak without interrupting her or scoffing at her. And she hated to admit, but Malina was a little bit curious about the old ruins, and what could be there.

She wouldn’t dare admit that outloud.

But unfortunately for Kirsikka, Drazhan did hear her with his Primal hearing. “Wait, Kirsikka-” he began, but he was interrupted by Malina, who did just what Kirsikka wanted her to. She used a reversal spell on the mirror they just came through, and with a flick of her wrist, Drazhan and the horses were sent back through it and to the elven lands once again.

The mirror went still before Drazhan could think to climb back through the portal.

“Of course if it turns out you’re just wasting my time,” she gripped Kirsikka’s jaw tightly with one hand, “then I’ll make sure you get a good view of his agonizing death before yours follows.”

Tamsin rose, and began to walk with him again, although her fears weren’t quelled. Not entirely. Varick supposed that wasn’t a surprise, but he still sighed, “Tamsin, so far your power has manifested with your will. You wanted to protect yourself, a barrier forms. You want to help me, and well – you stopped the nue from attacking me,” sure, that one could have been better, but nonetheless, it proved his point.

She wasn’t likely to kill someone innocent.

“Your power isn’t exploding out of you in unrestrained novas of destruction,” it was always pointed, and it was always clear, even if she couldn’t figure out how to specify it just yet. He couldn’t teach that, either. “That doesn’t typically happen, even with mages.” Of course, as the gates of the fortress approached, he did have to reconsider the irony of saying it there.

Then again, was that really unrestrained?

The fortress was unharmed. It was very clearly pointed in the direction of the enemy.

It was discriminate destruction.

Perhaps that was actually the scariest part of it to everyone who heard the tale, and was on the opposite side, aware the Boreal Wind was out there, somewhere.

He heard some rustling near the gates, paused, and then turned towards it, walked towards the guard tower, and found Pate. “A-ah! Well! Did you find who you’re looking for?”

Varick grabbed Pate’s arm roughly, “No. And you knew we wouldn’t.”

“Ouch! No I did—there was a wraith there, right?”

Varick glared.

“Where. Are. They?”

~***~

Drazhan’s outcry was painful, but it was better that he live. So the sudden shutdown of it, the sudden silence, was welcome. Drazhan would be fine, at least for now. No doubt he would do something stupid. Ideally, he would finally decide Kirsikka was too much trouble and leave her the fuck alone, but Kirsikka had the sinking suspicion he really was a bit too stupid to do that.

Loyal was probably the kinder word for that, but she still didn’t think she’d given him any reason to be loyal.

She was a monster. A greater one than the bitch who grabbed her jaw and tried to intimidate her with threats to Drazhan’s life and her own. ‘Ah yes. How well did that work out for the General at Mont Pellinor?’ A question she would not ask, because as much fun as it was to piss off Malina, she was tired of getting hit by her already…and she hadn’t even been hit by her yet.

Maybe she was just tired.

“When have I ever wasted your time?” that wasn’t a much better question. She had wasted Malina’s time plenty, especially in the academy days. In either case, she turned her head and pulled her jaw free, moving it a bit since she couldn’t rub it. Well, the grip had hurt. A bit. “Walking we might not make it before nightfall, but I’m sure it doesn't concern a denizen of the light, right?”

She hoped it fucked Malina over.

She really did.

She didn’t want to have to spend a night camping with just Malina. It was better when she had soldiers.

Last edited:
Varick had a point. Her magic manifested itself, though in ways she didn’t quite want, when she needed help. When she wanted to help. It didn’t outright burst from her at inconvenient times when she was just simply walking down the road, or giving a performance.

Still, the what ifs lingered in her mind. What if there was that first time her magic unleashed itself when she didn’t want to? And in a form that destroyed instead of helped?

They still knew next to nothing about her magic, and it seemed that every day, she learned something new about it.

She didn’t make any further comment on her magic. They needed to find Thomas before the night was over, and there wasn’t much time left. Instead, they found Pate, and immediately Varick was irate with him.

