Other Preferences in a RP Group

Heavenchi

✧"a wondering mind."✧
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
H E Y O,

My name is Heaven but I also go by Charm. I'm currently an admin of a Fantasy RP and it got me thinking . . . Anyhow, I was just wondering what the masses require/desire in group RPS (Fantasy/Sci-Fi in particular) in order to stay long term. Is it structure? If so how much? Lore, heavy or light? Immense creative liberties, or other things entirely?
I'm curious but also just wanna talk about it. Let's get a discussion going?<3 - Heaven (Charm)

Last edited:
Hmmm... I wouldn't recommend using that font when posting outside of RP, it's a bit cluttered which makes it a tad harder to read (AKA some people won't actually be able to read it)

Well, I can't really speak for "the masses", so I'll try to adress mostly what I am looking for in group RPs. Keep in mind though that I am by no means representative of a majority: In fact my needs in roleplay tend to be rather...let's just say "out there".

1.Basic Necessities for Participation
So, the first things I need is the basic ability to be in the RP. This includes the RP being something that interests me to begin with, and that I believe has potential to keep that interest going. Your choice in plot, as well as the way in which you present said plot are what I go for in determining this. The overall information given in the interes check and how much focus is given to each thing also tends to tell me where the GM's priorities are and what kind of GM I can expect them to be. A compatible GM is a crucial aspect of being able to be in an RP because the GM is the person whom you're putting in charge of such things as the plot and direction of the RP, your inclusion into the narrative, and to solve any issues or conflicts between players. A GM needs to reliable, motivated and able to differenciate between what to leave open and what to impose. It's no easy task, so having a GM whose thinking you can along with is absolutely a necessity.

For instance, a GM who keeps talking about a certain character in their interest check seems to me like someone telling me about their OC, in other words, the GM is enthusiastic about the character moreso than the setting or plot, and the players will probably find this Mary Sue character whom the whole plot seems to center around and it will be a bore all around. A GM who spends a lot of the interest check discussing the environmental historical condtions of the RP's setting may be a tad too concerned with historical accuracy for what I can handle.

The last basic necessity is to be able to play in the style I like to play in. Personally, I am a detailed first person roleplayer that roleplays on threads. If any of that is a problem with the GM, then that roleplay isn't for me. One question I tend to ask in interest checks is "what are the posting requirements?". This has two purposes: For one, if I'm expected to post, say, once per day, I know I can't keep such a pace and therefore can't participate. If the RP doesn't have decent post requirements though, I will probably get a lot of short and bland responses to my own posts, which will bore me to death, so that isn't somehting I'd like to participate in either.

2.Tweaking, Not Scratching Characters (GM standards)

In regards to my freedom as a roleplayer, to me the first clue starts during character creation. I tend to begin by gathering information, which can help me parse the thought that the GM put into things. If the GM's answers are too vague or contradictory, then I can generalize that they didn't put a whole lot of thought into how the setting was built. This usually goes mostly for magic systems. After I get the information is where the real last part starts: I make a character and the GM naturally ought to look over them.

Now, the GM here has two things I ask of them. If they are too quick or mindless in the approval (and that appears to be a general pattern) then they are likely to be a spineless type, a GM that has little ability to say no or who believes in absolute freedom in character creation. For someone who cherishes a good narrative such as myself, that is an nightmare.

On the other hand, if a GM does say no to something, they should point at specific problems and collaborate with the players to fix the problem. This implies that an actual problem should always exist if you're pushing back the character. If the problem is that you don't feel comfortable with the type of character I am making, as if often the case when I make a child character for instance, this will immediately shatter my trust in you, because it means that you weren't aware of it enough to put it in the rules (otherwise I wouldn't have made such a character in the first place), but you nonetheless feel a vague feeling is enough to label my work as something that needs to be rejected. It means that what you like, YOUR tastes is liable to break my hard work at a moment's notice, and that is not something a reliable GM would do.