Not that she could blame him, even as she remembered the compliments he paid her as a bard.

“Please, just tell us,” she said with a tired sigh. “If you don’t, I can’t promise what he’ll do to you to make you tell the truth,” she gestured over to Varick.

~~~

There was one less nuisance to deal with as Drazhan disappeared with a silenced protest. But now Malina’s greatest headache stood in front of her, albeit chained, though not totally helpless.

She knew better than to underestimate the Boreal Wind in any form or shape. And one day, she will have the opportunity to silence her for good.

Especially as she tested Malina’s patience with such stupid, rhetorical questions. Malina would argue that Kirsikka wasted her time every moment they were in one another’s presence. But unfortunately, she was admittedly curious about what she was talking about.

“Exactly how far away is this town?” She already mentioned it wasn’t far away, yet not so close that they could make it by nightfall apparently. She was half tempted to just force Kirsikka walk there, bound the entire time, without any rest. Wearing the woman out would be beneficial for Malina, but she was very aware of the spite the other woman held.

And, thus, the creation of more annoyance.

Pate did look afraid, to his credit. Whether he was or wasn’t was perhaps debatable but he at least looked it as Tamsin told him it was in his best interest to help them now that he’d led them a little astray earlier.

So he gave a nervous chuckle, “All right – I can see you really need the help since they weren’t there, and I never meant to mislead. I know where some others are, just let me go.”

Varick released his collar, and Pate straightened it. “Now, if they’re not here, odds are they’re back in their own campsite trying to figure out some way to get in. Not that you can really see the, uh, campsite. Those were all destroyed.” And ransacked.

By him.

“But you know the way.” It wasn’t a question.

“Yes,” Pate smiled, “oh, do cheer up, it was an honest mistake!” Pate said and turned, “Did you get to deal with that wraith here, anyways?”

“No,” Varick said, “old friend.” a lie and a truth in one. “Did him a favor with that bird of yours, though.”

“Oh. Well. Noted.” Pate would probably not go back to the fortress to try and ransack it. “Sorry to hear about your friend. Which one was he? Some mage it seemed.”

“Dravon.”

“Aaaah,” Pate had no idea who that was.

~***~

Kirsikka didn’t have exacts. She hadn’t measured the distance, just went until Drazhan agreed they were far enough away that anything from the town was unlikely to bother them. They had also been on horseback so the distance was likely a bit more than on foot. So, of course, she just shrugged.

“When the primal said we were far enough from the town, we stopped,” she answered, “but we were on horses, so we could go further, faster, without using as much time. Walking, we’ll probably get there near dusk,” which meant any investigation of the town would be during night.

Kirsikka was prepared to walk as she was. Even to enter the town, as she was. Malina wasn’t going to unbind her for any reason. There was very little – actually nothing – that would really stop Kirsikka from immediately turning on Malina if she was unbound. Drazhan was gone where Malina didn’t know, and as much as she wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery…she wanted to kill Malina, too.

“You’re not afraid of that, are you?” The tease was only too easy, the smirk adding to the fact she wasn’t, despite the circumstances she found herself in. Or maybe she just didn’t care if she died, so long as Malina did, too.

Tamsin didn’t know if she quite believed Pate, that he had made an honest mistake. Varick didn’t seem too trusting of him, but then again, Varick was very cynical when it came to humans anyways.

Not that she could completely blame him. Tamsin had seen and experienced enough of what humanity was capable of to know that they couldn’t be fully trusted. And they certainly couldn’t fully trust Pate, even if she wanted to believe him.

“Now, I suggest that you show us to this campsite without any detours along the way.” Not that Tamsin threatened. She wasn’t threatening in the least, but at least she had Varick there to back her up, right?

She figured he didn’t want to be tricked by this Pate again either. He was far less patient than Tamsin was.

Hopefully wherever they were lead to, they didn’t encounter another spirit that knew Varick, and tried to harm them.