A good test for whether you're doing this is, are you offering an alternative? Is there a way to keep the character's concept but fix the issue? With the exception of the rare case where the character concept itself is the issue, not the details, which is a bit more nebulous, if you don't see a way to fix the thing other than removing the concept as a whole, it's probably your bias. In which case I recommend either getting over it or making sure to point it out beforehand through the rules. For instance, I have a personal bone to pick with demon characters, so in my roleplays I make sure to put in the rules that demons aren't allowed.

This may seem like a trivial issue, but trust between the Gm and the players is a fragile thing. If the GM starts missing out or lying to the players, things can get shaky fast.

3.Cooperation and Involvement

So far it's been mostly about what not to do, so let's talk a little about what to actually do. Also so far we've mostly been going over just the entry into the RPitself, and the ultimate decision of whether or not to participate. Now I think it's a good time to go over the actual time in the RP. An RP basically needs to make it feel like it's worth my time to participate in it. This means that the RP needs to engage with me, bringing new and exciting elements, but not fail to deliver a narrative or ignore the impact my presence ought to make.

Still, that probably sounds vague and complicated, because it is, but I'll try to break it down in a way that's a it simpler to understand and tackle. This engagement that I refer to has multiple fronts. Sure, the plot and setting are mostly defined by the GM, but at this point, not everything is in the GM's hands anymore. Players who can keep up their spirits and try to offer genuinely interesting responses and who try to keep other players in mind when they do, these players make the shine of any roleplay. Player cooperation and friendliness can be promoted by the GM, but ultimately it falls on the players to deliver for that.

Which doesn't mean that the GM shouldn't also try to involve the players. Remember that players are in your RP for themselves. Seldom will you find a player who is so fascinated with your world or plot that they are willing to bend their own wishes for their characters just to get more exposition in your world or who will be happy to do so to move the plot forward. When you come up with and develop the several events of your plot, trying to take a genuine interest in your player's characters and truly involve them by exploring their character arcs, helping the player play out the sort of concept they wanted to go for with the character and other such actions will earn you much favor from your players I believe. The most important thing is never making the players feel like they are just a footnote or like their hardwork and contribution is being disregarded.

4.Pacing and OOC

This part is far simpler, and may not seem all that obvious at first glance. What's the importance of OOC for the RP? Can't people roleplay or stay engaged in a roleplay even if they OOC less? Doesn't he OOC distract players? Why is the pacing that important, aren't faster posts better, isn't moving along the plot always better? However, in pratice, these are extremely important for a healthy group roleplay.

The most commonly known of the two is the OOC rule. Statistically speaking, the less active your OOC the more players tend to be just absent altogether just from forgetting your RP exists. This kills hype. OOC discussions help players bond and get each other hyped for what's to come, while an empty OOC will make players grow increasingly bored, or that the environment feels more like a desk job than a group of friends. This is probably the most general advise I can give, because while I know it from personal experience it's not a particularly massive issue for me.

Now, the pacing. While some simple RPs can afford to have a messy pacing, other RPs have to be careful. It would take forever to explain these, so I'll keep them in bullet points:
*What happens when the pacing is pretty fast, so people expect it to keep going, but turns out it was only the beggining boom?
*What happens when the OOC or IC pacing is too fast for a number of players to keep up with the events, or even just one or two players? Will a player ever really feel included if before they can put in input the plot took three steps ahead of them?
*On the other hand, I doubt I need to explain what happens when the pacing is slowed down to a crawl
*If you keep making time jumps, your RP will feel disjointed and it increases the odds someone will get lost or that you interrupt otherwise good character moments.

5.Slow Moments

Lastly, this one is pretty hard to give advise for, since it's one of the biggest struggles GMs face out there. It goes like this: Your RP will have, inevitably, moments were effectively nothing is happening. Characters have some time to just chat and characterize, but wait, the players aren't making a move or introducing anything of their own. What to do?

For a lot of RPs, this is actually the MAJORITY of the RP, because most plots don't lend themselves to the characters always doing something for the plot. Knowing how to handle slow moments is the utmost need for a GM's ultimate success, in my opinion.

Anyways, I rushed a bit at the end, but I hope you find this useful. Good luck and happy Rping!

Hmmm... I wouldn't recommend using that font when posting outside of RP, it's a bit cluttered which makes it a tad harder to read (AKA some people won't actually be able to read it)
Changed.Jesus, you had alooot to say on the subject. I really wasn't expecting paragraphs upon paragraphs for an answer~.

I noticed the GM and interest check play a huge role for you. I can honestly say I'm a bit more lenient than you in my wishes. I like to see a loose plot (not to set in stone) and an open GM. By an open GM, I mean that I'd like to be able to suggest without them getting perturbed or outright rude. I absolutely agree with the OOC thing, it actually makes me uncomfortable to see members not actively chatting with one another.

Well, I don't really have much to say, unfortunately. You outright said your opinions and plop. Well, thanks for your view! It's very thorough.

Anyways, I rushed a bit at the end, but I hope you find this useful. Good luck and happy Rping!
Likewise~.

Thanks, though the font size seems to have been halved? Or did I just not notice that before?

Jesus, you had alooot to say on the subject. I really wasn't expecting paragraphs upon paragraphs for an answer~.
Well, I am quite an opinionated person :P Plus I like to be thorough when giving advice

I like to see a loose plot (not to set in stone)
I think you completely misunderstood me there. Not once did I ever say that the plot should be set in stone. However, the plot SHOULD have a sense of direction and have influence from the GM to steer it, in my opinion. That doesn't mean the plot isn't at all flexible, it just means that the plot has somewhere it wants to go and where it is visibly headed. There is an overarching goal or conflict and the GM intervienes to help the players feel involved within that context, to tie their arcs to it etc...

I do agree with your notion of an open GM as well, and never suggested otherwise. In fact, if not here then I have in past suggested that a GM must be willing to be flexible and take suggestions. That said, a GM that doesn't know how to say "no" will see their work crumbling around them. This has different impacts on dfferent people, from loss of motivation to the RP being a huge mess and many others, but the effect of it is never positive. A good GM needs to know how to balance out what they are receptive to including.

Well, I don't really have much to say, unfortunately. You outright said your opinions and plop. Well, thanks for your view! It's very thorough.
There's no problem with that. Say what you feel you must say, and for the rest contemplation is enough :)

I think you completely misunderstood me there.
Thought wrong~. I was just saying what I liked. I most likely misworded it though? I was just saying I like this way, similar to you.
EDIT: Similar to you diluted a tad.

Etto, looking at the rps I joined that last a long time, the similarity that they have is they have a solid lore, if not expansive, and more importantly, a good community in the RP.

Like without at least interesting plot on the road or a piece of lore that has a lot of potential to be developed organically by RPers, the interest can drift away if they aren't too invested in their characters. Having something to explore (by PC and RPer both) will keep interest piping hot or at least keep it from being tepid.

Roleplaying is a very much social activity, I think. If the roleplayers aren't communicating with each other or the GM is a silent observer in a galaxy far far away, it's likely for the RP to die. I don't think it's a factor that can be controlled. Sometimes the group's chemistry is just right and it keeps chatters going and sometimes there isn't chemistry and the OOC is like ghost town. The GM's presence can affect how the RP's community grow, but it all depends on the players imo.

My preferences are mostly fandom, though I also have interest in Japanese history. Because of that, I'm not fond of extensive lore. I'll already know at least parts of it from coming in contact with material from the fandom or history in question previously. If there is extensive lore, it won't feel natural to me. I'd be told things specifically for the sake of that RP, instead of being shown things at my pace, over time, because I liked it, not because I needed to know. It's just much more organic to memorize. At the same time, I don't like "open-ended"/"sandbox" plots, because they look to me like the GM isn't that committed to it.