~~~

Malina merely scoffed at Kirsikka. “Of course I’m not afraid of that.” If she knew what was truly out there, then maybe she would be a little scared. But she assumed that whatever was indeed out there, she could easily handle on her own.

“Though of course, I’m not the one helpless right now,” she said with a smirk. If trouble were indeed to find them, Kirsikka would be on her own, powerless to stop anything that came towards her. Malina doubted she would lift a finger to save her.

She knew Kirsikka would laugh if something attacked Malina.

“If it’s going to take us that long to get there, then we best get started, shouldn't we?” She motioned for Kirsikka to lead the way, since she was the one who knew where they were going, after all.

And she didn’t trust Kirsikka to let her behind her one second.

To his credit, Pate did lead them to where a gathering of wraiths were, all of them seeming to be soldiers, and unlike poor Risa, with their disfigurements on full display rather than any appearance of being alive. The frost stuck to them in that terrible way, different in each.

An exhale at a bad time showed a face partially destroyed by icicle spikes.

An inhale, a chest full of them.

Blood had frozen in veins and broke through open wounds, exacerbating them further.

Eyes stood no chance unless they were closed, and then they were closed forever, frozen in their last tears.

Even Varick had to stop short as he saw it, more surprised it clung to them in death, though he should have realized it by the horseman, even by Dravon. ‘This land is cursed.’ Dead. The land was dead, and with it, only death remained. Even the dead couldn’t be ignorant here, and something told him these wraiths weren’t ignorant, either.

Hopefully, they weren’t opposed to help.

“So, here they are,” Pate said, “I’ll just…be on my way now.”

Varick grunted his approval at that idea, and strode forward to the wraiths.

For all their afflictions, they still had sense enough to hear an approach, perhaps to even see him in the way spirits could, because they all soon quickly turned towards him, a few drawing spectral swords. It was there he paused. “I don’t mean any harm,” he lifted his hands, “I’m here on behalf of Risa.”

~***~

Kirsikka shrugged at the comment of helpless, “I’m certain you still plan to take me back alive for a public execution, so I’m not worried at all,” Kirsikka grinned, “I know you’ll do your job, you’ve worked far too hard to let me just die out here and ruin all chances of dispelling the fear of the Boreal Wind among your people.” Which she was sure still ran rampant whenever an unexpectedly chill breeze came screeching through the market.

She hoped it always would.

She’d haunt the fuck out of them as a ghost if she could. A wraith. Something worse. She wouldn’t let death stop her if she could prevent it.

Just as she wouldn’t show any concern about being helpless, and she did indeed lead the way towards the town. Malina wasn’t going to kill her, after all. She didn’t need to worry about having her back exposed, even if it did make it a bit more difficult to try and work on the cuffs without being too obvious. Sure, they were in front, but Malina could still tell if her arms moved in a weird way to suggest trying to escape, so there wasn’t much done for that.

The town wasn’t too hard to find. Kirsikka’s memory served her well, but it was, indeed, dusk, when they reached it. She lifted her hands up towards the cathedral in the back, “See?” the symbol in stained glass wasn’t exactly the same, but it was terribly similar, to the Council of Light’s symbol for the Ineffable One, “And the town looks well maintained, doesn’t it? Not like the rest out here. Maybe your friends are there and they’ll give you a bed for the night.”

A bed made of nails, ideally.

Kirsikka noticed a fog starting to rise in the dying light in the town, but wouldn’t mention it. ‘That’s…decidedly not good.’

Upon seeing the horrific frozen disfigurements of the wraiths, Tamsin gasped and stepped closer to Varick. She wanted to bury her head into his chest and hide from the horrors that permanently resided on the land, but she resisted. Her hand did grip his upper arm as she remained silent in her silent observation.

She didn’t even notice when Pate left, her mind too preoccupied by the grotesque figures suspended forever in death.

What is such a fate as forever remaining on the land with the very wounds that killed you? Was there a chance for an eternal rest for these wraiths?