Past that point, I need to know what I'm getting into, because if I can't, I'll assume the worst possibilities and back off. Since I'll be spending time and effort writing for the RP, I need to have the closest thing to a guarantee that my efforts will be reciprocated that I can. I need to feel like the other RPers are capable of keeping the story interesting, just like I'm trying my best to do. I need to feel like the GM won't be favoring specific characters, derailling the plot at their whim, or simply being unreasonable and unwilling to talk to the players.

Another important thing to me is the pacing. I dislike rushed posting. I get that for some people slower posts might be a turn-off, but what if that's the price for better quality? I'm completely fine with setting a minimum of 1 post per week, for example. If people can post more, that's great. But if they feel like that's too much pressure, give them more time. At this point I just really want to know what it's like to be in a long-lasting RP, so I'd easily agree to slower pacings too. If the problem isn't availability but ideas, it helps when the OOC chat is friendly and inspirational.

So, in a more idealistic summary: If I like the setting, I need to feel that the RP is reliable, not likely to die quickly or to make me feel like the efforts of the people involved were wasted.

I rarely rp in groups, but when I did there was one thing that was super important for me to keep my interest going, assuming the setting is interesting enough.

Organization.

One of the reasons I don't like group rps is that often it gets too chaotic when people post out of turn. Because of time zones you wake up and see 50 messages posted while you were sleeping when the plot went ahead and everyone forgot your character was in the middle of doing something. That sort of thing is the instant turn off. So I would like to see clear rules for the rp organization, like posting order, average post length, rules for combat (if applicable) etc.

The information on the lore should also look organized so that it would be easy to find a bit of lore you might need to refer to during rp. It also shows that at least the GM is committed enough, so it may be a sign they won't abandon the rp.

I am smitten with the horror genre, and some fantasy stuff, but I can't get through oceans of lore to get into it. I need to be able to quickly glance through to see if I'd be interested.

Structure is important, but so is flexibility. Some GMs just really, really, really like world building. But many do it poorly.
The game I'm currently in, The Last Judgement does a stellar job at giving you enough to understand, and also offering plenty of opportunities to flex elements, and also since we move locations a lot, characters can kind of just swoop in without prior events really effecting how they'll begin their characters' paths.

Options are nice. Open roles are nice.

But a GM also needs to be able to guide players through. This is done best, I find, if their own character can act as a plot device. I've GMed a crapload of games, for reference.

All in all, it's a delicate balance. It's not unlike you getting into a TV show. Is it binge-worthy? Can you pick up the concepts organically without heavy-handed explanations? Is there something interesting keeping things moving? Is there freedom, flexibility, but enough to work with? Is the GM hype as heck?

Things like that. I'm wicked picky, tbh, so, it also boils down to 'gut feeling' which really isn't helpful in explaining what I look for in a group RP. Sorry xD Haha.

I've realized I tend to enjoy RP's with people who are just excited about roleplaying as I am, which is why I enjoy striking up conversation OOC. It makes me excited to interact with a character if I can talk about them with their creator.

What takes me out of the RP universe is if there is just one or two people who RP any "differently" from the group. This could be a unique writing style, the use of BBCode when everyone else isn't using it (or vice versa), or writing in another POV from everyone else. Sometimes the RP experience is more immersive and pleasing to read if there is an aspect of uniformity. Having an odd one out won't make me drop a roleplay, and I don't even find it that irritating. It's really just a matter of personal preference, and I commend anyone who isn't afraid to step outside of the lines. I have been that person on occasion, but sometimes I regret my decision afterwards when everyone is doing something else.

As a GM, I usually circumvent this by having a rule to write in a specific POV, but I don't mind BBCode as long as it's mobile friendly and doesn't have hidden or too many scrolls. I also try to take initiative and talk to my people OOC. c:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back