And Varick’s question reminded Tamsin that they were at least trying to help one wraith back at the village to obtain her eternal rest.

There was a brief pause after Varick asked his question. Some of the wraiths sheathed their spectral swords, and one spoke up, “Risa? I know that name.” It was clear with how the wraith met his fate, with spikes of ice protruding from his chest, and Tamsin could tell that he would have completely lost his vision in life from his eyes being frozen.

“We’re looking for Thomas, who was engaged to her,” Tamsin spoke, but not stepping away from Varick.

The same wraith spoke, “I’m the Thomas you’re looking for.”

~~~

Malina sent a glare to Kirsikka. If she could muzzle the woman, she would. Well, maybe she could find some creative ways to silence the woman, but there may be questions still. She may need the woman to talk for reasons not yet known.

She certainly didn’t want to be the only voice in this strange, unknown land.

Malina followed Kirsikka, mindful of any sudden tricks she may play despite being bound. Kirsikka was still a tricky and crafty bitch. Shackles wouldn’t keep her for too long, but maybe fear would.

And if Kirsikka tried anything, Malina would make sure she knew that she would find the Primal she had been with and kill him. She would enjoy seeing the life leave his eyes.

At dusk, they came upon the deserted town. Kirsikka motioned to the cathedral with the symbol, which Malina looked at with furrowed brows. The symbol did look similar…but it had to be a coincidence, right?

And the town did look well maintained, compared to the rest of what she has seen of the lands, which was…quite the opposite.

Her curiosity got the better of her. “Continue walking towards it,” she demanded, motioning for Kirsikka to walk forward. They would both check out the town, the fog not even registering on Malina’s mind. Not with how creepy everything else seemed.

Varick wouldn’t force Tamsin away. He wished he could be more of a comfort for her before these horrors, but he could not be. He could not make it vanish. He could not make it easier for her to endure. She managed to speak, to gain clarity from the wraiths, and Thomas came forward at that. “You…know you’re dead, right?” Varick couldn’t help but ask.

Thomas gave a bit of a bitter laugh, “No, sirrah, I thought the icicles protruding from my chest were but a flesh wound,” he answered, before he scowled and lost all humor, “I know. I cannot move on. The Boreal Wind in the fortress—”

“She’s not here,” Varick sighed, “another mage is, but he’s not doing this, either. He’s also dead.” Varick said. “The land is cursed.” Thomas spat at it, as if that would convince the land to give up its curse. He was likely just angry. He had every right to be angry.

“Then why are you here, Primal? What does Risa have to do with this?”

“She’s dead, too,” Varick sighed, and hated the way the man’s expression softened, fell, and lost what life was in it at that.

The small whisper of, “No,” did not help matters.

“I’m here to help her move on before she poisons your shared home.”

~***~

“As you command,” Kirsikka didn’t bother hiding the derision on her tone as she walked on, ‘I hope its your funeral.’ As she approached the town, she did notice the fog parting ahead of her, and noticed it stayed that way around her as she walked in.

She also noticed it did not part around Malina. She was wading through it, but Kirsikka wouldn’t point it out as figures manifested in the fog. Drained people, gaunt, mere skin and bones. Some were burned. Some looked as if they’d been fasting and flagellating themselves in some religious ritual. Many of them wore little more than rags, or torn robes, and several had the marking of the church on their forehead.

They stopped as they noticed the duo entering. Silence fell as the murmuring of their routines ended, and all attention fell on the pair.

Then, one pointed, and let out a banshee-like shriek. It was loud enough that even Kirsikka wanted to cover her ears, but of course, she couldn’t. She could just wince and try not to stumble as she was almost certain her eardrums were broken. She wasn’t too successful, balance going as she stumbled and fell, catching herself on her bound hands, and missing the sight of one of the fiends rushing at her, only to dissolve into fog before they reached her.

Malina wasn’t so lucky.

Wherever the fog touched, the creatures could, and the fog touched Malina.

Tamsin could feel her heart shattering at Thomas’s expression and his small whisper upon the news of Risa’s death. Of course even in his death and departure from what could have been with his fiance, he would want her to continue living, to have a wonderful life, even if it may have been with someone else.

If there was an afterlife, maybe they could be reunited there, if they could also help Thomas move on.

But if these lands were cursed, was that possible?

Oh how Tamsin wanted to cry.

“Well, what is there that I can do? I’m stuck on these lands, cursed as you can see. Why exactly did you come here?” Thomas asked, voice not as angry as it was earlier, but still full of sorrow.

“We’re hoping you can help us figure out something that might be keeping Risa here,” Tamsin said after she found her voice. “Maybe an object close to her. Maybe even something you gave her, right?” she turned her head towards Varick as she asked for confirmation, unsure of exactly how all…of this still worked.

~~~

Malina did not at first notice how the fog parted around Kirsikka, yet not her.

Especially as she saw the people, if they could be called that, stop and look over at the duo. Malina straightened and readied her hands with flames that consumed them. In the moment Kirsikka fell over, she took a glance at the woman, and noticed how the fog avoided her.

The shackles that blocked all magic. Of course.

With the banshee shriek, Malina moved closer to Kirsikka so that the fog no longer touched her. The flames in her hands shaped into balls of fire, and she hurled them at the creatures that rushed at them. They dissolved back into the fog, but Malina knew the danger was far from over.

There were too many of them, and with Kirsikka bound, and staying that way, she contemplated on escaping the town until a better idea could be planned.

“Get up. We’re going to leave this town for now,” she commanded at Kirskka, eyes not wavering from the creatures, and fireballs hurled at them whenever they tried to attack the women.

Varick sighed as Tamsin tried to explain, “Not exactly,” he said, “We think she’s staying because she hasn’t accepted you’ve died. We need something of yours that she would recognize. Proof of your passing.” It was always possible he lived and never made it back home. It wouldn’t be the first time a soldier ran off, for any number of reasons.

“Do you know where you fell?”

Thomas glanced at the others, half-checking for an argument or protest, but none offered it. So, he looked back to Varick, “Yes, I can show you the spot,” he agreed, and did indeed take them around to the battlefront lines, where there were still decaying bodies. They were mostly bone and cloth by now.

He knew his, of course, and stopped by it, “This was me. I…I had a brooch she gave me. For luck. I haven’t…I haven’t checked if it is still there.” It was, in a way, too much, and he lifted a hand to where it reflected itself on his spectral form.

Varick knelt and turned the body over, careful with it.

The brooch had not yet been looted. He took it into hand and rose, noting, “You may be able to come with us, with this brooch. Your attachment to it may be enough, if you want to see her,” Varick didn’t know what the odds were…but it was worth a shot, wasn’t it?

~***~

Malina noticed in time to save herself, in time to give Kirsikka a direction to get up. They were leaving.

‘No. Hell no.’

She did not get here only to run away. Sure, it was probably the smart thing, and if Malina had been Drazhan, she might have listened. As it was, Malina was not Drazhan, and Kirsikka very much wanted Malina to die. That she was protected, at least from these creatures, was an added bonus.

So she sat up, appeared to regroup – before she kicked off from the ground and bolted forward, hoping to leave Malina far enough in the dust (or fog, really), that she was overcome by the fiends and had to fight. That she might die, though Kirsikka knew that might be pushing her luck, as she ran for the looming cathedral and did, at least, manage to make it that far.

Of course, the damn door was locked.

She threw a kick into one of them to little avail. She hardly had the strength, or the balance, for that. At least she didn’t topple herself again with the gesture of frustration, before she turned to find a window she could more easily break with bound hands to get in. Ideally before Malina caught up to her, but beggars, choosers.

Malina certainly wouldn’t run back if she made it to the chapel, right? And she could burn down annoying doors.

As they approached the piles of bones and cloth, Tamsin stayed behind a few feet, unable to stomach being any closer to the sight. She wanted to bury her face into Varick’s chest and wished to be transported back into the warmth and comfort of some room at an inn.

But this was her reality now, dealing with wraiths and monsters and magic and long-dead bodies. She could do this.

Tamsin found herself not wanting Varick to think she was weak.

They found the brooch Risa had given Thomas, which by some miracle hadn’t been looted yet. Thomas nodded at Varick’s question without hesitation. “If it is possible, I would like to see her. One last time.”

Oh, Tamsin could feel her heart breaking again. “Then we’ll take you to see her, and hopefully you two will be able to talk.”

Thomas nodded, grateful for the opportunity. Oh how he missed his beloved Risa, even with his bitterness in death.

~~~

Malina had expected complacency.

She hadn’t expected Kirsikka to take off running further into the town towards the church. “Why you sniveling little c-,” she was interrupted by the creatures coming after her again. With a yell, Malina sent a wave of flames towards them, effectively halting them from attacking her.

Waves, balls, everything she could think of, Malina made it rain fire on the creatures as she made her way to the church. The numbers were slowly becoming overwhelming, but a quick burst of fire all around her and spread out away from her dissolved those trying to attack her back into the misty fog.

She made it to the church just as Kirsikka turned to find a window. “You just made a big mistake,” she hissed, grabbing the shackles around Kirsikka’s wrists and heating up the metal that kept her bound and magicless.

Malina moved them back to the door, and with a gust of wind that she normally used to feed her fires, the door flew open.

There would be no returning to the wraith party. Varick led them back to where he and Tamsin left their horses, and mounted up on Marzipan. Thomas didn’t have a horse, but that should be no issue; wraiths weren’t really bound by human concepts of movement speeds, though many never overcame that.

The brooch would do its job and bind him, though. If it worked out. “Hopefully, we’ll see you on the other side, Thomas.” Not the other side of death, of course. Just the other side of this battlefield.

Thomas nodded, and though he stayed where he was – and then faded out – when Varick turned his horse away, he did feel his presence go along with the brooch. Varick didn’t look back to see if he followed in any capacity, though.

He just hoped when he left the field, his deathly disfigurements would also vanish. That’d be one horror he didn’t want to inflict on Risa.

As they reached the edge of the field, he spoke up, “I’m sorry for having to subject you to this,” he noted, “I…didn’t know the field would be this bad. Or that Dravon would be…here.” And now there was a question of how trapped Dravon was, or wasn’t. “I’m going to tell the captain he needs to actually hire people to clean this area up. More than just Primals.” It needed to be restored. Brought back to life.

But some of the other Primals could make a bit of gold, too.

~***~

Seeing Malina was no surprise.

The surprise was the sudden heat. ‘How?!’ Kirsikka’s surprise was obvious as she let out a startled cry when the pain shot through her wrists. The metal should have prevented that! In binding her magic, it should have stopped Malina from using it in proximity, damnit! She quickly shut up her own cry, and caught sight of the fog licking at her own feet now.

Apparently, Malina had just pierced her way through the magical shield, and Kirsikka tried to pull magic out from her fingertips, to no avail. It wasn’t that significant a break, unfortunately, and she was pulled through the church doors when they opened, into the well-lit building.

Well-lit, and seemingly, empty, building.

‘Definitely not empty.’ Although Kirsikka saw no one there in that front room, there were side rooms. There was behind the altar.

At least the fog didn’t seep underneath the doors. Kirsikka was a bit disappointed by that as she fought against the urge to struggle, not willing to give Malina that pleasure. Better to just…endure the pain with as little reaction as possible. She gave Malina enough reaction already.

The pews were immaculate. The flames were white, and hovered over their sconces. Magic was clearly in play here despite the lack of fog. The rug that led to the altar was as blindingly white, pale gold woven in to match the window design, and behind the altar was hung a similar design. “Maybe you’re in time to be a sacrifice to their god.” Kirsikka could only hope, words hissed out.

Tamsin followed Varick, and mounted up on Luna when they reached their horses. She looked as Thomas faded from their sight. While she still felt pity and sympathy for Thomas, she was also relieved to an extent to not have to see the horrors of his death anymore.

It was too much. The realities of war were too much.

Tamsin, absorbed in her own thoughts as they left the field in silence, slightly jumped when Varick spoke up. “Oh, um, it’s alright. You didn’t know, and I think even if you did know, I would still want to come along, to help Risa.” She had promised the dead woman that she’d help, after all.

“I imagine that mages will also need to help in cleaning this area?” she wondered. If she ever learned how to control and use her own magic, could she help? Help all these souls move on, so that no one would remain in purgatory for an indeterminate amount of time.

And of course, for now she was ignoring Dravon and what he said to her. There was too much for her to already focus on that night, overthinking her own situation would overwhelm her into hysteria.

~~~

Malina was immensely satisfied by Kirsikka’s cry at the heat, that she didn’t think about what the shackles were supposed to do. That they weren’t supposed to absorb the heat generated by her magic.

Upon entrance into the church, she let go of Kirsikka, sparing her from any more heat. The fog didn’t follow them into the church, which in of itself was a blessing, but Malina didn’t like the implications of that.

It meant there was something magical about the church.

White, white, and white. There was so much blinding white. “If anyone is to be sacrificed here, it will be you.” But what, exactly, was going on here?

Not risking being the first to face anything, Malina motioned for Kirsikka to step forward. “After you.”

Varick had not know the exact horrors they would witness, that was true. He had not realized how badly Mont Pellinor was left, and didn’t even understand how, or why. Of course, he didn’t understand magic. He didn’t fully understand the intent behind what was done, either, or what brought it about – but he knew what the field was from not-quite similar, but close enough, locations.

Cursed was an understatement.

So, he did still feel some guilt despite Tamsin attempting to relieve him of it through ignorance of what awaited. “Yes. They’ll want to contact the Council of Light,” why hadn’t that been done already? Well, he supposed much of the malevolence of that field was directed towards the Council who had betrayed the Ordo Sors. Perhaps there was something to that which made it harder to work on.

Or perhaps there was some political or religious reason to leave it lying. Use it as an example of how foul their enemies were.

Varick wouldn’t pretend to know. He just knew the danger it was.

The ride back was thankfully without incidence, save for the fact sunset threatened the edges of the dark. Varick was quick to dismount and leave Marzipan behind in the army camp, ignoring the captain when he approached to talk and walking off back to the town, back to Risa’s home…or, well, what was once Risa’s home.

She had waited there for them, sitting besides the space, and rose at their approach, before gasping.

Thomas appeared…and removed from Mont Pellinor, he was sans wounds.

~***~

Kirsikka couldn’t even sooth her wrists, heated and now scraped up more by the shackles. It was terribly uncomfortable, not that the goal was her comfort. She was tempted to refuse Malina’s invitation to go ahead out of sheer spite and frustration with that pain, but she knew that was only an invitation for more.

Besides, she wanted to explore this place.

So, she walked ahead, towards the front, glancing through the pews, and at the altar, looking at the texts she couldn’t grab within the podium, before looking further at what was behind it. There was a rather large, metal sculpture of a sun, which had space beneath it that looked as if it could be used for fire.

Her only thought was of a torture device.

Or, indeed, a device for sacrificing others by burning them within.

Then again, that could just be her wrists talking.

The thought didn’t leave, though. There was no way it was just a giant incense holder.

There wasn’t much else within the public eye, and so on it was to the side passages. These doors weren’t locked – no need to lock them within, it seemed – and Kirsikka stepped through the one to the right, noticing it definitely connected to the one on the right.

There were stairs up, and back rooms, along with the sound of voices from one of the back rooms.

Kirsikka went right to the room with voices, because fuck Malina, even if she couldn’t make out what was being said.

Tamsin was surprised, but also just as much relieved, that Thomas reappeared without the grotesque wounds he sustained at Mont Pellinor. Thomas and Risa were both so young, most likely younger than Tamsin, and yet suffered such tragic fates.

The thought caused tears to prickle at the back of Tamsin’s eyes, but she quickly blinked them away.

“Thomas,” Risa breathed, stepping forward towards him.

“Risa.” Similarly, Thomas took a step forward as well until the couple were embracing, bittersweet emotions running across their faces.

Tamsin subconsciously took a step toward Varick and wrapped her arms around herself as she silently watched the scene, wishing it didn’t have to end. Wishing they didn’t have to part and could be together.

~~~

Malina followed behind Kirsikka, hands stretched out and ready for any attack that may happen.

It was just too clean, too white, and too bright in the church for her own comfort. And with those creatures right outside that wanted to kill them?

She heard indecipherable voices murmur all around her, enveloping on all sides. She paused in her steps as Kirsikka continued on. Behind her, in front of her, there was no one, yet the murmur of the voices grew louder, that she was sure they were right next to her.

Oh Mal, you try your very best, don’t you? But it’s just never good enough, isn’t it?

She spun around to try and find who said that, flames licking at her fingertips in preparation.

Little Mal, no matter how hard you try, you’ll just never be as good as Kirsikka, won’t you?

Frustration bubbled up in her chest. Her eyes snapped to a door next to her, and she opened it to see if the voices were coming from within. Or if she could escape the voices in there.

You just need some help. Some guidance. You need a purpose and understanding in your life. Only then will you be able to better hone your magic and crush those who failed you.

There was nothing more that Varick needed to do. Reunited in death, the pair began the process of moving on without help. As they parted from the embrace, already they were fading from the world of humans. It was a sweet scene as words and laughs and tears were exchanged rapidly, heedless of their vanishing act.

For them, maybe it didn’t seem like they were vanishing.

He noticed Tamsin wrapping her arms around herself as she watched and he stepped to her, and put an arm around her shoulders. The scene was hard in its way, and she’d seen enough hard things for one day. He didn’t want her to feel all alone with it, even though he could never alleviate it all. He could at least still acknowledge he was there, and aware of her presence.

Risa gasped all of a sudden, perhaps recognizing what was going on, and stepped towards them, lifting an arm up to wave, “Thank you, thank you both!” as Thomas wrapped an arm around her waist, and they both, finally, faded from the world of the living without being able to say or offer much more.

It was enough for Varick.

He let out a sigh of relief when they were gone. Now came the hard part of telling the captain and getting his pay, before heading off after not sleeping at all. It was going to be a tiring rest of the day, but he didn’t feel like resting in an encampment.

That was just too risky.

“Let’s go tell the captain,” he spoke to Tamsin as he slowly moved his arm away, to head back to where the encampment was to let them know the good news.

~***~

Something was getting to Malina. That much was obvious as Kirsikka paused, watching her wrench open a door, fire at her fingertips. Would now be a good time to try running again, while she was bothered? Perhaps, but her own curiosity got the better of her, and she opened the door.

Within was a creature? human? Something – Drazhan might have known – slumped over a fleshy box murmuring into it. It jolted at that, and stared at her, wide-eyed. “You’re…you’re not…affected?”

She raised her bound wrists, “Are you tormenting my captor? If so, I’ll leave you be,” he could continue that, and she could go on her way to do whatever she wanted. In fact, she stepped back to hurry out of the room, but didn’t hurry enough before the stranger grasped the chain that held her hands and pulled her back with a grunt

Damnit.’ Should have moved faster. A lot faster.

What the box was suddenly clicked. “You’re a lich.”

Probably shouldn’t have said that aloud. He straightened up with a hiss of offense, “I am no mere lich,” he declared, “I was chosen, brought back by the Ineffable One, our glorious, all cleansing White Sun!”

Kirsikka should have been afraid. She should have been surprised – but hearing Ineffable One alongside White Sun just caused her to start laughing.

Unbeknownst to her, of course, without the bindings, the Lich really did look like a holy messiah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back